Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves

Hadley Hutton

June 4, 2010

It’s been awhile since I talked about Hadley Hutton and since she has added many new works to her collection, today feels like a good time to share her with you again. Are you familiar with this American artist? Her illustrations are beautiful and her encaustic paintings are my favorites – I own a few originals that I’ve purchased over the years and though they still sit in my cellar waiting to be unpacked once we finally move, at least I know they are there and I feel excited just thinking that soon I may be able to display them again! It looks like we may be moving on September 1st though we won’t know for sure until next week – but once I know for sure it will be happy dance time!

Hadley Hutton

It’s been such a hassle trying to find a permanent space, we’ve been living in what was our vacation apartment for nearly a year and it’s very cramped for a couple both working from home. I’ve whined about this enough (blah blah blah), I know, but your friendly blogger here is reaching her tipping point because living in limbo with boxes unpacked is frustrating despite how hard I try to put a positive spin on it. If you’ve ever lived “between homes” then you certainly understand my feelings! I just want to see and display my “stuff”. It feels a bit lonely not having access to the things that inspire me the most like my books, craft supplies, fabrics… I even miss my Epson color printer and I want to unpack all of my clothes, shoes and handbags. I’m getting bored with my wardrobe!

But yes, enough complaining from me — back to the lovely Hadley and her truly inspirational work which is available in her etsy shop and on her website as prints, originals, cards, even pillows! About her style her bio says, “Hadley’s work is a blend of traditional painting and modern design. She draws inspiration from Asian patterns and motifs, Victorian die cuts, and geometric designs. Her work explores nature’s beauty, people’s influence on their surroundings, and the environment’s influence on people. The works are layered with colored pencil and watercolor pencil drawings, ink, archival digital media, pastels and encaustics.”

Pretty!

(images: hadley hutton)

30 Comments

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee June 4, 2010 at 10:14 am

so sweet!!! love the birdies. thanks for sharing.

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Friday Find: Summer Decorating with Coral Accents =-.

• Reply Elkie June 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

I feel your pain. My boyfriend and I are in between homes ourselves. It’s a bit chaotic. I’m an artist/designer he’s a drummer. Our things are closing in on us along with all the boxes we’ve packed. I just keep envisioning our new home and counting the days! We are all so lucky to have the chance to reinvent ourselves time and time again. I’d love to add one of Hadley Hutton’s pieces to that reinvention!
    .-= Elkie´s last blog ..Across the Universe We Go =-.

• Reply Brigitte June 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I heart Hadley – thank you for sharing her new work.

And…ugh. I don’t blame you at all for getting a bit down on the apartment hunt. *Hugs.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..A Year of Blogging =-.

• Reply Traveling Mama June 4, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Her work is absolutely beautiful! I may have to join in the whining, because though I am enormously grateful to my family for letting us crash at their houses these last five months… I’m ready to go home! I miss my own bed and my “stuff” and just feeling at home. And even if I have to get on an airplane, learn yet another language, and live in a whole new culture… at least I will be in my home! :-) Have you heard any more about the place you guys were looking at?
    .-= Traveling Mama´s last blog ..on {running} =-.

• Reply kat June 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I <3 her stuff! I did a post on her awhile ago, she's very talented.

• Reply hena tayeb June 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm

very lovely and interesting work.. sometimes i get the feel she also makes use of a wax like product. Very pretty.
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..The Perfect Weekend =-.

• Reply Stine June 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I love Hadley Hutton!
    I actually wrote about her on my blog as well… Discovered her through her DaWanda shop. Such nice colors, patterns and animals!!

Hug from Stine in Norway :)

• Reply Shanon June 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Her work is perfection. =) I bet you are super excited to get yours out of storage!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..After the long weekend… =-.

• Reply cristina June 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

That boxed-up limbo is no fun for protracted periods of time! I’m sure you’ve tried this – but it helped a lot to move things around or change a few things (photos, or a pareo on the bed). Tough stuff and I hope you get to settle somewhere soon. It’s the unsettled limbo part that’s the hurdle, unless you’re actually shooting for a nomadic existence, which can be fun. I forgot who did the study, but it turns out that humans don’t do well with uncertainty – they’d rather have bad news and feel sure of something. Am a little in awe that you always manage to find inspiring things to post!

• Reply tejae June 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

beautiful soft colors. I have not seen her work before. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply frauheuberg June 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm

So beautiful and soft colors…lovley…and i can imagine how wonderful it must be for you to pack out all your treasures, your personal stuff…so i hope you will have good news the next days and your dream about a new home will come true…have a great, creative and inspiring sunny weekend…all the best…cheers and hugs…i…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..From Weekend to Weekend…the summer is arrived =-.

• Reply Connie June 4, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I know what you mean, I’ve been living in a pile of junk and boxes because i can’t quite move back home yet nor can I not start packing my things. However, you definitely have it worse off… almost a year?! Hope things get ironed out for you soon and you find a place!
    .-= Connie´s last blog ..New card set in shop! =-.

• Reply Emma June 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Encaustic work is so beautiful. I love the thick, rich layers it creates. These works are lovely and I’m sure seeing them in person is even more impressive.
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..dirty word =-.

• Reply Penny Patten June 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

very pretty, love the colors and birds!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..A Garden Guardian =-.

• Reply Comic Mummy June 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Oooh, yes I so know what you mean! We just returned home to Australia after two years in Canada, so we’ve been itching for a while now just to get everything unpacked and make the place our own!

These pics are absolutely divine, thanks for sharing. And love the photos below too, wow.

Have only just found you, popping over from the interview you did on Kelly Rae’s e-course, such great advice, thank you for your time. :)

• Reply soraya nulliah June 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Dear Holly-I am in Kelly Rae’s class, Flying Lessons, and your interview today was super informative, inspiring and honest (especially for a new blogger like me!) I gleaned so much information from that interview, I just had to come over here and tell you! I love your clean, fresh style, your stunning photographs and most of all…your easy, personable writing style. Thanks so much Holly -for giving us so much of useful information in the interview today and for all the eye candy here on your blog:)
    P.S. I hope you move into a permanent place soon-I totally know what you mean!
    .-= soraya nulliah´s last blog ..Heart and Meaning =-.

• Reply Diane Ackers-Frasure June 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Yes I know exactly how you are feeling. I had to live with all my beautiful things boxed away for 8 mths..It was like my birthday when we finally moved and I unpacked them..thanks for your great advise on Kelly”s ecourse it was very honest and inspriring. I can’t wait to read more on your blog. Diane p.s. I love Hadley’s paintings.
    .-= Diane Ackers-Frasure´s last blog ..ACEO collector card illustration =-.

• Reply Rebecca June 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm

The prints in her shop are all so lovely.
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Rebecca’s Soap Delicatessen Gift Certificate Giveaway =-.

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski June 5, 2010 at 7:40 am

It is the first time I have seen Hudley Hutton`s work. I love her combination of birds, blossoms and my beloved polka dotts! Another wonderful bookmark for me to get inspirations..
    We changed flats a couple of times… and even though each box was always marked for each room, you still can`t describe all items hidden in that box. It was alway such a relief to find my bobins and felt flower again and that nobody beamed away my beloved stuffed “grüsli” rhino back to the jungle…

• Reply Frau Mayer June 6, 2010 at 4:19 am

The prints are, indeed, absolutely lovely. And you can start feeling happy as soon as you’ve signed the contract – we moved in on Friday and I still can’t believe my eyes. It takes me 10 seconds to get from the temporary bedroom to the bathroom :) Everything’s on the floor, the car is wild from seeing so much space for the first time in her life and I just want time and more time to be able to sort it all out. This is what nerves me right now – not being able to sit down on the floor and dedicate myself to the flat. Well, 3 more weeks then it’s all mine!
    I keep my fingers crossed for you – let’s see what the next week brings : )
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..News from the Fantastic Flat =-.

• Reply Deb June 6, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I love her. Ive got a Wren print in my daughter’s bedroom. So sweet!!!!
    .-= Deb´s last blog ..Happy Weekend! =-.

• Reply Lissa @ After Adornment June 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Love these images. So light and ethereal.
    Hang in there on the house……hopefully everything goes as planned and September 1st will be here before you know it :)
    .-= Lissa @ After Adornment´s last blog ..Pop of Yellow =-.

• Reply Afi June 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I’m a big fan of her beautiful work, so soft and delicate.

Oh I’ve lived “between homes” 4 times in last 3 years! But finally I’ve settled here! Hope you find a place you can settle very soon to un-pack and relax! :) xo
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..Illustration Friday – Slither =-.

• Reply Erika June 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm

These prints are just lovey- i adore the birds, so soft and dreamy. Oh, and hang in there with the limbo..
    .-= Erika´s last blog ..Thank Sugar It’s Friday! =-.

• Reply Lucy June 7, 2010 at 1:32 am

What a wonderful artist!

I can totally understand how you must feel, but how exciting that you are nearly there!!!: ))))

Lucy x
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..{Happy Friday} Peony Love =-.

• Reply Alison Gibbs June 7, 2010 at 4:56 am

Thanks for sharing ‘Hadleys’ beautiful work.
    Fingers crossed that a move will happen in September
    Alison
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..SEAGLASS =-.

• Reply bordüren June 7, 2010 at 6:00 am

looked everything in this house, garden, bedroom, furniture, everything is so beautiful

• Reply pinkbathtub June 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

I adore her work and own one of her prints. Off to check out her new stuff:)

• Reply hadley June 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Holly thanks so much for your post about my work. It was a surprise to pop over here and see it on your lovely pages. I am feeling for you girl. I have lived in limbo before, and I know how difficult it can be.

• Reply nichole June 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm

UGH. I’ve been there. We lived in what was supposed to be temporary conditions for well over three years (don’t meant to scare you!).

We had planned to buy a house, and kept waiting the market out. Well, that never happened, and we just ended up moving to another rental anyway after Paris.

But those years were frustrating, and I hope for the sake of your sanity you have a new place soon!
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Window into the Past =-.