Rooms

Room Seven

June 7, 2010

Hello and happy new week to you! I hope that you have been doing well, enjoying summer, and that you had a nice weekend! After returning from a week in Denmark (and a fun day in Sweden!), I returned home to attend a music festival and have been quite busy with my friends and family as I missed them all very much when I was away. The weather has been positively sublime, for you too? Summer is such a nice season!

Room Seven

Today I went to an outlet sale around the corner from my house — a bunch of stores locally well selling their overstock so there were many great products that were 50-70% off. One of my favorite shops, Von Klein Auf, had lots of beautiful things which made me wish I had a child because I found so many adorable dresses and things. Maybe next year I can buy them. :) I found an adorable patchwork bear from Room Seven (a Dutch brand I’d not heard of until today) and a pencil holder from Danish company GreenGate. I decided that, like I did when I was engaged, that I would start a small “hope chest” and fill it with cute things for my future child. I’m not pregnant yet, but I’m hoping to be next year and so I figured that I will start with this bear to build up a very small collection of sweet things. If I do not have kids, then I have a small chest for the kids of my friends to go through and play with while they are visiting. Either way, these sweet things will be used and enjoyed. Before you had a child or got married, did you start a hope chest? I know that it is old fashioned of me, but it is quite fun and inspiring.

Room Seven

Room Seven (they have a US and an EU website) is a brand for kids owned and operated by Brecht Olsthoorn that specializes in clothing, bedding, bags and some soft toys. Brecht is the daughter of the founders and owners of the Dutch brand OILILY and established Room Seven in 1994 initially designing only a bedding and accessories line but after her first child she branched out into children’s clothing as well.

Room Seven

Aren’t these things sweet? I love the green and blue walls – that acid-y green is such an inspiring color choice for a room, you have to be quite bold to use it but I like it very much!

(images: room seven)

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Brooke H June 7, 2010 at 8:05 am

Such adorable stuff! I love the pattern play and color schemes.
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Be Bold: Black & White Stripes =-.

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} June 7, 2010 at 8:06 am

The hope chest is such a great idea! Never heard of it before. And thank you for sharing this adorable shop, Room Seven, a treasure for kids! xoxo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Vintage tea party =-.

• Reply Flavia June 7, 2010 at 8:09 am

I love everything from Room Seven. There is a very cute little store near where I live in Sydney that stocks their products and every time my daughter and I walk by we HAVE to go in and have a look, or at least spend some time admiring the window.
    It’s good to hear that it is summer somewhere… :-)

• Reply Adele @ modernemotive June 7, 2010 at 8:10 am

So pretty. I especially like the “boy” room with the blue/white/red duvet. Oh and the white floors – I wish!
    .-= Adele @ modernemotive´s last blog ..D.I.Y. Bug =-.

• Reply Aisha June 7, 2010 at 8:15 am

ooh Holly! I have recently developed an obsession with a ‘hope chest’–but was wondering if i was being crazy –but i guess im not :)) yayy there are other ppl like me out there ;p

this new found obssession started–since a friend is havin a baby very soon and i have been going around baby shopping with her….and am absolutely smitten :)…that along with the reason that lots of baby/kiddie things are quite exp (but soo soo adorable that one has to have them)…thus it is quite a strain to be spending -buying everything right before having the baby—that i thought the ‘hope chest’ was an ingenious way of collecting fun stuff over time and also dividing costs over time– instead of depleting the bank account in a few months right before having a kid :D

ps- waiting with anticipation for details re your Marrakesh teaching plan!

• Reply Rachel B. June 7, 2010 at 8:35 am

So cute!! It’s so funny- when I was younger- before I got married and had (4) children, I thought hope chests were silly and unnecessary. See, I never wanted to get married , or have kids!! But now, looking back, I think a collection of things for your future life, or future kids, makes perfect sense! Why not get prepared in a loving, mindful way?
    .-= Rachel B.´s last blog ..Find your Happy Place =-.

• Reply Becca June 7, 2010 at 8:35 am

What a beautiful idea! I would love to, but I fear my fiancé would make me sleep in the garage for taking up too much space in the house!

• Reply Ijeoma June 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

Hope chests? Never heard of it before, but I like the idea of it. There’s being a couple of times when I have been close to purchasing a few overly adorable baby clothes, but couldn’t go through with it. I thought it was too weird, but now that I know the proper term for it, I’ll give it a serious consideration next time. Does it matter that am mid twenties, a student and still single? Do you have to be married first or in a long time relationship?
    Well, I like the concept anyway. Cheers for sharing, and am happy you had a good time in London!
    .-= Ijeoma´s last blog ..A Room with a View =-.

• Reply hena tayeb June 7, 2010 at 1:15 pm

these products and stores are gorgeous. i had never heard of a hope chest.. but the little bear looks like a perfect way to begin one.
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..The Perfect Weekend =-.

• Reply mina June 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

That chair with pillows is so adorable.
    .-= mina´s last blog ..Exciting News / Press Feature =-.

• Reply Penny Patten June 7, 2010 at 6:06 pm

very, very sweet! Love all the bedding!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..A Butterfly Scare Crow =-.

• Reply katetie June 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Awsome idea… We too were talking about trying for kids next year… but now hubby’s thinking the year after that – perhaps I’ll just start setting up a hope chest now and see if all the cutness inspires him!!!

• Reply Traveling Mama June 7, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Oh yes! I did that very thing and I never felt guilty about those purchases! My kids really appreciate handmade, quality toys. Sometimes I wonder how they can tell the difference… perhaps they sense the heart and soul that went into the making?
    .-= Traveling Mama´s last blog ..fare thee {well} =-.

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas June 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm

It is such a sweet idea – the hope chest. I like your whimsical teddy.

My husband did buy a little teddy bear recently, although more boy-ish one with blue and white strips, for a future baby bear, hehe. However, I guess he didn’t think of it in terms of filling up a hope chest ; ). But the concept is similar.
    .-= Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog ..Lovely Las Vegas: Paris Burger Brasserie =-.

• Reply Cosy Home Blog June 8, 2010 at 6:40 am

I’m already rather partial to the GreenGate products and it’s nice to see similar ideas. Love the vintage bear at the top.
    .-= Cosy Home Blog´s last blog ..Trendy bird cage candle holder =-.

• Reply Coco June 8, 2010 at 7:33 am

i bought the the first stuffed animal for my baby when i already was 16 weeks pregnant, i think. Only after 22 weeks of labor i bought all the rest that was needed for my baby (apparently would be) girl. :-)

but i love the idea of a hope chest. Why not if your sure about it…

• Reply Eliza June 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

these designs make me want to have children they are so beautiful! ha ha…not yet though.
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Triangular Light =-.

• Reply melinda June 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm

That bedding is so sweet for a little girl…well and for big girls like me, too!

• Reply dana June 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

hope chests evolved from the long-ago notion of dowries–that a woman bring material goods to a marriage. up until the early 1970s the lane company (a us manufacturer of cedar-lined wooden chests) gave young women graduating from high school a jewelry-box size version of their cedar chest, which was meant as a “gift” and an incentive to purchase a larger “hope chest” into which household items would be stored for use in a future marriage.
    hope chests went out of fashion in my part of the country (east coast) by the time i graduated high school in 1976. many of my generation put marriage on the back burner and thought the tradition was embarrassing! just as many things come in and out of style, i now think it is a fun and practical way to prepare for one’s future, be it marriage, a first home or a new baby.
    our daughter will attend university a year from now, and she and i have been purchasing useful, lovely and sometimes quirky domestic goods for her to use in her dorm room and first apartment. our latest buy was the set of lovely porcelain measuring spoons from anthropology. dear daughter is a thoroughly modern girl with big aspirations for her education and career, but is also all about learning to create a stylish and comfortable home. we’ve yet to find an actual “chest”, but we’re always on the lookout!

• Reply Barbara June 10, 2010 at 3:47 am

Dear Holly
    Please do not worry at all! Starting a hope chest is such a sweet and natural thing to do, also very practical as you won’t have the time/money/energy to find all these little treasure once baby has arrived.
    thankyou so much for sharing all these things with us, your loyal and lucky readers!

• Reply Agee October 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

My baby girl would love it, that’s for sure :)