Decorating Tips

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

June 8, 2010

I promise! Just because I said that I want to start planning a family next year does not mean that every post on decor8 is going to turn ga-ga-goo-goo on you! But I can’t resist sharing these photos from a baby shower that Kathleen Kennelly Ullman from Twig & Thistle recently planned for her sister Allison because it’s just too cute. I especially love how the nesting dolls were customized to look like the family — the daddy nesting doll with the beard had me cracking up the moment I saw it!

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Nesting Dolls Baby Shower Idea

Some design details that Kathleen has shared on her blog for you to walk away with…

1. She bought nesting dolls in the raw for $10 from Amazon and hand painted them to resemble her sister, husband and baby boy on the way and used them as a cake topper. 2. Each seat at the table had a crossword puzzle based on Allison and Ryan and words related to pregnancy and parenthood. The game helped guests to mingle and have fun. 3. To add a bit of whimsy to the table she found retro gray and white striped straws for the glassware. 4. For favors, she made fabric envelopes inspired by ones that Rebecca Thuss made shown here. Inside she put shortbread cookies and sealed them with a diaper pin. 5. She letterpressed the lovely invites herself!

Isn’t this the most adorable, yet simple, shower idea? I love it. Less is more!

(images: kathleen kennelly ullman)

27 Comments

• Reply Lisa Gouget-Wigman June 8, 2010 at 10:40 am

What a beautiful baby shower!! Love the tranquil color scheme and th classy look everything has, not the typical baby shower stuff!!! Gorgeous!!

• Reply lizzie June 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

CUTE shower! Love the nesting dolls theme!

• Reply Becca June 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

I would love to be half as creatively talented as Kathleen – and like I needed any encouragement with my broodiness? Thanks for sharing this.

How does one commission a letterpress, just out of interest?
    .-= Becca´s last blog ..Etsy Gorgeousness 14 May =-.

• Reply Robyn June 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

I Love the letterpress invitation! Baby showers aren’t such a big thing in the Uk, but they are starting to happen which is nice!

• Reply Christine June 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

WOW, definitely one of the cutest shower’s I’ve ever seen. I LOVE the nesting doll idea.

And don’t worry, everyone needs a little ‘gaga-googoo’ in their life – especially when it’s this beautiful!!
    : ) Christine
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..My favourite love… happy anniversary. =-.

• Reply Bicocacolors June 8, 2010 at 11:47 am

it’s just too cute!!!
    .-= Bicocacolors´s last blog ..retratos =-.

• Reply kerri June 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

love the fabric envelopes- gosh, that seems like a lot of work. what a great party favor! :)

• Reply crafty fanny June 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Everything about that shower is so sweet and perfect! I bet everyone enjoyed it so so much!
    .-= crafty fanny´s last blog ..bring Petunia home! =-.

• Reply kay June 8, 2010 at 1:50 pm

so many wonderful ideas! keeping this filed for the next time i have to host a baby shower.
    .-= kay´s last blog ..Curtain Issue Solved? =-.

• Reply Erin June 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I love this. I have recently developed a bit of a thing for nesting dolls! I just had a baby shower myself 2 weeks ago, but it was not a beautiful as this. I envy people who plan parties like this for their loved ones, or maybe I envy the loved ones for having parties like this planned for them!

• Reply the fabled needle (jen) June 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

i really love the colors and simplicity of it all.
    .-= the fabled needle (jen)´s last blog ..Where the Cardinals Sleep =-.

• Reply Purple Area June 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

So cute and adoring!!

• Reply Alison May June 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Oh how I wish baby showers were more common here in England- they offer such lovely opportunites for the quirkiest, prettiest, most joyful of decoration don’t they?
    .-= Alison May´s last blog ..Trash It or Treasure It! =-.

• Reply hyzen June 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Oh, love! What a perfectly pleasant scene, with such nice personal touches.

• Reply sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) June 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Ha ha ha, that beard totally cracks me!!! What a great idea!

You just made my whole afternoon. :)
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..washi tape discovery! =-.

• Reply Sally Traidman June 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Stunning! A work of art!

• Reply Terri June 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Wow… what a wonderful baby shower! It’s simple, classy and fabulous.
    .-= Terri´s last blog ..Abandoned Tea Party… =-.

• Reply Penny Patten June 8, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Love the banners, and the nesting dolls are so sweet on top of the cake. What a great idea.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Lou Lou The Guitar Playing Scare Crow =-.

• Reply Dan Shand June 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm

What a great idea!

• Reply Erika June 8, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Oh I LOVE this! You could just add more baby nesting dolls as the family grows. So sweet.
    .-= Erika´s last blog ..Mad for this Hatter’s Party =-.

• Reply Vicky June 9, 2010 at 1:21 am

I love showers, and this one is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the lovely blue inspiration.
    .-= Vicky´s last blog ..Inspired weekend- picnic on the beach =-.

• Reply debra June 9, 2010 at 2:14 am

amazing! so much that went into it! wow!

• Reply Ann June 9, 2010 at 7:38 am

Very cute! The nesting dolls idea is really very original!

• Reply maria binasco June 13, 2010 at 8:38 am

This is really a great original idea! Awesome photos and attention to detail too.

• Reply mrs shortcake June 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Wow! Such a beautiful shower! I really like the cool, peaceful blue tones she used!

• Reply Jett April 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Wow that is absolutely beautiful and stunning and gorgeous, I don’t know even what to say to that :) other than that. Also is the parents some kind of bean doll or something. Anyway the shower looks pretty darn interesting, take care :)_

• Reply Scrapless Press May 27, 2013 at 3:46 am

Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing. Love the nesting dolls idea!