Affordable Flower Vases

June 10, 2010

I know this isn’t a ground breaking decorating idea but I found an image today in Karaku’s etsy shop and love the idea of stamping waxy paper bags and adding flowers inside. It’s pretty and simply, isn’t it? It would be nice to line these up on a table for outdoor dining or to use them for showers as inexpensive “vases”. Inside you can use a clear glass (even just a basic water glass, shorter than the bag of course — but the weight of it will hold the bag in place and glass will hold the water for the flowers. It’s the simplicity that I think is so charming and really makes a statement.

Affordable Flower Vases

You can buy the waxy square paper bags here and some rubber stamps from Japan here. Would you try this idea?

(images: kakaku)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ludmila {} June 10, 2010 at 4:15 am

hmm, nice idea and very easy! of course the look of a flower in a paper bag would be weird, but hey, we should be unique and so should be our ideas! I guess I would give a try! xoxox
    .-= Ludmila {}´s last blog ..Being a tourist: part 1 =-.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids June 10, 2010 at 4:56 am

What really nice idea :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..We love Cupcakes! =-.

• Reply Mnemonique June 10, 2010 at 5:08 am

I love this idea!

• Reply ana June 10, 2010 at 5:34 am

the final result looks great, but i’m not sure how to water the flowers!!!
    .-= ana´s last blog ..Purple faceted drops earrings – €7.50 =-.

• Reply Estelle June 10, 2010 at 6:03 am

The contrast between the brown paper and flowers makes this idea totally work! If I used this idea, I would probably use some kind of pinking shears to cut the top off and give it a scalloped finish or something like that. I may have to try this for my daughter’s birthday coming up!

• Reply Jennifer Squires Ross June 10, 2010 at 6:54 am

i think a paper bag of flowers has a casual cottage charm, i’d definitely try it! would be nice with a taller paper bag that was cinched up a bit towards the top with a piece of twine. could be nice at an outdoor wedding lining the aisle.
    .-= Jennifer Squires Ross´s last blog in the village =-.

• Reply Nicole June 10, 2010 at 7:14 am

The simplest ideas always seem to be the most beautiful. I will definitely be doing this for outside.

• Reply Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy June 10, 2010 at 7:46 am

I would definitely try this idea! So cute!
    .-= Shannon @ What’s Up Whimsy´s last blog ..I Couldn’t Resist… =-.

• Reply Fernanda June 10, 2010 at 8:39 am

I LOVE the idea! will definitely try it! :)

• Reply DawnS June 10, 2010 at 10:08 am

I did something like this for our Mother’s Day lunch this year (I saw the idea in a magazine), but I just used white paper bags. Love the idea of the stamps :)
    .-= DawnS´s last blog ..The ABC’s of Life…D is for Discover =-.

• Reply kate cotten June 10, 2010 at 11:20 am

i have to admit, i am so thankful you shared this! i feel so inspired! i think i am going to have to order some supplies and use these for our wedding! our wedding is all about vintage, personality, and personalization. these are wonderful! thanks for sharing!

• Reply mer June 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

so simple and darling
    .-= mer´s last blog ..[two parties…] =-.

• Reply Kitty @lavender playground June 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This is such a beautiful idea..I’m moving right now so I’m trying to decide whether or not to keep the glass jars, maybe I’ll save them and use this idea in my new apt!

• Reply erica June 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

i love this idea and this question my be totally random, but does anyone know the blue font that is used to describe the picture? any help would be great!

• Reply decor8 June 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Erica – It’s called NEVER LET GO.

• Reply moose and bird June 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I would definitely try this idea! I love the simplicity of brown paper bags! Have a lovely week. Melinda x

• Reply escapade June 10, 2010 at 7:31 pm

So clever – these would be lovely for a wedding or a summer garden party!

• Reply Marissa June 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I also immediately thought of this as a great shower idea! I made some notes for the wedding I’m in next summer!

• Reply Andrea June 11, 2010 at 12:27 am

I love, love, LOVE these!! Thank you for sharing this.

• Reply Rosalind June 21, 2010 at 6:03 am

hmmm that was an expensive read today! I couldn’t help but purchase the above! nice – thanks :-)

• Reply Sarah Pent April 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

What a charming idea. This would be perfect for decorating a summer party.