Affordable Flower Vases

I know this isn’t a ground breaking decorating idea but I found an image today in Karaku’s etsy shop and love the idea of stamping waxy paper bags and adding flowers inside. It’s pretty and simply, isn’t it? It would be nice to line these up on a table for outdoor dining or to use them for showers as inexpensive “vases”. Inside you can use a clear glass (even just a basic water glass, shorter than the bag of course — but the weight of it will hold the bag in place and glass will hold the water for the flowers. It’s the simplicity that I think is so charming and really makes a statement.

Flower Display Idea

You can buy the waxy square paper bags here and some rubber stamps from Japan here. Would you try this idea?

(images: kakaku)

Posted by decor8 in diy on June 10, 2010

1. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:15am

hmm, nice idea and very easy! of course the look of a flower in a paper bag would be weird, but hey, we should be unique and so should be our ideas! I guess I would give a try! xoxox
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Being a tourist: part 1 =-.

2. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:56am

What really nice idea :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..We love Cupcakes! =-.

3. Mnemonique commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:08am

I love this idea!

4. ana commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:34am

the final result looks great, but i’m not sure how to water the flowers!!!
    .-= ana´s last blog ..Purple faceted drops earrings – €7.50 =-.

5. Estelle commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 6:03am

The contrast between the brown paper and flowers makes this idea totally work! If I used this idea, I would probably use some kind of pinking shears to cut the top off and give it a scalloped finish or something like that. I may have to try this for my daughter’s birthday coming up!

6. Jennifer Squires Ross commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 6:54am

i think a paper bag of flowers has a casual cottage charm, i’d definitely try it! would be nice with a taller paper bag that was cinched up a bit towards the top with a piece of twine. could be nice at an outdoor wedding lining the aisle.
    .-= Jennifer Squires Ross´s last blog ..art in the village =-.

7. Nicole commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:14am

The simplest ideas always seem to be the most beautiful. I will definitely be doing this for outside.

8. Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:46am

I would definitely try this idea! So cute!
    .-= Shannon @ What’s Up Whimsy´s last blog ..I Couldn’t Resist… =-.

9. Fernanda commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 8:39am

I LOVE the idea! will definitely try it! :)

10. DawnS commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 10:08am

I did something like this for our Mother’s Day lunch this year (I saw the idea in a magazine), but I just used white paper bags. Love the idea of the stamps :)
    .-= DawnS´s last blog ..The ABC’s of Life…D is for Discover =-.

11. kate cotten commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:20am

i have to admit, i am so thankful you shared this! i feel so inspired! i think i am going to have to order some supplies and use these for our wedding! our wedding is all about vintage, personality, and personalization. these are wonderful! thanks for sharing!

12. mer commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 12:35pm

so simple and darling
    .-= mer´s last blog ..[two parties…] =-.

13. Kitty @lavender playground commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 1:38pm

This is such a beautiful idea..I’m moving right now so I’m trying to decide whether or not to keep the glass jars, maybe I’ll save them and use this idea in my new apt!

14. erica commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 3:49pm

i love this idea and this question my be totally random, but does anyone know the blue font that is used to describe the picture? any help would be great!

thanks!

15. decor8 commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Erica – It’s called NEVER LET GO.

16. moose and bird commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:36pm

I would definitely try this idea! I love the simplicity of brown paper bags! Have a lovely week. Melinda x
    moose and bird´s last blog post ..Lovely Clusters!

17. escapade commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:31pm

So clever – these would be lovely for a wedding or a summer garden party!
    escapade´s last blog post ..Book review + give-away: Restore. Recycle. Repurpose

18. Marissa commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 8:13pm

I also immediately thought of this as a great shower idea! I made some notes for the wedding I’m in next summer!

19. Andrea commented
    June 11th, 2010 at 12:27am

I love, love, LOVE these!! Thank you for sharing this.

20. Rosalind commented
    June 21st, 2010 at 6:03am

hmmm that was an expensive read today! I couldn’t help but purchase the above! nice – thanks :-)

21. Sarah Pent commented
    April 5th, 2011 at 11:14am

What a charming idea. This would be perfect for decorating a summer party.