Decorating Tips

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

June 14, 2010

I felt inspired by a few rooms found in Homes & Gardens today and thought I’d share 6 of my favorites with some notes as to where you can locate some of the things that you see. I think it really is all in the details when it comes to decorating and making a house a home and not a boring box showroom. One thing I am learning all over again through new eyes while working in homes of those whom I admire is how much attention to detail they really paid when decorating their rooms. No stone is left unturned. In some homes I’ve styled, I’ve unearthed some treasures in boxes and even closets that made me drool — so many little things that homeowner’s have, each with a story, is really what makes a home a meaningful, supportive space. Maybe some of these images below will give you some inspiration, decorating ideas, or just a deeper appreciation for what I’m talking about. And maybe, while looking at them, you can think of some of the little things you have around you at home and remember why they are there and what memories they bring.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Window film on glass (better than soap film!) with lettering from Brume.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Curtain in Circolo 2220-01 by Ulf Moritz at Sahco Hesslein, chair cushion in Nabucco Rosefrom Designers Guild.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Fabric on the wall by GP & J Baker.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Birdhouses by Tamar Mogendorff.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Magnetic lining under wallpaper by Magscapes. Wall flower magnets from Umbra.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Oratoria wallpaper from Osborne & Little resembles distressed plasterwork on stone.

Homes & Gardens: Details, My Dear!

Beata natural linen shade from Pinch. Itia wooden screen Lombok. Bowls from Daniel Smith at Eskandar.

Spot a photo that makes you think, “Hmmmm…. I can try that!” Or? Your thoughts?

(images: homes & gardens UK)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Christine June 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

It is all about the little things…

I love that white curtain, it almost looks like little tissue paper birds. So light and beautiful.

• Reply Penny Patten June 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I love the UK editions, I get Country Living in the mail. Love the first, (wash room). The magnetic lining under the wallpaper, brilliant!

• Reply Renee June 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm

These are wonderful details! I particularly love the “Wash Room” and the magnetic wall with the white flowers – beautiful!

Thanks for a great post Holly!

• Reply Lizzie June 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Wow, really inspiring images, I LOVE the idea of magnetic lining paper, brilliant!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente June 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I live for the details…I do. I love these & 2nd to last photo has stolen my heart. But, also, the magnetic liner under the wall paper is such an awesome idea too….love it! Thanks for the inspiration hun!

• Reply Lori June 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Our last house was older and the shower door was horrible. I actually added the film to the shower doors to cover the calcium deposits and it worked beautifully! Such an easy, inexpensive solution. Etching would be a little more difficult, but even better.

Great pictures.

• Reply Polly June 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Love the bird houses and I wish I had magnetic wallpaper!

I have a giveaway on my blog at the moment if you want to check it out :) x

• Reply Arlene Grasman June 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

The say the devil is in the details, but I think Life is in the details.
    Great compilation!

• Reply Beth June 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I love the window film (I could really use that) and the wallpaper that looks like distressed plaster.

• Reply Tina June 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Great picks – I especially loved the bird houses, lovely! :-)

• Reply Beau June 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wow, i love the magnetic lining thing. Great idea!

• Reply Cindy June 14, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Magnetic lining under wallpaper…genius! The flower magnets are cute!

• Reply hannah June 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hi Holly, I love the distressed plaster effect wallpaper in the 6th photo but wonder how good it would look close up… what do you think?
    I’ll try to get my hands on a sample to see. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Emily June 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I love the first photo. I’ve been on the hunt for window film lately, knowing that it will be a wonderful “final touch” to my living room. The cafe curtain (sort of) that is up there now adds some privacy but blocks too much light. Adding window film to the bottom 1/2 will make a big difference, I think.

I love all of those little details, too. I always think they take time – but then there are some people who seem to next pretty quickly! That attention to detail, one thing after another to delight the eye without feeling overwhelmed, is something I really aspire to.

• Reply Erika June 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Lusting for that white curtain. So lovely..

• Reply Sonja Barrett June 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Magnetic lining under wallpaper, Brilliant!! I can see this becoming a trend in home offices and in the kitchen!

• Reply Deborah Wall June 15, 2010 at 12:30 am

Any time you feature something with typography – I’m going to swoon… but I also swooned over the bird houses…(insert deep satisfied sigh)

• Reply Coco June 15, 2010 at 1:52 am

I love THE second last photo! Thanks for THE inspiration.

• Reply Bicocacolors June 15, 2010 at 3:41 am

what a beautiful post,
    thanks from spain

• Reply laura trevey June 15, 2010 at 4:49 am

I love the bright fabric on the wall… so chic!

• Reply katie June 15, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love the birdhouses. I’m picturing them on a wall next to a window that looks out on either a balcony or a garden, bringing a bit of the outdoors inside. How lovely.

• Reply Tina June 15, 2010 at 9:58 am

I love this magazine and you are right it’s the little personal finds that make the home. The cute little pictures, the vintage jewelry boxes, figurine collections, these things tell the real story.

• Reply Nuit June 15, 2010 at 10:50 am

the Oratoria Wallpaper is a dream!!! what a beautiful post Holly, great picks. xoxo

• Reply Erica Cottrill June 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

Nice mix of subtle touches.

• Reply emily @ thirtyeight20 June 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

I love the mix of textiles in that last photo with the neat linen shade. It is decided: I need more texture in my house!

• Reply Julie June 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

The glass table top w/wooden legs in the last photo caught my idea. I don’t know that a glass table has ever appealed to me before. I find myself wondering about the jacket hanging on the wall in the second photo. Looks like a great washed, uber-soft linen.

• Reply Melody June 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I am loving all of these ideas! As a recent college graduate (and recent hire at an interior design firm) I am always on the look out of great, functional yet stylish ideas!

• Reply Melody June 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I am loving all of these precious ideas! As a recent college graduate, and a recent hire of an interior design firm, I am always on the look out for cute, functional, and stylish looks! Love that I found y’all!

• Reply hena tayeb June 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm

so much to love here.. the fabric on the wall.. the flower magnets and of course the bird houses.. gorgeous living..

• Reply Bobbi June 15, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I like to tuck surprising little objects here and there in bookshelves and whatnot. I use things from my own childhood, or from when my children were tots, or just curious things I come across. I used to keep a rubber lobster in the dishwasher just for fun:)

• Reply DailyDivaDish June 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Magnetic lining is genius! Thanks so much for sharing.
    XO Piper

• Reply Staci Edwards June 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm

The birdhouses are darling! I could see them in a kid’s space! Very fun!

• Reply Stacie June 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm

You had me at Magnetic Wallpaper…that is just so…so…wonderful!!

• Reply Mikaela June 16, 2010 at 12:28 am

I love love love the magnetic wall flowers! I think I might paint a wall with magnetic paint then a nice beige chalk, and get some of these lovely magnets. Need to find a wall though!

• Reply sharon June 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Love that zingy blue/yellow fabric wallpaper! That would wake you up in the morning :)

• Reply elize June 17, 2010 at 2:15 am

the bird houses and the wall flowers are so adorable and the the fabric pendant light is mind blowing.

• Reply debra June 18, 2010 at 1:53 am

simply stunning!

• Reply Erin @ Letter Soup June 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I adore the birdhouses! And that magnetic wall is genius!

I really enjoyed reading this post because it’s a subject I’ve been thinking about a lot since I started blogging. I blog about creating print-rich homes, and I’ve been so impressed with the clever details people include in their decor to create a home that supports their children’s literacy development in lovely ways.