Oi Soi Oi

I’m so sorry that I was absent from class yesterday. I wish I had some amazing excuse to impress you (ha ha) but alas, I have none. I am fighting a nasty cold so I’ve been doing little more than trying to get better since I leave for London this weekend for another week of shoots ‘n styling for next week. Well, not a full week – but I do have many homes to work in on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then a meeting on Thursday along with a few visits to some favorite stores so I have something fun to share with you from my next adventure! With a jam-packed week coming up, I have to be healthy and ready so that I can be as creative as possible because it’s hard to do your best work when you are run down. And so this is my reason for being absent yesterday. But today, I’m here as I will be tomorrow and Friday as well. Next week, Leslie will fill in for me with posts while I’m away, including her June Color Me Pretty column, so stay tuned for that!

Oi Soi Oi

So for a moment can we just escape together? I would like to journey to the land of painted furniture and daring homeowners who simply GO FOR IT. Furniture painted in colors like turquoise. Seriously, how stunning is the table shown above from Danish company Oi Soi Oi (Vietnamese for goodness gracious me) in that gorgeous hue? For those who have shopped Pier1 imports or import stores in general where there seems to be a lot of very dark wood, you really have to rethink what you are looking at and imagine color instead. Just look for something with great bones and try to imagine it in your favorite color as you stand in the store. Look for pieces that have nice curves or decorative edges or perhaps some unique carving or hardware. Furniture that looks the best wearing your favorite color usually involves pieces that have something interesting about them concerning shape, proportion or details.

OI SOI OI

Oi Soi Oi

OI SOI OI

Oi Soi Oi

OI SOI OI

There is no crime in painting a dark wood cabinet in your favorite color – the furniture police won’t cuff you for it (I mean the mattress police never show up when we cut off the tags, do they?) because painting wood on furniture, at least pieces that are not antique, in my eyes is a-okay. I’ve seen people paint antiques too, but that really isn’t for me to say because it depends on the condition and value of it doesn’t it? But for new furniture that you are finding at import stores or even on sites like Overstock.com, why can’t you slap on some gray, red, turquoise or pink paint on an Asian-inspired cabinet or nightstand to brighten your space? Take inspiration from the fabulous Oi Soi Oi and see what you can come up with if ethnic boho modern is your thing. It’s totally my thing.

For more Oi Soi Oi goodness, visit them online…

(images oi soi oi)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on June 16, 2010

1. Caro-lines-images commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 4:40am

I wish you some nice days in London. And I also look forward to your book, a lot!
    Caro-lines-images´s last blog post ..Vinst

2. laura trevey commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 5:25am

Gorgeous photos… I love the beautiful peony!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Beautiful Impatiens in Window Boxes

3. etincellestudio commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 6:25am

It is absolutely my thing too! love this idea Holly!
    etincellestudio´s last blog post ..Working on at the moment…

4. Jutta commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 6:48am

Haha, if you ask my husband it IS a crime! I don’t know what it is with men and painting wooden furniture, but he won’t let me. Even new pieces, I wouldn’t paint antique furniture if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. He’d rather give them away than paint them, which is actually what we’ve ended up doing with some.
    Jutta´s last blog post ..Monday Morning Coffee and Sketch

5. Jutta commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 6:49am

Oh, and I forgot to say, take care and I hope you get better soon!

6. Rachel commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 7:27am

wow, thank you for introducing us to the Oi Soi Oi, it is a feast to my eyes. stay warm and dry:)
    Rachel´s last blog post ..Organizers: Functional, Decorative, Up-Cycled, Eco-Friendly

7. Heather commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 7:34am

You come up with the prettiest ideas! I really do wonder about the whole mattress tags and mattress police thing.
    Heather´s last blog post ..We have a winner!

8. Beck's Chic Life commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 7:40am

This post is so timely for me. This past weekend I painted some ugly black tables, metalic silver and I LOVE the way it turned out! Here are some pics! http://beckschiclife.blogspot.com/2010/06/table-makeover.html

I had so much fun, and am so happy with the way it turned out I am planning to paint another piece of furniture this weekend! I was going to paint it white, but now this has me thinking I should do something bright…
    Beck’s Chic Life´s last blog post ..Lights! Camera! Action!

9. Penny commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 7:55am

Oh the painting dark wood thing! I have an oak dresser, not antique but inherited from my grandfather. Stained dark, nearly black. No one else in the family wanted it but you should have heard the fuss when I decided to paint it white! (I did anyway so I’m glad you agree!)
    Penny´s last blog post ..Back…

10. Mads Mom commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 10:23am

Oh those pics take me to a happy place….one where my husband doesn’t squash my creativity.
    GORGEOUS!

11. gina commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 11:43am

oh gooody, my thing too. Although it did take me years to paint furniture that was passed to me thru some relatives, for some reason I thought it was rude to paint it? Crazy, I love it now and really use and enjoy the pieces, and of course they feel more like me :)
    gina´s last blog post ..looking for sweets.

12. Elkie commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 4:26pm

I am a sucker for anything turquoise or teal. It just brightens things up and makes them feel so airy and cheery. Off to Oi Soi Oi I go. Feel better and have an inspirational trip to London!
    Elkie´s last blog post ..Anahata Katkin

13. lesley commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 5:10pm

gorgeousness! i am definitely a color lover, so this is right up my alley :)

xoxo,
    lesley

14. Bridgette aka Picked Fresh Daily commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 6:29pm

my hubby has finally given up on me and let’s me do whatever i want! I just picked up an antique school desk for $10 at a yard sale and it’s going to be yellow or maybe turquoise (much to his dismay!) Any-who, he always seems to love it once it’s done so that’s all that matters!
    Bridgette aka Picked Fresh Daily´s last blog post ..Fresh Finds : Pinwheel Perfection

15. Jen commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 6:56pm

Those first pictures of the turquoise made me drool, but they’re all lovely. I think you are right about going for it and painting furniture…even an antique, if it isn’t, say, a desk Thomas Jefferson sat at, is worth being painted if it means the piece of furniture will be more likely to displayed with pride and love! The hardest part is probably picking the right colour when there are so many fabulous ones…

16. jenn commented
    June 17th, 2010 at 10:19am

before reading your post today, I had “buy turquoise paint” on my to-do list. I’m planning to cover an old table I’m chopping down to kid-height!!! that color on those tables is EXACTLY what I had in mind!

17. Kelley commented
    June 19th, 2010 at 4:32pm

I am SOOOO inspired to paint something turquoise!! I found a chest at a local thrift store and now I am having the hardest time finding the perfect turquoise color. Does anyone have a suggestion from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams? THANKS!!