I was reading Sandra Juto’s blog last week admiring photos of her recent vacay to Berlin (these are some of my favorites) and came across an apartment that she featured belonging to her friends in Gothenburg and noticed that it is being offered by a company called Alvhem, who is responsible for lots of properties in Gothenburg.
I first blogged about Alvhem quite some time ago because I was impressed by how they style and photograph their properties so perfectly — they make one from the outside think that every home in Gothenburg looks like it is from a magazine! It even appears as though they use lots of the same furniture and repeat ideas in many of the homes and so it’s an inspiration to comb through their properties to see what they’ve done to enhance the space.
I wish they’d set up offices in other parts of Europe as they have immense talent and get their hands on some of the best property. I frequently find myself on their website looking through their for sale and sold files for interior inspiration and well, to daydream a bit too! You can view all of their properties for sale on their website here, but it’s in Swedish so good luck with translating it (sorry).
So what can we learn from an Alvhem-inspired home? Here are some repeat ideas that I’ve noticed.
1. A big black flat screen television is your friend. We are always trying to conceal them yet Alvhem allows them to be out and proud.
2. Keep walls and molding bright white.
3. Floors are wood, and the same tone in all rooms with the exception of wet areas.
4. Some walls with accent walls in pretty pattern.
5. Sofas should be a solid color, fabric with the exception of black leather. Colors commonly used for sofas: white, black, beige and gray.
6. If you don’t own a ladder to lean against the wall to drape things from, get one.
7. Fresh flowers in simple vases look best on your bedside table, dining table, entry way table, kitchen counter, bathroom, floor, fireplace mantle and coffee table. Okay everywhere.
8. Windows should be large and amazing.
9. Flat should be extremely sunny.
10. Put a shelf over your bed.
11. Rugs are mostly solid neutrals with an occasional stripe or ethnic design thrown in.
12. Rooms should all “flow” in design, from one to the next.
13. Most art on the walls look best in black frames.
14. Add plants to windowsills (topiary, ivy, etc.).
15. Try to live without curtains and blinds. Who cares about privacy? :)
16. Every sofa and bed should have one throw casually draped in an accent color.
17. Kitchen cabinetry should be white. Bonus for shiny white.
18. Mix IKEA with flea market finds and some industrial pieces.
Do you spot a few repeating themes as well? I love the work of Alvhem and find so much inspiration from this company!