Timothy Karpinski Art

Okay, show of hands… How many of you used sheets to make indoor tents as a child? I did and I would use anything to secure them from shutting corners in dresser drawers to using my father’s shoes to hold them in place. But my tents never, ever looked this amazing…

Timothy Karpinski

That’s why when I saw these photos (above) from artist Timothy J. Karpinski in Portland, Oregon, I smiled big. He built this crochet technicolor dream tent for a milepost 5 show. I loved making tent houses and have fond memories of spending time beneath them, especially at night, with a flashlight reading Sweet Valley High books or those Choose Your Own Adventure titles – and to think that my adventure of reading started all because I wanted the kittens poster from those school book flyers that came out a few times a year. Do you remember those? If you ordered a certain number of books you could choose your free gift, which was almost always an animal poster? ha! What a flashback!

Timothy isn’t known only for his groovy lounge areas though, he is known for his art which is quite sweet and his recent work can even be described as childlike innocence in a pastel wonderland of characters and sweet emotion. You can purchase some of Timothy’s works here.

Timothy Karpinski

Timothy Karpinski

“From a young age I’ve always been making things. Building forts turned into building skate ramps which lead to building art installations. I love the art making process, from the initial spark of the ‘idea’, the creation to the finished product. Art for me is very personal and everything i make is a direct reflection on my feelings about this world and my struggle and fascination with trying to understand it and find my purpose within it.”

Psst: If you are in the Seattle area visit This Feels Right, a showing by GNU’s Art Director Timothy Karpinski – now until the end of June. “Timothy Karpinski features his signature themes of love, friendship and kindness rendered in compositions of cut paper, pastel colors and detailed graphite drawing. In his world the viewers sense of wonder and innocence are set free as friends share a pot of tea on a rainy day, hot air balloons elevate lovers to new heights and float upon clouds on a moonlit night.”

(images: timothy karpinski)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on June 24, 2010

1. Raru commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 5:48am

Such a great idea. :) I love all Timothy’s illustration – so pretty and charming.
    Thank you, Holly.

xoxo,
    raru
    Raru´s last blog post ..A house in Cantabria ♥ Къща в Кантабрия

2. Samantha commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 5:49am

ooHh i wish i still had small children so i could indulge myself! :)
    Samantha´s last blog post ..Everything stops for tea!

3. Margarida commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 6:13am

I saw your tweet about this and I had to come over immediatlay!!!

What good memories indoor tents bring to my mind :-) I used to make them at my grandmothers’s with blankets and sofa cushions…

Lovely to see these ones :-)))
    Margarida´s last blog post ..*Pensamento do dia* *Thought of the day*

4. Laura commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 9:00am

Love that tent! I had forgotten how fun those were to make… I used to make them in the summer outside with a bed sheet and those awful plastic lounge chairs everyone had!

Thanks for sharing!
    Laura

5. Claire commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 9:36am

I’ve always wanted to live in a tent – and this one is perfect! I also love the drawings, so cool.

6. Katy commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 10:06am

I want that as my new bedroom!
    Katy´s last blog post ..Tree Bookshelf

7. Emily commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 11:37am

Yep, I totally wanted the Scholastic kitten posters and was so jealous of the kids who got entire BAGS of books from the book sale. If I was lucky, I got to pick out one. But it’s funny, because one of the books I bought, an illustrated copy of Langston Hughes’ The Dream Keeper, I recently pulled out and was shocked by how lovely it all is.

The Babysitters Club books are probably still at my parents’ house…
    Emily´s last blog post ..Update: cleaning things up

8. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 2:42pm

The tent is amazing!!! I slowly died! looks cozy and the colors are so boho, makes me want to have one tent exactly the same!
    Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog post ..Fast and easy makeovers

9. lesley commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 4:01pm

wow, love all his work… so lovely and nostalgic!

xoxo,
    lesley

10. se7en commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 4:20pm

You just raised the bar to new heights… When it comes to indoor forts I thought my kids were pretty good but this tent is totally awesome!!!
    se7en´s last blog post ..Sunday Snippet: What Makes a Dad A Dad… And A GiveAway of Course!!!

11. Amelia Critchlow commented
    June 25th, 2010 at 1:48am

this is totally and utterly inspiring! Apart from making and loving dens as a child and loving installation art now as an adult, I really enjoyed reading Tim’s quote on why he creates his art – it totally resonates with me, and what a great reason for making.

Thanks for sharing.

Amelia.x

12. lady a. commented
    June 25th, 2010 at 5:32am

I always dreamed of something like that when I was a child. Maybe it’s not too late?

13. Johanna commented
    June 28th, 2010 at 10:30am

I love the afghan tent! It looks so fun and cozy.
    Johanna´s last blog post ..Lately

14. Kim commented
    July 6th, 2010 at 11:36pm

Wow, Holly, Sweet Valley High and Choose Your Own Adventures….we’re exactly the same age. I LOVED those and haven’t thought about them in years. I think I’m going to buy a SWH book right now just for kicks….

15. sunny commented
    November 27th, 2010 at 1:29pm

I giggled after reading this. When I was 6 and my brother 11 we decided to build a fort a in the dinnir room of my grandmothers house. We broke her crystal bird – got into a LOT of trouble for that.
    Never got anything from scholastics – was to exspensive for when we were growing up. But totaly spoiled my son with it haha.

16. lola commented
    September 21st, 2011 at 8:04pm

I love all your work, amazing…I found you by Juxtapoz magazine…, great illustrations honestly…I wish I could draw..my favourite work:
    “the anatomy of me” It tells so much about who you are..I like it :-)