Japanese Film Love: Rinco’s Restaurant

I watch a ton of Japanese films, and own a slew of them. While I’m not about to start a column reviewing movies anytime soon, since this one may not be hitting theaters near you, I have to at least point it out! It’s also part of my own personal goal to encourage people to watch movies that inspire creativity and so often Hollywood blockbusters just don’t do it for me any longer — don’t even get me started on the latest Twilight film. My gosh, what happened? But anyway, this film, Rinco’s Restaurant, is a Japanese film and has lots of gorgeous scenes in it and if you love to cook and enjoy lots of eye candy, you must check it out. The story is also very inspirational about a girl who, despite a rather loony mother (to put it politely) who seems to love her pet pig more than her only daughter Rinco, launches her own business after working in a dead end job for years and finds success in it — cooking out of her cute little shed in the back yard (which she decorated so sweetly).

Rinco's Restaurant

There is a lot of depth in this film and loads of creative vision and fun things to look at — each scene could be a picture, it’s all quite visually stunning. I watched it on the long haul flight from Los Angeles on Monday and found myself totally lost in the sheer prettiness of it all…

You can watch a preview in Japanese on the official movie website if you’d like… It reminded me a bit of Amelie in a rather abstract way. If you watch it, you will see what I mean. It made me feel so creative and energized which is why I simply had to share it with you today!

Did you see this film? What did you think of the story? How about the set design? Wardrobe? I loved some of her crazy mother’s outfits and that fabulously plump porker who was always laid out so well on the sofa (sheesh!). The best part was the facial mask scene where both mother and her pet pig had masks on – too funny. While I felt a bit lost in parts (I nearly always do in Japanese films and realize that it’s usually a culture thing) it was still a darling film and I hope to own it eventually.

(images: rinco’s restaurant)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on July 21, 2010

1. Valeria commented
    July 21st, 2010 at 3:45pm

This looks great! We’re always looking for new movies to watch and this one is right up our alley! Thanks for sharing! I’m pretty new to the Japanese movie scene.

Hope you post more. I also find them inspirational, from wardrobe to decor!

2. Jacilyn commented
    July 21st, 2010 at 4:09pm

Oh this sounds wonderful! I have seen some incredibly wonderful Japanese movies and cannot wait to see this one.

3. Sandra Kuwartowski commented
    July 21st, 2010 at 5:44pm

I have to be on the lookout for that movie (I saw the trailers on their website, beautiful clothes-collars, aprons, blouses, delicous looking food). Some movies are just to enjoy the decoration. I think “Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky is another example: a critic said about the movie that there is “no fire” but the interior decoration is so wonderful, all these black and white patterns, beautiful…

4. Cookie Cutter commented
    July 21st, 2010 at 9:51pm

I love Japanese movies (Ghibli animations included) for how different they are from the usual popcorn flick swe get in the cinemas these days. I especially love Japanese films that depict simple everyday life in breathtakingly beautiful ways and deal with themes which are so real. So keen to check out your recommendation!
    Cookie Cutter´s last blog post ..Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

5. Stephanie commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 12:04am

This looks right up my alley…i’m going to see if I can add it to my Netflix queue right now….

6. Alessandra commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 1:07am

Good morning Holly!
    I can’t believe about this coincidence: the day before yesterday I started to read the book and I simply looooove it! Thank you Holly and congrats for your blog: I really really like it :)

Alessandra from Italy

7. kay commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 2:22am

i love all things Japanese and as Cookie Cutter said – go studio Ghibli! will definitely look into this film now. loved Amelie so feel very excited about this movie! thanks heaps.

8. Tracy commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 4:35am

I live in the Czech Reublic, so not sure about how to go about seeing it, but I would love to, it looks beautiful. I know exactly what you mean about the typical Hollywood film format, it doesn’t often do much for me. The film version of The Time Traveller’s Wife was good, but haven’t seen much else recently that I rated.
    There are some great Czech films though – much more quirky and interesting. x
    Tracy´s last blog post ..To the Riverside

9. ishtar commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 5:00am

hahaha, Holly I read your post about this film last night and I dreamt with it! how funny!

10. Mnemonique commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 5:12am

These shots are beautiful. I love Japanese films for ther aesthetic pictures. Beauty is in every shot.
    Mnemonique´s last blog post ..Tylkowski

11. Ophelia.K commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 6:50am

I am Japanese and had never watched it. Now i really want to!
    Thank you!!

12. Livs commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 8:12am

Wow this film looks fantastic! Nice to have you back Holly! Any idea how I could go about seeing this in the UK?

13. Shirley Huang commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 8:30am

I love all these cooking movies. It brings different perspectives. It reminds me of another asian film back in 1994 by Ang lee(Eat Drink Man Woman). It focuses more on family, friends and last but not the least, our own passion.

14. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 10:00am

I like indie and international films the best, so thanks for the recommendation here. Can’t watch to watch this one.
    Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog post ..Lovely Las Vegas- Mundo at World Market

15. Linda Starr commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 11:20am

Good for the daughter starting her own business despite her obstacles, love happy movies, sounds like a good one.
    Linda Starr´s last blog post ..Geometric Shapes

16. Nuit commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 12:34pm

sounds amazing!! thanks for the recommendation =D

xo
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Textile ♥ Love- John Robshaw

17. Luthien commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 1:35pm

I just shared this post at my website http://homefairies.blogspot.com/ :)) hope you don’t mind! I can’t wait to watch this movie!
    Luthien´s last blog post ..Japanese Film Love- Rinco’s Restaurant

18. Coco commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 2:07pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I love non-hollywood films, they are often so more human and yes more creative than the typical Hollywood movies. I hope i can find this movie, sound like a must see!
    Do you only watch japanese movies? There are some great German movies as well ;) (Lola Rennt and Goodbey Lenin) and i love the movies from Anders Thomas Jensen (Danish) but you need to love the humor that sometimes is quit disturbing.

19. s commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 2:29pm

You may also like “A Taste of Tea” a lovely, imaginative Japanese film.

20. Heather commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 4:16pm

Oh do please let me know which other Japanese movies you like. I trust your taste until the end of the world and back, and I’m looking out for Japanese movies as a way of understanding the culture – I’m unexpectedly finding myself having to move there on short notice.

21. frauheuberg commented
    July 22nd, 2010 at 4:43pm

oh, i love japanese film and i will watch this, too…it sounds so exciting and the images are so full of dreams and creativity…thanks for sharing always your “film tips” with us…really great…i love this…;)…hugs…i…
    frauheuberg´s last blog post ..Happy Birthday- frauheuberg!!!

22. Caty commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 11:18am

LOVE jaho is the filmmaker? Can’t find it….

Thanks!

23. Caty commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 11:18am

japanese films wanted to say :)

24. Plate commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 11:55pm

I really like your story about Japanese Films. from some Japanese tv series I have ever seen such a struggle ‘Oshin’ who fought in a hard life but his spirit never goes out. truly inspiring !
    Plate´s last blog post ..Fun Bathroom Ideas For Your Remodel

25. lauren commented
    July 26th, 2010 at 11:15am

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m going to Japan in less than two months and would love to see this before leaving…doesn’t seem to be showing in LA anytime soon, but will be on the lookout. I’ve seen a number of Japanese films, and agree that their visual and story telling often feels fresh, perhaps because we’re not used to seeing these movies.
    lauren´s last blog post ..Lines and shapes

26. Martha Rose commented
    July 30th, 2010 at 11:19am

Where would I be able to watch it? It looks like it is coming out on DVD sept. 1st in Japan. Maybe I can get one of my Japanese friends to send it to me! *fingers crossed* One of the best movies I’ve ever seen is “nobody Knows” Its Japanese and sad but amazing too.

27. jadeee_d commented
    July 30th, 2010 at 2:49pm

thanks for this holly – i’ve been on the look out for new films and the trailer for this looks perfect (amelie is one of my favourite films!). anything that captures so much style is right up in my top ten so i reaaaaally need to watch this!

jade

jadeee_d´s last blog post ..music- mayer hawthorne

28. sand commented
    September 9th, 2010 at 8:51pm

i was looking for this film !it is fantastic!

29. sara commented
    December 27th, 2010 at 11:52pm

i really liked it!
    however, can someone help me find the music that plays during the credits, and the main song that is like ‘ringo rinko etc etc’ :)

loved it thanks!
    sara´s last blog post ..stacywahhh giveaway! -D

30. Emily commented
    April 20th, 2011 at 2:56am

Hello! I ADORE this movie; it’s the sweetest film ever. I really liked the atmosphere of the whole town and restaurant and i must agree with you, there were some very beautiful parts. I have a dillema however…where can I buy this movie in the U.S.???? I watched it on a flight to Amsterdam but I can’t seem to find it!! Please help, Emily.