Travel Notes from Los Angeles

So I’m back from Los Angeles and had a great week out there! I stayed at The Farmer’s Daughter on Fairfax Ave. in West Hollywood,  since it was a great location for me to hang out as I had work in the area so the location was prime and the hotel was great! A real gem! I really liked their adjacent restaurant, TART, and the patio area — we had breakfast there a few times and really enjoyed it — so fresh and delicious. Even if you don’t stay at the hotel, you should hit TART to eat and drink.

The Farmer's Daughter

We had a special dinner at TART one night with the book designer and oh la la the cocktails were divine, especially the raspberry Tartini. :) Those came in handy after long days on shoots! Across the street from the hotel is the Original Farmers Market which is this large outdoor area packed with food “kitchens” and plenty of seating. Most of the food was locally sourced and most places seemed to be owned by small, local businesses but there was a pinkberry and a few other chains as well but I liked the mashup of things and enjoyed having so many great meals at super affordable prices directly across the street.

The Farmer's Daughter

The Farmer's Daughter

Also next to the farmers market I found a massive outdoor shopping area with a big Barnes + Noble, Anthropologie, Nordstrom (they had a killer sale that week and yes, I picked up some things), movie theater, more restaurants, J.Crew, I could list the stores but I don’t want to bore you – you get the drift. Being a tourist and out of the country for nearly a year, it was fun to shop at some of my favorite big box stores because we don’t have the same stores here in Germany and when I was in New York City the week before, I had little time to shop as we had 7 shoots in one week. Anyhoo — I loved that The Farmer’s Daughter hotel was within walking distance to so much because L.A. traffic is brutal and the less time I am bored in a car the happier I am!

So if you’re ever in L.A. and need a clean, inexpensive hotel with all the basics, great customer service, on-site safe parking, and walking distance to tons of great places to shop and eat then perhaps you’ll like this place. It was suggested to me by Victoria from SFGirlByBay and also another fab lady, Annie May from Yolksy — thanks, ladies! I needed a great place to stay, put a cry for help out on my facebook page, and they suggested a great one. Loved it and will definitely stay again!

LA Trip Highlights

Other great LA spots I hit: Dinner with Leslie Shewring and some other nice peeps at Katsuya on Hollywood and Vine (lots of paparazzi there, very Hollywoodish), the Santa Monica pier and 3rd street promenade (I saw Bruce Willis! For real!), an afternoon on Hermosa Beach just chillin’, dinner with Paul and Marcia from Zia Priven at R+D Kitchen (yum) in Santa Monica, the Getty Museum (gorgeous views and great places to lay in the sun and eat your lunch!), and a slew of random vintage shops and boutiques though I barely had a moment to really “enjoy” any of them as I was constantly on the go but that is how business trips usually are, right? Next time I’m in L.A. though I am organizing a meet and greet because I wanted to hang out with so many of my friends and had no time to do it. Next Spring, for sure!

I’m getting close to wrapping up the travel portion of this book project by the way — next week I’m off to Belgium and the Netherlands, finishing up in Amsterdam, then I go to London I think the week following and that is it! I can’t believe it, I’ve been on the road since the end of April on and off so I won’t know what to do with myself being back at home so much – ha ha! I’ve enjoyed this experience immensely but I’ve really missed connecting online so I look forward to hanging out with you guys more often going forward. :)

—- —- —– —–

Oh and a big P.S. — I cannot forget to tell ya — if you are in the Los Angeles area, then don’t miss the Designer Tag Sale organized by Vanessa De Vargas in Brentwood on July 31st, here is more information in case you are lucky enough to make it!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in travel on July 23, 2010

1. Will commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 1:35pm

The Farmer’s Daughter looks brilliant! I love that name TART, too! Thanks for sharing a snapshot of your time in L.A., Holly, it’s lovely to see and read a little about what you got up to over there.

P.S. All those brill stores?! How you haven’t come back broke I’ll never know… ;) Have a lovely weekend! Will xo
    Will´s last blog post ..Colour Cocktail- Turquoise and Orange

2. Cindy commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 1:44pm

Yay!! So glad you had fun in Los Angeles!

3. Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 2:45pm

I had always thought about staying at the Farmer’s Daughter; I used to live near there and loved how it was across from The Grove. Thanks for the tip!
    Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat´s last blog post ..tea time

4. Jessica O'Brien commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 3:30pm

i’m an angeleno, so i love hearing out-of-towners share what they love in my own city! i’ve actually never eaten at tart (heard mixed reviews) so i may have to add it to my list! and that mall you wandered into? The Grove, my old employer! i was lucky enough to do marketing + special events there for years. love the 3rd & fairfax area – thanks for sharing your trip!

5. ChantaleP commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 3:37pm

Gorgeous photos Holly! I so miss Cali and these pics take me back to wonderful memories!
    ChantaleP´s last blog post ..kites and wind

6. bussbuss commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 4:16pm

Gorgeous photos – sounds like an amazing trip! I am moving to LA in less than two weeks (SO excited) and hope to finally meet in person when you’re back in the spring!

Also, when will the book be out? Can’t wait to see it!
    bussbuss´s last blog post ..LA Lady

7. simone commented
    July 23rd, 2010 at 10:16pm

Yes! I second the recommendations for Tart and Farmer’s Daughter. I’ve had breakfast and dinner and Tart and really loved it. The patio at night is great. I have a soft spot for Farmer’s Daughter. Good people!
    simone´s last blog post ..5 for Friday

8. Juliette commented
    July 24th, 2010 at 12:42am

Hi Holly, thanks for sharing your travel experience! The hotels really seems lovely!
    Good luck with the book, can’t wait!
    Greatings from Belgium, Blankenberge (enjoy your stay next week!)
    Juliette.
    Juliette´s last blog post ..Martha Stewart- the crafts dept

9. francisca commented
    July 25th, 2010 at 6:52am

hello creative people!
    I love your site, it inspires me every day, and my knowledge to open new horizons.
    thank you very much for each publication, I feel the love for what you do.
    I wish you the best in your life !!!!!
    best regards and peace!
    francisca
    (from uruguay)

10. anna commented
    July 25th, 2010 at 12:32pm

what is that pretty font on the last picture? and where can i get it?

11. Marcia commented
    July 26th, 2010 at 9:59pm

Hi Holly,
    So glad you enjoyed your trip to LA and even happier that Paul and I finally got to meet you and Thorsten! Miss you already and look forward to when we get to visit you in Germany. You are a sweetheart and somehow mysteriously related to me, but how?! Love you girl and can’t wait to see that gorgeous book of yours!

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

12. Jemma commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 3:42pm

Hey calling all California Girls (boys too!). I’m thinking of NYC & California for my honeymoon this July from Ireland. Anyone have any must sees/ places to stay etc in California as i’m not sure where to start. Certainly going to stay in The Farmers Daughter after reading this but after that i’m kinda lost…..

J