Me And Alice Blog

July 28, 2010

The Me And Alice blog is so charming with a lovely country home as the focus, located in Dalarna, Sweden. The homeowner is Susanne, a talented stylist and writer who infuses her home with many clever ideas that, whether Swedish Country is your style or not, you can still find some great ideas from some of these photos below because many of them can cross over and be applied in a home that looks very different – be it mid century or a modern ranch. If you don’t believe me, I think you’ll be convinced once you’ve had time to see for yourself…

Me And Alice Blog

The casual beauty of this scene makes me smile. It’s my favorite of the bunch because it feels so inviting and reminds me of the naps I once took (when I had time!) on Sundays after spending the morning on the beach, coming home for a cool shower, and smelling like coconut and salt as I climbed into my bed for a cat nap. I particularly love the stripey pillows, without them it wouldn’t be the same photo! I also like the black letters on the wall.

Me And Alice Blog

This is a vintage mirror from a car that has been repurposed into a makeup mirror. What a smart great idea for something that would otherwise not be used and abandoned in a junk lot!

Me And Alice Blog

Just look at these floors! I know they are your standard hardwood but look at that color and texture, it really warms up the all white space and how many of us would love to have them!

Me And Alice Blog

Using baskets to store vintage cutlery is a nice idea. You could do the same with your modern tableware too, especially if you have decided to serve a very casual buffet-style meal at home whether indoors or out.

Me And Alice Blog

Lovely storage ideas on this kitchen shelf but mostly I am impressed by the styling – very casual yet there was obviously some thought behind it. This is how I style things and decorate my home, casually but at the same time, you know that I put a little effort into the arrangement. :) I also like how there is a chair that tiptoed its way into the table arrangement, hoping no one would notice he has made himself a guest at the family table. Well, we notice him and I think he looks quite smart there, don’t you? I like a little tension in mostly white space, you really need it!

Me And Alice Blog

I like the floor plans and various papers that she has framed for this quiet corner. There are many things in this space, but it doesn’t feel cluttered because the tones used are mostly white so the eye perceives this as less busy than say, if there were many colors and patterns used.

Me And Alice Blog

So many goodies here, I spot several nice jugs and jars. I think the mostly white palette is a hard one to stick by, but if you love white and really enjoy living in a space with lots of it, then go for it!

Me And Alice Blog
Susanne’s writing desk is such an inspirational spot! Storage in glass containers, while nothing new, always looks fresh to me depending on what has been chosen to be on display. From candy to shells, spools of twine to buttons, crayons, and bath soaps… there is no end to what you can collect, store and display! Her yarn basket is lovely on the floor, too.

Me And Alice Blog

While in Cyprus, Susanne gathered these beautiful stones and has now arranged them in a few glass jars – a simple, inexpensive yet special decoration because no doubt memories of her trip wash over her whenever she sees them. Much nicer than memories of buying stones at some department store and filling jars, right? I think it’s important to put some extra thought in the way you decorate your home so that objects tell a more personal story. A jar like this also creates lovely conversation opportunities for when guests have stopped by because when they ask you where you found something that you have on display, you can tell them about your little (and big) adventures.

Any ideas above that you’d like to take away and use in your own space? Which ones? Could you live in a white space? If not, why? If so, do you currently?

(images: me and alice)

You Might Also Like

• Reply chrysso July 28, 2010 at 6:01 am

Lovely post – thanks for sharing – i’ll be visiting ‘me and Alice’ right now! Love the white tones and the simplicity , , and the way that it feels still manages to feel homely. ck :) x

• Reply Milk and Honey Home July 28, 2010 at 6:34 am

Holy Moly…you made my Wednesday. Swedish is my favorite style…and the image with the mix of chairs–to die for.

• Reply Tina July 28, 2010 at 6:57 am

Looks absolutely lovely – thanks for the tip, I love to read new blogs! :-)

• Reply Brooke H July 28, 2010 at 6:59 am

I haven’t had such apartment envy in a while! Absolutely beautiful.

• Reply ruthie July 28, 2010 at 7:04 am

Thanks Holly! I’ve enjoyed this post very much because I love white!! Swedish country is my style and although I live in Madrid most of the people that come home always say that it feels very Scandinavian :-) I started using mainly white some years ago when I got bored of so much color and it really works out for me. It feels very peaceful and clean not to mention bright!! :-)

• Reply caitlin July 28, 2010 at 7:17 am

thanks for sharing these beautiful rooms! i find them all inspiring!

• Reply Lydia July 28, 2010 at 7:29 am

Writing from Cyprus – we’d like our stones back!

(kidding!) lol!

• Reply Annie July 28, 2010 at 8:12 am

I admit that I’ve always been a sucker for vintage white rooms, not only because they evoke such a fresh and light feeling, but because they have great potential for really highlighting accent pieces, particularly honey-colored wood such as that clever chair. This decorative style also offers endless possibilities for juxtaposing the white dishes with a few distinctly different pieces of a more colorful palette, say an ornate pitcher or some pretty tea towels. I love these rooms — the kitchen, the tabletop, the writing desk — I think the only change I would make in my imaginary rearrangement would be to white-wash the walls rather than painting them pure white so that the pattern of the wood shows through a little (it’s often such a shame to paint over wood). And a few more colorful accents would highlight the rooms’ brightness even more, I think.

• Reply Rob July 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

stunning, all the shades of white look amazing

• Reply Will July 28, 2010 at 8:42 am

I freakin’ heart those blue and white striped pillowcases! Off to check them out now – thanks for the heads up!

• Reply annemarie July 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

Oh Swedish design, how I love the white + wood look. And how I could never possibly manage it. But this is stunning.

• Reply claire July 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

This home is so bright & fresh! I love it :)

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... July 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hello (just catching up after coming back from vacation! starting with the newest first:)~~

I love the combination of natural tones (the baskets, the wooden items, the bulletin board, the floors) with the surrounding white. I have a white kitchen (with a wooden table and floors) but would definitely like to incorporate more of this tone into the room. I love the basket of silverware! It’s funny because we just had a family fun night in which I set in the center of the outdoor table a little red bucket and shovel to hold our silverware ( I like the idea of placing it in a basket/bucket for storage and also for casual summer entertaining!

I also love the jars on the desk as a way to hold personal collections. On our recent vacation, my daughter began a beautiful little stone collection. I remember, with my son, just placing his collections in bags and putting them in his room. I’d like to try a more visible type of display, such as the glass jars that Susanne uses. I began a memory jar ( a short while ago, to visibly (as opposed to tucked away into a notebook) capture sweet comments/?’s/conversations and display it on our desk. But now I’d like to expand this idea to other memorabilia! Why keep it all tucked away?? :)

• Reply nannette July 28, 2010 at 9:34 am

Great to always find new adresses on your blog. I’m becoming a real fan of your findings, thanks ever so much!
    As to the ideas I’d like to take away of Me and Alice, I’d say: all of them! I’d do my whole house like that …

• Reply Raru July 28, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love white spaces and I adore that writing space. Gorgeous. Thank you for the inspiration. Have a great day.

• Reply Alicia July 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

this is such an inspiring post. i love to decorate with color, but the way she has done white is absolutely gorgeous

• Reply Cecilie July 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

Yep! I could definately be using the idea with the stones (I’ve saved the picture in my inspiration folder) – I might collect some next time I go to my home country. We live abroad now and it might be fun to have stones from home displayed like this.

• Reply vosgesparis July 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

One of my favorite blogs this is. living in an all white envirmont … I don;t know I think I always would add a little gray in it. a touch of nature and when I feel like it some color as the purple-ish in my all white bedroom.

• Reply Kate July 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

What a cozy looking bed, I can’t imagine I’d ever be on time for work if my bed looked like that!

• Reply Masha July 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love Swedish country style and especially love the kitchen cupboard with all the vintage goodies on the shelves. You can’t go wrong with white and natural…

• Reply Marija July 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

I love their blog. I’m constantly visiting it. . I love the Scandinavian/White feel to each of their spaces I just wish my Swedish was better so I can actually understand more of the things that they write about. I look forward to their little notes in English… Very lovely and charming ….tons of great ideas!!

• Reply Ijeoma July 28, 2010 at 10:54 am

Such a White elegance, I love it! Cheers my dear for sharing.

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor July 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

Lovely home. I would live in a white space because it allows you to play with colors. And I think white is never out of style, never.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Neaner July 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I love the whitewashed farmhouse look in these photos. It feels very serene (and clean)! Also, all that white really lets the forms of objects and the beauty of natural fibers and wood stand out. All that said, an all white existence is just not for me. I don’t have the discipline to decline to buy colorful objects and art!

• Reply Holly of So Chic Decor July 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I love all the white! For me, it has a very peaceful vibe to it. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

• Reply vanessa@cardstyle July 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I love how everything is so clean and white, with dark accents seen in the wood and black lettering. What stunning photos. And I love that mirror! It’s so cool and useful!!

• Reply jennifer ramos July 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I got that same idea from a martha stewart website (the white rocks in the glass jars) I used it at my wedding. :)))))))))))))))))))

• Reply Eva / Sycamore Street Press July 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

How peaceful and fresh these rooms are! I love that look, and would love to emulate it, although I don’t think I can stick to such a strict white palette. I love different colors too much!

• Reply My Owl Barn July 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I love all the white in this place. There so many wonderful ideas I could incorporate in my home. Thanks!

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski July 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I would take away that makeup car mirror, I like objects which are not used in their original purpose, it looks so funny to have a car mirror beside your washbag. Most of our furniture are white – for example our Asplund cupboards “Snowwhite” from Sweden – I love them. But we have colourful cushions and paintings to give all the whites a shake-up, besides we don`t have such an adorable wooden floor to create a warm wooden look.

• Reply soraya nulliah July 28, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I have to admit, I never really liked an all white space until i saw that sparkling kitchen with touches of wood grain…and those floors! I agree; to die for! I still don’t think I could live in an all white space though. Besides the fact that I have a toddler and I am an artist…I have a strong disposition towards a neutral color palette with bold dashes of color. Thanks for the inspiration though Holly…it did give me some smart ideas.

• Reply Lane C July 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Yes I can do this. The kitchen is amazing. I love the storage ideas and how the floor warms up the space. i have been debating about decorating my kitchen white. We currently we have white floors and I love them….ready to do more!

• Reply G. July 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm

so has everything i love in a kitchen design. i would curl up and sleep on those floors!!

• Reply Manette July 29, 2010 at 12:46 am

Love the simplicy that makes this kitchen so great. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Bethan July 29, 2010 at 6:50 am

I’d LOVE to live in this house – fresh white warmed up with natural wood is such a restful, comforting combination for me and it means those special finds and personal touches can really shine. And nobody does this look better than the Swedes!

• Reply Meredith July 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

I love the combination of open shelving and closed cabinetry on the kitchen walls. What a great way to create more storage (for the things you may not want everyone to see) while still maintaining a larger, more open feel.

I always love white homes and am incorporating rooms of white into my own house, but I’m afraid I couldn’t do an entirely white house. I just can’t see it being practical with children. I think the average toy mess would look more like a bomb had exploded against such a clean palette. So, I’m settling for the kitchen and office being white in our home, where the giant toy messes happen less frequently.

• Reply James July 29, 2010 at 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing all of these great pictures. What a great use of white to make the room look great!

• Reply Fabiana July 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love to your pics and ur website! Kisses from Brazil!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente July 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Absolutely beautiful…I love this home so much & the kitchen is dreamy. I adore her styling and all of the white. I personally love white…the more the better. Since we haven’t been able to paint our new home yet, I vacillate between choosing colors for each room or painting most of it white…with maybe a bit of choice wallpaper here and there. Now, I just need some money! :) Thanks for sharing this hun, I adore it.

• Reply decor8 July 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Melissa I just want to say that you’re a doll. I always smile when you’ve left a comment, you always make me feel happier, I adore you!!!

• Reply mer July 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm

so fresh and simple. i love it!

• Reply European Chic July 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Stunning yet simple. The car mirror on the nightstand is genius.

• Reply Casa e Cose July 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I am a fan of her blog and indeed she has a beautifull home.

• Reply cynthia July 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Love the whites and brown tones ensemble. Just how I would like my work space to be one day!

• Reply cathie July 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm

this is so refreshing and joyful – it’s funny how so much life can be shown without a whole lot of color. i adore her decorating style and the precious little bits of child play thrown in throughout the roomscapes. personally i could not live without color in every room – so seeing these rooms was like a mini-mind vacation :)
    totally enjoyable!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang July 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Oh wow ~ the makeup mirror is genius!

Thank you for all the ideas of decorating with white. I have a lot of vintage milk glass from my husbands grandmother that I love to display; however, it becomes a challenge for me since it is white.

• Reply la belette rose July 30, 2010 at 3:26 am

We are looking for a house and your blog is my Number 1 for interior decoration inspiration!

Also wanted to tell you that you are part of my 10 favorite blogs.
    Go and have a look there :
    Your turn, now !

• Reply Susanne July 30, 2010 at 8:10 am

Hello Holly!
    I just found out that you wrote about me!! Thank you so much! I’m really honored to be on your beautiful blog!!!
    Yet again Thank you so so much!!!!!
    xo Susanne

• Reply Dru Ann July 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

“Me and Alice” is the blog that got me rethinking the way I want to decorate…her blog is the reason I am making so many changes with my home AND my business. And I’m a Kentucky – USA Gal ! I have now
    discovered YOUR site through Susanne’s…. LOVE IT ! Stop by and see me sometime….. Have a most Wonderful Day……Dru

• Reply johanna July 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

I love sussanas home!!!!And Sussane is a wonderful person…i love here style.
    Im also often in here on your beatiful blog=)But im not god at leaving comments..=) Have a really nice weekend!
    many hugs Johanna

• Reply simplicity July 30, 2010 at 9:29 am

Yes! Here home is beautiful!! It has been my favorite for a long while!! Lovely!!

Have a nice weekend!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas July 30, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow… everything is so cozy and inviting!

I’d love some kitchenware or signage in my house in Swedish or Norwegian… that would totally rock.

• Reply SoBinique July 30, 2010 at 9:34 am

Wow! I love this place! My livingroom is also all white. You can see it here:

• Reply Kristin July 30, 2010 at 9:37 am

Love her blog! Her pictures are always so beautiful and really capture her surroundings. So glad you spotlighted her.
    Take care

• Reply Loppisliv July 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

I totally agree, Susannes blog and style is one of a kind. Just Lovely!!! Her blog is one of my favourites. Best Regards //Paula

• Reply Beth July 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm

If I could live in *this white house…I would love it! However, I find that decorating in white is actually quite difficult. While it appears so easy, the actual combining of textures and the *right white colors, as a mix of whites is a must, it’s really fairly difficult, in my opinion.

My house is a burst of color…probably too many colors…sometimes I dream of a perfectly dress home of white, just like this one!
    xoxo Beth

• Reply Camilla July 30, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I know! =)) Susanne´s blog is just beautiful!
    I can’t agree with you more!=)

Hugs from Camilla

• Reply Marita Telldén July 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Susanne har en underbar blogg.
    Kram Marita i Heestrand

• Reply Liv July 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

This was really a inspiring post! I have visited her site many times, and through her blog I found yours! So this was a nice visit too!

Smile from Norway – from Liv

• Reply Annelie July 31, 2010 at 6:47 am

I’m new here, so many tips….
    And I love to go to Susanne´s blog

• Reply JTay July 31, 2010 at 10:46 am

*sigh* sooo pretty!

• Reply rebecca geldard August 1, 2010 at 4:21 am

my favourite post of the month. good pict finds.

• Reply Heidi Niskanen August 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Absolutely beautiful home!

• Reply Aansy August 2, 2010 at 1:08 am

well the post is awesome the accent of white is marvelous but i was just thinking that if we color up those sandy bay stones they will look more attractive in that jar.
    sorry, but i feel this way

• Reply Comfy Heaven Home Decor- Anitanirma September 2, 2010 at 1:27 pm

oh so beautiful! I love white interiors. just lovely!

• Reply Marga Fabbri May 2, 2011 at 1:10 am

Absolutely beautiful. love it! thnaks for sharing

• Reply Francine November 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

Lovely … Thanks for sharing!!!

• Reply Gemma August 9, 2014 at 2:22 am

Wooooow!!!! thanks for sharing!! This home it’s very sweet, i love this :-)