Decorating Tips

Samantha Pynn Interiors

August 4, 2010

Any Samantha Pynn fans in the house today? Throw your hands up and say, Oh yeah! I honestly know little about her, she hosts a show on HGTV in Canada called Pure Design, do you watch it? I read somewhere that she is soon to launch her own show in 2011 which may be quite inspirational. I just had a peek at some of her recent interiors and thought you’d be inspired by them so here are a few of my favorites from her online portfolio.

Samantha Pynn Interiors
 Samantha Pynn Interiors
 Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Samantha Pynn Interiors

Do you like these rooms? Do you have a favorite? I like the kitchens because that is the one room that I’m thinking of now that I have to design mine and only have between now and mid September to decide and order what I want. We may do IKEA again, I’m not sure… but there is a kitchen designer living near to us that I may tap into for some help since the space does have some challenges and I want to utilize all of the nooks in the best possible way. I am not a kitchen designer by any means, but I do know what I like and I know how I want everything laid out!

I also love the color palette in the living room shown in the second image from the top. A little charcoal, some pink… yet something about that green pillow really gives that palette energy – it’s so unexpected, I love that. Yet in nature, this is completely normal to have fresh green with pink, isn’t it? Just look at your garden and let it inspire your next room design. Oh and you cannot deny the drama of that stunning over-the-top entryway in the large scale bold black and white pattern. Fantastic! You can really do something like this in an entryway as it’s not a room you plan to relax in so you can experiment with an use an energetic pattern in this space of a home, don’t you agree?

(photos: Virginia Macdonald)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Christine August 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

OH YEAH! Throwing my hands up for my fellow Canadian! I love Samantha Pynn’s work. The eco approach to everything and her rooms always have a little quirky, whimsical touch.

• Reply Holly of So Chic Decor August 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love all of these rooms…it’s hard to choose a favorite! I think the Kitchen is definitely my fav.

• Reply irene August 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm

• Reply Casa e Cose August 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm

The kitchen!!!! Fabolous with its white clean lines, dark wooden floors, metal shelves for your nice kitchen wear…clean walls and allways some flowers. Very feminine!

• Reply kathryn August 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Love her work. They used to show Pure Design on HGTV USA but it was yanked some time ago – boo. Her rooms are often showcased in Style at Home magazine too.

• Reply amandalee August 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Oh my goodness, this is all adorable. I would like to blow those photos up and paste them to my walls, so I could live inside them. :-D

• Reply deborah August 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Wow. Beautiful, beautiful interiors. Can I just move right in? I’m a kitchen designer here, in the states, and I find these kitchens wonderfully inspiring. They illustrate that breaking the ‘rules’ can make for a lovely, lovely space!

• Reply Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy August 4, 2010 at 2:24 pm

My hands are up right now! I love Samantha Pynn! I watch the show religiously and love every design she does!

• Reply Afi August 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Her show is one of my favorites! I love her delicate style! My favorite from these room is the bedroom with pink and blue and white china designs! Oh, I want those pillows!!!

• Reply Mandy Ford August 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Love these spaces – her use of color is gorgeous. I really love the first two images.

• Reply tricia @ clementine decor August 4, 2010 at 3:15 pm

i’ve never heard of this designer but i am in love with the third to last picture of the dining area….those striped drapes are to die for!!! such a simple yet glamorous room!

• Reply Jacilyn August 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I really love the kitchen with the open shelves. It is so crisp and clean. Someday…sigh…I will have a kitchen like that. I also like the bold green pattern on the chairs with the turquoise flower pillow – my favorite colors.

• Reply Monica Burke August 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm

In case any of you have fallen in love with the art deco light fixture in the first photo of the Samantha Pynn feature, it’s from – they have fabulous hardware too!

• Reply Kristle August 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I HEART Samantha Pynn. She does magical things with her designs. I first knew about her via CityTV’s Cityline when she would let us in to the awesomeness that is her brain on home days or design segments on the show. Pure Design is lovely. I only wish there were more episodes to watch – lots of re-runs of shows I’ve already seen.

The best thing about her from my perspective is that she IS Canadian. It means that when I watch her show I can actually go find the exact same items in my ‘hood. So much of the time I am inspired by something I see then spend years searching high and low for it – to no avail. Samantha deserves props for one thing above all else: unlike Candice Olsen and Sarah Richardson (also Canadian designers with shows), Samantha knows how to EDIT and doesn’t overwhelm spaces with unnecessary clutter.

By the way, the colour palette in the second photo is yummy. I say go for it! My favourite design on her site/the show is Lindsay’s Bedroom from the 1st season. It features West Elm’s gorgeous organic pin-tucked bedding. So dreamy.

• Reply Milk and Honey Home August 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I love the kitchen, too, and the chair with kelly green imp. trellis mixed with the cabbages & roses-ish pillow. Her style is uber-trendy, though, so it isn’t really my thing, but they are pretty!

• Reply Alyssa August 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

LOVE the green chairs in the bedroom and the pillows in them!!! The dining room with the blue striped curtains-Refreshing!

• Reply Jessica August 4, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Virginia McDonald is the talented one. These photos are pure Virginia gold.

Sam is not good tv. Much better behind the camera.

• Reply lesley August 4, 2010 at 7:26 pm

i love samantha pynn’s style, clean + contemporary but warm. always stylish and always thoughtful. [plus, i love seeing fellow canadians highlighted around the web!!]
    the kitchens definitely call to me, as i am also planning a little kitchen reno this fall. nothing major, but all new cabinets, counters, etc. samantha’s portfolio is somewhere i’ve looked many times for inspiration!
    i can’t wait to see what you do with your kitchen :)

• Reply elizabeth August 4, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I love the bedrooms, they are so peaceful

• Reply eyeseepretty August 4, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Samantha is a great designer and is often featured a morning talk show here in Toronto. She is also one of the decorating editors of Style at Home magazine (Canadian Home Decor mag) and is also a complete sweetie in person. I hadn’t heard she was launching a new show but hope it to be true as she is extremely talented!

• Reply Betsy August 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Beautiful, but light hearted! I am loving the clean, but not too bold, contrast of light and dark. Quite nice. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 4, 2010 at 11:03 pm

LOVE that kitchen so very much! And the bedrooms….so beautiful & I adore the beautiful color used. Two of my faves, green & pink! Thanks for sharing these hun, so great!

• Reply Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi August 4, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I’ve watched several episodes of her show and I love how she incorporates items the homeowners already have and breathes life into old pieces.

I remember one particular glam dining room she did that was just fab!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang August 5, 2010 at 12:00 am

I love the open shelves in the pictures! They are so clean and eye catching.

• Reply jennifer ramos August 5, 2010 at 1:47 am

I really like her work and have seen it so many times…BUT my fave is that dining table pic, I swear…. it’s highly inspirational! :)))))))))

• Reply UmbrellaIsland August 5, 2010 at 2:13 am

I simply love the bedrooms… maybe because I am working on mine at the moment. These pictures gave me so much inspiration that I though of changing all the plans and go got something closer to those amazing rooms. :P But now it is too late. Argh!

• Reply mimi August 5, 2010 at 5:41 am

I am SO in love with the green patterned chairs in the living room! I wonder where that fabric is from…..Sigh…. covet :)

• Reply Masha August 5, 2010 at 6:29 am

I love the little bench below the mirror.

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski August 5, 2010 at 8:17 am

I like the corridor in picture 3 because of its black and white checkered wallpaper. I like the way those two powederd pink cushions are placed on the shoe cabinet which is also a bench – I think those delicate cushions are a nice contrast to the geometrical striking wallpaper. It seems to be a small room but the large black framed mirrow let the corridor appear larger. Maybe I like this room because it reminds me of the interor of the movie “Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky” which I enjoyed so much…

• Reply Gosia August 5, 2010 at 8:22 am

I like the colour combo in the last but one pic _ so summery and refrehing, like a dive in a pool..

• Reply Piper August 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

You had me at the first picture!!! That kitchen is amazing, wow. All the white…sigh, so pretty. I like her pops of pink too – really works well in those rooms.

• Reply Jillian August 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

I love Samantha Pynn and Pure Design. That show was such a breath of fresh air on HGTV. It was accessible and realistic without being DIY and cheesy, as some of their shows tend to be. It reminded me a little of Room Service. I’ve been wanting to see more from Samantha so I’m really excited to hear she’ll have her own show.

• Reply Molly August 5, 2010 at 9:30 am

I find your blog so refreshing. Everyday I come into work and start my day off with your recent entries. I noticed in todays entry that you are looking to remodel your kitchen. I know you’re not in the area, but I work for a kitchen design company in DC and am actually one of the designers. I was thinking if you wanted some more ideas, I’d love to be in contact!

• Reply Terri August 5, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love her style! My favorite is the pink & blue bedroom… such a great mix of colors.

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas August 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Quite lovely design overall… I’m especially gaga about the kitchen.

• Reply Courtney August 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thanks for introducing her! I’ve never seen the show, but now I think I’ll have to find a way to watch HGTV Canada here in Louisiana. I’ve actually had one of her photos ( saved in my inspiration files for some time now, but didn’t have a reference for it. I’ve loved that wall of frames for so long and now I have even more to go ga ga about! The floor to ceiling wallpapered sitting room is fabulous and the green and white trellis chairs are to die for! Love it.

• Reply Melody August 5, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love the green and white chair!

• Reply MorganRose August 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am LOVING the kitchen!! The use of stainless steel open shelving instead of bulky overhead cabinets is refreshing. It’s so open and airy, but also looks like you can actually function in the space! Also loving the white pallete with touches of soft pink.

thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Lauren August 5, 2010 at 11:13 am

I love every single one of these, faves are the open shelving in the kitchen pics, and that fantastic green trellis fabric in the bedroom. Is Pure Design showing in the US too? Would love to see her in action!

• Reply Post-College Working Girl August 5, 2010 at 11:32 am

oh yeah! I mean…this may just be my favorite thing you have ever shared on here. It is my dream space!

• Reply Natascha August 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

I L O V E this place! Gorgous kitchen, love the dining area and just the overall look of the place. :-)

• Reply Lucy August 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’m nervious, I check your blog for a long time noa and it’s my first comment! :D
    I just adore every post you make and find them so inspiring; and lets say that inspiration travels fast cause I’m in the very south of the world, in Argentina.
    I just wanted to thank you fo all this beautifull pictures, it just make me wanna move and start decorating from zero.
    Congratulations on your work and perfect taste!
    Have a nice day,

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor August 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’m in love with Samantha interiors!! Lovely. I like the way she mix the colors… just perfect!

• Reply Téa August 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I <3 Samantha Pynn! I get inspired by every one of her designs :)

• Reply Amyks August 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Beautiful rooms, but what I really want to know is why HGTV Canada has all the great design shows and here in the States we get “House Hunters” every night for 1-2 hours, ugh!

• Reply Gina August 5, 2010 at 5:32 pm

i am desperately in need of a nook in my home :)

<3 gina

• Reply Laura K. Aiken August 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Oh I just love the round table in the dining room along with it’s chairs, then the second best is the S i L v E r phone….oh those phones are so easy to handle and hear from…not to mention the color. ONe more thing was the black and white painting or print of the chandalier.

• Reply Katy August 5, 2010 at 9:42 pm

This makes me want a home to decorate even more than I already do!

• Reply sharon August 6, 2010 at 7:40 am

I loved Sam’s Pure Design show on HGTV but its not showing anymore? I especially loved how she’d reuse items and bring in recycled/repurposed art from local artists. She would visit the studios of those artists to see how they interpret their art and purchase a piece specific to the room she was redecorating. My favorite piece above is the green and white lattice fabric chair that she turned from tired to inspired ;)

• Reply Interior Design Miami August 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I love the spaces and especially love the photo styling. Does Samantha do her own photo styling? We do our own styling for photo shoots in our office and get really excited about it because it is a very fun part of the job. Great job, I especially love that it is elegant and somewhat feminine!

• Reply Kiddlebug August 7, 2010 at 1:37 am

I love how she takes what the clients already have and make it work.

• Reply Vanessa August 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

I caught an episode of Pure Design when visiting my parents in Canada – LOVED it! Wish they showed it here in the US :(

• Reply BT August 7, 2010 at 8:09 am

Just lovely rooms! Clean, crisp & comfprting.

• Reply angie @ gnomeangel August 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh that kitchen is sublime! I think I would be too afraid to use it, I would just have to sit there starring at it’s wonderfulness. *drool*

• Reply delainey August 8, 2010 at 12:26 am

i also love the metal kitchen shelves. does anyone know who makes them or how i could find them?

• Reply Tiffany August 8, 2010 at 5:20 am

Thank you for turning me onto her – love the rooms and the crispness of them. I hope she gets a show of her own!

• Reply Happy Turtle August 8, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Love it!

• Reply Eric Siu August 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I absolutely love Samantha’s work + her stuff on HGTV’s interior design show too!

• Reply Gloria December 16, 2010 at 1:03 am

Love Sam Paynn, lovely lady and absolutely like her work, she’s talented lady. Keep it uP ! Sam….:)

• Reply seocology November 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I find her style very refreshing. The ease in which she recycled lamp shades makes me wonder if I could do the same too. I saw one of the episodes of pure design in which she renovated a 1930s room to a modern classic look (the photos of which are featured on this page) was really very interesting!