Creative At Home

If you are looking for some creative DIY ideas for your home to inject a little personality then I have a few ideas to share! I recently picked up a copy of Creative At Home in Germany and found some sweet projects. If you live in Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and of course Germany then you can find it where most magazines are sold. You’ll need to buy the magazine to get templates and instructions but here is a glimpse of a few that I liked…

creative at home

I normally do not by Creative At Home since I but so many mags as it is — I like the projects and overall layout/style of Dutch DIY mag 101 Woonideeen (I wish they’d publish that mag in English) but this copy of Creative At Home had a nice cover and so I picked it up and instantly found a few projects that I could connect to. I sometimes find the crafting ideas and styles in magazines looking a bit too crafty if you know what I mean, whereas the ones in mags like 101 Woonideeen usually look more artistic and creative and less “glue guns and bead projects gone wild” if you catch my drift.

creative at home

creative at home

I like the idea of handpainting a coat rack like this one above, which show deer. If you cannot paint you can always cut out images from wallpaper or even fabric and use Mod Podge to adhere and also to seal it. Another fun DIY is to take two branches and use them to form a deer head and paint eyes on it – sweet art for a kid’s room! I think my favorite idea from the magazine is to paint a wooden table silver. It works here because they’ve used a table with lots of texture — it could look slightly tacky on a smooth table with no visible grain. I like how they’ve applied it very lightly, you can still see the wood in some parts making it a bit more weathered. It’s great that they skipped painting the legs silver, that would have looked very kitschy.

It’s all about knowing when to say ENOUGH when you are making things at home, isn’t it? Editing is so important but as important is self control and pulling the plug because often you can overdo a project and it comes out looking like an art project from a 5th grader. It’s a fine line, isn’t it? LOL.

Great job, Creative At Home!

(images: creative at home scanned)

Posted by decor8 in diy on August 10, 2010

1. laura trevey commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:27pm

Love the creative coat rack… You can really take this idea and run with it!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Bohemian Flair Coastal Living

2. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Pretty cool vibe from the photos and I do like the table idea… I didn’t realize it was painted silver until I read your text. It almost looks like it is a light, rustic wood, at least from the first collage of pictures, where it is visually more distant. Nifty idea!
    Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog post ..Lovely Las Vegas- Happy New Week!

3. Julia commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:21pm

What a coincidence! Bought this magazine last weekend. And I was pleasantly surprised like you :)

4. Callie from CityCraft commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:21pm

Have you seen the Marie Claire Idees magazine? Very similar feel. I picked up a copy when I was in Paris in July. Really wish we had something similar in the states!

Callie from CityCraft

5. Torrie @ a place to share... commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:21pm

I’m right there with you regarding the fine line between over-doing and having self control, so as not to over-do. I actually don’t purchase many “craft” books or magazines because I agree that many are just too “crafty” looking:). I don’t mind a project that looks “hand-made” but I also want it to look like something that you’d actually purchase!
    Torrie @ a place to share…´s last blog post ..a place to share recipes

6. Rick@Home Decor Accents commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:19pm

One reason why I always will come back to this blog is, because of the variety of design styles and ideas from different countries, that you post here.
    For me (originally from Germany but Texan with all of my heart now) it is very exciting to see you posted something that you liked and you found in Germany and you share it with the rest of the world. Thanks for sharing.
    I really like the key and coat rack. It reminds me of decorations I have seen in Bavaria and the Black Forest areas in the southern part of Germany. I think decor like that is typically for those areas. It’s kind of a German “country” style. :)
    Thanks for sharing and I hope you had a great time in Germany.

7. Sobinique commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:21pm

This looks like a great magazine!
    I love 101 woonideeen as well! It’s one of my favourite Dutch magazines!
    Sobinique´s last blog post ..Kees van Dongen

8. Katja commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:36pm

i love “creative at home” – a very cute magazine <3 and you know, there are not too many great craft magazines here in germany.

9. Elkie commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:52pm

I am sucker for magazines as it is, but chic international DIY magazines make my heart swoon. Hope you enjoy your trip!
    Elkie´s last blog post ..Win a Sweet Tote Bag full of Beauty Products!

10. Samantha commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:32pm

I just tried my hand at spray paining tin cans white and adding japanese tape, after seeing one posted on here in the colour me pretty post, and I’m really rather impressed with myself. you know.. in a really childish look at what I made kind of way…they are pretty though..

That magazine looks lovely
    Samantha´s last blog post ..Rice Autumn-Winter 2010

11. Jessa commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:51pm

So simple and stunning! I love how effortless it looks. Gorgeous!!
    Jessa´s last blog post ..The Key To My Heart

12. Jacilyn commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Oh those are beautiful pages, wish I could get that magazine. Seems like here in the states all my favorites are gone now. Love that silver table!
    Jacilyn´s last blog post ..happy

13. a pocket full of posies commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 11:07pm

So true!… there is always that fine little line! (which on occasion I have been known to cross)
    Love the look of this new mag.! such inspiration!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings!
    Jill

14. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 12:07am

I love this….and I totally catch your drift :) I love these projects and the silver table is beautiful. I agree, it is hard to know when to stop sometimes, I hope I am able to stop when I should! :)
    xo
    Melis

15. Cookie Cutter commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 4:31am

I really like the deer idea! (Adding on to the many projects I want to try my hand at).

16. flowing moments commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 9:07am

i wish i could get this magazine in France ! the photographs and feel of it are lovely … and that image with the table/bureau is really my style :) … but I should not be too sad, there is still “Merci” in Paris to be visited !! merci …

17. Lilly commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 11:55am

The table looks like it has a very sharp edge to me,
    I would totally scratch up my arms while working.
    And the table legs would drive me insane because I’d just keep
    banging my legs while working.

Pretty perhaps, but not practical.

18. Helena [room and serve] commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 4:03pm

I´m sure you will love Mimou´s new collection please check in my post about it. http://roomservice.blogg.se/2010/august/mimous-katalog-lanserad-for-2011.html
    Helena [room and serve]´s last blog post ..Mimous katalog lanserad för 2011

19. Stacey commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 4:04pm

I wish i could get those magazines here! Great Diy’s too.
    Stacey´s last blog post ..A Pop of colour

20. Bobbi commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 4:29pm

I agree with Stacey! You show so many gorgeous European mags; it would be so wonderful to be able to get them here in the US:)
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..Cherry Pitting Meditaion

21. Tracey Chalk commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 4:38pm

i love finding new mags. If only all mags were everywhere. sigh.
    Tracey Chalk´s last blog post ..Vintage Travel Art