Albion Cafe London

I’m not sure if you remember this but I’ve been to London a few times over the past couple of months and on one trip I visited Albion, a cafe around the corner from Emily’s shop Caravan (I can’t wait until her next book is out!) and nearby to the lovely Squint (more here). If you are in London you must go to Caravan and Squint and then have lunch at Albion and grab some snacks for the road in their pretty little grocery store.

Albion, London

Albion is such a nice spot to linger for lunch, rain or shine. I had the best sandwich there, but warning: portions are huge and one sandwich is equivalent to two so if you are with a friend considering sharing one no matter how big your appetite – you will never finish it!

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Albion, London

Don’t you love chalkboard menus? I never tire of them…

These photos were all taken by Jillian Leiboff who was also in London recently (she lives and works as a photographer in Australia), and since her photos captured the farmer’s market ambiance of Albion so nicely I thought I’d share them with you today with Jillian’s blessing, of course. Thank you Jillian for sharing these photos with decor8 today!

Have you been to Albion? It’s in Shoreditch @ 4 Boundary Street. If you haven’t visited yet it’s about time you did! :) Maybe this post is a gentle nudge? Here’s another little nudge, an abbreviated London guide from me to you. xo

(images: jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in food, travel on August 11, 2010

1. Linz commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 11:49pm

why, oh why, do you make me wish for the impossible? ok, not impossible EVER, but impossible right now. ohhhhh, i yearn!

2. La Belle Vie commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 11:50pm

I never tire of chalkboard menus!! I have one in my home. ; )

I also love the wood floor!!!!! Stunning!!!

3. Heather commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 12:01am

oh yes, and they do a very nice afternoon tea! Just be sure that you’re hungry, the scones are *generous*, but the best thing? It’s the lovely brown tea pot it comes in, one just like my nanna used to have. Lovely.

You did well, Holly! Great collection of places.
    Heather´s last blog post ..Roman &amp Williams

4. Justina Blakeney commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 12:42am

I was there at the Albion Cafe last year on a visit to London. I bought that fun tote bag (that I have totally thrashed now from farmers market adventures) and some delicious caramels in the cutest tins. Love the pics! Brought back some really fun memories!
    Justina Blakeney´s last blog post ..Double Rainbow- So intense

5. Penny (Pocket Carnival) commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 1:59am

Oh! I want to go to London!
    Penny (Pocket Carnival)´s last blog post ..my creative space- studio shots

6. Torrie @ a place to share... commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 2:37am

someday:).
    Torrie @ a place to share…´s last blog post ..KNOCK KNOCK

7. laura trevey commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 2:47am

Love the chalkboard menu full of fresh veggies!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Bold Vision – Daniella Dress- Design and Decor

8. handmadeflowers commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 2:53am

No I have never been to Albion, but I surely wish I was there. I can only look at the lovely lovely pictures. Thanks for giving me my first trip:)
    handmadeflowers´s last blog post ..Chiffon Flower Hair pins accessories with a crystals and beads

9. shari @ little blue deer commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 3:28am

Oh, delicious! I would to rock that tote! And I’m obsessing just slightly over the red chairs!
    shari @ little blue deer´s last blog post ..Shades of Gray

10. Mimi commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 3:32am

I just love the red thonet chairs they add so much warmth! Mimi x
    Mimi´s last blog post ..Welcome

11. Giasa commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 3:57am

Albion cafe ? i have not went there ,i hope i can visit London someday.

12. sunny commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 7:53am

love this place

13. Hélène commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 8:06am

I WANT GOING IN THIS RESTAURANT.
    WHY I’M LIVING IN FRANCE…. :(

14. Hélène commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 8:08am

I WANT. I WANT. I WANT….

15. Will commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 9:14am

I used to work down the road from Squint at a magazine publishers…I used to pop into their store to swoon at the furniture and then grab a bite (as a Friday treat!) from Albion. Work hard; play hard, right?!
    Will´s last blog post ..Lonny Magazine- August-Sept 2010 – My Favourites

16. Joyce commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 9:20am

Thanks for sharing this address, Holly! We’re going to London this month and I really think we will not leave Shoreditch this time: so many great places. And I’m really excited to have dinner at Saf then!

17. katie commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 10:59am

Funny to see you post this as my office is literally over the road from Albion – we’re always popping in for scones and giant cookies, and I have my knitting group there every Tuesday. :)
    katie´s last blog post ..The Old Cinema

18. Giasa commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 12:33pm

I want to go to London for a visit!

19. Caroline, No commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 1:52pm

Love the Albion, I used to follow them on twitter when I worked nearby and they’d tweet out the daily bake list. Dangerous. Great place. :) x
    Caroline, No´s last blog post ..Jennifer- Oh Jenny

20. Jill Wignall commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 2:31pm

How lovely to actually read about somewhere that I can go to, and do go to! So often I see lovely places on line that are on the other side of the world and I know I won’t get to visit them. It’s fun to see one of my local places. They make the best homemade bourban biscuits which are three times larger than a normal one! : )

21. Hilary Sturzaker commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 2:33pm

absolutely love the Albion and Caravan and make a beeline for both when in london…will be there again in sept, can’t wait… fab photos!

22. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    August 13th, 2010 at 1:35am

I guess I’ll just have to fly back to London to try out this lovely place. I’m sad Leslie and I missed going here when we were in London in June. Oh well, good excuse to go back! I love the combination of the grocery/produce and cafe. The photos make me want to go now! Thanx for highlighting Albion, it’s on my “go to” list.
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast &amp How I start my Alkaline day

23. New to Stokie commented
    August 17th, 2010 at 1:50pm

I adore Albion, but actually had a really disappointing experience there. I went for the first time with my mum and had never had such horrible treatment as we did by our waitress. The place is lovely and their food is nice, but I’m weary of going back as a dinner. I don’t mind stopping in to shop though.

24. decor8 commented
    August 17th, 2010 at 1:57pm

New to Stokie – You should file your complaint directly with them vs. only leaving it here because I’m willing to bet they’d treat you to a free dinner if you told them about your bad experience! Good luck and I’m sorry about your experience.

25. Lilian commented
    August 18th, 2010 at 4:42pm

hey, that’s me in the red dress in the picture! I must say, the food there is so-so. But the dessert and the stuff you can buy from the deli section, especially the cupcakes and meringues, are divine!

26. decor8 commented
    August 18th, 2010 at 6:17pm

@Lilian – That is you?!? What are the chances, right? Do you live in London? How did you come across this photo, do you read decor8 regularly or did someone tell you about it? Just curious, that is so cool. You look cute in the photo by the way. I kept thinking when I saw that photo, I wonder who the cute girl in the red/white dress is? I’m dead serious, I liked how you were looking at the camera!

27. nolita*wanders commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 10:56pm

bookmarking this for my next visit, thank you for the lovely post! :)