Travel

Albion Cafe London

August 11, 2010

I’m not sure if you remember this but I’ve been to London a few times over the past couple of months and on one trip I visited Albion, a cafe around the corner from Emily’s shop Caravan (I can’t wait until her next book is out!) and nearby to the lovely Squint (more here). If you are in London you must go to Caravan and Squint and then have lunch at Albion and grab some snacks for the road in their pretty little grocery store.

Albion Cafe London

Albion is such a nice spot to linger for lunch, rain or shine. I had the best sandwich there, but warning: portions are huge and one sandwich is equivalent to two so if you are with a friend considering sharing one no matter how big your appetite – you will never finish it!

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Albion Cafe London

Don’t you love chalkboard menus? I never tire of them…

These photos were all taken by Jillian Leiboff who was also in London recently (she lives and works as a photographer in Australia), and since her photos captured the farmer’s market ambiance of Albion so nicely I thought I’d share them with you today with Jillian’s blessing, of course. Thank you Jillian for sharing these photos with decor8 today!

Have you been to Albion? It’s in Shoreditch @ 4 Boundary Street. If you haven’t visited yet it’s about time you did! :) Maybe this post is a gentle nudge? Here’s another little nudge, an abbreviated London guide from me to you. xo

(images: jillian leiboff)

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Linz August 11, 2010 at 11:49 pm

why, oh why, do you make me wish for the impossible? ok, not impossible EVER, but impossible right now. ohhhhh, i yearn!

• Reply La Belle Vie August 11, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I never tire of chalkboard menus!! I have one in my home. ; )

I also love the wood floor!!!!! Stunning!!!

• Reply Heather August 12, 2010 at 12:01 am

oh yes, and they do a very nice afternoon tea! Just be sure that you’re hungry, the scones are *generous*, but the best thing? It’s the lovely brown tea pot it comes in, one just like my nanna used to have. Lovely.

You did well, Holly! Great collection of places.

• Reply Justina Blakeney August 12, 2010 at 12:42 am

I was there at the Albion Cafe last year on a visit to London. I bought that fun tote bag (that I have totally thrashed now from farmers market adventures) and some delicious caramels in the cutest tins. Love the pics! Brought back some really fun memories!

• Reply Penny (Pocket Carnival) August 12, 2010 at 1:59 am

Oh! I want to go to London!

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... August 12, 2010 at 2:37 am

someday:).

• Reply laura trevey August 12, 2010 at 2:47 am

Love the chalkboard menu full of fresh veggies!!

• Reply handmadeflowers August 12, 2010 at 2:53 am

No I have never been to Albion, but I surely wish I was there. I can only look at the lovely lovely pictures. Thanks for giving me my first trip:)

• Reply shari @ little blue deer August 12, 2010 at 3:28 am

Oh, delicious! I would to rock that tote! And I’m obsessing just slightly over the red chairs!

• Reply Mimi August 12, 2010 at 3:32 am

I just love the red thonet chairs they add so much warmth! Mimi x

• Reply Giasa August 12, 2010 at 3:57 am

Albion cafe ? i have not went there ,i hope i can visit London someday.

• Reply sunny August 12, 2010 at 7:53 am

love this place

• Reply Hélène August 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

I WANT GOING IN THIS RESTAURANT.
    WHY I’M LIVING IN FRANCE…. :(

• Reply Hélène August 12, 2010 at 8:08 am

I WANT. I WANT. I WANT….

• Reply Will August 12, 2010 at 9:14 am

I used to work down the road from Squint at a magazine publishers…I used to pop into their store to swoon at the furniture and then grab a bite (as a Friday treat!) from Albion. Work hard; play hard, right?!

• Reply Joyce August 12, 2010 at 9:20 am

Thanks for sharing this address, Holly! We’re going to London this month and I really think we will not leave Shoreditch this time: so many great places. And I’m really excited to have dinner at Saf then!

• Reply katie August 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Funny to see you post this as my office is literally over the road from Albion – we’re always popping in for scones and giant cookies, and I have my knitting group there every Tuesday. :)

• Reply Giasa August 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I want to go to London for a visit!

• Reply Caroline, No August 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Love the Albion, I used to follow them on twitter when I worked nearby and they’d tweet out the daily bake list. Dangerous. Great place. :) x

• Reply Jill Wignall August 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

How lovely to actually read about somewhere that I can go to, and do go to! So often I see lovely places on line that are on the other side of the world and I know I won’t get to visit them. It’s fun to see one of my local places. They make the best homemade bourban biscuits which are three times larger than a normal one! : )

• Reply Hilary Sturzaker August 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

absolutely love the Albion and Caravan and make a beeline for both when in london…will be there again in sept, can’t wait… fab photos!

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister August 13, 2010 at 1:35 am

I guess I’ll just have to fly back to London to try out this lovely place. I’m sad Leslie and I missed going here when we were in London in June. Oh well, good excuse to go back! I love the combination of the grocery/produce and cafe. The photos make me want to go now! Thanx for highlighting Albion, it’s on my “go to” list.

• Reply New to Stokie August 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I adore Albion, but actually had a really disappointing experience there. I went for the first time with my mum and had never had such horrible treatment as we did by our waitress. The place is lovely and their food is nice, but I’m weary of going back as a dinner. I don’t mind stopping in to shop though.

• Reply decor8 August 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

New to Stokie – You should file your complaint directly with them vs. only leaving it here because I’m willing to bet they’d treat you to a free dinner if you told them about your bad experience! Good luck and I’m sorry about your experience.

• Reply Lilian August 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

hey, that’s me in the red dress in the picture! I must say, the food there is so-so. But the dessert and the stuff you can buy from the deli section, especially the cupcakes and meringues, are divine!

• Reply decor8 August 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

@Lilian – That is you?!? What are the chances, right? Do you live in London? How did you come across this photo, do you read decor8 regularly or did someone tell you about it? Just curious, that is so cool. You look cute in the photo by the way. I kept thinking when I saw that photo, I wonder who the cute girl in the red/white dress is? I’m dead serious, I liked how you were looking at the camera!

• Reply nolita*wanders August 20, 2010 at 10:56 pm

bookmarking this for my next visit, thank you for the lovely post! :)