Home

D. Porthault Luxury Linens

August 13, 2010

What girl doesn’t dream of owning D. Porthault linens? It seems like a very city girl thing to have, especially in New York and London, where I seem to see them in bedrooms the most. In fact, one of my dear friends just spent over $1,000 on linens for her bed and I must say, I was a bit green because I could never imagine spending that much on sheets but then again, I was raised differently than she was — my parents were not into luxury brands so I never gave them much of a thought.

D. Porthault Luxury Linens

To me, luxury goods were part of someone else’s world, not mine, and I was okay with that. But after seeing her amazing sheets and spending the night in her flat (she dressed my bed in them as well), I began thinking that perhaps the luxury world does not have to belong to the rich and fabulous, perhaps I could hit a D. Porthault tag sale in London or New York in the near future or maybe buy one or two nice things vs. an entire collection, just to have some of the luxx in my life. Though I must admit, I’ve never spent $200 on a bath towel so I think I’d need a very strong cocktail to get the courage!

D. Porthault is a luxury brand made in France using the finest materials, designed by the D. Porthault team in Paris. It’s a very exclusive brand, the Rolls Royce of linens. That makes them very expensive, you can expect to pay around $200 for a 56″ x 48″ bath towel or $150 for a slightly smaller one measuring around 31″ x 51″. Not for the budget minded shopper. But there is a place for luxury items, we need them in the world, and so I support the luxury market because a little Chanel, Tiffany and D. Porthault goes a very long way!

Are you a D. Porthault fan? Do you own or are you like me, a secret admirer? I would love to own the Bouquet Eclate towels for my new guest bathroom or the lovely pink Coeurs towels OR (I know, right?) the yellow Mimosa pattern. For the bed, I adore nearly all of the patterns shown here, they are so feminine and the sheets themselves feel like heaven to slip between.

So tell me, do you buy luxury goods? If so, what do you buy and why? How much money would you spend on luxury items for yourself or for your home?

(images: D. Porthault)

30 Comments

• Reply Lulu24 August 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Wow! I have never seen this company before but now I’m in love… I don’t think I could justify the expense though and i’m having a bit of a white sheet moment right now. Still, Mimosa is to die for!

When I got married I bought myself some expensive shoes (which are blue and I will wear them again) and an expensive handbag for my honeymoon. The handbag was half price on sale. I like a bit of luxury but I cherish these items and plan to keep them forever.

• Reply Piper (DailyDivaDish) August 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm

While I would love to have them, I don’t think I could ever imagine spending the kind of money it would take to own D. Porthault linens. However, I am a bit picky about the thread-count in my sheets. So after much searching, I’ve found some amazing deals on Smartbargains.com for 800 thread count and beyond. It’s become my go-to place for such things. It’s not D. Porthault…but it works for me. ;)
    XO Piper

• Reply Nick Klaus August 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I don’t buy much, but when I do buy things for myself I want them to be of a high quality because I want them to last a long time. Despite the fact that I am a college student with minimal income, I do buy luxury items, mostly clothes, mostly as gifts for family.
    I would spend money towards a very nice sheet set because I spend more time in my bed than any other place. (Though I would lean towards a more masculine pattern than what D. Porthault offers) I think it makes sense to invest in a few high-quality pieces of furniture that will last a lifetime rather than have more furniture of a lower quality. I’m not really sure about a price range, but if it is something I love, I would not hesitate to buy it no matter what the price.

• Reply Tina August 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I´ve never heard the name – maybe they are not sold in Sweden. I would hesitate a bit to buy linen that expensive, but if I suddenly won the lottery I wouldn´t mind getting a bit crazy..! :-D

• Reply Ijeoma August 13, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hi Holly, here’s the thing, I’ve never heard of them before. Stupid, I know. Anyway I think that nowadays luxury items are more accessible than ever before. Like you correctly said, just wait for the sales and you might get lucky enough to scoop a huge bargain. I for one believe in a little indulgence every now and a again, it’s good for the soul, and it’s definitely not just for the rich and famous.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Reply Brigitte August 13, 2010 at 6:37 pm

The patterns you pulled are very beautiful. I don’t think I could do it, though. I’d choose a vacation with my extra dollars any day. Or a sweet new bike.

• Reply Lana August 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Like you, my parents didn’t buy luxury items, but these linens sound heavenly. I sure wouldn’t turn them down if they were gifted to me! :)

• Reply Emily August 13, 2010 at 7:05 pm

The timing of this is sort of funny, because I was just thinking as I was walking to work this morning that maybe I need to do a little something for myself. I buy cheap shampoo, don’t wear much makeup, don’t have any particularly expensive habits (well, ok, photography…)…I thought about maybe buying myself some fancy jeans. And now I’m sort of debating it – it might feel fun to splurge, but handing over the credit card for those $200 babies may or may not hold the same excitement as finding them 75% off somewhere…

If money was no object, it might be different, but I think I’d rather spend the hundreds of dollars on a nice hotel room (maybe even with these linens?) and then use the rest of the money to see the city where the hotel’s located. Then you get memories and luxury all in one.

• Reply Ashleigh Clark August 13, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I cannot tell you how many times I have picked up a set of luxury linens to buy and set them back down. There is nothing better then nice linens and one day I will make it to the register!

• Reply Susan August 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I dream of owning their linens…;)

• Reply meg August 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm

oh, how i would love to indulge in such fabulous-ness! only in my dreams. the reality would be a scary credit card statement and cat hair all over fancy linens. : p

i remember rita konig’s bed outfitted in the gorgeous sheets with little pink hearts (in domino) and have been in love ever since.

• Reply Kimberly Cohen August 13, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I once spent approx. $130 on a Missoni beach towel, and I’ve never regretted it. I love rolling it out on the beach or in the park, and the pattern and colors make me feel happy every time I use it…

• Reply Nat August 13, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I’m not sure I’m at a place right now where paying that much for anything is on the do-to list (I’m in my mid twenties). But after the house is renovated and baby is in school, I could definitely see myself bringing luxury items into my home. After all, it is not the quantity, but quality that counts. I try to keep this in mind right now as I prepare to renovate and furnish my home. Less is more :)

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski August 13, 2010 at 10:24 pm

We have Christian Fischbacher bath towels and bathrobes – we bought them at their factory outlet store – and it is such a nice quality plus it is all swissmade. My bathrobe has a similar flower pattern than the Demoiselle towel of D.Porthault – very sweet but just the right start for a bright morning. Another luxury brand I wear (again factory outlet) is underwear by Hanro, a mixture of silk and merino wool and it is such a nice wearing comfort…Those bathrobes and undershirts are always a pleasure to wear, but if it weren`t for the outlet shop I really would have to think twice or three times before buying…

• Reply anjuli August 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm

haha, i have no money for luxury goods, but i am a secret admirer of vera wang and luxurious leather bags. i don’t think i’ll be owning any of that any time soon. but i can still look, right?

• Reply Annette August 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Very nice and extremely good quality, I’m sure, but not exactly my style. My favourite are stripey or plain bed linen from Hamburg-based Stoffkontor.

• Reply kelly August 14, 2010 at 1:30 am

Just seeing this post put a smile on my face!! I adore Porthault, I do own a couple sets (which I bought on sale – they have amazing sales fyi!!) and they truly are the most luxurious linens ever!! Porthault makes me happy, all their patterns are so cute and cherry! I will be a customer for life!
    J’adore!!

• Reply Pixie August 14, 2010 at 2:48 am

I don’t really (well, except for the odd pair of Marc Jacobs shoes, snatched off the sales rack at Century 21) but I dream of lux items. However, I really think I’d be afraid to USE those sheets. What if I didn’t clean my face as good as I should and I get mascara on the pillowcases. See, not sure I could do it. lol

• Reply Yelena August 14, 2010 at 8:07 am

By a coincidence I am just finishing reading the C’est la Vie by Suzy Gershman (Born to Shop Lady. In it she describes her relocation to France (Paris), so in one of the chapters there’s a story of her trip to factory outlets (including the D. Porthault) to buy luxury linens for her first apartment in Paris. That’s how I got to know the brand :) I guess, if I ever in Paris and have time to go to these outlets, certainly I’d purchase a set or a bath towel, but for now I am just happy to see the lovely patterns in your post.

• Reply Rita August 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm

My first set of Porthault was given to me by my mother, we went to the store in Paris and I chose the green hearts. She bought me the pillowcases and a blanket cover. You don’t have to start with the whole set, especially with luxury. Since then I have bought more Porthault, I love it, and I have always bought it in this way – a bit at a time. It is still hideously expensive but I have wasted more money in Top Shop than I have on these linens.

• Reply Kat August 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm

The designs are beautiful Holly
    I couldnt imagine spending that much on bedding though! I do believe in getting natural material over synthetic, so if that’s a bit more I’d always seek to spend it. The same with organic, it’s worth the extra.
    Luxury wise I try to purchase the best skincare I can because it’s an investment to care for your skin.
    Love Kat x

• Reply Lauren August 15, 2010 at 2:40 am

I do love the patterns, but don’t see myself ever buying luxury goods. The styles I admire are unique, quirky, high-quality goods, but spending that kind of money seems a little too easy and seems to sort of take the fun out of finding things in unique places and creating a fabulous look yourself. I’m a firm believer that patience and creativity can do a lot more than throwing money at something.

• Reply Lacy August 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Ha! I just spent $118 on a new set of organic cotton sheets (and that was the warehouse sale price) and nearly swooned when the guy told me my total! I do love nice things, but I guess my definition of “nice” is still a little below the $200/towel range!

• Reply Meg Burns Dolson August 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm

At this point in my life, buying luxury items is not a possibility. Definitely not in the five-year-plan. Hopefully in the 6+!! When I do get to the point that its a possibility, I don’t see myself going overboard. I think it would be nice to have a few items, that I save up for and purchase for a special occasion…that have sentimental value and stories attached.

Check out the Porthault hooded baby towel. I think this would be such a nice gift to your own baby. It would definitely get lots of use, especially when it becomes a hand-me-down for babies 2 or 3.

• Reply Mindi August 16, 2010 at 1:04 am

OMG DIVINE!!! I buy myself or my home a luxury item every now and then, but its always something small like an expensive candle or bamboo room diffuser. I think cheap scents smell like bathroom air freshener so I allow myself that little bit of luxury to get the best, as I think if the room smells expensive then thats a start, right?

• Reply Jes August 16, 2010 at 11:22 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I thought I knew high-end brands, but I wasn’t aware of this. It would have to be a gift, since even if I was a gazillionaire, I couldn’t justify it in my heart of hearts. *sigh*

• Reply Andie Smith August 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

WOW!

• Reply Jul September 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hi there,
    Not that I am a billionaire but as I just read before, we spend enough time in our bed to know that it is important to take care of the sheets we use. Lucky me, I tried Porthault sheets once and I knew these sheets will be mine one day… But Please, do not think that Porthault sheets are so expensive… because if you compare to any luxurious company, Porthault are definitively the best quality than any others for sometime the same prices. Lucky me once again, I did not have to put money in a bag or shoes so YES, Porthault Porthault Porthault!! Telling that, it is time to go to bed :)
    So look at them and… follow me ;)

• Reply Gary November 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

I bought my first set of D Porthault sheets last week! They are to die for! I will get another set soon. The sewing is perfect small tiny stitches not a flaw to be found. You spends a lot of time under the sheets so buy what you can afford or at least buy a set of Porthault and enjoy life is too short….It is only money you can’t take it with you!!!!!!!!!

• Reply Stacy March 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hi Holly,
    I am loving following your adventures in motherhood. Your son’s room came out beautifully.

I was researching Porthault in preparing some eBay postings and remembered your post above. If you still are interested, please check the US eBay site for recent Porthault listings!