Wallpaper Cabinet by Shannon Fricke

August 23, 2010

Anyone who reads this blog knows that I have a giant girl crush on author/tv presenter/blogger/teacher/stylist/decorator/columist/and a million other amazing hats Shannon Fricke in Australia. I’ve been a fan of her work for a few years now and follow her blog religiously because she is such a breath of fresh, unpretentious air! You don’t always find that with multi-talented people, but with Shannon you do. She’s not only one of the best when it comes to style and decoration, but as a person this lady is a top notch class act. That’s why I not only want to point you over to her work today for a little inspiration but I have to show you this gorgeous cabinet that she recently did up for a spread she produced for a magazine.

Wallpaper Cabinet by Shannon Fricke

Is this not the best idea for an old cabinet? Paint it white and wallpaper the heck out of it? Love. This. Don’t you want to grab rolls of Florence Broadhurst and Cole & Son papers this very second and go a little crazy with it? Even if you don’t have a freestanding cabinet like this one, you can do something like it to the interior of any closet, or even a china cabinet or bookcase. Knock yourself out, Shannon did and look at the results.

Wallpaper Cabinet by Shannon Fricke

Wallpaper Cabinet by Shannon Fricke

I love seeing these gorgeous green and yellow tones together — so fresh and so signature Shannon Fricke as she is a great lover of greens, blues and yellows as you can see in the other lovely photos that I’ve included from her design portfolio and home.

Thank you for the inspiration today Shannon!

(image: via the women’s weekly/shannon fricke)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski August 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Yes, it is a brilliant idea to decorate an old cabinet with beautiful wall-paper (and it is such a nice celebration for patterned wall-paper). I love the armchairs in picture number 5 with their colourful flowers growing the whole way around…

• Reply Eric August 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Green, cream, and yellow are all the rage right now. What a great color palate!

• Reply Ashly August 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I love this idea. She made something plain come back to life again!

• Reply Stephanie August 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm

so pretty as always! I love the wallpaper inside the wardrobe on the first image.

• Reply Jaimie August 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

So beautiful!

• Reply Lisa August 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Just wanted to say, “Thanks, Holly.” Every time I drop by your blog I stumble upon a gem – whether it’s an e-course or eye candy or inspiration or whatever. I love what you do, and you’ve certainly made a positive impact on my life.

BTW – I’ve book marked Shannon Fricke’s blog. I expect to be doing some heavy duty perusing…

• Reply Samantha August 23, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I have been reading her blog over the weekend, and just ordered one of her books, i already have sense of stly space.

• Reply tracy August 23, 2010 at 6:47 pm

gosh, they are lovely, but $350/roll! who can afford that?

• Reply Camberley, The Bella Life August 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I love how you can take any old piece of furniture, add paint, wallpaper and voila! You have a one of a kind piece of furniture. (This is especially nice for people who are on a tight budget – like myself).

One of the things that stood out to me was the freestanding tree she has in her dining room. Any idea how she installed it so that looks freestanding?

• Reply Nuit August 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

that cabinet is genius!!! I really love her she is amazing.

• Reply fresh365 August 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Wow, you are right that cabinet is amazing!

• Reply La Belle Vie August 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Wow!! That is Gorgeous!! I am definitely tucking that idea away in for a future project idea!

• Reply Sally@DivineDistractions August 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

How very clever! That’s an idea worth using if I’ve ever seen one. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Susie M August 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm

The cabinet is colorful, fun and beautiful in appearance. I love the way she uses color and patterns in her designs. I have also started following Shannon Fricke.

• Reply Casa e Cose August 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm

wow that is just so nice! I love that cabinet and all the designs. wish i could use wallpaper in my apartment but its rented….hmmmm have to find an ol’cabinet then :)

• Reply Jacilyn August 24, 2010 at 12:09 am

That cabinet is so gosh darn dreamy!

And the yellow, green and blues, that is what my house it currently but most of the color is on my walls. These photos are exactly what changes I would like to make, putting the color in the furniture and pillows and white on the walls. I’ll have to pour over these photos some more!

• Reply Béa August 24, 2010 at 12:20 am

scrumptious!!!! love the light green too…..
    thanks for sharing

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang August 24, 2010 at 3:28 am

The cabinet is just awesome! Love it!

• Reply Deb August 24, 2010 at 3:46 am

I am loving wallpaper lately. This is great if you can’t commit!

• Reply samantha hahn August 24, 2010 at 3:58 am

• Reply Meg Burns Dolson August 24, 2010 at 4:52 am

LOVE THE WARDROBE!! My mother-in-law has a lot of antiques that she’s hoping to pass down….I’m definitely looking forward to that a little bit more after seeing the cabinet! I also have three antique trunks which could use a bit of sprucing up–this post will totally be bookmarked!! THANKS :)

• Reply monica of hola!design August 24, 2010 at 5:53 am

that’s a great idea! wallpaper makes everything prettier.

• Reply jessica August 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hooray for Aussie creatives! We love Shannon over here in the land of Oz, so great to see her featured on your blog (again!).

• Reply meg August 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

That cupboard with the wallpaper inside is PURE GENIUS. That idea makes half the furniture at the Salvation Army shop look way more attractive ! :-)

• Reply lady a. August 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Fantastic, so much nicer than “plain” inside of the cabinet.

• Reply just a girl August 24, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I love them ALL. So pretty and so nice to look at on a stressful day! thanks.

• Reply belinda August 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm

i often imagine myself moving into shannon’s home – it’s perfect. and this project is right up my alley – i use a lot of wallpaper everywhere BUT on the walls!! x

• Reply Jennifer August 26, 2010 at 2:21 am

There are so many projects you can do with leftover wallpaper. Covering the back of a cupboard is just one. You can make inserts for picture frames, paste it on the back of a bookcase, cover an ugly bureau or other furniture. Cut out rectangles and use them in vintage picture frames. You can find great ones at tag sales. Update the frames with a little paint, or decoupage the wallpaper right onto the frame.

• Reply simone leblanc September 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

fantastic! You have got my head brewing up a storm with all sorts of ideas!

• Reply mer September 11, 2010 at 6:00 am

That Shannon. Everything she touches turns to gold.

• Reply Jen September 14, 2010 at 7:30 am

Love that wardrobe!

• Reply Kate March 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I absolutely love this! I was so inspired, I decided to give this a try with wrapping paper (since $350/roll of wallpaper is out of my budget) check it out: