Illustrator Alice Melvin

I’m delighted to share the work of English illustrator Alice Melvin today. Alice grew up in northeast England but today calls Edinburgh, Scotland her home – a place I long to travel to since Scotland has long fascinated me. Her work is inspired by a love of creatures both on land and in the sky along with text and pattern and everyday objects like teacups. How nice.

Alice Melvin

Alice adores paper and the process of screen printing images by hand which is still an integral part of her work — in fact the entire production process is her “thing” and so she produces lots of her own work from start to finish. She even makes fantastic cut-out kits and sells them in her online shop. I’m guessing that Alice is trying to promote the process of making through such kits, it only makes sense that she wants to share the act of creating something by hand with her adoring fans. There is so much joy that comes from making something with your own two hands and the best thing about crafting something is that your self confidence grows the more you practice and produce. In addition to her online store, Alice also sells her work in shops like Plaisir, where I originally learned about Alice.

Alice Melvin

Aren’t these bird stamps wonderful? I want to order some to stick on journals and cards.

“Her first book An A to Z Treasure Hunt was published by Tate in 2007 and was an interactive alphabet book for children. Since then she has worked with the Tate on a second children’s title, Counting Birds, and two children’s merchandise ranges. Alice continues working with a range of clients as well as developing her own products and prints. Her hand printed artists’ books are held in private and public collections including: British Library, Tate, and Centre for Fine Print Research at University West of England Bristol.”

I hope you have enjoyed examining Alice’s portfolio with me for a moment — you can see lots more on her gorgeous website.

(images: alice melvin)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on August 27, 2010

1. Stratos Bacalis commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 12:38pm

I wish you had posted this before my trip to Edinburgh!
    Stratos Bacalis´s last blog post ..24th World Congress of the International Union of Architects- Tokyo 2011

2. Tina commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 1:35pm

This is wonderful, love the colors and the illustrations! Will jump to her online store and take a look! :-)
    Tina´s last blog post ..No point in denying it

3. laura trevey commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 2:03pm

Lovely teapots and birds…
    Thanks for sharing these!

Happy Friday too!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Bright Bold and Beautiful- Flourish Design and Style

4. Sarah Fox commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 2:21pm

Thanks for introducing me to a new Scottish Artist. I love Alice’s work, and I especially love Plaisir. I grew up in the small village next door to where this shop is when we moved from the states, and I am so envious that they have a shop like that now. Nothing much more than a fish and chip shop, newsagent and gas station when I loved there…

5. Andreia commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Beautiful illustrations! I love the shoes and the tea-pots!

6. Shones commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 3:03pm

The cat in the window with the birds on the roof is my fave.
    Shones´s last blog post ..New Natural BSS in Fuquay Varina

7. gina commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 3:50pm

her work is beautiful; i love those teapots/ watering buckets :)

have a great weekend

8. Jacilyn commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 4:22pm

I’m in love! That illustration with the lamp turned on in a darkened room is so fabulous and those bird stamps….to die for. Off to look at more of her stuff. yay!
    Jacilyn´s last blog post ..under construction

9. Justina Blakeney commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 6:12pm

If only all stamps could be so lovely! Those birds are beyond! Love the mix of the fine lines with the bold flat colors.
    Justina Blakeney´s last blog post ..Happy Friday! Free Printable stationary &amp Matching Envelope!

10. Linda commented
    August 27th, 2010 at 7:41pm

I love all her delicate attention to details and use of color.
    She captures a real warmth and sincerity in her work. Beautiful!

11. Clare commented
    August 28th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Thanks for the lovely mention of Plaisir! We were delighted when we discovered Alice – her work is marvellous and our customers love her kits, cards and owl bags just as much as we do.

12. Anna commented
    August 28th, 2010 at 8:06pm

What an awesome retro feel with the colors and shapes! Very cool.
    Anna´s last blog post ..Welcome To The New Site

13. Diana commented
    August 29th, 2010 at 7:13pm

Wow, thanks for sharing…I love her work. Always a pleasure to stop by.
    Diana´s last blog post ..Sneak Peek Friday

14. Evie Zaccardelli commented
    August 29th, 2010 at 8:18pm

Wonderful illstrations – and the make yourself is an inspired idea.

Alice, if you read this – I’m in Edinburgh too!!
    Evie Zaccardelli´s last blog post ..Ive done it!

15. Alice Melvin commented
    August 30th, 2010 at 12:27am

Many thanks for the review of my work – what a lovely surprise. Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you!

16. Rambles with Reese commented
    August 30th, 2010 at 4:56pm

These are absolutely lovely. I love this type of art process.

Thanks for the info about her.
    Rambles with Reese´s last blog post ..Inspirational Quote of the Day from Oprah

17. Bridgette at Picked Fresh Daily commented
    August 30th, 2010 at 6:52pm

Lovely work! The bird stamps are so pretty and I adore the teapots!
    Bridgette at Picked Fresh Daily´s last blog post ..Office Makeover – Small Space- Big Difference

18. Ruedevamp commented
    August 30th, 2010 at 7:46pm

so pretty! I am such a bird nerd
    Ruedevamp´s last blog post ..Do Fun Stuff!

19. picnipic commented
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:38pm

thanks for sharing… i love her work!

20. Monica Lee commented
    September 4th, 2010 at 3:12pm

Thanks so much for featuring illustrators on your blog. Sometimes we 2 dimensional artists appreciate a shout out in a 3 dimensional world!