Objects

Greg Hatton Handmade Furniture

September 9, 2010

I just heard about Australian furniture and landscape designer Greg Hatton because one of his photos popped up on the main page over at Pinterest.

Greg Hatton Handmade Furniture

Side note: I love seeing birch logs in fireplaces stacked, standing… it’s gorgeous. I keep thinking that I need to buy a “faux” fireplace so I have an excuse to display birch logs. :) But it needs to be vintage or something like this (though I’d need to tile it or paint it inside to give it a more authentic vibe). I digress…

Now back to the wonderful world of Greg Hatton. Once you start browsing his website, you may recognize his willow bench and birch headboard from Sibella Court’s recent book, Etcetera Etc. Greg also goes by Twiggy, a name that is not only very sweet I think but best describes his rustic furniture and lighting.
Greg Hatton Handmade Furniture

Greg Hatton Handmade Furniture

I know it’s just a close up of wood, but I had to include this picture – to me it’s just gorgeous. I’d love to tack this on my inspiration board. The texture is lovely – so simple and pure.

His work is very casual and free-spirited which, I think, best highlights the natural materials that he uses. I’ve shown just a tiny glimpse of his work, you can see more on his website or in his Flickr album maintained by his studio assistant, Leila. So inspiring!

(images: greg hatton)

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply Heidi September 9, 2010 at 4:48 pm

love love his stuff! and love Birch logs. I think it goes back to my childhood where we had a bunch of birch trees on the side of our property that my sisters used to play around. there is something peaceful about birch logs. sorry about the digression…so glad you featured Greg!
    :)Heidi

• Reply Trina September 9, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I love the rustic natural look paired with white. So gorgeous. That totally reminded me that I have some birch wood somewhere in the yard I need to bring inside.
    xo trina

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) September 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm

LOVE that blue chair~ too bad it’s probably not “kid friendly” :)

• Reply Dee September 9, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Anyone know where the blue chair is from? I love it.

• Reply Cynthia September 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Anyone know where the gray/orange rug in the first picture is from?

• Reply decor8 September 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Cynthia – I’m not sure, it’s lovely though!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang September 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Oh wow. The birch logs in the fireplace?! I have never seen those before.
    I love it!

• Reply Christine September 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I totally agree with you, I LOVE that birch photo the texture is incredible!

• Reply Blakley September 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I am with the others – blue chair? Where fore art thou found?

• Reply decor8 September 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’m guessing that gorgeous chair is just sticking it’s tongue out at all us saying “You can’t have me, MMMMM”. I have no clue where that chair is from
      but I’m seriously drooling too.

• Reply Cecilie September 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Thank you so much for the like to Car Möbel. I am Danish but currently living in Bonn and I am trying to redecorate to suit a need I have to simply our interior design. That is, however, easier said than done in Germany, as I struggle to find things I like. Would you consider a trip to Bonn in order to help out with decorating ideas ;o)

• Reply Cecilie September 9, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Thank you, Holly. I hope one day my decorating project comes together for me – at the moment it seems that I am struggling.

• Reply decor8 September 9, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Cecilie – Maybe I can come down and we can go shopping together. I would like that!

• Reply Cecilie September 9, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Holly, that would be amazing. Picking your brain on shops and possibly ideas for my home would be an honour. You would be more than welcome. If you are serious about it send me an email and let us make a plan.

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor September 10, 2010 at 1:58 am

Great!! Everything is so beautiful…

• Reply julie September 10, 2010 at 2:45 am

The blue Featherston chair has me weak at the knees Holly! I do love the log side tables as well.

For those wanting to know about the blue chair – it is by Australian designer Grant Featherston design, part of the Contour series of chairs designed in the 1950’s. I myself have two dining chairs from the contour series and they are my favourite thing in the world :)

Featherston chairs are currently manufactured under licence in Australia by Gordon Mather Industries, (http://www.gordonmatherindustries.com) and more recently replicas have been introduced onto the market which kind of makes me sad. The original chairs produced in the 50’s are very valuable and sought after these days. The chair above looks like a more modern version, considering the type of wood used for the legs.

I did a post a few weeks ago about my fantasy of finding a Featherston chair in a hard rubbish collection (dreaming!) and features a few more pictures of his designs, if you are interested you can find it here:

• Reply Mandi September 10, 2010 at 6:49 am

The chair is a Featherston contour chair (or replica). I might give my eye teeth for one, if presented the opportunity! Swoon.

• Reply janis - pinecone camp September 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I’ve always wanted a Featherston chair, and one day we will!
    That room is so calm and pretty, I would love to pop myself into right now.
    Greg Hatton, is a very talented guy. I’ve only recently discovered him myself.

• Reply Sara September 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Love it all!!

We have logs stacked vertically in our faux fireplace (it’s larger, so they are held together with some rustic twine)…only it’s driftwood from nearby Lake Erie in stead of birch logs. Love the birch, though-so gorgeous!

• Reply Molly September 11, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I love Gregs stuff and am dreaming of owing some of his pieces. It would be difficult to get them to my part of the world, so I will be dreaming for now. Thanks for writing about him!

I follow your blog and love it. I visit 3x a week and it always inspires me. Reading your thoughts on getting a fake fire place and making it look like a vintage one upsets me. I think you either find something original or you do without. Faking new objects to look old is never a good idea. It makes a home look like a Disney theme park! It looks fun and inviting okay from a distance but is tacky when you take a close look.

• Reply decor8 September 12, 2010 at 10:40 am

@Molly – Hi! So nice of you to comment. We all have our own unique style and taste and the way we decorate our home needs to be authentic no matter who (on the outside) likes it. Do you know what I mean? The important thing is whether or not my family, those who live in the home, like it. I don’t think reproductions make a home look like a Disney theme park — it’s all in how you mix things.

• Reply Leila Sanderson September 12, 2010 at 8:05 am

Hi Holly and Hi everyone! I’ve been a little behind on my blogging recently so I only just spotted this today! I’m so proud that you’ve featured Greg on your blog Holly – thank you so much and thank you all for your lovely comments. The Featherston chair has always been a talking point – unfortunately it dosnt belong to Greg or myself but I can tell you all its an original! Please feel free to drop by and say hello if anyone is ever in Melbourne – we love visitors! X

• Reply Erin October 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I’m also wondering where the gray/orange rug in the first picture is from? Love it!

• Reply John October 7, 2010 at 8:10 am

I am stunned! I am an editor of a furniture site yet I think this is one kills me. And the willow bench I think is very stylish, I would love to have something like that at my porch!

I enjoyed dropping by this blog. More power to everyone!

John

• Reply Mark June 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Great post!

• Reply Lisette Mensink January 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Love your posts!

• Reply Lisette Mensink January 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Love your site!

• Reply Mark October 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hey – just wanted to leave a message to say that I really like the furniture on your blog. Such a great range of diverse pieces.

Your blog is also really great! So much information!

Keep up the good work