Bedrooms: Pure + Simple

Hello and welcome to a new week on decor8! I am so glad that you’ve joined me because I have a lot of nice things to share with you this week! First on my list is this fun contest over at Norske Interior, you can vote for your favorite blogger bedroom. I voted for my favorite, now it’s your turn – you can vote here. I thought I’d include five of my favorites from their entries.

Relaxing Bedrooms
Livs Lyst

Relaxing Bedrooms
Hannes Dagbok

Relaxing Bedrooms
A tiny bit of heaven

Relaxing Bedrooms
Loppe Leah

Relaxing Bedrooms
Fryd + Design

These are all so simple and pure, aren’t they? As much as I love a well designed bedroom I find myself going back time and time again to the simple and pure bedrooms in my design files – the casual, laid back, somewhat neutral and very cozy spaces. Because I battle between thought out and carefully edited rooms and the carefree, romantic spaces I see, I am starting to develop for myself a happy medium and finding yet a new look for my future bedroom.

So often we think we can be boxed into certain looks but our tastes are constantly being influenced — always evolving — and lately I can see mine evolving faster than ever before! I feel like I’m seeing so much living here in Europe now that I’m able to take everything from my life in the states, combine it with what I love here and POOF! I’m eventually going to churn out a very authentic and personal decorating sense that will be much like the former Holly style with a twist. The twist coming from my new experiences living abroad. I’m really loving this process! I wonder if others who relocated to another part of the world went through something similar about a year after they arrived — noticing the “big merge” — everything from their past combining with everything in their present….

This year has been such a life changing experience for me and as I enter my second year abroad I can’t wait to see where I am in another year. For me, my vision just keeps getting clearer and clearer because trends and lifestyle experts don’t influence life so much so you start to tap in more to what YOU yourself love and not what those on the outside, in ads, on television, are telling you to love. There is also the language barrier. I was talking to a new artist friend in Amsterdam this summer when I visited her home and she admitted to not knowing Dutch yet (she is American) yet how she almost likes not knowing is because she is able to clearly see herself more without all of the influence from the outside. I can read a great deal of German, but so much is still fuzzy to me that in many ways I’m still experiencing this period when there is very little outside noise to influence me so I’m able to really hear my own voice and it’s really, really nice.

And so, these bedrooms inspired me today. I can’t wait to see how my new bedroom will look once I move soon. I wonder how this past year of my life spent abroad will shape my choices? It’s so interesting to see these changes — just when you think you know so much about yourself I guess you either have to have a child or move to another country because then you are suddenly asking yourself a million questions and thinking in so many new ways!

(images: linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in bedroom on September 13, 2010

1. Sarah Lynne commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 6:45pm

I love the simplicity of these rooms and all of the white! I agree, my style is constantly evolving, however, simple white interiors are my forever favorite!
    Sarah Lynne´s last blog post ..1-minute pillow makeover

2. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 6:53pm

These are all some adorable bedrooms! Pure perfection for sweet dreams! I can’t wait either to see how your new bedroom will look like (hopefully you’ll share pictures with us!). have a great week! xox
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Serbian Made- Lifestyle furniture by Marija Djordjevic

3. christine, just bella commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 7:03pm

I love the simplicity of these rooms too, so calm and peaceful. And I love the beadboard on the walls!

I can’t wait to see what you do with your new home!
    christine, just bella´s last blog post ..My House- all dressed up

4. Torrie @ a place to share... commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 7:03pm

Holly,

It’s strange how you can “feel” someone’s energy over a computer screen… someone that is in another country, far, far away.

…But today, I can *feel your energy and I am absolutely inspired by your words (about reducing the “noise” and tapping into YOURSELF and your own personal, inner style). I am getting there and it’s starting to become less fuzzy- and it feels GOOD:). {not in another country, but do have two kids!}

I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us this week!
    Torrie @ a place to share…´s last blog post ..Recipes- tried &amp true

5. tiffany commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 7:18pm

Holly, these are amazing!! That third on is my absolute fav — off now to vote!
    tiffany´s last blog post ..my random bits- aka- my balls!

6. laura trevey commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 7:22pm

All beautiful, light, and airy! Great inspiration ~~
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Monday Inspiration

7. Megan commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 7:37pm

I traveled to Morocco with my (now) husband last winter and let me tell you….my decorating and style tastes have never been the same since! It makes me wonder what traveling around the rest of the world would do to me! And I wouldn’t mind finding out! :)

8. STYLIZIMO commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 8:31pm

I was actually participating in this contest as well, but unfortunately my bedroom didn’t get to the finale. But that’s ok:) It’s just nice to see all the nice bedrooms and get inspired by them…

I have already voted for my favorite.

//Nina
    STYLIZIMO´s last blog post .. Stylish at Stylizimocom 4

9. Traveling Mama commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 8:52pm

I loved these rooms too! I absolutely agree with you about your tastes and styles being changed. Our family always laughs a little when we come back from a new place. They tell us that we don’t look American anymore and neither does our home. I thought living in Spain changed us radically, but moving to Morocco changed us even more. I look forward to seeing how Denmark will shape us, but I am also finding it easier to say “this is what I like.”
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..wallpaper on my mind

10. decor8 commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 9:19pm

@Traveling Mama – I’m so glad you commented, I was secretly hoping you’d chime in. By the way, I’m leaving for Marrakesh soon – October 15th!

11. Monica commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 9:50pm

Very pretty rooms! I noticed the pattern of white wood floors & walls, although I like the look not sure if I’d paint my hard-wood floors white. Love the bedding in all the pics.
    Monica´s last blog post ..Lady Gaga for Vogue Hommes Japan

12. amy commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 10:06pm

i really like what you say about: hearing your own voice. this has been one of the best things that has come out of working at home as a freelancer for me. so much more time for introspection which on the whole has been great. i love the rooms you’ve showed above and am excited to see your choices for your new space! i’m sure as always it’ll be really inspiring!
    amy´s last blog post ..Jamie Miller – Concept Work

13. decor8 commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 10:10pm

@Amy – It’s true, isn’t it? You are right, so true about freelancing as well. I never gave that much thought because I’m online so much as a freelancing “listening” to thousands of people so I don’t always feel that mental space — which is why i value living somewhere like here where I can unplug, go outside, and not “hear” a single thing. It’s lovely.

14. Lisa Bower commented
    September 14th, 2010 at 2:22am

Great post and I completely understand finding your own “way” in design. How fortunate for you to develop your own style without other influences. After all, you are the one who has to live in the space, therefore it should be yours completely. I hope this next year will continue to open new doors and insights for you!
    Lisa Bower´s last blog post ..Stationary London Shade

15. monique commented
    September 14th, 2010 at 3:43am

I, too, have recently been noticing that my style preferencing have slowly changing and evolving…at first, I found myself trying to fight to change, but I am embrace it ..your home should always be comfortable and feel lived it.
    monique´s last blog post ..The Great Wallpaper Search

16. Andreia commented
    September 14th, 2010 at 10:59am

Beautiful curtain the one of the fourth photo.

17. viv commented
    September 14th, 2010 at 5:09pm

I love simple white rooms, it gives you such a relaxing feeling!
    viv´s last blog post ..Vikram The Friendly Dinosaur Plush

18. Seema commented
    September 15th, 2010 at 6:09am

All the bedrooms are so pure and inspiring ! I could not stop myself writing to you. White has been my all time favorite.
    Good luck with your new ventures and have a fun trip to Marrakesh.
    It would be a great cultural experience.