Trends: Layering Patterns On Furniture

September 15, 2010

I feel so inspired today thanks to my friend who just completed a trend forecast for her client and I had the honor of seeing it a few moments ago. It was this collection of beautiful and super creative mood boards, so now I feel like I’m flying! It is so important as a creative person to have a few others in your immediate circle who are also creative because on days when you feel drained, their energy can really pick you up and she certainly did this for me today.

Trends: Layering Patterns On Furniture

Speaking of trends, I’ve been noticing something more and more when it comes to furniture — fabric layering. I came across this new collection from Moroso called Sushi and I think it’s inspiring to see the mix of color and pattern. This collection, designed by Edward Van Vliet, is described as a, “sophisticated wrapping concept inspired by universal layers, found also in nature and architecture… each layer distinguished by a different sort of upholstery.”

Trends: Layering Patterns On Furniture

I love sofas with different layers and I’m guessing this is all an extension of the patchwork pattern trend and we’ll only see more and more sofas and chairs with various layers of pattern and color because it is one way in which the customer can personalize their design a bit, isn’t it? Why buy the standard beige sofa when you can buy one that you had a hand in designing… For instance, I’m currently loving the idea of a sofa with a solid back and base but with patterned seat cushions. Tricia Guild does this so well and I love it and want to be able to afford some of her furniture someday because I think her upholstery is to die for, never mind when mixed and matched so beautifully and lavishly layered onto a sofa or chair.

When I was in London in one of her shops, I found a gorgeous sofa called festival that had a mix of fabrics on it and I couldn’t believe a sofa could be so beautiful! It was definitely a show stopper. I would do almost anything to own a Designers Guild sofa — Orbit and Hayward are my favorites.

Delish! What do you think of this layering trend? Would you try it?

(images: moroso and designers guild)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ani September 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

There is so much inspiration from you today, Holly! Just what I needed because I’m fixing up my house a bit. Though I can’t go out and buy new stuff, there are a lot of little touches here and in the last few posts to get ideas from. Thank you!

• Reply Shay September 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I love the layering trend, it is a great way to update old worn out cushions without re-upolstering the entire sofa.It also adds so much personality to furniture that would otherwise be a bit dull.

• Reply Ijeoma September 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

A very beautiful post. Lucky we have you to perk us up when we feel drained :)

• Reply oisive September 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Just love all of these pictures, it’s so cute ! but I don’t think my husband will appreciate flowers ;-)

• Reply Shelley September 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Funny, we did that in 1995. Now the couch wears a slipcover because we got sick of it and felt limited decorating the rest of the room. Next couch will be neutral so I can change the color scheme with pillows whenever I want.

• Reply decor8 September 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm

@Shelley – It’s funny how trends just keep coming and going isn’t it!?

• Reply Ludmila {} September 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm

The pictures are gorgeous! I’d definitely try layering patterns, it can make the room look so fun and comfy!

• Reply Nuit September 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

WOW its so pretty!!!!! I remember when it was popular a few years back. I love these images i really want to move in there… but still, i probably would not use this trend at my house… cant put my finger on it. xo

• Reply Iris September 15, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I like the concept, it reminds me of Hella Jongerius’ Polder Sofa for Vitra.

• Reply Megan {Honey We're Home} September 15, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I have never seen that before. Very cool. I have the basic beige sofa so I can change out pillows, throws, and decor colors in the living room. But I am commitment-phobe when it comes to decorating- I’m slowly trying to change that. Have some fun I say!

• Reply Violet September 16, 2010 at 12:35 am

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love the purple/aqua scheme. (Of course, right?) This photo was actually taken in my living room… haha =P

• Reply hena tayeb September 16, 2010 at 9:09 pm

i don’t know.. not really big on two many patterns. I prefer things more streamlined.. it makes everything look clean

• Reply Keighley@TheBellaLifeBlog September 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Excuse me but where the first images mini pieces of furniture? I love anything that can be called “mini”. So cute.

I actually like layered textiles however for my own house it would have to be in very small doses. Maybe one or two pieces total. My mind cant handle all the color and different patterns.

• Reply Melissa Buchanan September 17, 2010 at 3:45 am

I love those purple and white boxy looking couch chairs in the last picture. (Couch chairs? Is that a term, or did I just make it one, haha!!)
    I don’t know how comfortable they’d be, but they look amazing!

• Reply thebubbreport September 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm

My new fave is the Jean Paul Gaultier Mah Jong Couture modular sofa at roche bobois

• Reply eDecor October 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm

In South Africa there is a company by the name of casemento that produces some awesome work in this field…

• Reply Guy@JustInteriors May 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Its about time two-toned, straight-edged rooms were phased out, minimalism just isn’t homely for me. Designers guild have an eye for patterns and shapes that really mesh. They’ve created busy, energetic spaces that are just bursting at the seams with style whilst looked comfortable and livable at the same time.

• Reply Sarah June 22, 2011 at 2:37 am

I adore this section on layering! It works perfect for kid’s rooms because it gives the room a playful, comforting feeling. It kind of reminds me of the way my 4 year old daughter dresses herself, lol.

• Reply Vera November 13, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love this! Quilting is one of my favourite things, and bringing that concept into upholstery (especially in the fun patterns/colours pictured) is something I would definitely love in my home!