Shopping + Products

DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Home

September 16, 2010

This is such a gorgeous autumn color palette! DAY Birger et Mikkelsen is a Danish label known for their amazing fashion but did you know that they also have a well-curated collection of goods for the home? Their current campaign is called Quirky Autumn and I just love it with the smokey shades of blue, gray…. vintage charm, extremely tactile, a few classic designs from the 60s, some ethnic “raw” pieces made of wood, silhouette art work, embroidery, lots of handmade charm — we all are so drawn to these things because they feel so real and in some ways connect us back to our childhood…

DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Home

DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Home

DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Home

This is definitely a look/palette that many designers are gravitating towards right now — Sibella Court, TineK Home, House Doctor, DAY Birger et Mikkelsen, West Elm, Anthropologie, etc. The mix of high and low, old and new is currently popular but I believe that it has real staying power — like denim jeans — in the sense that you can see a living room in these colors, in this style, in 5 years and it would still be just as lovely and cozy and not at all appear dated or, “Sooooo 2010” as I imagine some current trends will look and feel years from now. Like denim, this look is clean, natural, casual and lasting since it is a mix of periods, cultures, and mostly neutral tones which you really can never go wrong with.

What do you think of these colors, textures and combinations?

(images: DAY Birger et Mikkelsen)

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

• Reply Justina September 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm

it is gorgeous indeed..smokey and cold colours-fabulous:)
    have a nice day

• Reply juliette September 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

our LR curtains are that deep blue color; I love it!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas September 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I get the same feeling of happy coziness from these images as I do when browsing through the Anthropologie catalogues (or when I am lucky enough to visit a store in person). As you note, this Danish label is really charming!

• Reply Kira September 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Wow I think this is gorgeous. I’m surprised, me being Danish, that I had no idea that they do Home too! I can’t wait to check out their stuff in real life!

• Reply Christina September 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Love it!
    it’s the grays, blues and smokiness…
    it’s fallish… cozy up time… taking things a step slower.

• Reply Sort of Pink September 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I really love this color palette! Danish brands like TineK Home and DAY Birger et Mikkelsen combine stylish and cozy so well.

• Reply Becky D @ KingsDownRoad September 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Mmmmm – beautiful!! LOVE the colors.

• Reply Sarah@Mocha September 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I really love the use of grey in interiors. Trendy yet timeless, cool but warm all at the same time.

• Reply Bobbi September 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Oh I think you’ve helped me decide not to paint my studio walls; they are already that blue color and I’ve been struggling with what to do with that room. I like this color palette and think I could make it work in there. Thanks!

• Reply Cecilie September 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I might be biased since I am Danish but I love DAY Birger et Mikkelsen’s line – it has a strong and clean feel. Very much a modern Danish design aesthetic and I’d love to live in rooms like these.

• Reply Jennifer September 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I love this color combo. I actually used these to decorate my home a few years ago, so I am pleased to see them being used more often. It is easier to find accessories now that the colors are more popular!

• Reply Trina : la la Lovely September 17, 2010 at 4:19 am

I am adoring this combination and I am with you I love the idea of a trend lasting. A new kind of timeless.
    xo Trina