Florian Pucher Land Rugs

September 30, 2010

I love throw rugs so when I read about Florian Pucher and his Land Rugs over on the Livingetc blog this morning my eyes popped wide open and my jaw dropped. These are so awesome! A little too bright for my taste, but the concept is amazing and I’d love to have one in more understated hues. But even still, these are fabulous.

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

Pucher was born in Vienna where he studied architecture and then went on to practice in Shanghai. Next, he decided to try something new and is now designing products alongside partner Sophia Liu Bo. His designs range from tableware to jewelry, sofas and everything in between — including these gorgeous hand-tufted 100% New Zealand wool Land Rugs which won the Elle Decoration International Design Award in 2009 for best floor covering.

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

Florian Pucher Land Rugs

I love these country-cool aerial views of the countryside of America, Europe and Africa. Very fresh!

(images: florian pucher)

You Might Also Like

• Reply peggy September 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm

oh, I could imagine them in a kids room… colourful but not kitsch (and no pink or baby blue haha)…
    Plus nearly every kid has a battery of Schleich animals… that would be the perfect item to play with them!

• Reply Michelle September 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

How fun for a farm-themed children’s room!

• Reply Marie@etincellestudio September 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Fabulous is the right word. Such a smart idea that one wonder why it hasn’t been done before. Lovely, I am wondering if they are made in China or in countries such as Iran etc… I am off to check it out :)

• Reply Marie@etincellestudio September 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Back from the website of F. Pucher… the rugs are made in China and it seems quite easy to order one. I don’t find them that expensive either (except maybe “Netherlands”@ 2,100US$). Or is it expensive?
    Anyway my favorite one is “Europe”….

• Reply Monica Lee September 30, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow, I spent 20 years as a flight attendant looking out of an airplane window and they made my view into a rug.!!! Really, that is just what the ground looks like! (the cows are smaller though…)

• Reply Eliana (argentina) September 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm

wow, it’s amazing!!! .. beautiful color palettes and structure.

• Reply Thea S September 30, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Wow. I love these! Such a simple but original idea.

• Reply hena tayeb September 30, 2010 at 5:30 pm

an interesting idea..

• Reply Cecilie September 30, 2010 at 8:07 pm

These rugs are STUNNING! I’d love to have Europe under foot.

• Reply Ashley • Fine Day Press September 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm

That is the coolest rug concept ever!! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply FlightyNaty September 30, 2010 at 8:46 pm

So funny idea with cows on the rugs :)

• Reply small September 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Land rugs! How perfect and beautiful!

• Reply Gwen September 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm

How fun! My brother and I always divvied up farm animals or matchbox cars and layed out books on the floor to create a patchwork of neighborhoods & fields. We would have loved these!

• Reply Stacey October 1, 2010 at 12:33 am

How awesome! Forget putting this in a children’s room – I’d put it in my living room! (Right below my ABC posters. So maybe that says something about my design style :) I guess I’m just into the whimsy of children’s design!)

Those rugs kind of remind me of the board game Settlers of Catan, where you place interlocking fields next to each other.

• Reply Susan October 2, 2010 at 4:24 am

These rugs are so fun. They would be perfect for a child’s playroom. You have to love those cows.

• Reply Corey October 2, 2010 at 12:51 pm

These are fantastic. Most unique design for a floor that I have seen in a long time!

• Reply thebubbreport October 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Those are genius! They remind me of flying over the middle of the USA!

• Reply Karine Ardault October 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I have seen these rugs a couple of times already and indeed they look great. I agree they could be so fun in a child’s room.
    i like that there are land carpets for different areas of the world. My two favorites are the Europe and Africa ones.

• Reply Kaho October 4, 2010 at 1:57 am

How unique and interesting!! The rugs sort of remind me of fields in Bali, too. I have seen pictures of Bali with step fields and the pattern on the rugs make me think of them.

• Reply Calla October 6, 2010 at 3:01 am

Fantastic to come across a professional approach to what we, who were first setting up house in the ’70s, tried to create from carpet samples. We spent days cutting and glueing pieces onto sail canvas according to colour and hue, a version of the old style patchwork quilts….great. I love your work.

• Reply das. November 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

Wow..this is soo nice. The colors are great too.