Cosima Sempill Ceramics

Good morning and happy new week to you! A new week means new possibilities, which is always exciting as you never know what good things can happen between now and Friday. Sounds a bit chipper, I know, but it’s how I handle Mondays because I am the girl who could easily live in a never ending weekend! Thinking positively gets me through — I believe that if you smile and think positive, then good things seem to find you. Take for instance this good thing: Ceramicist Cosima Sempill who lives and works in Edinburgh, Scotland. Cosima comes from a creative family and spent an early part of her childhood in South Africa, which no doubt influenced her work. Having creative surroundings and a supportive family can work wonders!

Cosima Sempill

After studying ceramics at the Glasgow School of Art, Cosima decided to live in Edinburgh and launch her business under the name Kitty & Dude. From quirky mugs to cupcakes, flying pigs, clip on birds and Russian nesting dolls that you can’t stack — she is not afraid to express herself through her work and as a result, has found success and joy in it though she is also quite flexible when it comes to what she does for a living (something I appreciate) because in her bio she says, “I love my job but if it doesn’t stick I’d love to be a stylist. My dream job would be working for Elle Decor- swoon. Also dream of eating mangoes and making pots in the sunshine, preferably the South African Sunshine.

I like that bio. It’s honest and something that I can closely relate to because I’ve had made “jobs” in my life and love to try new things though we all know society as a whole still seems to discourage it. Living a somewhat “career vagabond” lifestyle, as I call it, is the only way I know as I have a creative soul and can become bored easily if my life becomes too predicable. What about you? Can you relate?

If you’d like to learn more about Cosima then you can read a lovely interview on the Home Plus Scotland website right here. You can also purchase some of her things at Papa Stour online.

(images: cosima sempill and rosie brown)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on October 04, 2010

1. das. commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:01am

Her works are so dedicate…but i need a really elegant home to suit in with all these nice stuff..haha
    das.´s last blog post ..Carhartt – One

2. Ele commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:12am

Ha, “career vagabond”! I can absolutely relate- I work freelance, at everything from graphic design to food photography, writing and web editing, too. I’m also studying interior design part-time and thinking of starting a product-based business next year. So I absolutely dread the question of “So what do you do?” I get all flustered and I’m sure people think I’m either crazy or just very lazy, haha.

PS- How is the new flat?! I’ve been checking Haus Maus all weekend, so excited for you!
    Ele´s last blog post ..Two Colour Veg

3. Mariella commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:19am

I can definitely relate since I think I am a career vagabond myself and you’re right society seems to discourage it, but sometimes this the only way to find “yourself” and what you really love… anyway, I love her work!

4. Tina commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:21am

Ooooh, that is pretty – love it! Woudn´t mind a bird in my home… :-)
    Tina´s last blog post ..Giveaway!

5. Will commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:30am

Perfectly delicate pieces, Holly! I love that Cosima lives in Edinburgh – one of my favourite cities in the UK.

Have a fantastic week and enjoy the first week in the new place. xo
    Will´s last blog post ..10 Things I Learned This Weekend

6. manon commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:53am

j’aime beaucoup!

Manon

7. decor8 commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 12:18pm

@Mariella – SO TRUE!

8. Lisa Long commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 1:49pm

I absolutely love these, so different, delicate and subtle…and created in my home town too. Thank you for sharing Cosima’s work. I feel a purchase coming on :)

9. Simony @ Art and Life commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 3:07am

Career vagabond… Love that title! It’s sure me! My blog tells it all.
    I started with a degree in architecture, worked as an architect, art teacher, book illustrator, painter, glass blower, interior designer, architecture illustrator, jewelry maker and now I am all of them, one at a time and always ready to learn more and have satisfaction with new ways of art.

10. Abigail Percy@abigail*ryan commented
    October 26th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Oh, I totally missed this…

Cosima was my brothers flatmate for several years through art-school!! So I’m really pleased to see her doing so well :) We were at GSA at the same time! :)