Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

I really love online shop Papa Stour based in Scotland because everything looks so warm and cozy — what home should be, Gemütlichkeit. I’ve talked about this sweet spot on the web before but do you know much about the owner, stylist Rosie Brown?

Rosie Brown

I went exploring on her site this morning and found out that she now has a charming vacation home for rent in Scotland available through Wilderness Cottages, it is located in the North West Highlands of Scotland 8 miles from Applecross with fabulous views over to Skye, Raasay and Rona. Look at these views of it sent to me by Rosie’s office this morning (thanks, Sally!)… This blue bedroom is divine.

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown

Doesn’t this look like the perfect getaway? I’m longing to to go to Scotland and so is my husband so perhaps next year we will stay in Rosie’s postcard-like home. I love the idea of being tucked away in a secluded natural spot with only a few small local pubs or grocers and nothing else… It reminds me of Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire and all of the times that I spent in the mountains or countryside there with little around me, those times were always so relaxing and I would return home feeling quite refreshed.

Over the past several years, I’ve been spending vacations in cities which, honestly, never feel like a real vacation in the sense that there is little to no relaxation involved. It’s just rush, rush, rush from one big attraction to the next. Maybe I need to mix things up. A few city vacations and few near the shore or nestled away in the woods…. but it can’t always be about the hustle bustle (but gosh I love it so!).

Ha! And this is the same girl who is going to teach in Marrakesh this month (though this will be relaxing for the students because they’ll be doing a spa day, eating some amazing meals, dining rooftop, enjoying morning yoga — the works!) and who is flying to Istanbul in November with my friend Esra and then going to Paris in January to meet up with Nichole and Evan. I think the NEXT adventure after that needs to be either to the shore or to the countryside for a long weekend. Then again, my home is my haven and I get plenty of rest and joy at home so perhaps this is why I always select cities for travel destinations… But still, a weekend in Scotland in the middle of nowhere at Rosie’s cottage – sign me up!

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown, who is not only a shop owner but a talented Scottish designer and stylist, has a lovely online portfolio for browsing too – lots of her work has appeared in Livingetc magazine so you may recognize some of the tears above. It really puts one in the Autumn mood.

(images: papa stour)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on October 04, 2010

1. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 12:29pm

These rooms are fabulous! And the store looks pretty amazing! Holly, seems like you’ll have a lot of traveling in your near future! So much fun! xoxo
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Serbian Made- Dugmence

2. Brianna commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 12:32pm

this is breath-taking….
    to say the least.
    xoxo
    bB
    Brianna´s last blog post ..PRODUCTIVE

3. Ebru Goktan commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 1:00pm

Hi Holly, I just read you are coming to Istanbul in November! I would love to meet up and take you to lunch, dinner or some of my favorite places in Istanbul…and maybe by that time my blog will be up and running and you can pick your favorites from there :) Let me show you some Turkish hospitality…You already have my email and I am looking forward to your reply…Best, Ebru (your BYW student)

4. Abigail Percy commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 2:19pm

I stayed in that cottage back in 2006 and it was every bit as divine as it looks in the photos…

Now the whole world knows about it… damn!! ;)))) hehehe…

I honestly can’t wait to go back!!! If I can ever get booked! ;P
    xo
    Abigail Percy´s last blog post ..Draft Excluders Falling Leaves- Hot Pink and Teal – &pound3500

5. Laurie commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 2:31pm

Um, yes, I would SO like to stay there! Thanks for sharing. :) L
    Laurie´s last blog post ..succumbing to sterling silver

6. Gilly commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 2:41pm

Hi Holly – what a wonderful surprise on this Monday lunchtime to see the beautiful cottage in Applecross featured on your site. I am a lucky girl and have been to many countries in our world and seen some wonderful things but I do think that Applecross is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been to. The light and air there just seem to have a special magic to them. I hope you get to go!

This is my first time commenting on your site but I’ve followed your blog for ages and enjoy it so much – thanks for brightening up my workdays xx

7. ines commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Just wonderful. Want to fly right now and have a break. Too sad that there is no money with holiday written on it…

Thanks for sharing. ines

8. juliette commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 3:07pm

oh this is lovely, I’m def. checking out that cottage site. This past summer we saw lots of Scandinavian cities on our road trip and while it was a total blast, we also adored time at our friends’ cottage in rural Finland. We needed that break!

That said, we’re planning on doing a city vacation over Christmas ourselves, but would like to do a long UK/Ireland trip next summer to visit all the friends we have scattered about. A cottage in Scotland would be a great midway stopping point…. =)
    juliette´s last blog post ..Free online photo booth yes- really!

9. Valerie commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 3:14pm

Ah… this does look nice. I’d love to take at least one quiet, romantic, contemplative tucked-away vacation like this in my life.
    Valerie´s last blog post ..Razzle Dazzle Rose

10. Justine commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 3:59pm

Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful cottage! To me, this is the perfect example of how beautiful a home with structural imperfections can be! Thank you for sharing!

11. Beth commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Thank you for sharing this beautiful cottage. It looks like the perfect escape. I can tell it is just easier to breath there. : )

I am headed to Vermont this weekend and now I am even more excited to get out to the middle of nowhere and relax!

12. jordyn commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 4:49pm

oh holly, do get to scotland! it is just as breathtaking and serene as you would imagine. my husband’s scottish, so i get to indulge in visiting my in-laws in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

i’ve been following your blog for quite some time, but i do believe this is my first comment. your posts are like a breath of fresh air and i’ve loved reading along especially since your move; aled and i will be moving to scotland in a few years so it’s fun to read about your life as an expat.

xo

13. Jacilyn commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 5:02pm

Oh my gosh Holly! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I came across her little Scottish cottage a few months ago and then I lost the link and couldn’t remember how I found and whose it was. I was so mad at myself. And now here you are posting about it. I think it is destiny that I should be going to Scotland now…don’t you?

thanks again

Jacilyn
    Jacilyn´s last blog post ..practical magic- part three

14. Sarah, Pushpin Revolution commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 6:06pm

Such amazing photos! I love the mix of modern and natural elements.

15. Quatre Tsien commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 6:13pm

The rooms are fantastic, but I especially love the last picture of the home itself.. it’s idyllic.

16. Kelly commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 6:54pm

I think I suffer from similar vacation-planning tendencies. I always think I’m planning a really relaxing trip – but who am I kidding? Once I’m there, I don’t want to miss anything! And then it’s go-go-go! I love your idea of slipping away to the Scottish countryside. That might be just the thing! :-)
    Kelly´s last blog post ..Tea Towel Apron

17. Becky D @ KingsDownRoad commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 7:07pm

I feel more relaxed from just looking at those pictures!
    Becky D @ KingsDownRoad´s last blog post ..House Cravings

18. Frau Mayer commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 7:47pm

Oooh, you seem to be really attracted to fireplaces these days :)

19. Katherine commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 8:42pm

I haven’t stayed in the cottage but I have been to Applecross and it’s a fantastic place, good puddings at the pub by the sea!

20. Amy commented
    October 4th, 2010 at 11:36pm

Thank you for this lovely post, it made me day dream about long walks with my husband and coming back to this spot to drink tea.
    Amy´s last blog post ..Desert Magic

21. Julie commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 12:24am

Such amazing style with such a cozy feel. I couldn’t imagine a better place to go to immerse myself in crafting and creative projects and leave my daily worries behind.

22. deneise bucko commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 12:51am

What pretty and calm pictures!

23. PriscilaPetersDecor commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 1:44am

Pretty images!!

24. Rach commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 2:14am

Rural Scotland is amazing + quite like New Zealand.

25. Holly W commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 2:50am

What an amazing getaway spot! I’ve only been to the very south of Scotland (Hadrian’s wall). I would LOVE to explore more of the country. Thanks for sharing!
    Holly W´s last blog post ..CUTE LITTLE BASTARDS

26. sloane commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 5:00am

You have a wonderful sense of style. I always find something to completely swoon over when I visit your blog. :)

27. Casa e Cose commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 10:20am

Oh i cant beleive someone actaully lives there and that it actually looks like that inside! What a dream!!! And her shop is done with such great taste! Thank you for sharing this!
    Casa e Cose´s last blog post ..Your baby’s footprint forever…

28. Diana commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 2:42pm

That cottage is stunning!! I love all the little natural touches. My husband and I went to the UK this year for vacation and the West Highlands were, hands down, my absolute favorite part. Such a beautiful, inspiring part of the world.
    Diana´s last blog post ..A Slowing Down- A Noticing

29. Jennifer commented
    October 5th, 2010 at 7:46pm

Holly…you will absolutely love Scotland. I rented a beautiful cottage this past spring up in the Highlands and had the most amazing time.

I think that I may have posted before that you are my inspiration for moving abroad, for me its my dream to relocate to Scotland. So thank you for your post, it warmed my heart and put a smile on my face!

30. nichole commented
    October 6th, 2010 at 3:45am

We’re so excited about our January trip to Paris with you guys!

That said, I feel you on the hustle and bustle of city trips. Next summer we are hitting the French country. Can’t wait!

That cottage is perfection.
    nichole´s last blog post ..Fall Firsts

31. Cookie Cutter commented
    October 6th, 2010 at 4:22am

I thought the vacation home was charming and beautiful. Then I got to the picture of its surroundings. Oh my! It’s simply stunning!

32. jacqui commented
    October 6th, 2010 at 2:14pm

I love the modern twist on the candelabra!
    jacqui´s last blog post ..fancy footwear

33. Heather Bourgeois commented
    October 6th, 2010 at 2:52pm

I love that blue bedroom! I just want to cozy up with a book and read….so relaxing. I’m bookmarking that one!
    Heather Bourgeois´s last blog post ..Inspired by The Black Apple

34. Natalie commented
    October 9th, 2010 at 9:58am

The pale blue dining room and bedroom wall colour is heavenly – I would love to spend a weekend in a gorgeous house like Rosie’s, lounging around with the weekend newspapers and some freshly baked scones with jam!
    Natalie´s last blog post ..A blog inspiration moodboard