Shopping + Products

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

October 4, 2010

I really love online shop Papa Stour based in Scotland because everything looks so warm and cozy — what home should be, Gemütlichkeit. I’ve talked about this sweet spot on the web before but do you know much about the owner, stylist Rosie Brown?

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

I went exploring on her site this morning and found out that she now has a charming vacation home for rent in Scotland available through Wilderness Cottages, it is located in the North West Highlands of Scotland 8 miles from Applecross with fabulous views over to Skye, Raasay and Rona. Look at these views of it sent to me by Rosie’s office this morning (thanks, Sally!)… This blue bedroom is divine.

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Doesn’t this look like the perfect getaway? I’m longing to to go to Scotland and so is my husband so perhaps next year we will stay in Rosie’s postcard-like home. I love the idea of being tucked away in a secluded natural spot with only a few small local pubs or grocers and nothing else… It reminds me of Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire and all of the times that I spent in the mountains or countryside there with little around me, those times were always so relaxing and I would return home feeling quite refreshed.

Over the past several years, I’ve been spending vacations in cities which, honestly, never feel like a real vacation in the sense that there is little to no relaxation involved. It’s just rush, rush, rush from one big attraction to the next. Maybe I need to mix things up. A few city vacations and few near the shore or nestled away in the woods…. but it can’t always be about the hustle bustle (but gosh I love it so!).

Ha! And this is the same girl who is going to teach in Marrakesh this month (though this will be relaxing for the students because they’ll be doing a spa day, eating some amazing meals, dining rooftop, enjoying morning yoga — the works!) and who is flying to Istanbul in November with my friend Esra and then going to Paris in January to meet up with Nichole and Evan. I think the NEXT adventure after that needs to be either to the shore or to the countryside for a long weekend. Then again, my home is my haven and I get plenty of rest and joy at home so perhaps this is why I always select cities for travel destinations… But still, a weekend in Scotland in the middle of nowhere at Rosie’s cottage – sign me up!

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Papa Stour + Stylist Rosie Brown

Rosie Brown, who is not only a shop owner but a talented Scottish designer and stylist, has a lovely online portfolio for browsing too – lots of her work has appeared in Livingetc magazine so you may recognize some of the tears above. It really puts one in the Autumn mood.

(images: papa stour)

You Might Also Like

34 Comments

• Reply Ludmila {creamylife.com} October 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm

These rooms are fabulous! And the store looks pretty amazing! Holly, seems like you’ll have a lot of traveling in your near future! So much fun! xoxo

• Reply Brianna October 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm

this is breath-taking….
    to say the least.
    xoxo
    bB

• Reply Ebru Goktan October 4, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Hi Holly, I just read you are coming to Istanbul in November! I would love to meet up and take you to lunch, dinner or some of my favorite places in Istanbul…and maybe by that time my blog will be up and running and you can pick your favorites from there :) Let me show you some Turkish hospitality…You already have my email and I am looking forward to your reply…Best, Ebru (your BYW student)

• Reply Abigail Percy October 4, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I stayed in that cottage back in 2006 and it was every bit as divine as it looks in the photos…

Now the whole world knows about it… damn!! ;)))) hehehe…

I honestly can’t wait to go back!!! If I can ever get booked! ;P
    xo

• Reply Laurie October 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Um, yes, I would SO like to stay there! Thanks for sharing. :) L

• Reply Gilly October 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hi Holly – what a wonderful surprise on this Monday lunchtime to see the beautiful cottage in Applecross featured on your site. I am a lucky girl and have been to many countries in our world and seen some wonderful things but I do think that Applecross is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been to. The light and air there just seem to have a special magic to them. I hope you get to go!

This is my first time commenting on your site but I’ve followed your blog for ages and enjoy it so much – thanks for brightening up my workdays xx

• Reply ines October 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Just wonderful. Want to fly right now and have a break. Too sad that there is no money with holiday written on it…

Thanks for sharing. ines

• Reply juliette October 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm

oh this is lovely, I’m def. checking out that cottage site. This past summer we saw lots of Scandinavian cities on our road trip and while it was a total blast, we also adored time at our friends’ cottage in rural Finland. We needed that break!

That said, we’re planning on doing a city vacation over Christmas ourselves, but would like to do a long UK/Ireland trip next summer to visit all the friends we have scattered about. A cottage in Scotland would be a great midway stopping point…. =)

• Reply Valerie October 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Ah… this does look nice. I’d love to take at least one quiet, romantic, contemplative tucked-away vacation like this in my life.

• Reply Justine October 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful cottage! To me, this is the perfect example of how beautiful a home with structural imperfections can be! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Beth October 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thank you for sharing this beautiful cottage. It looks like the perfect escape. I can tell it is just easier to breath there. : )

I am headed to Vermont this weekend and now I am even more excited to get out to the middle of nowhere and relax!

• Reply jordyn October 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

oh holly, do get to scotland! it is just as breathtaking and serene as you would imagine. my husband’s scottish, so i get to indulge in visiting my in-laws in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

i’ve been following your blog for quite some time, but i do believe this is my first comment. your posts are like a breath of fresh air and i’ve loved reading along especially since your move; aled and i will be moving to scotland in a few years so it’s fun to read about your life as an expat.

xo

• Reply Jacilyn October 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh my gosh Holly! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I came across her little Scottish cottage a few months ago and then I lost the link and couldn’t remember how I found and whose it was. I was so mad at myself. And now here you are posting about it. I think it is destiny that I should be going to Scotland now…don’t you?

thanks again

Jacilyn

• Reply Sarah, Pushpin Revolution October 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Such amazing photos! I love the mix of modern and natural elements.

• Reply Quatre Tsien October 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm

The rooms are fantastic, but I especially love the last picture of the home itself.. it’s idyllic.

• Reply Kelly October 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I think I suffer from similar vacation-planning tendencies. I always think I’m planning a really relaxing trip – but who am I kidding? Once I’m there, I don’t want to miss anything! And then it’s go-go-go! I love your idea of slipping away to the Scottish countryside. That might be just the thing! :-)

• Reply Becky D @ KingsDownRoad October 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I feel more relaxed from just looking at those pictures!

• Reply Frau Mayer October 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Oooh, you seem to be really attracted to fireplaces these days :)

• Reply Katherine October 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I haven’t stayed in the cottage but I have been to Applecross and it’s a fantastic place, good puddings at the pub by the sea!

• Reply Amy October 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for this lovely post, it made me day dream about long walks with my husband and coming back to this spot to drink tea.

• Reply Julie October 5, 2010 at 12:24 am

Such amazing style with such a cozy feel. I couldn’t imagine a better place to go to immerse myself in crafting and creative projects and leave my daily worries behind.

• Reply deneise bucko October 5, 2010 at 12:51 am

What pretty and calm pictures!

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor October 5, 2010 at 1:44 am

Pretty images!!

• Reply Rach October 5, 2010 at 2:14 am

Rural Scotland is amazing + quite like New Zealand.

• Reply Holly W October 5, 2010 at 2:50 am

What an amazing getaway spot! I’ve only been to the very south of Scotland (Hadrian’s wall). I would LOVE to explore more of the country. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply sloane October 5, 2010 at 5:00 am

You have a wonderful sense of style. I always find something to completely swoon over when I visit your blog. :)

• Reply Casa e Cose October 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Oh i cant beleive someone actaully lives there and that it actually looks like that inside! What a dream!!! And her shop is done with such great taste! Thank you for sharing this!

• Reply Diana October 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

That cottage is stunning!! I love all the little natural touches. My husband and I went to the UK this year for vacation and the West Highlands were, hands down, my absolute favorite part. Such a beautiful, inspiring part of the world.

• Reply Jennifer October 5, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Holly…you will absolutely love Scotland. I rented a beautiful cottage this past spring up in the Highlands and had the most amazing time.

I think that I may have posted before that you are my inspiration for moving abroad, for me its my dream to relocate to Scotland. So thank you for your post, it warmed my heart and put a smile on my face!

• Reply nichole October 6, 2010 at 3:45 am

We’re so excited about our January trip to Paris with you guys!

That said, I feel you on the hustle and bustle of city trips. Next summer we are hitting the French country. Can’t wait!

That cottage is perfection.

• Reply Cookie Cutter October 6, 2010 at 4:22 am

I thought the vacation home was charming and beautiful. Then I got to the picture of its surroundings. Oh my! It’s simply stunning!

• Reply jacqui October 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I love the modern twist on the candelabra!

• Reply Heather Bourgeois October 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I love that blue bedroom! I just want to cozy up with a book and read….so relaxing. I’m bookmarking that one!

• Reply Natalie October 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

The pale blue dining room and bedroom wall colour is heavenly – I would love to spend a weekend in a gorgeous house like Rosie’s, lounging around with the weekend newspapers and some freshly baked scones with jam!