Shopping + Products

Evoke Mio by Orla Kiely

October 13, 2010

I already have a lovely radio in my kitchen but after seeing the brand new Evoke Mio radio designed my Orla Kiely my heart started to race. Isn’t this lovely!? I still will stick with mine but this is great.

Evoke Mio by Orla Kiely

Evoke Mio by Orla Kiely

Evoke Mio by Orla Kiely

The digital and FM portable radio features the signature stem print that she is known best for and is finished with a chromed handle and walnut veneered cabinet with cream.The radio has an optional ChargePAK that gives you up to 24 hours to listen to music between charges. “It is packed with features too, including digital and FM radio, an input for your iPod/MP3 player, Intellitext and textSCAN, a striking auto-dimming OLED display, an alarm, a kitchen timer and a USB connector for future product upgrades.”

The EVOKE Mio by Orla Kiely will be available exclusively at John Lewis from early November and at independent retailers from March 2011 — I think you can get it at her Covent Garden store soon too.

(images: orla kiely)

You Might Also Like

• Reply City Chic - Jamie October 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm

This is the best looking radio ever! Definitely going on my wishlist (maybe for Christmas?!)

• Reply lauren October 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm

your blog is utterly splendid!
    I just thought you need informing!
    keehee x x

• Reply claire October 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I likey!!!

• Reply jodi October 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

that is going on my wish list for sure!! SO cute!

• Reply DomCurieuse October 13, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I understand you so well !
    I have got the same radio as yours but this one is just incredibly nice !!! I am not sure I can resist very long. Anyway I am not sure to go to London very soon …

• Reply Anna @ D16 October 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Hmmm. I love Orla Kiely as much as the next gal, but I am not feeling this at all. The pattern just seems so arbitrarily slapped-on. It reminds me of the “branded” radios that were so popular in the ’80s—put a Michael Jackson decal on a radio, and it becomes a “Michael Jackson Radio”.

I’d be much more keen on it if I got a sense that the pattern and the form were designed in conjunction with either other in a complementary way. As it is, Orla did not actually design the radio (the Mio was an existing design)—it is simply styled with her famous print and a few extra details.

I’m not trying to be a Negative Nancy, it’s just that as a consumer, I want more!

• Reply decor8 October 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm

@ Door16 – I totally see your point, especially now that I look at it more closely. I think it need an antennae with a “stem” detail at the top of it (image how cute) and the dials to be in Orla shapes. Such great points you make!!!

• Reply val October 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I cannot understand why her stuff is not more widely available in US yet–she could absolutely conquer. The UK website has much more than the US one. If the sizing were more consistent I’d pay intl shipping.

• Reply eileen October 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I must have it. Now how to go about getting it in Canada… I can see it in my studio/den or at work. Maybe I need two!

• Reply Sue Allan October 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm

How wonderful!……….I have suddenly decided that I need a new radio. Thank you for this lovely posting.
    Have a great day
    sue xx

• Reply ruth October 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I love the radio!

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm

oh – what a fantastic find! Love that radio!

• Reply Christine October 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I love this radio!! So cute and vintage!

• Reply My Owl Barn October 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm

If I hadn’t bought mine last month I would grab this in a snap! It’s a beautiful piece of art.

• Reply Bruna Capraro October 13, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Oh, so cute!!! I just love your blog, it has so much to inspire us!!!
    Kisses from Brazil

• Reply Tina October 13, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Ooo, it IS lovely – me likey! :-)

• Reply Nicole | blue bicicletta October 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm

what a sweet little radio—that really brings a simple radio to a whole new level! Love the vintage feel of that gorgeous pattern combined with the wood grain!

• Reply Amy October 13, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I like! I see your points about wanting more, but for me the simplicity of it is nice.

• Reply Nuit October 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm

oh dear, this is adorable!!!

• Reply Amanda October 13, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Wow. Adorable.

• Reply Casa e Cose October 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I could really really see that in my kitchen! So perfectly modernly madmen style – adore!

• Reply Jess (Where My Heart Is) October 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Holly I have been wanting to get a radio for a while now and this one would suit my kitchen perfectly. I love that it has a kitchen timer as well! I’m going to London in December so I’ll make sure I have room in my suitcase. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply MUS October 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm

wow! i like this lovely radio!

• Reply STYLIZIMO October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Yes, this one was really cool, but I already have a Tivoli Radio that I’m quite happy with. Look like yours btw:)
    Have you seen the Roberts Revival Radio? Looks a bit like Evoke Mio, but you can get them in many colors and also some cute patterns including Cath Kidston flowers.

• Reply Anna of green gable October 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

love orla! I can outfit my whole life with her!

• Reply make my day October 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm

There’s no reason why an article of everyday use can’t be turned into something that makes you smile…it just takes a little thinking. Orla kiely’s simplistic designs match the retro perfectly!! Nice find! cheers kari

• Reply Piper October 14, 2010 at 1:09 am

Oh boy – yet another beauty to add to my wishlist! I just adore Orla Kiely’s patterns – they’re so charming and vibrant.

• Reply sonya mccllough October 14, 2010 at 1:19 am

I love that it looks like a vintage lunch box for the kitchen!

• Reply Sharyn October 14, 2010 at 1:36 am

It’s cute… but so is your radio! What brand / from where is your radio?

• Reply decor8 October 14, 2010 at 11:44 am

Sharyn – My radio is from Tschibo, a German shop that has a rotating inventory of things each month so once they sell out, it’s gone for good. My radio is two years only but I paid maybe $30 for it and it looks great and I can connect my iPod to it so it does what I need it to.

• Reply sandiegojulia October 14, 2010 at 1:52 am

i don’t really get the Orla Kiely craze. It’s the same pattern glued on various items. and is making me kind of *yawn*.

i would like this more if it was the same radio but just white. there are much better mid-century mod reproductions without the high pricetag. her design is just becoming a little mass-marketed for my taste.

• Reply Tashelle October 14, 2010 at 1:54 am

OMG! That has got to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen and definately going on my wishlist along with the other 100 things.

• Reply Marie@etincellestudio October 14, 2010 at 4:10 am

C’est top! I am not familiar to this design (the Mio radio), so to me it is totally new :)
    I would love it even more in other colors though.

• Reply Sweet European Dreams October 14, 2010 at 7:41 am

hmmmmmm….I think I just found MY birthday present! Scrumptious!

• Reply alex*modernkiddo October 14, 2010 at 9:10 am

Hmmm i actually rather like it! I find it much more charming than an 80s slapped-on-sticker radio and it seems to have been “designed” to be different from the other radios they make. I really like the wood detailing (which doesn’t appear to be standard on the Evoke Mio radios I googled) and the more squared off handle with the cream face plate gives it a very retro cool vibe. I have to admit I’m not familiar with these radios, but it looks like the handle is usually more of a rounded lunch-box style handle and the face plate is typically white! I mean, I need this like a hole in the head, but i think its nicely done! I DO agree with D16 though that the stem pattern is kinda getting played out a bit….it’s truly going on everything. But for some reason I’m totally digging this radio! Another great find!
    : )

• Reply Alicia (Atypical Type A) October 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

omigod omigod omigod!

• Reply Kat - teamkitten October 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

mmm do agree with D16, however as i haven’t seen those radios before I think the pattern fits the style of radio. Really gives it a retro look.
    I wonder how much they will retail for. hmmm nice xmas pressie me thinks

• Reply Janet October 14, 2010 at 4:27 pm

OMG I LOVE this! Just reviewed her new book and am totally in love with this stem pattern. Tell me this is going to be available in the States! Please!

• Reply Mandy Ford October 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

That is too cute for words! And I want to live in that last room :)

• Reply casapinka October 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

It’s so so pretty and some how calming to the eye. It’s going to be difficult to resist this!

• Reply catina jane October 14, 2010 at 7:39 pm

her designs are so yummy!

• Reply Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor October 14, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Fabulous! Takes me right back to the way things looked when I was a kid. It’s all the nostalgia of a slower paced time, with all the modern technology we now can’t live without!

• Reply fai October 14, 2010 at 11:53 pm

omg….this is sooo cute!

• Reply jacqueline October 15, 2010 at 5:20 am

Oh my this is gorgeous and it’s making my heart sing! I will have to check it out! Love to you!

• Reply Sally October 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Oooh wow this is gorgeous!! And I’ve been looking for a new kitchen radio… one for my Christmas list for sure!

• Reply Jenny Morris October 15, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I live alone and can’t stream too much internet tv cause i only have a few gigs…i feel a radio like this would keep me in good company!

• Reply Liza B October 16, 2010 at 12:38 am

I LOVE love love this radio! What a great piece to add to any room to spruce it up.

• Reply Homesav October 16, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Love this radio! Super retro chic! Science and Sons makes an insanely cute vintage style radio for CBC listeners (I know, a little old school, but I’m shamelessly addicted)…–2.jpg

• Reply Stina October 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Actually, Tchibo does repeat some of their stuff. I think someone watched their collection over the course of a couple of years and said that certain things (that sell well) come again every 2 years or so. So keep an eye out!

• Reply Taryn October 17, 2010 at 1:55 am

I adore the retro vibe…I think this radio may go on my Santa wish list this year :)

• Reply Mat October 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm

tres jole!

• Reply Janneke October 17, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love the design! Great :)

• Reply Ivy October 18, 2010 at 7:16 am

Oooh! I love it! So retro and cute! I really need a radio for my kitchen and I think I may have just found it! Thanks Holly!!! xo

• Reply Helen October 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I have just discovered your blog, I love it and as an interior designer myself think it will be really helpful to me and so have subscribed. Thanks

• Reply Heather October 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I love this! The colors, the pattern, the nostalgia… Retro is definitely a favorite of mine. :D

• Reply Holi§Fu§ October 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I like this radio. It´s BEAUTIFUL

• Reply Ashley October 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Adorable! I think it needs to find it’s way to my wish list, for sure! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply (((Beaupourlesyeux))) October 19, 2010 at 1:55 am

Wow! I need one in my kitchen

• Reply Mandy Crandell October 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I want one so badly!!!!

• Reply Carolyn October 20, 2010 at 2:43 am

I love the retro look of that radio!

• Reply karyn October 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

This is the most fabulous radio! Love the vintage feel.

• Reply terri planty October 22, 2010 at 1:45 am

• Reply Jacqui Dodds October 22, 2010 at 8:43 am

Love the radio by Orla Kiely radio – it does look tempting doesn’t it!

• Reply Jessica October 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm

It’s true I am seeing this pattern everywhere too but I still think the radio is darling.

• Reply Jennifer October 24, 2010 at 8:21 am

I guess I should be relieved that it’s not US-compatible, or I’d be spending money I don’t have to make it mine!

• Reply Cookie Cutter October 25, 2010 at 4:20 am

That’s such a cool radio, oozing retro vibes!

• Reply Flock of Tea Cosy October 25, 2010 at 4:24 am

I love the use of Orla’s classic design and like the radio design too — its a lovely marriage. Good spot, decor8!

• Reply Maria August 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

But will it work with European electrical systems? Do I just need an adapter?