Over-dyed Vintage Carpet Trend

I was so surprised during my visit to Istanbul to fall head first into a shop that featured one of the biggest up-and-coming trends in floor rugs – the over-dyed vintage carpet! While shopping for a rug at Dhoku (and bought a huge collage/patchwork vintage rug that has been over-dyed in beige with spots of bright pink), I got to speak to a man who was very knowledgeable about rugs and he started to tell me about some of his clients and the stores that he was selling to and my ears perked up because I immediately felt a trend coming on!

Over-dyed Carpet Trend

When I got home, I googled and found that ABC Carpet & Home has identified this as a trend already and launched their “Color Reform” collection. Check out these rugs, stunning! Brilliant! I want a pink one now…

Over-dyed Carpet Trend
Over-dyed Carpet Trend

About the collection, each vintage rug was put through a process to neutralize the original colors while still retaining the essence of its design and then each rug was over-dyed to create a solid color with dimension.

“The Color Reform Collection by ABC Carpet began as a vision to salvage imperfect, vintage carpets and resulted in a revolutionary movement of color. Inconsistencies are the nature of this product and make each piece unique. A carpet once traditional is now a contemporary work of art.”

What do you think of these carpets? I LOVE them.

(images: abc carpet & home)

Posted by decor8 in flooring, trends on November 10, 2010

1. mary jo commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:48pm

Fabulous! I’m with you on the pink one!

xo Mary Jo
    mary jo´s last blog post ..pops of red

2. Beth@Just{Heart}It commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:50pm

Welcome back! I was in Turkey twice, in 1995 and 1996 – seems eons ago and yet I remember it like it was yesterday. How I long to go back. Someday. *sigh* Can’t wait to hear all about it and live vicariously through you! :-)

3. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Oh I love them too! Want them all!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Remake shop in Choomich Design District

4. Megan commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:53pm

In LOVE! The second pink one on the right is absolutely gorgeous.

5. Ele commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:54pm

I LOVE this, and have started to notice in around, too. It’s like taking the style I grew up with (lots of traditional Turkish rugs in my parents’ house) and making it more modern and accessible. The first yellow one is especially gorgeous!
    Ele´s last blog post ..More of the same- Tricolore Eggplant Bruschetta

6. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:55pm

I LOoooooove them! I could NOT love them more! And now want one for every room in my house! *sigh* So beautiful….
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap &amp Chic- a dress

7. Abby @ a delightful design commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:55pm

ooh–these are amazing! I’ll take the turquoise one on the bottom!
    abby
    Abby @ a delightful design´s last blog post ..friend of a friend- Tineke Triggs

8. Ariana commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Wow! These are absolutely stunning! I love the teal one in the first grouping. What a great idea! Hoping they make their way to Germany soon… Or maybe I’ll just have to head to Turkey!

9. emma lamb commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:59pm

Oh, these are absolutely gorgeous, Holly!
    I think the bottle green one is my favourite, but I certainly wouldn’t mind a few of those round the house to banish the winter blues… :)
    Emma x
    emma lamb´s last blog post ..i heart flickr- part 3

10. Mariella commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 3:59pm

They are absolutely beautiful Holly, I love the contrast between the vintage rug and these kind of brilliant, “fluo”, young colors. My favourite is the purple one with the flowers.
    Mariella´s last blog post ..On the ferry-2

11. Janet commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:13pm

I have been coveting these since they introducted them a while back. Looove them! Glad to see they are adding more to the collection. ;)
    Janet´s last blog post ..I Need Some Decor Inspiration!

12. sandra lund commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:17pm

I love them, if I had the room for it I would definitely want one.
    sandra lund´s last blog post ..Recycling

13. fawn commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Genius!

14. Dieuwy commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:21pm

Check out the last 10 or so copies of VT Wonen magazine, they have been featuring these carpets for quite a while now!

15. Glamourshoes commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:22pm

I love them, too! Are the top one from Turkey? that yellow one is gorgeous! Welcome home.
    Glamourshoes´s last blog post ..The Art of Vivienne Strauss

16. Evie commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:32pm

What a very exciting find – these carpets are so much more inviting with their brilliant strong colours – love them all!!
    Evie´s last blog post ..Beautiful blog – giveaway

17. juliette commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 4:34pm

wow, I’m really loving this! I wish there was an easy way to DIY this b/c we have a short stack of tired old rugs from my in-laws ‘ time in central Asia that are at the stage where something is just not quite right about their colorings to be a cool boho look, but have history so we can’t totally toss them…hm. I wish I could do a dye job like this on my own!
    juliette´s last blog post ..PSA- Gifted Magazine Amazing new free online mag!

18. TJ commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 5:10pm

These are beautiful and a wonder if they qualify as being up-cycled? I love the idea of something old getting an overhaul and becoming even better…
    TJ´s last blog post ..Uncooperative Universe

19. Joanna May commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 5:27pm

I’d love to see this as a DIY project – I bet that would be a lot of work!
    Joanna May´s last blog post ..LIVING BY GRACE

20. decor8 commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 5:50pm

@Dieuwy – I susbcribe to VTWonen so I have to check that out, thanks for the tip! Most of what I see in their mag are the most subdued palettes though, not so much the strong colorways. I personally love the softer more faded ones in pastel tones or solid pink or turquoise.

21. Casey commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 5:52pm

These are beautiful! Terrific idea – a great way to refresh a worn rug and give it a new life. I want one!

22. Melissa Allam commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 6:18pm

All I can say is gorgeous! A beautiful way to put life back into these hand made beauties.
    Melissa Allam´s last blog post ..Little Bits of Little Winter

23. Anna commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 6:27pm

so good! although it strikes me a little like the paint over wood debate… sometimes it’s amazing, others times it’s a little trying.

Best,
    Anna
    Anna´s last blog post ..color surprise

24. Katie - Coco Målé commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 6:56pm

great idea, I’d love one in fuchsia pink!!!
    Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog post ..Mountain air…

25. Melanie commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Way cool! Must have the teal one on the bottom left!
    Melanie´s last blog post ..Sheet Music Tea Lights

26. kt commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 7:26pm

Do you mind my asking how much the rugs cost at Dhoku? I have been in love with the ABC Carpet version for months, but they’re a little too pricey for me.

27. Lisa commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 7:29pm

Oh, these are so super beautiful. I especially like the softer pink ones. I’m not a huge fan of things that are slick and brand spanking new, so these really speak to me.

28. Lizzie [Ten Thou Bride] commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 7:40pm

I’m with you…they’re gorgeous! That would add so much awesome contrast to dark hardwood or concrete floors…
    Lizzie [Ten Thou Bride]´s last blog post ..Geek Out- Home Edition

29. Jennifer Finn commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 7:57pm

I love these! The bright colors are wonderful and have a feeling of aliveness– the ultimate goal when something is upcycled. Thank you for posting!

30. bussbuss commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 8:13pm

I DYE! Seriously though, love, love, LOVE!!! Fantastic find… I’m now adding to my wishlist. :)
    bussbuss´s last blog post ..Ask Kelly- Cute Hooded Raincoats

31. deb commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 8:42pm

As a little shopkeeper- I sometimes pass up persian rugs that are little to worn-or a little to beat- but this is a fab idea to freshen them up and bring them new life….

thanks Holly-
    Another great idea!

Deb

32. Steph Bond @ Bondville commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 8:44pm

GENIUS! I just love the intent behind the idea – to salvage imperfect carpets and minimise waste. And they are gorgeous. Finally I might actually buy a ‘persian’ carpet, if they look like this! Thanks for letting us know x
    Steph Bond @ Bondville´s last blog post ..Australian Christmas 2010- eeni meeni miini moh®

33. Angela commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 8:52pm

I absolutely love these carpets. What a fabulous idea. Have just recently come across your site via a friend on Facebook and I am loving getting your updates. So much inspiration. I work with owners of apartments in a funky neighborhood in Buenos Aires and we’re always looking for ways to make our places stand out from the rest. Thank you for making my job a little easier with all these great ideas to borrow from.

Besos,
    Angela
    Angela´s last blog post ..Boutique Wines from Argentina

34. Jenni commented
    November 10th, 2010 at 9:19pm

I adore them the original way but have to say I’m smitten with this technique,
    I’ll take the mauve & pale pink one next to it!
    great forecast!
    Jenni´s last blog post ..today

35. decor8 commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 12:08am

kt – they are priced by the square meter so it depends on the size. If you see something on their website, just email them for the size/cost and I’m sure they’ll let you know.

36. julie commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 12:40am

Ooh, I love this too! Loom Rugs in Melbourne have some overdyed rugs that have caught my eye. A great way to contemporise (is that a word?!) a traditional rug – to me it gives the rugs a fun and relaxed feel.
    julie´s last blog post ..are you watching the block

37. Matilda commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 1:39am

Actually, I cringe when I see them. I have grown up in a house layered and practically insulated with hand woven rugs, my dad has a bit of an obsession.

As an amateur textile artist, I only have an inkling of the thousands of hours of intense work that goes into making every square metre of a handknotted rug, and to see them stripped of their colour before being dyed garish synthetic colours, to me is along the same lines as spray painting the Statue of David gold.

By all means, weave a rug to imitate the look, but I can’t love a rug that destroys a beautiful piece of handwork.

38. decor8 commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 1:45am

@Matilda – Hi! :) Maybe you missed the description because I agree with you if they were indeed ruining beautiful rugs to simply dye them — but the description makes a point to say that they’re not doing that — they are actually recycling rugs that are damaged and neutralizing them and then dying them. I guess these rugs would otherwise end up going unused or even discarded otherwise so I think the process and idea itself is actually quite clever.

39. Pat langley commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 2:03am

Very creative to dye the rug. I like!
    I once knew a young married who wanted a different color rug, so she painted it!!
    Pat langley´s last blog post ..Little Houses

40. Mel HomeBody commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 2:20am

What a fabulous idea … I love new creations reinvented from old things. (I’ll have the red one please :).
    ~ Mel.
    Mel HomeBody´s last blog post ..right now im

41. Beth Perry commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 3:52am

wow! those are stunning! especially against that concrete!
    Beth Perry´s last blog post ..paint much

42. jenn commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 3:53am

welcome back. these rugs are pretty flippin cool!! it is such a great idea for recycling with such a stong impact, love it!
    jenn´s last blog post ..DIY geniusness

43. q commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 4:56am

wow, what an amazing idea to recycle vintage carpets – love them!
    q´s last blog post ..Untitled

44. kayte commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 5:15am

i love them and was thinking about trying an DIY overdye on my cheap-o kilim rug.
    we have a few found overdyed rugs at anthro and i got to merchandise with them at the accessories store. they are so vibrant and lovely.
    kayte´s last blog post ..New York Weekend

45. Alicia Parsons | Atypical Type A commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 5:58am

I love combining old shabby objects with modern brights so this combines the two in one!
    Alicia Parsons | Atypical Type A´s last blog post ..Quick cupboard hack

46. Tricia commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 6:03am

Funny I just was admiring a vintage-style “reform” rug in a popular furniture holiday catalog. Not as cool as these bright colors, though. Normally I’d lean toward the turquoise or pink, but this time I think the yellow one is great and would really brighten up a room:)
    Tricia´s last blog post ..Getting Ready for a New Season

47. Jess (Where My Heart Is) commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 7:32am

I ADORE! It’s recycling really.
    Jess (Where My Heart Is)´s last blog post ..Oh Where- Oh Where- Has My Little Herb Garden Gone

48. Janine commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 8:37am

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous! A classic with lots of pow wow!
    Janine´s last blog post ..la dolce vita

49. Nathalie commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 12:45pm

i totally love these! the process creates a wonderful texture and raw earthy feel which is sooo hot with the bright colors. i’m drooling here!

50. Christina commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 1:58pm

These rugs are a great idea, I hope they’re on their way to Australia! I also hope that the process doesn’t rely on too many nasty chemicals…

51. melissa commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 2:47pm

if yours is anything like the pink patchwork i saw on the dhoku site, you are one lucky lady :)

52. Michelle commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 4:39pm

I love the idea, but the prices at ABC Carpet are scary! I wonder how expensive it would be as a DIY project? I did something like this to transform several yards of vibrant hot pink linen (that I purchased at a major discount) into a color I could actually use. I used RIT Dye Remover to take the hot pink down to a softer color, then over-dyed it with purple RIT Dye. It ended up a lovely lavendar with peachy undertones. It was actually a quite fun project, because I had 2 pieces of the linen, originally the same shade of hot pink, but the dye remover transformed them into slightly different colors (one more peachy, one more yellowish.) So it was a bit of a mystery what color the final result would be once I put them into the dye bath. The same process would presumably work on a wool rug (although I would buy the dye in bulk to save money — and I’m not sure where I would find a large enough dye vat for a whole rug….)

53. enna commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 4:41pm

wow. pretty cool! do you think it’s possible to “diy” something like that? bleaching an old rug and putting fabric dye on it?

54. decor8 commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 5:39pm

@Enna – I don’t know but I’m willing to try with you!!!

55. Katherine commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 7:10pm

WOW! These are absolutely gorgeous. With the whole green movement going on, I can’t believe it has taken this long for someone to figure this out. I recently graduated with a degree in Interior Design, and will definitely be passing this on to my peers and colleagues!

56. Emily Smith Pearce commented
    November 11th, 2010 at 8:21pm

Really interesting. Reminds me of a dyeing project I did once overdyeing some patterned sheets which I made into curtains. I’ll have to post pics of them since I still have them. I’m an amateur dye-er myself. I think it would be pretty hard to do as a DIY project for anything but a very small rug because you would need a huge vat in order to hold enough liquid to do the job. It’s fascinating to think about, though. Wool takes dye very well. Synthetics do not, so you would definitely need to check the fiber content.

57. Kira commented
    November 15th, 2010 at 9:31am

Oh my god, I need one! They’re gorgeous!
    Kira´s last blog post ..Friday at Home

58. Sara commented
    November 16th, 2010 at 3:21am

I just love this idea. How fun! I’d like to try it as a DIY, too. My MIL has a ton of old, damaged, rugs…might have to experiment!

59. Down and Out Chic commented
    November 16th, 2010 at 6:17pm

i love them too! the colors are so vibrant and the bohemian vibe they exude is lovely.

60. Rugs commented
    December 1st, 2010 at 2:58pm

Love the photographs selected of the ABC color reform collection. Keep up the great work!
    Rugs´s last blog post ..What is this rug pattern

61. Jodie commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 3:08pm

No one in Louisville KY knows about these that I can find. The prices at ABC are affordable on a few of the rugs which I am not crazy about. I have poured over Dhoku’s website, read all of their press, and emailed them. They will custom dye a 3′ x 5′ for $555 and charge $80 for shipping. They have given me their mailing address so that I can send paint samples. Payment is done via wiring funds to their bank. They email images of your rug and ship upon approval. I am not certain if I should move forward due to the risk involved with wiring the money and not receiving any product. Is this a smart thing to move ahead on? or no.

62. decor8 commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 5:15pm

@Jodie – I met one of the sons to the father who owns Dhoku, he sold me my rug. I think that is a great deal they’ve given you.
    Their clients include ABC Carpet + Home and the Terence Conran shop in London and New York, so they have a
    fine reputation and I would trust them based on my personal experience and knowing who their clients are. Tell them that you found them through me, because I bought a rug in November at their shop in the Grand Bazaar and wrote about it on my blog. It always helps to let people know that you are connected to those they’ve done business with as well. Doesn’t hurt!

63. Jodie commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 1:37am

Thank you soooo much Holly for taking the time to give me your input. That’s all I needed to move forward. I will definitely let them know how I heard their name. You’re right, that will help.
    Thanks for sharing the info with us….I’ve been stuck on this for a while. Can’t find one, can’t afford one, can’t make one and then your blog pulled through for me!

64. Jack commented
    November 24th, 2011 at 3:46am

I love the red and pink rug hanging on the wall!

65. Jess commented
    January 9th, 2012 at 10:15pm

Totally digging on these!

66. Jagentin commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 11:23pm

WOW !! Can´t believe what I´m seeing – such a beautiful and decorative way to use grandma´s stuff. Totally love it!
    Jagentin´s last blog post ..The joy of books. //

67. Barbara Summers commented
    December 2nd, 2012 at 7:23am

I LOVE color reform rugs. At present I’m test-driving one for 4 days that I found in a design store in my town. I absolutely love it but it is such a challenge for me to incorporate such a huge visual into my home. And the size isn’t perfect so I’m back pedaling which room it might work out in. That’s the thing with these rugs. If you see a design/color scheme that you love you want to move heaven and earth to make it work.

68. daniel commented
    January 8th, 2013 at 6:41pm

Thanks for a great blog and posting – we have some beautiful overdyed rugs – we offer same quality and vibrant colors you will find at well know upscale stores .. at a much lower price tag – check us out at westofhudson.com we would love to hear from you :-)

69. Alisha commented
    October 4th, 2013 at 9:31am

Beautiful Over dyed rugs, i just loved the second one from first row.

70. Nazmiyal Rose commented
    January 7th, 2014 at 8:18am

My eyes stayed at the dyed light purlple one. Amazing masterpiece. Loved so much. Blue one is also good.
    Nazmiyal Rose´s last blog post ..Vintage Stig Lindberg Velvet Print 46237