Decorating Tips

November 12, 2010

This morning I must share with you some inspiring imagery from my Interior Styling Group on Flickr which currently has over 2,580 members worldwide! It’s quite a dynamic group of talented decorators, that’s for share. Don’t believe me, well see for yourself some views of homes from just a handful of the submissions I’ve seen this week! I’d love for you to play the “spot toilet paper rolls” game with me for a moment. When you look at the images below, spot the toilet paper rolls and tell me what you think of them – you’ll “get” what I mean in a moment. This is the best DIY project ever!

Nicoletter

Dottie Angel

Saídos da Concha

Wood & Wool Stool

The Happy Home

herz-allerliebst

wood & wool stool

Les Tissus Colbert

The Happy Home

afewthingsfrommylife

Hindsvik

debee{art)

See any ideas for your home? Will you be decorating this weekend at all? I am unpacking now that I’m back from Africa and Turkey, I have been traveling so much since I moved in on October 1 that nothing has been done in my house! Tomorrow our kitchen will finally be installed so I will be able to whip up meals now and enjoy morning breakfast in my kitchen — I am so excited about this because it’s truly the little things — tea by the window with toast and honey — that make me often the happiest. I miss having breakfast in a normal breakfast space, I miss having a kitchen sink, I miss having cabinets and places to store and I miss being able to make a pot of tea and drink it from a ceramic mug vs. a Styrofoam cup! I feel like I’ve been on a really long camping trip and tomorrow it will officially end! Plus, last night, I finally decided on the arrangement of my front rooms – where I will put the living, dining and my work room — which is a huge relief because I’ve been turning this over in my head for weeks and now I’ve made a decision so I can start to furnish them and work on a floor plan. Yay!

What about you? Anything new? I have missed you guys so much! I’m not going to be traveling this month or next month, with the exception of maybe Hamburg and Berlin but those are weekend trips that won’t disrupt my work schedule so you can count on seeing me each day. In January I will go to Maison & Objet in Paris for a week to post on decor8 and I’ll be at Domotex, the big rug fair in Hannover, but I’ll be online and blogging daily as usual so you can expect me around during normal business hours going forward. :) I am happy about this because I’ve missed being here daily – I have so much to talk to you about! Oh and next week Leslie will be back with her November edition of Color Me Pretty. Yay! I can’t wait. And a big P.S. — she’s going to be continuing her column here for 2011 too, so you have more Leslie in the new year! Yay for us!

(images: linked to their sources above.)

32 Comments

• Reply Will November 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

SO pleased that Leslie’s column will continue through 2011 as she totally rocks it! I might be in Paris for Maison & Objet, too!

P.S. Love the lantern on the chair – so festive! xo

• Reply Erin - The Smallest Sparrow November 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm

These images are so inspiring! I just may have to spruce up a few corners of my home today. I love your blog and have been reading for a long time. Thanks for sharing so much eye candy.

• Reply notabilia November 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Thank for the eye-candy, Holly. I am totally inspired by debee{art).

• Reply Dana @ House*Tweaking November 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I saw Belinda’s toilet paper roll ‘chandy’ a few days ago and absolutely fell in love with it! I’m very inspired to try something similar in my sunroom for the holidays. Isn’t Belinda so creative? Who’da thought toilet paper rolls could look so nice hanging from the ceiling??!!

• Reply My Owl Barn November 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm

These are all so beautiful and inspiring images. It’s great to know that Leslie will be with us through next year.

Welcome back! It’s always good to be home, I know the feeling :)

• Reply Anna of {Green Gable} November 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I love that you snuck some Xmas inspired decor in there! What a lovely way to decorate for the holiday. My favorite is the cupboard photo from wool & wool stool. Wonderful eclectic mix.

xo, Anna of Green Gable

• Reply Kim {Paper Lovely} November 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I love the arrangement of framed art and photos on the last image. I’ve been trying to get some photos rounded up to do something similar in my living room…thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Ali Marie @ Dolan Geiman November 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I always enjoy seeing how individuals hang their art collections so I particularly love the photo from debee{art}. Love the Flickr group. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply carrie leber November 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

it’s so refreshing to see so much everyday creativity. what a lovely collection.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 12, 2010 at 4:20 pm

These are all such lovely and inspiring spaces…so happy you are home & can relish in the task of unpacking and starting to get settled. YAY! your kitchen is coming! It is those little things….for sure. I am glad you will have them again soon. And definitely YAY for us having more of Leslie in the new year! You two make such a lovely team.
    xo
    Melis

• Reply ruedevamp November 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm

lovely post. I cannot believe the holidays are upon us

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... November 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Sorry, long time no comment (BUSY!!… but still reading each and every post:).

Love these images! Just pinned 2 of them (2 pins in one post is pretttttttty rare for me ;).

And btw- CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BOOK PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

• Reply sarah November 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm

happy sigh….so glad you’re back. :) Welcome home

• Reply diana November 12, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh yes, nothing better than a fully functioning, cosy kitchen. Good for you!

I went to M&O last September. It was great, albeit somewhat overwhelming! Every style is represented from luxury to cheap from kitsch to refined and from big companies to small artesan one-(wo-)men businesses. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

• Reply monica lee November 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Holly, i love Dottie Angel….So happy to see you mention her! I am inspired by her stitching and the white walls with bright retro colors. Terrific!

• Reply Elizabeth November 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I love the picture collage in the last image. I really want to do a picture collage in our living room of family pictures but I’m trying to find a way to make it not look like a shrine to us…some ideas to chew on.

• Reply molly November 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm

what beautiful inspiration! off to browse the flickr group to take in some more loveliness!

have a happy weekend, Holly!

• Reply Zee November 13, 2010 at 5:12 am

I really love what Constança did with the fall foliage! Inspiring!
    I can’t wait to see Leslie’s post again.

• Reply Patricia Torres November 13, 2010 at 6:26 am

That lantern on the chair is an awesome idea.. I’m taking this weekend off.. and doing nothing..

Hope you have a fabulous weekend.. :-)

• Reply kalanicut November 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

So much to enjoy. My mind is abuzz with new ideas and inspiration from all these lovely homes. Thanks so much for sharing them.

• Reply belinda November 13, 2010 at 10:29 am

oh thank you sweets for the love. glad you liked my loo paper rolls! haha amazing what a little glitter can do! happy kitchen installing xx

• Reply Laura Gaskill November 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Yippee for your new kitchen! I am feeling inspired now to begin freshening up my home and maybe snapping a few pictures, too :) xo Laura

• Reply All things nice... November 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Wow so much inspiration and such wonderful homes, love the male and female poster in the first photo and dottie angels is so so pretty. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to seeing images from your new apartment

All things nice…

• Reply ANNA November 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

so beautyfully picked <3

• Reply Denise November 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Love the toilet paper rolls! Brilliant. I would love to try this for my holiday decorating.

• Reply Ray* November 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Love these images. Just finished decorating the top of my credenza and haging a PICTURE COLLAGE on my wall- so I’m really appreciating pics of wall collages.

If you have a moment to spare, check it out…lemme know what you think:

Have a great night!

• Reply decor8 November 15, 2010 at 11:39 am

@Ray – I just had a look WOW that is beautiful, great work!!!!

• Reply theaxx November 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

Oooh yes!! I love so many of these actually… they’re so inspiring!! I must try harder with my little home ;)

My news is that the latest Spoonful is out and I’m scrambling to get all the posting done – whew! In fact, I’d love to send one to you to review… I will look up your email details…

thea.
    xx

• Reply Yen November 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Loving the chic selections of photos here. It’s giving me a warm holiday feeling and some inspiration for my next project :)

• Reply michelle November 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm

is that holiday chandelier made from recycled paper towel rolls, genius !

• Reply hena tayeb November 15, 2010 at 11:39 pm

so many ideas ,so much inspiration. I love the idea of tying ribbons to cups, something so simple yet it makes such a difference. Makes it all feel so much more special

• Reply zegary szklane November 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm

very nice kitchen :) love it