Color Inspiration

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

November 18, 2010

Hello everyone! I am so pleased to share with you Color Me Pretty for November, styled and photographed by decor8 contributor Leslie Shewring from A Creative Mint. We skipped October to give Leslie some time off as she was traveling but now we’re back on schedule with her monthly columns and surprise! Leslie will continue her column here on decor8 for 2011 so you have lots of CMP inspiration ahead of you. And remember, if you missed any of her work on decor8 in the past you can simply click here to view all of her color stories for lovely palettes that may inspire your next project, room scheme, party, outfit — whatever you fancy! And so with that, Leslie, take it away!

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for November. Last month I joined Holly in Morocco at Peacock Pavilions for a wonderful week of creative time organized by Angela Ritchie of Ace Camps. The gorgeous surroundings decorated to the nines by Maryam got me really inspired to continue painting yet more Moroccan patterns. It is kind of addictive and as you may know I have done a couple Color Me Pretty series in the past inspired by Moroccan patterns. They don’t get old for me but I do hope I am not boring you with more! To keep it fresh I used a warm grey for the patterns and then added a little golden yellow, dark olive green and pink to the mix. I really hope you enjoy the combination.

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

I have tried to use the patterns for some crafty little projects for you. With holiday entertaining time upon us, I thought I would spray paint a bunch of old glass bottles and jars to make an interesting floral display for the table or mantle. I can imagine them filled with red berries or evergreens, however I used a bunch of Lisianthus this time. After I had finished spray painting the bottles I couldn’t help but paint a few with some tile patterns. You could really apply any pattern to the finished painted bottle. I used acrylic paint for the pattern and a matte white spray paint for the glass bottles. Metallic paint would also be lovely to use for the holidays.

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

I thought it would also be nice to give you some more wrapping inspiration. I took photographs of my water colored painted patterns and then printed them out on matte photo printer paper. I then used the printouts for wrapping accents and for some tags. I use a Marvy Uchida craft punch for the tags. I love it because I am able to use up scrap paper for the tags. I also use catalog envelopes that have an adhesive strip for my wrapping because they are fast and simple. You just pop your gift into a large envelope and then fold over and seal where needed. No taping! Then you can just decorate them as little or as much as you want. The envelopes are readily available in 6”by 9”, 9”by 12” and 10” by 13”. If you are interested in learning more about Moroccan patterns a fabulous but pricey book called Zillij The Art of Moroccan Ceramics is excellent.

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

Lastly, I used some “Nut and Party Cups” from Michael’s to hold some mini succulent plants I picked up for under a under a dollar each. I thought they made a sweet inexpensive display or gift. The cups could be cute with many different kinds of plants in them and you can easily punch a hole in them for drainage.

Grey, Olive, Yellow + Pink

I will be back next month with many more ideas for you in a holiday inspired Color Me Pretty post. Until then Happy Thanksgiving or Happy November and thank you for joining me here today. – Leslie.

(photography by Leslie Shewring)

• Reply monica of hola!design November 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm

The mini succulent plants are an excellent option for a gift! thank you for the idea!

• Reply Mariela November 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Beautiful colors, so lovely and delicate.

• Reply Ludmila {} November 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Love this combo! The subtle pink is too cute! Lovely post, as always! Thank you, Leslie!

• Reply Heather November 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I am LOVING these colors!! And it made me smile to see those pretty painted jars. I literally have spray paint stuck to my hands from just painting jars of my own :) Now if only I had some of those beautiful flowers to fill them with…

• Reply Iris November 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

As always: lovely and inspiring!!!

• Reply Will November 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Going to put this out there: Best.Series.In.Blogland

As usual, Leslie, flawless – I’m so inspired!

• Reply Katie Truelove November 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I missed color me pretty in October! Leslie, I love to read about what inspires you to create a color palette! I’m not sure I could ever tire of Moroccan patterns…

• Reply Casa e Cose November 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I love how the glass bottles turned out. And if they have a pattern of its own even better. So clean with the matt color it almost looks yummi! Have to try – maybe with old cocacola bottles…hmmmm Great tip about the craft punch for tags too :)

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Gah…I swear Leslie…I would love to be a little fly on the wall when you are creating these posts. Just so much goodness & inspiration. I really don’t know how you do it…must be genius. Next time you & Holly plan a trip…I need to go, I can only imagine the inspiration that transpired. That tiny succulent idea is so wonderful and now? I am off to spray paint some old bottles!

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor November 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Stunning flowers! Beautiful. I, honestly, love grey and pink combination.

• Reply carolyn November 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm

i SO love this color palette. will definitely be trying this wrapping idea! (and making heaps of those circle garlands :)

great post, so happy there will be plenty more!

• Reply Laura@BillyAngel November 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm

So very beautiful and inspiring. I wish I had your talent.

• Reply My Owl Barn November 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm

What a beautiful post with lots of great ideas! I love the party cups planters. Gorgeous!

• Reply thedoodlegirl November 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Phenomenal colors! Beautiful presentations!!

• Reply Laura Gaskill November 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Oh Leslie, I am always so happy when Color Me Pretty time rolls around on decor8! That looked like an AMAZING trip to Morocco, I really wish I could have been there – the colors, patterns, markets, food, etc., not to mention actually getting to meet you and Holly in person…maybe another time :)

I LOVE your painted glass bottles, I may have to steal that idea and use it for decor around the holidays! xo Laura

• Reply janis - pinecone camp November 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Love your handiwork Leslie! As usual your pics a gorgeous too. Love the colours you used for November – pretty perky for this dreary Vancouver November day ;)

• Reply STYLIZIMO November 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

You are so talented, Leslie! It’s always a pleasure seeing your work – truly inspiring!

• Reply corinne November 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

thank you sooooo much for all these great ideas !! I didn’t even finish reading your blog that I started to do my xmas wrapping :)
    Good day !!! :)

• Reply November 18, 2010 at 7:19 pm

thank you for sharing these great ideas! love the bottles with the patterns on them! the color combos are stunning as well!

• Reply melissa deakin November 18, 2010 at 7:20 pm

My heart always skips a beat when I see that you have created a new CMP collection.
    This is just gorgeous.
    You are an amazing stylist and photographer.
    I am just curious if you painted the glass jars yourself or you bought them.
    I was hoping to paint some myself and was wondering what you used if you did indeed paint them yourself.
    I hope all is well!

• Reply Nicole November 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I love every little thing about this post. Every. Little. Thing.

I am about to move into a house I hate, and this colourway gives me hope that I can turn it into less of an eyesore. Thank you for giving me inspiration and hope! I truly needed it.

• Reply Lisa November 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Could you say where you ordered the succulents from? I love that idea. Really nice column–these are great ideas for the holidays, but not “same old, same old.”

• Reply Alison Gibbs November 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Lesley what great colour combos.
    Thanks for such great ideas. Think I will use the nut/party cup idea this weekend when we have friends over for dinner

• Reply Alison Gibbs November 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Oops sorry Leslie I spelt your name the wrong way in my comment. I know I hate it when people put 2 l’s in my name so once again sorry

• Reply Tracy Kunzler November 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm

So inspiring! LOVE the succulents in the nut cup idea! Too cute! Thanks for the great ideas!

• Reply sarah s. November 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hi Leslie: you have so inspired me to head out again and create with flowers. I love the succulent idea in the nut cups… and your patterns on the gift tags. thank you so much for sharing your ideas. They are always so beautiful

• Reply Diane November 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Amazing post Leslie! So inspiring! Thank you :)

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister November 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Holly it’s such a delight to have Leslie’s work on your site, I’m glad she’s not going anywhere but here! And Les, you are making me melancholy for free time to water colour and be crafty like we did with Holly at Peacock Pavilions. I did savor it but maybe not enough cuz I think I am soooo due again for some creative activity. Luuuv the painted bottles and jars! Need to get me some white paint–fast!….and then carve out some crafty time! Or switch my food blog to a crafty blog!! now there’s an idea— one of the many!

• Reply decor8 November 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm

@Julie – Hi honey!!! Miss you and your always “on” optimism. I loved meeting you and spending time. You were such a doll.

• Reply notabilia November 19, 2010 at 1:06 am

Love this combo! I *wear* this combo all the time!

• Reply Trudy Sack November 19, 2010 at 2:40 am

Hey Leslie – I’ll be going to Morocco soon. Can you give me some names of places to shop there – rugs, lanterns, clothes, home decor, fabric, pillows etc. ? Or places or people to look on Internet?? Thanks. Trudy

• Reply decor8 November 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

@Trudy – Because Leslie and I went to the same places and I know her taste so well, I’ll answer on her behalf as she is currently on vacation. My answer is actually in this post — you will find all sorts of places listed here that no doubt, you’ll like very much:

• Reply Marie@etincellestudio November 19, 2010 at 2:40 am

Beautiful combination! and the idea to paint on the bottles, the succulents in the little cups, the little tags… love it all with no restriction. I’d love to pair a dress in that blue or dark grey with pretty flats in pink and a big golden necklace or ring, perhaps from this designer in Florence (Italy):

• Reply Laura K. Aiken November 19, 2010 at 3:33 am

Oh I love these colors of pink and the grays, olive and yellow. Those littleh bitty clothes pins! Aren’t they the the cutest. Thanks for such a great post.

• Reply Jennifer November 19, 2010 at 4:31 am

Your watercolors are just beautiful! I love the use of grays to allow the shapes to be most prominent. You’re giving me ideas for my holiday cards…

• Reply Blenda Tyvoll November 19, 2010 at 6:19 am

Hi Leslie,
    Beautiful as always and your photographs are so inspirational. Thanks. ~B

• Reply Manette November 19, 2010 at 6:28 am

Leslie – you make it look so easy! Love the simplicity of the white bottles and little succulents. So creative.

• Reply linda November 19, 2010 at 9:40 am

love this series…it’s great visual candy and lots of ideas are sparked :)

• Reply Janine November 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

Loving the classic grey base to this gorgeous colour study. I’m I alone in feeling it’s kind of retro? Anyways, it’s spunky and feminine all at the same time:) Glad you’re back Leslie!

• Reply ana November 19, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’m in love with these patterns. The packaging solutions look so so chic

• Reply Piper November 19, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I so look forward to your posts – they always give me so much inspiration. I’m just smitten with this color combination. Beautiful.

• Reply leslie November 19, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Thank you all for your supportive comments! I really really appreciate you all!

-Melissa Deakin :) thank you and yes, I just sprayed some bottles and jars I had with matte white spray paint from Lowes (Home Depot and Michael’s carries it too I am sure). And I agree with Casa E Cose, when the glass bottles and jars had a pattern on them they turned out really interesting. As well, if you go somewhere that sells international beers you will be amazed at the bottles (Red Stripe has a cute bottle) just try not to drink all the beer at once :). Canning jars are nice too.

• Reply Charlie November 19, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Pink and grey are such a beautiful combination ! The gift tags are a great idea. I will definitely be using the idea to make my own for Christmas. The flowers are beautiful as usual. Thank you !

• Reply Lily @ Birch + Bird November 20, 2010 at 12:58 am

What a gorgeous post, Leslie! I really love the colour combination you chose and the spray painted bottles are so fresh and versatile! Time to get to work painting up some of my own for my holiday mantle…good thing my husband likes beer ;)

• Reply Claudia November 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm

LoVe moodboards…you are one of my faves, so good at it!

• Reply Ivy November 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

So lovely and fresh! I adore the white painted bottles and jars used to hold those gorgeous baby pink roses. As usual, Leslie…simply stunning! xo

• Reply ANNA November 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

this post is AMAZING!

• Reply le petit cabinet de curiosites November 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Love these inspiring pictures

• Reply mer November 30, 2010 at 5:58 am

leslie these painting details are just so lovely! xo

• Reply Liesl Pfeffer December 7, 2010 at 3:27 am

Hi Leslie! I used colours similar to these in a wall painting last month at an exhibition in Melbourne! I used sea green, yellow, peach and silver! You can see a photo of my wall painting here: and a video of how I made it here:

Liesl x