Arts + Crafts

Jurianne Matter Paper Angels

December 1, 2010

I told you about Dutch artist Jurianne Matter in May ’09 but have you been to her site since to see what she’s been up to? Well I have and I found these lovely singing angels that I thought you’d like to see today. They would be so pretty displayed on a branch suspended above a table, attached to a mood board or window, decorating a child’s room, or displayed on a pretty present wrapped in kraft paper. These product shots are so, so pretty, don’t you think?

Jurianne Matter Paper Angels

Jurianne Matter Paper Angels

Jurianne Matter Paper Angels

How are you doing today dear friends? Are you well? Enjoying the season? I am! It’s very cold where I live but all of the outdoor markets with the hot mulled spice wine and hot chocolate and candied almonds and, and, and! Well all I can say is that this is the best place in the world to be cold and outdoors in November/December because the markets run all day, every day and night, until December 24th. It’s such a great time. We walked a few miles tonight in freezing temps but had such a nice time as we enjoyed the sights and sounds (and smells! ah!). If you ever have an opportunity to visit Germany this time of year, do it – go to a city and just enjoy the markets. I heard Trier and Dresden have beautiful markets, but you really cannot go wrong in larger cities like Hannover, Hamburg, and Berlin as well.

I love the four seasons, despite it being so cold and that darkness falls around 4pm each day (we live in northern Germany so we have less light), but at least it feels like winter and so it is really cozy and festive. I went to a nice designer’s indoor “Weihnachtsschau” today at the Handwerksform too, everything was beautiful and displayed so nicely and entry is free so if you are local, you should try to go.

There is another market that will be here next month too, it’s called Designachten and will be more for emerging and established independent artists and designers… I know some of those who will be there displaying their wares and they are really talented and have great stuff so again, if you are local please try to make it to Designnachten because it’s going to be a great time for sure.

What have you been up to? Are you in winter mode yet or???

(images: jurianne matter)

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply helen December 1, 2010 at 1:22 am

Vancouver’s usually wet and cold during winter, but this year we are luck enough to have some snow! But that was last week, this week is back to the usual wetness. The upside is, as I found out there’s Christmas market in downtown! In its full German style and glory. I’m going to visit it with some coworkers this Friday! After reading this post, I’m very excited to see this market in person :) Hopefully the weather’s going to be nice this weekend because I also want to try snowshoeing. Hope to see some photos from the Christmas markets!

• Reply Gosia Maj December 1, 2010 at 1:43 am

Oh, the Christmas markets! I’m reading your post and am itching with excitement, as I will have an opportunity to attend the first Christmas Market since the time I immigrated to Canada. Vancouver, British Columbia will host its first Christmas Market this winter. Finally! I have no idea what took, us Canadians, to appreciate the concept, but all I say is “hurray”. Thanks to your post I’m already starting to smell the stollen and to taste the gluehwein.

• Reply Orit December 1, 2010 at 6:14 am

I envy your weather… In Tel Aviv it’s pure summer! although it is Hanuka today it is hot and dry during day-time as if it is still August! Enjoy!!

• Reply juliette December 1, 2010 at 7:50 am

Last night my husband surprised me by making an entire Advent calendar for me, so sweet! (I had made one for him, so I guess he owed me, hee)

In a couple of week’s we’re heading to Nuremberg to meet up with a group of old friends for our annual German Christmas Markt weekend, so I am really looking forward to it! I love that we all ended up living in Europe, so getting together like this once a year is so fun!

Today my blog is starting it’s own Advent calendar of holiday projects and freebies, so it’s fun to see this project finally take off on Dec 1! =)

• Reply Ylva December 1, 2010 at 9:02 am

I looove her stuff, have the paperflowers but I like these ones too.
    here it’s -20 degrees and 30 cm snow so yes, I would say we’re in a wintery mode :)

• Reply Judith of Felicity Crew December 1, 2010 at 10:12 am

It’s snowing over here in Vienna, too. So I am definitely going into winter mode… Feeling ready for some slower days.

• Reply sandra lund December 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

So pretty! It is very cold here too, we had a lot of snow and yesterday was the coldest November day in a 100 years (in Denmark they are big on weather statistics :-)) but it makes it more important to stay in and enjoy some cocoa and candlelight.

• Reply Lu December 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

So beautiful!!!! I am brazilian and love your blog.

• Reply Polly December 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm

These photos are so pretty! It is very cold here in England too, but I prefer the clear crisp cold days to the rainy ones!

• Reply Danielle December 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Totally cute! I can’t wait to show my mom, as she loves paper crafts and creates memory books every year for all of her grandchildren…they are so special and gorgeous as well!
    And I love the winter, but here in DC it has been yo-yoing back and forth between cold and warmish…yuck, just pick one weather gods!!
    Hope you’re staying warm!!

• Reply Simony @ Art and Life December 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Today we got our first snow here in Ohio!! It started early in the morning and has not stopped since then! I guess we are finally into Winter and we should enjoy the best this season can offer: Good food and getting together with friends. Have a great week!

• Reply Christine December 1, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Oh yes! We’ve been in full winter mode in Alberta, Canada for sometime! It’s the holiday season that really makes me appreciate all the festive snow!!

• Reply mina December 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Winter mode indeed, ever since last week.
    I even made my own Handmade Christmas Tree: http://www.minagraphy.com/blog/?p=934

Hope you like!
    Happy Holidays!

• Reply jenn December 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Those angles are adorable! Reading your post makes me wish we had something besides rainy, windy and cold weather here in the NW. The markets sound lovely and make me wish our weekend markets would hurry up and get here! :)

• Reply Laura Gaskill December 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I am so jealous of your local winter markets, they sound amazing! Though I have plenty to treasure right here at home in Providence, with several craft fairs and the Benefit Street stroll coming up in a historic neighborhood – they will have roasting chestnuts and hot cider, vendors selling handmade ornaments and crafts, and all of the lovely old houses decked out in their holiday finery :) xo Laura

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor December 1, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Pretty images, as always!

• Reply Maria Wheeler December 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Happy Holidays Holly! That has such a nice ‘ring’ to it, and practically a smile as well. The weather here in Boston is typical; cold one day, warm the next. I sit typing with the wind howling and lights a- flickering (we often lose power here) and hope to have enough hot water to shower. Tonight may just be another cozy-up-and-sit-by-the-fireplace evening; just the sort that ushers in a Winter mood. For me, the Christmas season begins this weekend with Handel’s Messiah at Symphony Hall. Despite annual attendance (years and years!), it still has the ability to bring chills and tears. Hallelujah! I hope you
    enjoy the season in your lovely apartment in Germany.

• Reply Nora December 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

If you like Christmasmarkets and want to see something a bit different you should really consider the historical Christmasmarket in Lüneburg this weekend:
    There are historical actors and lots of interesting food and crafts.
    And Lüneburg is totaly worth visiting in winter…

• Reply Emily December 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

When I lived in Spain, I did a whirlwind weekend in Cologne/Köln to see the Christmas markets. I think we arrived around midnight on Friday and then had to leave on Sunday afternoon, but it was so wonderful to leave the warm weather and orange trees and be somewhere that actually felt like Christmas, my version of Christmas. Lots of wandering and glüwein drinking and a bit of shopping – so wonderful! Now I’m inspired to relive it a bit and post some photos from Flickr to my blog.

It’s been snowing here – a lot! – and I’m loving it. It’s supposed to get warmer this weekend, but I’m praying for another big dump of snow. On weekends, when I’m not working, is when I can actually go outside when it’s light out and take some photos!