Inspiring Danish Brand: Nordal

Have you heard of Nordal? Living here I’m exposed to lots of Danish design, especially in the magazines that I read, but also in some of our online stores and even retail spaces here in my own city. I found reference to them today in Le Souk, an online shop in The Netherlands where you can find their gorgeous butterfly chairs (I’m thinking to buy one). I thought you may like to check them out because this style appeals to me so perhaps part of it will appeal to you.  Nordal is yet another brand from Denmark that is a family-owned business and they design products that are functional but also very natural looking with the occasional playful chair or stool thrown in. This looks like a fun line for decorating!

Danish brand Nordal

They design most of the products that you see in Denmark but have them manufactured in the far east but only in good conditions so you can feel good about purchasing from Nordal, which to me is very important. We as consumers need to question where our favorite brands are making their wares, after all our money is directly supporting either fair employment or something entirely unethical – it’s something to think about it. Would you like to see more of their products?

Danish brand Nordal

Above you can see some over-dyed vintage patchwork rugs that I spoke of recently in this post. Do you like this trend? What are your thoughts? I love it, just in a more subdued hue because I’m not into bold brights in my home. Plus, I recently bought a neutral patchwork rug in Istanbul that is huge, it’s in my living room, and it has tones of gray and beige and cream with some bright pinks accents and it’s a-m-a-z-i-n-g to me at least. I can’t wait to show you once I pull my living room together.

Danish brand Nordal

And don’t worry, if you cannot find these exact items in your home country use posts such as this one to inspire you to be on the look out for specific pieces in your local area that have a similar look. I usually print out or circle things in magazines and then try to find something similar in my part of the world, especially since so many companies in the U.S. do not ship to Germany, I’ve had to change my entire approach to shopping and that is the best tip that I can give you.

For instance, if  you are shopping around for a similar look, try to scout rustic wood tables with metal bases. Rivets are also part of this look, so if your metal has rivets all the better. Also metal piping as the base is very current. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to invest in a good rustic table with a metal base as it will look great for years to come. You can find pieces that are new by furniture designers, ones that are from companies like Nordal (but made in China, India and Thailand for example), or you can scout for vintage pieces which may or may not be the most affordable option as dealers watch the trends and read blogs too so you can believe that prices go up when something in their stock becomes sought-after. Another idea is to try making it yourself, you can use an old barn door from a salvage yard and then find metal legs and in a single afternoon, you can pop those legs on that door and be good to go!

It’s all about developing your eye and really thinking about what exactly it is that you like about a piece and then if that piece isn’t available to you, try to find something like it elsewhere or even make it yourself if that is reasonable. I’ve seen lots of similar wares in stores all over the states, again, it’s all about shopping with an eagle eye!

I hope that you have enjoyed the introduction to Nordal!

(images: nordal)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on December 09, 2010

1. Coco commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 2:17pm

I love the house of Signe Nordal, the owner of Nordal brand ;) http://www.livinginside.it/index.php?pagina=features&galleria=159&lingua=en
    Its definitely one of my favorite houses if it comes to the interior design.. but i love the outside of the house too!

2. Steffi commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 2:25pm

uhhh, I love Nordal. My living room looks as if it’s sponsored by Nordal. We have the gorgeous silver/black-lamp, candels etc. – lovely!
    Steffi´s last blog post ..Hinter Türchen 9 versteckt sich ein kleiner Spendenaufruf für die Kinder der Arche

3. Tina commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 3:31pm

Oh, yummy, yummy photos – love this! :-) I need to get a sheep skin!
    Tina´s last blog post ..For the animal lovers

4. Vanessa Elizabeth commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 3:45pm

I love the blue and green vases. I’m always so indecisive when it comes to making personal purchases because I want to make sure it’s totally something I love.
    Vanessa Elizabeth´s last blog post ..But which is it

5. Chuzai Living commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 3:54pm

Holly, this post was very informative! I love that you care about how the furniture is made. I totally agree with your philosophy. I love the natural look of Nordal. I also appreciate the advice on developing eye and think about what exactly one likes about the piece and seek out the affordable option. As I cannot afford many items and I end up seeking a more affordable option, this was encouraging. Thanks for the lovely post. Kaho
    Chuzai Living´s last blog post ..Wednesday Wardrobe ☆ Dresses Purchased At ITC Permata Hijau Continued

6. Ali commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 4:21pm

I love the random super furry throw and the splashes of vibrant color. They really help to warm up an otherwise somewhat cold feeling you get from the photos. The playfully colored chair is adorable!

7. Izabella commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 4:25pm

I absolutely love Nordal. Thank you so much for the introduction. The mix of textures is fantastic and such wonderful inspiration for my own home. Taking different materials and elements from new to flea market to vintage and mixing them up!

Despite not being a huge fan of color, I do love the muted tones of the overdyed rugs. It may just be the perfect solution for a pop of color for me …

8. Sibel commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 4:36pm

Very nice blog post about Nordal.
    We carry their products. and they are all pretty nice and fun to decorate with.

9. sandra lund commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 4:46pm

I really like the over-dyed carpets :-)
    sandra lund´s last blog post ..Amazing shapes and colours

10. Katie Truelove commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 5:02pm

I love that fabric-covered chair! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it…
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Travel Photo Friday- The Andes

11. decor8 commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 5:12pm

@Sibel – Do you have an online shop?

12. decor8 commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 5:14pm

@Steffi – Really? Oh you must tell me where you are buying it? Do you have some good online shop tips for me because I’m so lost when it comes to shopping online here in Germany!

13. Yvonne commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 7:17pm

I love Nordal. I read about it on your blog when Alina pointed out that she got something from Nordal and it looks like good quality to me. I even spotted Nordal pieces when I went to Hannover last month and the shop I posted about yesterday also sells them. I like that the look of it is not so clean and it looks loved…
    Yvonne
    Yvonne´s last blog post ..House tour – the entrance

14. Chuzai Living commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Holly, thank you. You’re awesome!

15. decor8 commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 7:50pm

@Yvonne – Where are they sold in Hannover, so you know? I’d love to know, I want to surprise my husband with a wolf pillow. I wrote to Nordal today and they didn’t list anyone in their reply. I saw a Wolf pillow by Nordal on a site in the UK but it was wayyyyy too expensive to ship it.

16. Yvonne commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 8:58pm

Holly, you get Nordal at Esplanade and elsewhere. I saw Nordal in Hannover at Looms, in Hamburg at Patio Antiques and in Sommerhaus Just check here:
    Yvonne
    PS: Also Octopus is listed!
    Yvonne´s last blog post ..House tour – the entrance

17. decor8 commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 9:28pm

@Yvonne – I was just in Esplanade yesterday, I have to go ask them if they can order from the catalog for me. Thank you! I typed in my zip into their search and didn’t land on that page so THANK YOU for that.

18. Christiane commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 9:40pm

I loved it! The creates with wheels are fabulous idea! For toys, knitting, etc.
    Wow, the Nordal catalog is amazing! Thanks!

19. Erin - The Smallest Sparrow commented
    December 10th, 2010 at 12:25pm

I had not heard of Nordal. Thanks for the introduction!

Can’t WAIT to see your patchwork rug. I’m totally addicted to patchwork but agree with you on the neutrals. I’m getting ready to cover a desk chair in a random patchwork design using grey / blue, white and tan fabrics. I’ve been inspired to do this in part by some images I’ve seen here on decor8. Thanks, as always!
    Erin – The Smallest Sparrow´s last blog post ..Winter Hat with Rosettes!

20. Tinkie commented
    December 10th, 2010 at 8:53pm

What an awesome site. I would give my right arm to have that type of merchandise and array of aesthetically objects available here in Florida.