Arts + Crafts

Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

December 10, 2010

Before I sign off for the week I must share the charming work of British textile and pattern designer Ellen Calvert who just wrote to me a few minutes ago to talk about her handmade things. I like her work so much that it simply can’t wait until Monday — I must share a glimpse now! These up-cycled home items are part of a limited edition collection and were created using both new and recycled products rejuvenated using several techniques such as screen print, embroidery and hand knitting. I like how familiar these things feel yet also how fresh!

Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

I love her reclaimed 1930s school chairs. They are powder-coated and using her hand-knitted fabric, freshly upholstered so the chair is brought into the modern world though the frame still gives away its age. The fabric on the chair seats is made using quality British wool that is very sturdy and then printed and embroidered on top with original patterns designed by Ellen. She also creates complimentary hand-knitted cushions that you can see above, I simply can’t stop looking at them because I want to own them all! Each pillow has her knitted fabric on front and then the back is vintage cross-stitched table linens. Clever use of materials!

Aren’t these things lovely? You can find out more on Ellen’s website here.

(images: ellen calvert)

You Might Also Like

• Reply laura evans December 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm

that chair is stunning … have a wonderful weekend!!! xx

• Reply crystal December 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm

REALLY very adorable. Thanks for sharing

• Reply kickcan & conkers December 11, 2010 at 12:05 am

I love these too, featured them last week. I wish Ellen lots of success.

• Reply Elaine December 11, 2010 at 6:19 am

These are so beautiful! I can see why you didn’t want to wait to share. Thank you for sharing her work with us.

• Reply Frances December 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I saw these on Kickcan & Conkers earlier in the week and just had to write about them for Domestic Sluttery.
    I’m so pleased she seems to be getting lots of attention and appreciation – Holly you’ve put it perfectly when you say they feel familiar yet fresh.

• Reply Mariela December 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Beautiful pillows!!, happy weekend!!!

• Reply Monica Lee December 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Holly, I love this girl! Oh my, me and fiber arts…I am so drawn to them! Love catching up with you:)

• Reply lisamyek December 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Really clever, the knitting for the mug! I like my hot chocolate really hot, great idea! ^^,

• Reply janis - pinecone camp December 12, 2010 at 6:03 am

An absolute load of cuteness here! I love those cushions and “I forgot to recycle”!

• Reply Photos by Rosie December 12, 2010 at 5:30 pm

These are so lovely – thanks for sharing! I’m just getting back into knitting and these are very inspiring.

• Reply Heidi December 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I love that she screenprinted onto hand-knitting. I’ve never seen that done before!

• Reply Danielle December 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm

This is what I have been wanting to create forever…an upcycled store with re-worked, painted, re-upholstered vintage/used finds! It’s my passion and I have so many ideas that I would love to share! I want my store similar to the petite gift shops in London that I used to frequent as a teen. There is nothing like that where I live now and I want to bring that vibe here. I have the whole design in my head and this post just reinforced the idea that it could work.
    Ellen’s website is wonderful too…she is so cute! Seriously thanks for sharing!!

• Reply julia December 13, 2010 at 4:05 am

It all looks so cozy! I love it.

• Reply sonya mccllough December 13, 2010 at 7:03 am

I love a jolt of color, thrown in with black/white

• Reply paleo March 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Tremendous. Thank a lot for writing that. I will return again to see what’s new and recommend my friends about it.