Ellen Calvert: Recycled With Love

Before I sign off for the week I must share the charming work of British textile and pattern designer Ellen Calvert who just wrote to me a few minutes ago to talk about her handmade things. I like her work so much that it simply can’t wait until Monday — I must share a glimpse now! These up-cycled home items are part of a limited edition collection and were created using both new and recycled products rejuvenated using several techniques such as screen print, embroidery and hand knitting. I like how familiar these things feel yet also how fresh!

Ellen Calvert

Ellen Calvert

Ellen Calvert

Ellen Calvert

I love her reclaimed 1930s school chairs. They are powder-coated and using her hand-knitted fabric, freshly upholstered so the chair is brought into the modern world though the frame still gives away its age. The fabric on the chair seats is made using quality British wool that is very sturdy and then printed and embroidered on top with original patterns designed by Ellen. She also creates complimentary hand-knitted cushions that you can see above, I simply can’t stop looking at them because I want to own them all! Each pillow has her knitted fabric on front and then the back is vintage cross-stitched table linens. Clever use of materials!

Aren’t these things lovely? You can find out more on Ellen’s website here.

(images: ellen calvert)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on December 10, 2010

1. laura evans commented
    December 10th, 2010 at 9:23pm

that chair is stunning … have a wonderful weekend!!! xx
    laura evans´s last blog post ..childhood – whimsical fine art photography

2. crystal commented
    December 10th, 2010 at 10:30pm

REALLY very adorable. Thanks for sharing
    crystal´s last blog post ..Overstockcom commercial

3. kickcan & conkers commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 12:05am

I love these too, featured them last week. I wish Ellen lots of success.

4. Elaine commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 6:19am

These are so beautiful! I can see why you didn’t want to wait to share. Thank you for sharing her work with us.

5. Frances commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 12:22pm

I saw these on Kickcan & Conkers earlier in the week and just had to write about them for Domestic Sluttery.
    I’m so pleased she seems to be getting lots of attention and appreciation – Holly you’ve put it perfectly when you say they feel familiar yet fresh.

6. Mariela commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 1:27pm

Beautiful pillows!!, happy weekend!!!
    Mariela´s last blog post ..Buen fin de semana!

7. Monica Lee commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 1:41pm

Holly, I love this girl! Oh my, me and fiber arts…I am so drawn to them! Love catching up with you:)

8. lisamyek commented
    December 11th, 2010 at 3:40pm

Really clever, the knitting for the mug! I like my hot chocolate really hot, great idea! ^^,
    lisamyek´s last blog post ..Vad är detta undrar ni

9. janis - pinecone camp commented
    December 12th, 2010 at 6:03am

An absolute load of cuteness here! I love those cushions and “I forgot to recycle”!
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..A Shop I Could Live In – Old Faithful

10. Photos by Rosie commented
    December 12th, 2010 at 5:30pm

These are so lovely – thanks for sharing! I’m just getting back into knitting and these are very inspiring.
    Photos by Rosie´s last blog post ..Gulls – 4 5×5 bird photographs

11. Heidi commented
    December 12th, 2010 at 5:37pm

I love that she screenprinted onto hand-knitting. I’ve never seen that done before!

12. Danielle commented
    December 12th, 2010 at 6:42pm

This is what I have been wanting to create forever…an upcycled store with re-worked, painted, re-upholstered vintage/used finds! It’s my passion and I have so many ideas that I would love to share! I want my store similar to the petite gift shops in London that I used to frequent as a teen. There is nothing like that where I live now and I want to bring that vibe here. I have the whole design in my head and this post just reinforced the idea that it could work.
    Ellen’s website is wonderful too…she is so cute! Seriously thanks for sharing!!
    Danielle´s last blog post ..Fridays Finest Finds

13. julia commented
    December 13th, 2010 at 4:05am

It all looks so cozy! I love it.
    julia´s last blog post ..Coziness

14. sonya mccllough commented
    December 13th, 2010 at 7:03am

I love a jolt of color, thrown in with black/white
    sonya mccllough´s last blog post ..Blogging Revelations – Blogging on your Sabbath

15. paleo commented
    March 2nd, 2013 at 11:10pm

Tremendous. Thank a lot for writing that. I will return again to see what’s new and recommend my friends about it.