Arts + Crafts

Karen Barbé Textile Designer

December 17, 2010

Want to peek in on a very creative lady? I feel so stuck on gift wrap and paper products lately which is quite obvious over the past few days, right!? Well my cute friends, I promise to branch out so let’s switch gears and look at this super amazing textile designer, Karen Barbé (it sounds like saying Barbie in a thick French accent I imagine) who lives in Santiago, Chile. She creates beautiful bed linens, fabric squares, pillows and all sorts of crafty things that are available for sale in her online shop. Look at all of this fantastic pattern and color! Eep!

Karen Barbé Textile Designer

Karen Barbé Textile Designer

Karen Barbé Textile Designer

Karen Barbé Textile Designer

In her shop you can find pretty scarves too (see above).

And you must check out her tree! She used bottle caps from things around her home that she has been collecting, cut them into circles, and decorated her pretty fab tree. Amazing!
Karen Barbé Textile Designer

What a cool, crafty lady Karen is! I love her blog and the glimpses of her home and handmade work, it’s so inspiring, definitely a new favorite blog of mine!

(images: karen barbe)

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

• Reply Liz December 17, 2010 at 12:53 am

I LOVE her blog too! She is an amazing and inspiring textile designer!

• Reply janis - pinecone camp December 17, 2010 at 1:51 am

Beautiful designs. That little weaving loom would be a perfect gift! Got to go and check out her shop and blog now.
    Night!

• Reply trish December 17, 2010 at 3:14 am

home spun love! fresh + happy designs. eye candy:)
    ox t

• Reply Alicia Souza December 17, 2010 at 5:00 am

Karen Barbe (barbie:) has to be one of the loveliest textile designers around!

• Reply Gretchen December 17, 2010 at 6:23 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I lived in Santiago for six months a few years ago (I’m from the States), and while I look back on that experience fondly, I never associated Chile with the fresh, natural designs I see from Karen. Artificial fibers were prevalent in both clothing and furnishings, and I never came across anything there that I thought of as innovative. This post has really reminded me that my experience was just MY experience- there is a whole lot more to Santiago.

Also- loving the shots of her parquet floors- every house I went to in Chile had parquet floors!

• Reply laura evans December 17, 2010 at 7:42 am

those duvet covers are gorgeous … i want one! & the scarf is so pretty. off to check out the rest of her shop. have a great day!

• Reply Iris December 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

I like those crochet cushions!

• Reply Tina December 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Very inspiring lady! :-)

• Reply Andreia December 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

This is lovely! Karen barbé is very talented! I’m delighted with her wor and creativity! Thanks Holly for this great post!

• Reply hearttypat December 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm

lovely designs! I need a bed cover… badly!

• Reply Erin - The Smallest Sparrow December 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Love, love, love! I am especially enamored with the fabric tiles. Such a great idea!

Thanks, Holly, for the intro to Karen Barbe. I’ve just added her blog to my blogroll. I love meeting talented designers from around the globe on your blog. You make me feel like a citizen of the world!

• Reply decor8 December 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

@Erin – You are so cute — you’re welcome! xo

• Reply Carmella December 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Loved her photos, her work, her colors. Thanks, Holly!

• Reply María December 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Lovely, lovely, lovely

nice wknd…

• Reply Mariela December 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Very lovely, amazing textile designer.

• Reply Jane December 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Can I just say that I am so very much looking forward to your book??? I am excited like I last was as a little child the night before Christmas ;) Have a fab and relaxing white Christmassy weekend. xox

• Reply decor8 December 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

@Jane – THANK YOU so much! I am sick today so it felt wonderful to hear your words of encouragement and support! xo

• Reply Karen December 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hi Holly,
    I wanted to thank you for this amazing post. I’m so honoured to see my work featured here! Love the way you’ve had arranged the images and especially what you’ve written. And you noticed about my surname!! Though it’s not that difficult to pronounce, people in Chile have trouble understanding it and Americans always say it like Barbie hahaha. And I’m delighted to read what others feel and see within my designs.

Wish you a lovely holiday season and hope you feel well soon.

• Reply Lindsey December 18, 2010 at 6:01 am

I think the best word to describe Karen’s work is refreshing. Its absolutely beautiful. The fabrics that are used on the pillows are clean and bright without being too much.

• Reply Melissa December 18, 2010 at 6:26 am

TOTALLY agree with Lindsey. Absolutely STUNNING fabrics!

• Reply Naomi December 19, 2010 at 12:55 am

GREAT BLOG! and so inspiring!!

xoxox

• Reply Elisabeth December 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Oh Karen’s imagnination and aesthetics is so great :)

Happy Christmas Holly! /E.

• Reply toscaberries December 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

hai holly, i’m fans of decor8, thankyu so much for posting this, you made me now adore Karen so much for her inspiring works! I made accessories from plastic caps & lids also, your post really bring new spirit for me^_^

happy holliday! xo