New: Etsy Taste Test

Today marks the launch of the new Taste Test tool on the Etsy site where you click on the stuff that you like and then they curate a taste map for you. While it’s not 100%, and certainly not as personal as round ups curated by your favorite bloggers, it certainly is a valuable new tool that I found to be fun and helpful. There is a lot on Etsy to see, and that can be a problem for some who don’t have the time to spends hours a week on their site clicking through sites and merchandise. Etsy is trying to deal with this needle in a haystack problem, but I think they’re definitely on the right path and overall, Taste Test is a great leap in the right direction. Here are some things that it discovered for me, not bad, eh!?

Etsy Taste Test

1 /  Groundwork 2 /  Seal Maiden 3 /  Groundwork 4 /  Ele Handmade 5 /  Groundwork 6 /  Irena Sophia 7 /  Alicia Bock

Etsy Taste Test

A /  Groundwork B /  Bucktoothed Bunny C /  Lucy Snowe Photography D /  Visual Musings

Etsy Taste Test

E /  Amber Alexander F /  Lucy Snowe Photography G /  Irene Suchocki Photography H /  Prunella Soap

It is all very warm and cozy, which is how I’m feeling lately as we’ve had a lot of snow here, I have the candles on at home all day, watching the birds play in the snow outside of my window… And I’ve been listening to lots of tunes by Coralie Clement, Ayo, A Fine Frenzy and Lenka while drinking a lot of Kusmi tea since I got a little sick this morning. It’s funny how my mood is reflected so perfectly in what I selected through Taste Test — that’s a pretty good little tool!

If you have time, give Taste Test a try and tell me what you think!

(images: linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in etsy on December 17, 2010

1. Rose commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 8:46pm

Fun idea! It definitely doesn’t compare to having a blogger like you pick stuff out, though. Your blog brightens my day, every day!

2. mayri commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 8:49pm

….._.;_’.-._
    …{`–..-.’_,}
    .{;..\,__…-’/}
    .{..’-`.._;..-’;
    ….`’–.._..-’
    ……..,–\\..,-”-.
    ……..`-..\(..’-…\
    ……………\.;—,/
    ……….,-””-;\
    ……../….-’.)..\
    ……..\,—’`…\\
    ……………….

Merry christmas and happy new year.
    mayri´s last blog post ..SADECE OYUNCAK İSTİYORUM

3. Vanessa Elizabeth commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 8:56pm

What a great function! Totally going to try that out this afternoon.
    Vanessa Elizabeth´s last blog post ..shopping bliss

4. Mystica commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 8:59pm

I like to drift thru blogs – most often other than those on my blog roll, I go to a blog on a blog – maybe a new post highlighted or a giveaway!!! Thank you for the link.
    Mystica´s last blog post ..Review – When we were orphans – Kazuo Ishiguro

5. Michelle commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:15pm

Now I just need a gajillion dollars to buy all the cool stuff it found for me!

6. catiej commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:21pm

Seeeriously addicting… and potentially expensive. I favorited about 10 things in the first few minutes of scrolling.

7. Shones commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:23pm

very cool… i did it twice and got very different results, but it ended up pulling up some of my favorite shops on both attempts. i’ll keep using it. :)

8. cloud9 design commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:44pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :)
    cloud9 design´s last blog post ..children’s christian coloring pages

9. jenni o commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:48pm

it’s an awesome idea, but I imagine it needs some tweaking. I tried it twice to see what would happen. The first time went pretty smoothly, but the second time it took *forever* to get past the 37% done mark. All in all I came away with many of the same items you did. ha. In the future I’d love to see something more along the lines of the Netflix movie rating/suggestion system. The more movies you rate on it, the closer to the mark it is, which allow users to only get as involved as they want to. A similar system would also allow Etsy a better view of what its core users are interested in.
    jenni o´s last blog post ..Waves of Gratitude notecards- set of four

10. Naomi commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:55pm

Tried it… Loved it! I should know this tool was there, thanks for the heads up;)

11. MelanieO commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 9:57pm

I just tried it, it’s fun and came up with some cool things. But it doesn’t solve the real problem that when you type in something for a search you come up with hundreds of items that don’t apply. I searched for baker’s twine once and soooo many things showed up that were totally wrong. Ebay (for comparison) has a pretty good search tool. Wonder why Etsy can’t take some tips from them.

12. Heather commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 10:17pm

Eh. I tried it and really disliked most of the options to choose from in the choosing section. However, I preferred most of the items chosen for me based off those less than exciting ones. It was a great way to discover new sellers. I could come up with a diverse post from some of these suggestions for sure, but I really like the old fashioned way of hunting and gathering inspiration based on my personal stylistic tendencies.
    Thanks for sharing! Good to know about!
    Heather´s last blog post ..Having it All Wrapped Up

13. Heather commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 10:19pm

taste being as subjective as it is, it is a good direction for etsy. it keeps things fun and interesting for sure. it could make for a fun holiday game round the fire!:)
    Heather´s last blog post ..Having it All Wrapped Up

14. Brooke H commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 10:43pm

They also have a new tool for searching for gifts for friend based their facebook “likes”. I found some pretty funny stuff.
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..Costume Illustration- Giorgio Armani

15. Emily commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 11:07pm

That is really fun! I love browsing through Etsy, using different search terms just to see what I can find, but it’s also nice to have a more eclectic mix without having to try. I think I’ll be using Taste Test a lot.

16. Linda commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 11:08pm

From the looks of these beautiful shops, the
    taste test tool is working pretty well!

17. hena tayeb commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 11:13pm

Haven’t tried it out yet.. off to do so.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Sleep Associations

18. A Casa da Va commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 11:20pm

the test nailed my style!

19. Danielle commented
    December 17th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Oh Etsy…how do I love thee!!!!
    Danielle´s last blog post ..Fridays Finest

20. Jillian commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 12:11am

I did it twice, and it went much better the second time around. Here’s what it picked out for me: http://etsy.me/hCEaVu

Very cool and much better than trying to sift through the millions of items trying to find something I like.
    Jillian´s last blog post ..Handmade Gift Guide- The Photography Lover

21. Kat commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 12:39am

Thanks for sharing this Holly, it looks interesting I will give it a try next time I’m at Etsy. It found you some cool things.
    Luv Kat x

22. Lisa commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 12:54am

Yikes – what a scary (but fun) time suck – hard to tear myself away.

23. kristy commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 1:02am

Thanks for mentioning this. I played with it and found a lot of cute stuff, somehow it even figured out I was into gardening, I am not sure how by my choices, but… it was a really fun tool to use to narrow down etsy!
    kristy´s last blog post .. Crafty – Holiday Anthro Pam Garrison INSPIRATION

24. Laura Gaskill commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 3:10am

How fun! Way to go Etsy for trying to figure out new ways for people to interact with the TONS of shops out there now. I just tried it and it’s funny – like Jillian who commented above, it came out much more closely aligned to my taste the second time around! Happy Weekend, Holly! xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Happy Weekend from Pajama Boy!

25. Mags commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 5:51pm

I just tried it out and I think it may come in very handy for me as a blogger because it breaks me out of thinking about stuff by keyword. And, as other commentators have said, etsy’s search function is…wobbly.

Now I wonder if folksy have got something similar…
    Mags´s last blog post ..harris tweet

26. Ashley Ann commented
    December 18th, 2010 at 9:17pm

Yaah, I tried it, and it seems like it would have been more effective if it was modeled after Netflix or even amazon’s (“you might like this”). It’s a little disappointing that Etsy has a lot of “fun” features like this one, but can’t get things like “search” working right. I find it nearly impossible to find a shop after I have forgotten the name.

Holly, have you tried the Etsy app “Favoritizer” you can organize your favorites by dragging and dropping (super simple), that way when you go to do round-ups, all you have to do is browse your favorites and organize them into groups. It’s free, and might be helpful.

Cheers! Ashley
    Ashley Ann´s last blog post ..Vintage Spoolie Addiction!

27. Jenn commented
    December 19th, 2010 at 4:17am

I actually tried this earlier today and loved my picks. I now have lots of after Christmas shopping to do…good thing I’ll have a new apartment to decorate.

I blogged about my taste test and included a few favorites here: http://withloveandwanderlust.blogspot.com/2010/12/saturday-taste-testing.html

28. Rachael commented
    December 19th, 2010 at 5:46pm

What a neat idea! I really like most of the suggestions it gave me. I’ll be recommending it for those who, like me, are overwhelmed by all the options out there – and I’m happy to chime in to agree with the other comments about frustrations with Etsy’s search feature!

29. Christy commented
    December 20th, 2010 at 6:51pm

I tried it, but I think the “guy stuff/girl stuff” starting point is a weakness. I found very little I liked when I chose girl stuff, and so much from guy stuff. I think categorizing household items and decor is limiting. But they ask for feedback, so maybe they’ll listen to me! :)

30. Janneke commented
    December 20th, 2010 at 11:04pm

Great tool! Discovered some great artwork and many things really ‘me’. Can keep you busy for hours though.. :)
    Janneke´s last blog post ..Handgemaakte kerstkaarten

31. Aaron commented
    February 18th, 2011 at 4:50pm

I wish I had known about this 2 weeks ago! Some friends and I had a similar idea, and created it for an event called “Build Madison” – a gathering for cooperatively creating real products in less than 24 hours.

It was a blast and we ended up winning the cash prize for our etsy suggestion engine. If anyone is interested in checking it out the url is:

If you have any suggestions please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email .