Etsy Faves

New: Etsy Taste Test

December 17, 2010

Today marks the launch of the new Taste Test tool on the Etsy site where you click on the stuff that you like and then they curate a taste map for you. While it’s not 100%, and certainly not as personal as round ups curated by your favorite bloggers, it certainly is a valuable new tool that I found to be fun and helpful. There is a lot on Etsy to see, and that can be a problem for some who don’t have the time to spends hours a week on their site clicking through sites and merchandise. Etsy is trying to deal with this needle in a haystack problem, but I think they’re definitely on the right path and overall, Taste Test is a great leap in the right direction. Here are some things that it discovered for me, not bad, eh!?

New: Etsy Taste Test

1 /  Groundwork 2 /  Seal Maiden 3 /  Groundwork 4 /  Ele Handmade 5 /  Groundwork 6 /  Irena Sophia 7 /  Alicia Bock

New: Etsy Taste Test

A /  Groundwork B /  Bucktoothed Bunny C /  Lucy Snowe Photography D /  Visual Musings

New: Etsy Taste Test

E /  Amber Alexander F /  Lucy Snowe Photography G /  Irene Suchocki Photography H /  Prunella Soap

It is all very warm and cozy, which is how I’m feeling lately as we’ve had a lot of snow here, I have the candles on at home all day, watching the birds play in the snow outside of my window… And I’ve been listening to lots of tunes by Coralie Clement, Ayo, A Fine Frenzy and Lenka while drinking a lot of Kusmi tea since I got a little sick this morning. It’s funny how my mood is reflected so perfectly in what I selected through Taste Test — that’s a pretty good little tool!

If you have time, give Taste Test a try and tell me what you think!

(images: linked to their sources above.)

31 Comments

• Reply Rose December 17, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Fun idea! It definitely doesn’t compare to having a blogger like you pick stuff out, though. Your blog brightens my day, every day!

• Reply mayri December 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

….._.;_’.-._
    …{`–..-.’_,}
    .{;..\,__…-‘/}
    .{..’-`.._;..-‘;
    ….`’–.._..-‘
    ……..,–\\..,-“-.
    ……..`-..\(..’-…\
    ……………\.;—,/
    ……….,-“”-;\
    ……../….-‘.)..\
    ……..\,—‘`…\\
    ……………….

Merry christmas and happy new year.

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth December 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

What a great function! Totally going to try that out this afternoon.

• Reply Mystica December 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I like to drift thru blogs – most often other than those on my blog roll, I go to a blog on a blog – maybe a new post highlighted or a giveaway!!! Thank you for the link.

• Reply Michelle December 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Now I just need a gajillion dollars to buy all the cool stuff it found for me!

• Reply catiej December 17, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Seeeriously addicting… and potentially expensive. I favorited about 10 things in the first few minutes of scrolling.

• Reply Shones December 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm

very cool… i did it twice and got very different results, but it ended up pulling up some of my favorite shops on both attempts. i’ll keep using it. :)

• Reply cloud9 design December 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Reply jenni o December 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

it’s an awesome idea, but I imagine it needs some tweaking. I tried it twice to see what would happen. The first time went pretty smoothly, but the second time it took *forever* to get past the 37% done mark. All in all I came away with many of the same items you did. ha. In the future I’d love to see something more along the lines of the Netflix movie rating/suggestion system. The more movies you rate on it, the closer to the mark it is, which allow users to only get as involved as they want to. A similar system would also allow Etsy a better view of what its core users are interested in.

• Reply Naomi December 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Tried it… Loved it! I should know this tool was there, thanks for the heads up;)

• Reply MelanieO December 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I just tried it, it’s fun and came up with some cool things. But it doesn’t solve the real problem that when you type in something for a search you come up with hundreds of items that don’t apply. I searched for baker’s twine once and soooo many things showed up that were totally wrong. Ebay (for comparison) has a pretty good search tool. Wonder why Etsy can’t take some tips from them.

• Reply Heather December 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Eh. I tried it and really disliked most of the options to choose from in the choosing section. However, I preferred most of the items chosen for me based off those less than exciting ones. It was a great way to discover new sellers. I could come up with a diverse post from some of these suggestions for sure, but I really like the old fashioned way of hunting and gathering inspiration based on my personal stylistic tendencies.
    Thanks for sharing! Good to know about!

• Reply Heather December 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

taste being as subjective as it is, it is a good direction for etsy. it keeps things fun and interesting for sure. it could make for a fun holiday game round the fire!:)

• Reply Brooke H December 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

They also have a new tool for searching for gifts for friend based their facebook “likes”. I found some pretty funny stuff.

• Reply Emily December 17, 2010 at 11:07 pm

That is really fun! I love browsing through Etsy, using different search terms just to see what I can find, but it’s also nice to have a more eclectic mix without having to try. I think I’ll be using Taste Test a lot.

• Reply Linda December 17, 2010 at 11:08 pm

From the looks of these beautiful shops, the
    taste test tool is working pretty well!

• Reply hena tayeb December 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Haven’t tried it out yet.. off to do so.

• Reply A Casa da Va December 17, 2010 at 11:20 pm

the test nailed my style!

• Reply Danielle December 17, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Oh Etsy…how do I love thee!!!!

• Reply Jillian December 18, 2010 at 12:11 am

I did it twice, and it went much better the second time around. Here’s what it picked out for me: http://etsy.me/hCEaVu

Very cool and much better than trying to sift through the millions of items trying to find something I like.

• Reply Kat December 18, 2010 at 12:39 am

Thanks for sharing this Holly, it looks interesting I will give it a try next time I’m at Etsy. It found you some cool things.
    Luv Kat x

• Reply Lisa December 18, 2010 at 12:54 am

Yikes – what a scary (but fun) time suck – hard to tear myself away.

• Reply kristy December 18, 2010 at 1:02 am

Thanks for mentioning this. I played with it and found a lot of cute stuff, somehow it even figured out I was into gardening, I am not sure how by my choices, but… it was a really fun tool to use to narrow down etsy!

• Reply Laura Gaskill December 18, 2010 at 3:10 am

How fun! Way to go Etsy for trying to figure out new ways for people to interact with the TONS of shops out there now. I just tried it and it’s funny – like Jillian who commented above, it came out much more closely aligned to my taste the second time around! Happy Weekend, Holly! xo Laura

• Reply Mags December 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I just tried it out and I think it may come in very handy for me as a blogger because it breaks me out of thinking about stuff by keyword. And, as other commentators have said, etsy’s search function is…wobbly.

Now I wonder if folksy have got something similar…

• Reply Ashley Ann December 18, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Yaah, I tried it, and it seems like it would have been more effective if it was modeled after Netflix or even amazon’s (“you might like this”). It’s a little disappointing that Etsy has a lot of “fun” features like this one, but can’t get things like “search” working right. I find it nearly impossible to find a shop after I have forgotten the name.

Holly, have you tried the Etsy app “Favoritizer” you can organize your favorites by dragging and dropping (super simple), that way when you go to do round-ups, all you have to do is browse your favorites and organize them into groups. It’s free, and might be helpful.

Cheers! Ashley

• Reply Jenn December 19, 2010 at 4:17 am

I actually tried this earlier today and loved my picks. I now have lots of after Christmas shopping to do…good thing I’ll have a new apartment to decorate.

I blogged about my taste test and included a few favorites here: http://withloveandwanderlust.blogspot.com/2010/12/saturday-taste-testing.html

• Reply Rachael December 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm

What a neat idea! I really like most of the suggestions it gave me. I’ll be recommending it for those who, like me, are overwhelmed by all the options out there – and I’m happy to chime in to agree with the other comments about frustrations with Etsy’s search feature!

• Reply Christy December 20, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I tried it, but I think the “guy stuff/girl stuff” starting point is a weakness. I found very little I liked when I chose girl stuff, and so much from guy stuff. I think categorizing household items and decor is limiting. But they ask for feedback, so maybe they’ll listen to me! :)

• Reply Janneke December 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Great tool! Discovered some great artwork and many things really ‘me’. Can keep you busy for hours though.. :)

• Reply Aaron February 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I wish I had known about this 2 weeks ago! Some friends and I had a similar idea, and created it for an event called “Build Madison” – a gathering for cooperatively creating real products in less than 24 hours.

It was a blast and we ended up winning the cash prize for our etsy suggestion engine. If anyone is interested in checking it out the url is:

If you have any suggestions please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email .