Events + Markets

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

December 18, 2010

Want to see what a craft market looks like in Sydney? Well, for one the guests look really chill and super summery which is hard to imagine as I sit here watching the snow fall outside. This market looks like a giant Anthropologie — I love the worn industrial building and the super high ceilings and all of that natural light! I also loved seeing the gorgeous handmade crafts. I just looked through over 180 photos that Australian photographer Jillian Leiboff sent in, she was commissioned by The Finders Keepers Market to shoot the event and then she was nice enough to get permission to see if she could share her impressions with all of you today.

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

The Finders Keepers Market in Sydney

Seeing events like The Finders Keepers Market is super inspiring to me but I imagine even more so to those of you who don’t have craft markets in your city… seeing handmade artists, meeting them, chillin’ out with others in your community and bumping into friends, just being exposed to so much beauty and positivity in a single day — it’s an honor really. I’ll be attending two handmade markets in my city this weekend and I can’t wait to see some of my friends and check out what they’ve prepared to present on their tables. I like to poke through their new products, see how they’re displaying things, there is so much to absorb and enjoy at independent craft markets.

A big thank you to Jillian Leiboff for her beautiful photography and to Sarah Thornton from The Finders Keepers for giving us permission to share them on decor8.

(images: jillian leiboff)

• Reply trish December 18, 2010 at 1:06 am

i am so buyin that sums up this post. love those bottle-vases! wish i were there. ox t

• Reply jessica December 18, 2010 at 1:09 am

These markets are the best! We went to the Melbourne one recently, it is such a lovely way to spend an afternoon, browsing and chatting to all the vendors. There is always great food, beer and cool music so my husband enjoys himself (and therefore I don’t feel like I am drrrragging him around!)
    Holly, you must come visit us in Australia in the summer!! And time it so you’re here for finders keepers

• Reply decor8 December 18, 2010 at 1:13 am

@Jessica – My book is being published in Australia, I just found out, so maybe I’ll have to come down and hang with ya’ll and do a little signing or something. I would LOVE that.

• Reply Katy Hahn December 18, 2010 at 1:28 am

I love the Porcelain bottles and the watercolors botanical bottles.

• Reply Katy Hahn December 18, 2010 at 1:30 am

I love the porcelain and botanical bottles.

• Reply Emily@theNest December 18, 2010 at 2:14 am

Oh my gosh… wouldn’t you have a serious case of *want-ies* after seeing those photos…!! What a GREAT excuse to go to Australia!!

• Reply Chuzai Living December 18, 2010 at 2:22 am

The Finders Keepers market looks amazing. I love everything I see in the photos. I also like Jillian Leiboff’s photos. She takes great photos and I like her perspective. I felt like I was there through seeing them. So inspiring. Holly, congratulations on having your books published in Australia. That’s great news! Kaho

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang December 18, 2010 at 2:38 am

Oh, the tea towels, the rabbit plates! So cute :)

• Reply Leslie December 18, 2010 at 3:02 am

Yay for Finders Keepers, like Jessica above I went to the Melbourne Finders Keepers a few months ago and found so many wonderful things. No joke I could have bought something from nearly every stall. There has been a huge increase in these high quality handmade markets recently in Melbourne which is great because the many suburban markets are really being overrun by food stalls and lesser quality crafts.

• Reply jessica December 18, 2010 at 3:11 am

Um, Holly…. hell yea!! We’ll even organise a ‘little blogging your way’ get together in your honour. I’d LOVE that!

• Reply Sarah December 18, 2010 at 3:54 am

Holly thank you so much for the lovely post and sharing with your readers!! We appreciate it soo much!
    We would love for you to come along to Australia and experience it for yourself!! We have just posted 2011 dates on our website..xx
    Thanks Jessica for your lovely comments too!

• Reply Steph Bond @ Bondville December 18, 2010 at 4:00 am

Yay for Finders Keepers! Yes yes come visit Holly. You are going to LOVE it here. Such vibrant craft/design scenes in all the cities and regionally too.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 18, 2010 at 6:51 am

Just AWESOME. I would love nothing better than to visit there this weekend. sigh….can’t get enough of indie markets….and this one looks so lovely. Thanks so much for sharing these with us hunnie!

• Reply laura evans December 18, 2010 at 8:36 am

every time i see photos like this i wish we had something similar i could go to … though i’m also pretty sure my husband wouldn’t be so keen (or my bank account). lots of gorgeous items here. *big sigh*

• Reply sandra lund December 18, 2010 at 10:53 am

Beautiful pictures! I love the whale mobile and the teatowels. We have a handmade market in my city (Aarhus) and have had for some years now, but I would love to see more of it, it seems that there are not many young people with new ideas there unfortunately.

• Reply tumbleling December 18, 2010 at 10:58 am

I love this!!! Wish we have something like this where Im from :( amazing stuff!!! :D

• Reply Leanne Ambrogio December 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

Oh Holly so exciting that your book is being published here – can’t wait to get my hands on it and yes definitely a trip to Australia is on the cards! We have some really fabulous handmade markets here in Sydney – I think most weekends you can find something somewhere in this fabulous city! Love the bottles in this post – fabulous. Leanne x

• Reply Lisa December 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Ah wow! That looks like the most amazing market ever! I love every single photo!

I’ve got a shopping Giveaway on my blog right now, you can win $35 (or £25) worth of designer home accessories shopping! Lots of online stores and designer brands to choose from!

Check it out:

Thanks for a wonderful blog!

• Reply Paul Byron Downs December 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Think those Mr. & Mrs. White picture frames are brilliant.

• Reply Design Elements December 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm

these markets are wonderful!

• Reply Bethany Dirksen December 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I am definitely jealous I couldn’t be there. So many things to inspire great design and art!
    I just stumbled across your blog for the first time and thought I would say hello! I looked through a few of your posts and love your style.

I’m a blogger as well, about the world of art, but my history is in interior design and fashion. I love to hear what people are saying! Hope we get to see more of each other in the future.

• Reply Lily December 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Lovely pics!

I hope you show us some pics from the two markets you went this weekend, too!

• Reply decor8 December 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm

@Lis – I will do my best, I plan to photograph them tomorrow!!

• Reply shaina December 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm

i just love this post! my sister is in Australia right now. i wish i could go visit her and shop in a place like this. amazing photographs too. :)

i was wondering…. what is the font you used with the little captions throughout this post. it makes my heart go pitter patter!!

• Reply BODIE and FOU December 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm

It looks wonderful! I’m off to New-Zealand in a week and I would love to find a little indie market like this! if you hear anything….:-)

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski December 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I love the way those circle earrings are presented on white branches and then this cute baby deer standing on a flowery tin box! I would love to visit the Finders Keepers Market one day to see all this beautiful designs…

• Reply WanderChow December 19, 2010 at 1:47 am

I want to go to there!

• Reply Marisa December 19, 2010 at 2:39 am

Ooh yes! FindersKeepers! I’ve been going to these markets since they started off super small in a little bar in Surry Hills and they called themselves Hope St Markets. They just get better and better.
    We had so much fun visiting these markets even in the Friday afternoon *crush* – I bought a dress, some beautiful wooden spoons and tongs, organic cotton tshirts, jewellery, books and visited my friend in her paper making workshop. All round ~ good fun! It doesn’t hurt that the building and space IS beautiful either….

• Reply tinajo December 19, 2010 at 10:43 am

Ooooo WOW – love this, would be amazing to walk around there! :-)

• Reply katrin December 19, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thank you for this jump into a summer-flea market. Nice treat :)
    Wishing you a heart-warming 4th Advent from crispy and white Cologne,
    yours KATRIN

• Reply Bieb December 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Great post, I loveeeee markets & love your comments, haha…love you long time…fantastic!

• Reply anastasia December 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

such a great post – the Finders Keepers markets are so fun!!! you always find something unique to buy!! I missed the last one but will defn be looking forward to the next one in Sydney….i think its in March again?
    cant wait for your book too – you should defn try to come down under for a book signing!…worth the long long flight and we’ll be hear with open arms to greet you!!!

• Reply laura trevey December 19, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am completely in love with those porcelain bottles!!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas December 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

How incredibly lovely & fun!

Wishing Las Vegas has such a cool market…

• Reply Twiggs December 19, 2010 at 9:28 pm

oh my this whole post is heavenly delicious!!!!! oh my such good ideas for x-mas presents!!! have a great week! twiggs

• Reply Moniek December 19, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Wauw, you can call it hidden secrets.

• Reply Alison Gibbs December 19, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what a great looking market.
    So many amazing treasures.
    Thanks for sharing it with us

• Reply Me And Boo December 19, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I was sooooo excited when Finders Keepers finally made it to Melbourne after having read about it online and feeling very envious that these other states in Aus had been lucky enough to have one. It was great! This one looks fab in that lovely building. I am lucky enough to own a couple of pieces by The Storybook Rabbit, (her bunny plates and brooches are pictured). It’s one of my favs.
    ps – I like your speech bubble comments, heehee! (especially the puppy one!)

• Reply Caroline December 19, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Great post – i wasn’t able to get to finders keepers so really enjoyed seeing the photos. So many wonderful ideas for Christmas. Love the bottle-vases, very yummy. Yes please santa!

• Reply Emma December 20, 2010 at 3:12 am

LOVE finders keepers – I too went to the recent Melbourne one and it is amazing. Can’t wait for the next one. Please come to Australia Holly! Would love one of your new books personally signed by you :)

• Reply Paul December 20, 2010 at 3:55 am

That baby deer is timeless.

• Reply Glenda Childers December 20, 2010 at 4:51 am

I loved your description . . . “like a giant Anthropologie.” . . . You can never have too much of that.

Merry Christmas, Hollie and Thorsten.

• Reply hearttypat December 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

we need these visual treats in Singapore!

• Reply Rory December 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Looks like a cool little market, if I’m ever in Sydney I’ll definitely check it out.
    Its my first time on your site, you have some great posts well done!

• Reply carol December 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Finders Keepers is one of the best in the city, it not what you would expect to see in a US flea market, it has a very unusal layout for this type of thing but my family has always come home with piles of one of a kind stuff that you cannot find anywhere. I recommend it for anyone visiting the city.

• Reply desicloe December 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Wow! How many beautiful pictures! I’d really like to have something like this here in Rome! I love the bottles and frames in particular way :)

• Reply Thea December 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

The frames are so divine. I would love to hang a series of black and whites using these frames. Gorgeous photography by Jillian!

• Reply hena tayeb December 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

oh wow so much eye candy.. the market looks amazing.. i could just imagine spending hours on end drooling over all these goodies..

• Reply Marie December 20, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I was so sad I had to leave Sydney before getting my final Finders Keepers hit. It’s such a great market and The Carriage Works building is so inspiring

• Reply Jesica Brennan December 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I can’t believe I missed this! I’m out of town nearly every weekend, but that weekend I was definitely around Sydney, so upsetting =(
    Thanks for all of the great photos.

• Reply Alice June 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Agh – I agree, live in Sydney and didn’t know about this – next time I’ll be there for sure – thanks so much for spreading the news

• Reply sylvie boudeau November 19, 2014 at 7:58 am

quel magnifique endroit j’aime beaucoup !
    just beautiful !