Nesting

Nesting is a new interiors book published in Sweden and calls itself, “The Scandinavian version of The Selby,” and was shot by photographer Pia Ulin who collaborated with Swedish author and stylist Cilla Ramnek. It features 26 homes shot over a period of 7 years, all homes were “barely” styled so what you see is what you get…

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

Nesting Book

I was talking to someone lately who advised me to stop writing about decorating books until after the launch of my own, that I should not direct my readers to other books to purchase when I myself have a title coming out soon. Hmmm. While I understand where she was coming from and respect her business opinion immensely, I do not share this view. In fact, I walked away from that conversation feeling a bit flat because I simply do not believe in keeping it all to myself. I believe in sharing the wonderful talent that exists out there, which is why I will continue to praise and review the many beautiful decorating books currently on the market and those that will come, including my own.

I’m proud of all of us who are out there taking risks, making things, writing stuff, publishing in unstable environments, opening new stores, starting new blogs — we’re all part of this community and as long as people show respect for the work of others and play by the rules, we can all exist together just fine — in fact, we can all help one another to flourish. What comes around goes around anyway, right? The day that I stop praising others then my work will officially be boring and worthless to me because I could never get through to the next day without encouraging and raising others up today.

And with that, I will continue to review books that inspire me now and for months and perhaps even years to come, like Nesting — peeks into this lovely book are shown above. If you like what you see you may purchase it at Swedish bookseller Papercut. Enjoy!

(images: pia ulin)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on December 23, 2010

1. michelle commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:07pm

Holly, you are just as sweet as you can be and I’m glad you feel that way. We come here every day because you have so many great things to share. Besides, I don’t believe there is a finite amount of success available in the world. Reviewing, supporting, promoting someone else’s work doesn’t mean there will be less interest out there for your own work.

This book looks gorgeous though I have to say I find it really hard to believe the homes are “barely styled”.
    michelle´s last blog post ..This Post is NOT Christmas Related

2. decor8 commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:09pm

@Michelle – Aw thanks sweetie. You too. I hope we can meet up again this Spring/Summer when I’m back in NYC. When I have the dates I will let you know. I’d love to see you again!!!!

3. Coco commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:09pm

Good for you Holly! I think its even more important for your reputation to keep up these reviews about other (decorating) books. It shows that you’re really interested in these type of books, and that is worth to buy yours because your book taste is GOOD ;-)

I’m not a business woman but i had kinda this same conversation with a friend of mine. And she felt the same way: if you run a business its not your job to make others in your field of business look bad. Your only job should be to run your business the best way YOU can do. If others inspire you: show that. But don’t show how bad others do it… it makes you look bad as well… like you can’t do it without showing off how much better you are… Yuck… everybody hates that! ;)

4. JoAnn commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:12pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you — there is no reason why your book cannot share the spotlight with all of the other lovely inspiration out there. In fact, I imagine that looking at and sharing others’ work makes yours even better! I love the inspirational photos from Nesting — as a former merchandiser, I most appreciate the great bedside denim display. Makes getting dressed each morning easy! Thank you for always inspiring me…with both your work and that of others!
    xo,
    JoAnn
    JoAnn´s last blog post ..cherished traditions with the brooklyn contessa

5. michelle commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:16pm

definitely!! and maybe in a more relaxed setting & where there is no tab involved :)
    michelle´s last blog post ..This Post is NOT Christmas Related

6. Kelly commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:17pm

I much prefer to believe in Abundance.
    Kelly´s last blog post ..reverb10 December 8 Prompt- Beautifully Different

7. Inge commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:21pm

You are absolutely right and so well said :)
    Inge´s last blog post ..Finally- some sketches

8. decor8 commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:22pm

@Michelle – Yes, we can do a nice lunch or dinner together!

9. michelle commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:25pm

@Kelly said what I was trying to say much more eloquently :)
    michelle´s last blog post ..This Post is NOT Christmas Related

10. Ylva commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 8:32pm

looks just lovely!! Being swedish and addicted to interior decorating magazines I recognize som of the pics. Still looks very interesting and inspiring and I will absolutely get this book (and yours too once it is released…)
    /Ylva

11. karina commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 9:17pm

I understand what that person told you but life that way is so uninteresting, and yes it is flat.
    Thanks for your constant inspiration that is a lot more that how to decor my home or write a decent blog.
    karina´s last blog post ..Merry Christmas-Felices Fiestas

12. Sanja commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 10:41pm

I love these real, reflective thoughts. I am delighted on a regular basis by the way You think and the kindness of Your personality. Happy holidays!

13. Jan Santos commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 11:40pm

This is an illustration of the Scarcity vs. Abundance Mentality…whether a person sees life as having only so much of “the pie”, so you need to be stingy and get what you can before it’s taken by another, or whether you believe there is enough for everyone to have all that they need and so you can be generous with others in all that you have and do. I much prefer to believe in Abundance.

14. jenn commented
    December 23rd, 2010 at 11:58pm

Well that’s an interesting perspective! I enjoy reading your book reviews … and I’m super excited for your book’s arrival! Thanks for still sharing great new books with us :)
    jenn´s last blog post ..create sparkly gift tags

15. Monica commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 10:07am

And what a perfect post for the Holidays! Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Monica´s last blog post ..Happy Holidays

16. Glenda Childers commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 10:18am

You taught this generosity so well in your class, Blogging Your Way. I learned so much, but this was my favorite . . . be generous to others.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Merry Christmas

17. Marianne commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 10:35am

Very well said indeed!

It also shows how much respect you have for your readers and followers. I recently read an article on how people of “great” blogs so often forget that a part of their success comes from the people that follow their on blog on a day to day basis. You never do and you are not shy to let “us” know. I love that!

Schöne und Friedvolle Weihnachten!
    Marianne´s last blog post ..merry christmas

18. decor8 commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 1:23pm

@Marianne – Oh my gosh you are SO RIGHT. The support of readers tuning in and taking time to spread the word and show that they value a certain blog they enjoy MEANS SO MUCH. Of course, the blog author needs to offer something exceptional and/or unique to begin with to attract readers — but in the end, it’s the READERS who MATTER the most — at least to me. I think that this is in all fields where people can potentially attract fans – writers, artists, actors, musicians, etc. Sure, they need to have the talent and put it out there but without the fans none of us would go very far at all.

19. Sheila Germain commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 2:40pm

I am a business woman Holly and I too disagree with the view that you should only promote your work if you have an impending title. I would much rather direct my clients somewhere else if I cannot help them – they still come back to me. When we really care about our businesses and the world it inhabits we want everyone to enjoy it as much as we do and it that means telling them about our “competitors” then great. Keep feeling the love!!

20. decor8 commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 4:22pm

@Sheila – Right on, my thoughts too!

21. Anke commented
    December 24th, 2010 at 11:08pm

I think you’re right, and I think it’s wonderful to have this attitude that there’s an abundance of opportunities instead of being scared that everything is threatening and limited and that you need to protect yourself at all times. In the end, the more generous you are, the more you’ll have.

Posting about wonderful interiors books will probably make people more excited about this sort of book and even if they buy a few others they will buy yours, too. :D

22. Anna @ D16 commented
    December 26th, 2010 at 5:47pm

What weird advice! Your blog is grounded in your ability to curate and share the things that are of interest to you — that’s the reason why people will want to buy your book!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about Nesting. I’m a big fan of both Cilla and Pia, so this is now on my must-have list. :)

23. decor8 commented
    December 26th, 2010 at 8:39pm

@Anna – Yeah it’s weird to us “indie” types but in the business world people are quite competitive and geared more towards “steam rolling” over people vs. helping to support and promote the work of others within their own field. I recall the corporate days, you mash faces to climb to the top – discredit others’ work, lie, take credit for their work when you didn’t do it, oh I things I saw in that world made me uncomfortable and each day I went to work with this odd feeling inside. A boss once told me, “You’ll never get ahead if you don’t start pushing the others to the side and make your way forward.” Advice like that came far too often, I couldn’t relate to it, so here I am out on my own. There are still politics and often odd things to deal with in the blogging universe because some are ultra competitive behind-the-scenes but mostly the success of each of us depends on our ability to play nice. It is funny though when people who are not in this online world advise me to do this or that when it comes to my business. I listen respectfully but often I feel like what works in the real world just doesn’t work at all in the virtual one — because although we are all very much real people we communicate so much differently online than we do in real life.

24. riye commented
    December 27th, 2010 at 7:03pm

I’m with you Holly. I could bad mouth other artists and their work but why bother when I could be talking about work that I really like? Even if it doesn’t help sell/promote your own work you’re still contributing to excitement about the field you’re working in and that’s good for everyone. You’re helping people get themselves noticed and bringing them to the attention to people who are interested in what they are offering. “Good” business does not have to be all about cutting down others and elbowing each other to get ahead–that’s the kind of dated thinking that kills companies and people when times get hard. And hey, I’m an MBA so I should know right? (ha ha) Happy new year to you.

25. Eva commented
    December 28th, 2010 at 6:51pm

Thank you not only for the beautiful post but for continuing to share and your inspirational and positive words.
    Eva´s last blog post ..Merry Christmas!

26. kalanicut commented
    January 3rd, 2011 at 7:47am

Holly, what a great abundant attitude – there is enough good to go around for all of us. That is one of the things I most liked about your class and teaching philosophy – it was so generous.

I appreciate that you don’t feel a need to act with scarcity about your ideas, philosophies or talents. I think that will only bring more abundance to you.

Happy New Year and warmest wishes,
    Kalani
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Twas The Week After Christmas

27. Fancy! New Zealand Design Blog commented
    January 7th, 2011 at 10:40pm

ooh I want this book!

Have you seen the mook (magazine/book) called ‘SPACES’ by Frankie Magazine? Frankie is a very cool indie-style magazine from Australia, but read and loved all over the world, and they produce coffee table books every so often. No, I’m not selling it – heehee – just think you would probably love it. (Just Google Frankie Spaces book…?)
    Fancy! New Zealand Design Blog´s last blog post ..Another edition of Fancy Loves