uncategorized

Let Us Hope

January 5, 2011

Well hello there lovely people in blogland, how are ya? Happy 2011! I can’t believe we’re here, we just stepped through the door into a new year and I’m ready to rock ‘n roll though I had a slow start thanks to so many late nights – my schedule is totally out of sync and though I’ve not traveled lately, I feel jet-lagged from running 100 miles an hour in December only to face a week of vacation where I did absolutely nothing for 7 days. I fell completely out of my normal routine. How about you? Are you fired up for a new year, getting a slow start, or?

Let Us Hope

I heard some of my friends reporting that they now need a vacation after Christmas vacation. What is with that anyway? I usually need a vacation after a vacation but a vacation after Christmas vacation, well that seems to be on the mind’s of many lately because the season seems to be an awful lot of work, doesn’t it? And for those of us who freelance, lots of our money comes in December so many are working day and night the entire month so when the 1st of January comes, there is this huge crash that can be seen and felt — especially here online where most of us pool together in our communities to wax on about our crazy freelance and/or creative careers and how horrible December really was. If you are one who needs a break after the holidays, then go ahead and please, give yourself some down time now (while you can) because I think the first few weeks of January allow for a little goofing off. Give yourself a few Fridays off and you’ll soon be back to your normal self. At least I hope… Which brings me to the whole theme of this post: HOPE.

What is so great about a new year anyway? Why does everyone get so excited about a new year, a clean slate, a fresh beginning? I mean, really…. All this clean slate stuff simply translates to is working our butts off for the next 12 months to fill the slate. Well my friends, it’s all rooted in HOPE and that what is a drug of choice for me. Count me in, I’m a user of hope (in healthy doses) and love it.

Hope is great, addicting even, and I’ll tell you why. If you have hope, you have everything. You have something to live for, things to look forward, the golden WHAT IF. You hope you will find your prince charming, you hope you will lose 10 pounds, you hope your boss will give you a promotion…. And then you set your mind on these things that you’re hoping for and start to carve out ideas, plans, goals, that just might turn your hopes into a reality. For me, sometimes just that feeling of hope is enough as so often when dreams become a reality, you’re not nearly as impressed or amazed as you thought you would be — that whole hoping part actually felt better than that whole reality part.

HOPE is good stuff. The feeling of it and the looking forward to part of it along with the what if, just maybe, and quite possibly bits… All of it is magic.

Hope can mean, “To look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.” It can also be, “To feel that something desired may happen” and “A feeling of desire for something and confidence in the possibility of its fulfillment.”

That is why hope is good and that is why I am inspiring you today to jump on the I HOPE bandwagon along with me for the month of January and write down what you HOPE will happen to you this year and then get your rear in gear and try to make a few of those things happen for yourself. Realize though that some of those things simply won’t happen — but hope anyway because the feeling alone can give you quite the buzz you need to press on.

I think this image from TineKHome, showing us a teaser of her upcoming Spring collection, is a hopeful image. It’s clean, airy… and hopeful. It welcomes you to think about the what if. When I look at this image I hope of what Spring may bring, what Summer may feel like, how Fall may turn out and Winter, well let’s not talk about winter. I’m cold enough already.

Welcome to a new year! What do you hope for this year?

(tinekhome)

39 Comments

• Reply Ann January 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I am definitely getting a slow start in 2011! I still have kids home from college and my brother visiting, so my routine is not back to normal yet. Although, really, I’m hoping for something different than the norm this year. I have to decide how to remodel my house! And do it! I’m stuck in limbo-land unable to even decide on a sofa until I decide on which walls will go. My creativity has been almost non-existant this year and I’m thinking that getting it back is only going to happen by also, just doing it! So, here’s hoping for a Nike inspired year of getting things done.

• Reply Jeanne January 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Happy New Year Holly! I’m glad that you’re back. I’m HOPING to get my new product line finished and take it to NYC this month. That’s the HOPE for January…Cheers!

• Reply tinajo January 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wohoo – I´ve missed your posts! :-)

I love New Years/beginnings and my hopes for this year (besides the family being happy & healthy) is to get our home a little bit more done, to have a great vacation in april when we go to Fuerteventura – and that I get to the States this fall too… :-)

• Reply Christina @ greige and My Sparrow January 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

What a great post! Wishing you all the hope you can hold in the new year. This year I am embracing the idea of Taking Care of Business around here. Getting all those things I have been pushing to the side done and off my plate so that I can move onto the good stuff!!! I hope to travel this year and I hope that it will be a better year than last..

Best,
    Christina

• Reply dawn January 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Happy Hopeful New Year Holly,

I have been following you for years and this is my first time commenting…This past year was my most unpredictable in years…my daughter broke her shoulder (all recovered), I nearly lost my right index finger (it is steadily healing) and I met and married my ‘prince charming’ after patiently waiting over a decade. As a result, my work (interior design)took a back seat all year. Life is nothing without hope. My hope for the new year 1. NO accidents or injuries 2. Complete projects on our unfinished house 3. Grow my blog 4. Enjoy time with my new family… To look to the future with hope and a clean slate and keep wantings simple and pure fills me with great anticipation for what the year may hold!

Thanks for your ever inspiring blog…Cheers, Dawn

• Reply Danielle January 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Glad to see you back and nice to hear you had a lovely break! Happy New Year to you too! HOPE is good stuff…for sure!!!

• Reply ChristinaInAustralia January 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Yay, you’re back! Have a really good new year.

• Reply Chic Done Cheap January 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Right now I’m hoping for a happy and healthy 2011!

-Chic Done Cheap

• Reply Brigitte January 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Holly – I fear that my last comment (on your personal blog) was rife with desperation. I was feeling such a sense of overwhelm; I couldn’t stand it.

But I woke up on New Year’s Day with this deep sense of calm. It’s so cheesy, but there it is. My focus this year is on making it happen. I have such big plans for the year, and I know I can do it!

I am absolutely filled with desire and confidence…all I need is a little bit of focus sprinkled into my helping of hope.

• Reply decor8 January 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

@Brigitte – No, not at all. Plus, we all have a right to feeling like rubbish now and then. I was going through a period of the blues from January 1-3, I felt this huge dark cloud over me, but then something clicked in my head when I got an email last night from my friend Leslie, she sent photos from her recent travels, and they inspired me so much. And now today, the gray skies have vanished outside and there is tons of sunshine and it’s 4:19 and still light outside – usually it is pitch black by 4pm each day so I’m not sure what happened but my spirits are back. But seriously Brigette, I totally 100% understand feelings of being overwhelmed as I experienced tons of those moments last year on my book project. Some days I didn’t know how I was going to get through. But then, there is hope…. that light flickering…. and all is good again.

• Reply nathalie January 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

dear Holly, I wish you and your love ones a beautiful year 2011 full of magic and an abundance of inspiration. i know that my year will be filled with beauty while coming here to visit and i can only thank you :) i am hoping for my deepest dream to unfurl further this year ! love, nathalie x

• Reply Punctuation Mark January 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love this post! hope is that thing that keeps us moving through the tough times and i’ve gotten a huge dose over the past couple of years… for 2011 i hope we all get those things that make our lives better like health, work and friends… have a great 2011 and hope your slate gets filled with all the great things you do!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Ah….hope. It is magic, isn’t it? I don’t know what I would do without it…you have to always keep it in your heart. I feel like I have been through enough to know that with time? Everything truly does get better….even the worst stuff, things get better & hope is a partner to that, I think. Here is what I hope for this year: to finally get back into the shape I feel the best in( for me) to somehow make this blog thing( that I love) be a career, to keep being a good mom to my girls, to go on some fun & restorative trips, to do more voice over gigs, for my hubby’s film to be a big success ( he deserves it) and to be happy. Now, I think most of those are totally doable? Right? :) What about you darlin?
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose January 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

What a great post, Holly! I too had a rather whirl wind day of travel followed by many days of doing not a whole lot. But it was blissfully lovely!

• Reply jenn January 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Welcome back! I love this post … it echos exactly what I’m feeling. I woke up to a new year filled with so much hope that the year is gonna be awesome. My main hope is that a bunch of crazy weird logistics in my life would work themselves out to leave me more time during that day/week to do what I love. And, with that hope, I’m already working on making things happen. I love that feeling :).

• Reply Brigitte January 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thanks, Holly, for your follow up comments. Now that we’re past the solstice, and the days steadily lengthen, it’s a little easier to hope.

• Reply Erin - The Smallest Sparrow January 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Welcome back! Happy 2011 to you too!

Love this post. Hope is a great word and one I’ll give some good thought to. I have lots of hopes and dreams for 2011 but mostly I just hope for health and happiness for my family and friends. And lots of time for blog reading, of course!

• Reply Karena January 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hollly wonderful thoughts! I am off and running!! Still many ideas I want to put into place for the new year!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

• Reply a beautiful mission January 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I LOVE it! I’m all about HOPE these days. I’ve been reading some fantastic books dealing with some of the darkest things going on in our world. (ie: Not for Sale, by David Batstone is about Human Trafficking.) I’ve found that looking for BEAUTY in the world (like the lovely photo above) brings HOPE. Hope that the world can be beautiful. That humans have the potential to create beautiful things and treat each other beautifully.

I’ve REALLY enjoyed your blog for a few years.. and this is my first time posting! Happy New Year!

• Reply laura evans January 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm

easy … i hope for a happy healthy son! happy new year chica. xx

• Reply Marianne January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Your post is very inspirational. Last year my word was courage, i decided that I needed to show some courage after my mom died in January. Now that the first year has passed, I need to look towards the future. Hope is the right word!

• Reply Sara January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Thanks for the GREAT post!!

I am hoping…really hoping, that I can finally turn my idea/dream of starting my own decorating consulting business into a reality! I am also hoping that it will at some point be profitable ;). I have to tell you, Holly…it is YOUR blog, your spririt, your attitude, your encouragement to all of your readers to follow their creative minds and hearts, and your positivity that has helped me reach the point where I am ready to work hard to turn my ideas into reality and learn a ton through the process! (I’m, hoping, too, that I can finally get my husband on board with this plan!)

One last thing…I’m hoping our planned summer in Germany with my husband’s job (in Heidelberg) works out. I can think of no better experience for my family and design inspiration for me, than to spend at least a little bit of time living abroad and traveling!! Woo-hoo!!

• Reply Rona January 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Hi Holly

What a fab post! I love the start of a new year, spending time reviewing the previous 12 months, looking at what worked and what could be improved upon.

I’m hoping for lots of things this year…including hoping to be able to take beautiful photos by learning how to use my new digital camera (by going on a photography course in Feb), developing my blog (thanks to you great BYW e-course at the end of last year) and learning more about the wonderful blogging community!

Wishing you a very successful New Year too Holly, especially the launch of your book in the UK this spring! Do let me know if you’re planning on a bloggers meet-up in London. Would be lovely to meet you.

Very best wishes
    Rona

• Reply Monica January 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Hello right back at you! So nice to find you in my reader again. Day 5 of 2011 is almost over and I am still trying to find my routine. I am a little all over the place, but then again I have a tendency for that.
    Hope is a wonderful mantra to reaffirm at the start of a new year . Without hope, well we are left with despair and that is not an option for a good life. You are right on!
    I hope to be a little less all over the place, a little less hectic, truly appreciate the company of my loved ones, and a bit more more organized.

• Reply samantha hahn January 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Holly, I hope for an exciting year professionally and creatively. I want to work on projects I love for people I love. I also want to spend a lot of time with family and friends. I definitely need to re-evaluate how I spend my time. Right now it feels like I never stop working. I hope to get more efficient so that I can have some down time too.

XOXOXOX— happy new year!!
    Sam

• Reply kalanicut January 5, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I’m totally on board with the hope. I am usually pretty good about that but last year was a toughy that took a toll on my normally cheery outlook. But I’m making a conscious effort to bounce back and see the good, feel the good and be the good as much as possible. Sometimes it really take work. Thanks so much for your inspiring post and the cheer and goodwill you so freely share. You’re a pretty light in this big old world of ours. Warmest wishes.

• Reply Dagmarette January 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Hoping to take life less seriously!

• Reply Laura Gaskill January 6, 2011 at 12:48 am

Hope is so essential! Okay, I feel like a total nerd right now, but this is making me think of the Lord of the Rings, those little Hobbits on their big mission always kept hope in their hearts even though all of the odds were stacked against them…but really it IS so important for all of us, it’s what keeps us going!

To be honest, lately I have been feeling really swamped by my new role as a Mama, staying at home with my little one – and hubby has a new job in Boston (we are in Providence) so he is gone 12+ hours each day, plus I recently started taking design courses in the evenings and I blog daily, so life has been a real challenge lately – full and wonderful, but also a challenge! This year I made a “32 before Thirty-two” list instead of making other goals or resolutions – big and small, they are all things I HOPE to accomplish/try/create this year. Making that list really helped me put on the rose-colored glasses and see the bright side of my year ahead, all of the potential for fun and creativity and growth.

Whew! Sorry for rambling :) Happy New Year, Holly! xo Laura

• Reply Monica Lee January 6, 2011 at 1:35 am

Oh Holly! A perfect word for a new year! I think of the biblical phrase “be a prisoner of HOPE!” Not a prisoner of sorrow, or greed, or anger but of HOPE! There are so many emotions that can imprison us…this is the best emotion to have!

• Reply Desha January 6, 2011 at 3:02 am

so glad you’re back! i had a long holiday, and actually glad to be working again. the year has started off great, and my hope is that it continues. my hope is that THIS is the year which my dreams and aspirations take hold and blossom into something more beautiful than I can even fathom. i am FULL of HOPE.

• Reply Simone Walsh January 6, 2011 at 4:20 am

Well I’m hoping that health stuff is better for myself and my family and friends after a festive season filled with health issues from the less serious (bronchitis for me) to the extremely serious (my cousin had a heart attack and my father had the symptoms of a stroke, but we’re still not sure what it was) through to the devastating (the accidental death of a lovely and inspiring man I used to work with). So right now all of that is in focus in a very big way.

Aside from that – but also related – is having a more sustainable business, particularly in terms of my own physical and mental health. I plan on taking more time out for doing personal things which have nothing to do with my work. It’s a big priority to sort that out this year!

• Reply Sheila Germain January 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

Welcome back Holly – Like many of your readers I too have a my busiest time November/December and things have been particularly difficult due to the terrible weather we have been having in this part of the UK – w’ere not good at snow here! But I love the start of a new year it gives me time to think about what I have or have not achieved and what I want to do in the following year. That down time is great. We pack our skiing equipment and head for the mountains – it lifts the spirit and makes that hope a solid achievable thing.

• Reply Wrenaissance Art January 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

In my life, I have found that hope must be combined with determination if dreams are to come true! :-)

• Reply bussbuss January 7, 2011 at 12:06 am

LOVE this post, as I’m wrestling with getting back to the blogging/writing routine and pursuing new hopeful opportunities. I hope you have the best year (can’t wait to read your book and continue reading about your inspiring adventures here!).

• Reply katrin January 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Dear Holly,
    I wish you a happy healthy and holy (in terms of whole AND holy) new year!
    In 2010 I became a Kundalini-Yoga-teacher – which enriches my life and the fresh new year 2011 a lot – and is a nice 2nd little income to a self-employed designer…). A quote of Yogi Bhajan, the master of Kundalini Yoga is: ” Hope is the sexiest thing in the world”. Quiet down to earth, this one…but it`s true! Hope gives us rosy cheeks, awakens our inner child, helps us leaving the doubts behind….so good!
    Hope always remains :)
    Thank you for our inspiration in 2010.
    Blessings, KATRIN

• Reply Marija January 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I hope to graduate on time this March and find a job that I will enjoy (not so much on the money, though I don’t really think about that). I hope to get into graduate school too and do a bit of traveling. December was just slow and I am welcoming the avalanche of schoolwork when it finally came. Oh, thesis!

• Reply Leslie Dapper January 11, 2011 at 4:20 am

Thanks Holly for some Hope! I am brand new at blogging. I am at a major transition with work. I worked for an interior design firm for 17 years and am hoping to finally start my own interior design business. About time right?
    So, here’s to hoping all my plan work.
    Leslie

• Reply Laura January 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm

We hope to finish decorating our home (with help from your inspiration! :-) )

We’ved moved in more than a year ago but it takes awhile and we are still missing many finishing touches, especially on the walls.

Kiddies are now back at kindergarten after the holidays, so finally have a bit more time!

Alles gute,
    Laura

• Reply jay January 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am not surprised you started 2011 slowly – running 100 miles an hour would be enough to tire anyone out! :)

Hope sounds like a good plan for keeping 2011 running smoothly, thanks for sharing your inspiration, I will be back for more!

Kind regards, J