Color Inspiration

Color Inspiration From Sweden

January 14, 2011

I think we could all use a little color inspiration today! I’m already seeing it in stores here, but mostly in pastel tones for Easter. I’m thinking we turn up the volume this year and make the pastel-filled Easter a bit more graphic and strong. Perhaps mix your pastels with some stronger shades of the same hue (pale yellow with mustard, for instance, adding in some black for strength). These colorful rooms from Swedish magazine Skona Hem may spark some ideas for you.

Color Inspiration From Sweden

Color Inspiration From Sweden

Color Inspiration From Sweden

Do any of these looks excite you? Spot any corners that you’d like to try at home this Spring?

(images: skona hem)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Sarah Gunn January 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a great way to start my day on this dreary winter morning! I love Swedish inspired design; tt makes me want to hop on a plane and move back there.

• Reply rowena January 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I’m really feeling drawn to the bolder, darker colors lately. I’m feeling whited out, I think. Or maybe I’ve always liked the darker shades, and the whitewhitewhite was just a phase for me? Pastels have never done it for me.

• Reply anthonie January 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Simply beautiful. I’ll like it for my home.

• Reply laura trevey January 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Love the color burst of yellow and pink ~ spring is around the corner!

• Reply Julie January 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love the upper right picture of the mostly white living room with this huge green picture at the wall. It’s such an eyecatcher without demolishing the feeling of the room. Also the picture down right with this bright pink wall – looks amazing albeit a bit too much for actually realizing something like that in my own home.

I’m actually myself in a kind of search for the best look in our home. We’re living there for half a year now and most of the work is basically done – but there’s still some spots where I’m not really content with.

And now that the winter seems to have abandoned the snow here in Germany, some colour is really needed. I’m already looking so much forward to spring!

• Reply Sally January 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm

The blue and white diamond wallpaper is amazing! It looks so classic, I love! :)

• Reply tinajo January 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love it – but then I´m swedish, so maybe it comes in my blood! :-D

• Reply cecilia January 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

These colors (because they are on trend) were the inspiration for my blog’s logo design – the 3 colors – peacock blue, chartreuse green and a hot-muddied pink.

My girlfriend, who lives in London, told me after she saw the colors on the blog, that the Prada store windows had mannequins dressed in bright (toned-down) neons and each one had peacock socks with heels on.

Good Eye ;)!

• Reply Marcela January 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Love the colors ! :)

• Reply Margarida January 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

From Sweden with a portuguese accent :-) on the last set of pictures.

• Reply Ele January 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve never liked pastels, so Easter decor isn’t usually to my taste. Love mustard though, and lately, the pairing of it with lots of moody blues. The image above (yellow pegs on the blue wall) is lovely!

• Reply karen @ our slo house January 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I love the entomology prints. Insects are always so beautiful.

• Reply Carolyn January 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Well… I’m in love with the wooden head board in the first picture. I wish I was brave enough to use the acid yellow in the top right corner, but perhaps go for something a little more mustard and warm to start with. :) Thanks for the ideas.

• Reply Liz January 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Oh! I love strong whites with bright colors! Rooms like that just make me happy and energetic! (So needed this time of year with our 8 hours of cloudy sunshine.)

Love the picture! Thanks

• Reply Cathy January 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This is exactly what I needed on a dreary winter day! I love the rooms with the pops of color as well as the contrast between the royal blue and white.

• Reply Christine January 14, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Gorgeous. There is something about chilly weather that makes me crave COLOUR – especially bright pink and yellow!

• Reply Leigha January 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Gorgeous Holly! I love the color of the last image – very ‘Honeysuckle’ (the 2011 Pantone Color of the year!).

Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Charlotta {} January 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I recently discovered your blog. I love the design and the content. Thank you for a the inspiration!

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose January 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm

So many great ideas! I love the display with the butterflies all over it. It’s a perfect disruption.

• Reply Beth January 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Absolutely gorgeous. I’m really feeling the Swedish inspired design. We’ve moved into my husbands old (over 100 years) family home. It’s in need of some light! So I’m going to run with the beautiful Swedish design inspirations! Thank you for the images and all the links to such beautiful sites!

• Reply Stevie-Lyn January 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Love them all, but in particular, the last bottom-left photo with the teacups. I love the use of gray for the base, and then sprucing it up with bright colors!

• Reply sarah January 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh Spring hurry up and get here! I am so into the crate trend right now so I have to say I love the teacup image as well as the frilly fun skirt on the upholstered chair. Too cute! Thanks for sharing

• Reply kalanicut January 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I like the color bursts. I like mixing the hues up a bit that gives me a broader palette to work with on a couple of home projects right now. That’s exciting. Thanks for opening up my mind set a bit today! Have a great weekend.

• Reply shannon January 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

love all the small and large bursts of color!

• Reply Gem January 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Absolutely adore the sunshine yellow cabinet; I’m hoping to expand into reworking vintage furniture later this year and these are just the kind of colour palettes that inspire me. Thanks so much for showing off these wonderful schemes!

• Reply ARTiculateART January 15, 2011 at 5:50 am

Love the way they match the rooms! I especially love the room with the purple and yellow (the first picture on the top left corner) and I’m not even a yellow person!

• Reply Nuttula January 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi, love some color for the change! I especially love blue tones. Can I ask you how to find those little things to put cards on my wall (like in the pic “Sky, ocean, blueberries…”? I have searched for them for ages, I don’t know how they are called in English. They would be so handy. Thanks!

• Reply betty January 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

a splash of color is always fun!
    greats ideas! thanx.

• Reply Camilla January 15, 2011 at 11:58 am

yellow and pink are so lovely together…. Good taste! ;)

• Reply margaret January 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm

These are so cheerful. they do make me want to find places in my house for those intense pinks and yellows!

• Reply margaret January 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I really like all these lovely interiors, and the cheerful tea cups. In particular I’d really like to pet some bright yellow and pink in my house!

• Reply margaret January 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm

oops, I guess i have not mastered commenting…

• Reply YannPendaries January 16, 2011 at 1:30 am

I just discovered your blog and love your selections, where the art of home decor is very well represented bravo

• Reply Eva January 16, 2011 at 3:19 am

All of these photos are fantastic and so inspiring! So much beautiful color and unique arrangements!

• Reply Lisa - An Illustrator's Life in London January 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Love all of them!! Swedish interior design is the best in the world! :)

• Reply Somnia January 17, 2011 at 7:42 am

Hej Holly!

Is so exciting look this pictures from Sweden! Actually is pretty easy for me recognise that is swedish decoration… after 4 years all this atmosphere, clean but on the same time so warm, is very familiar for me!

I loved the pink room! but the second picture, the white room with the yellow painting, remember me my friends house, ikea decoration and my ex house there…

see you!

• Reply D'Homez January 17, 2011 at 9:11 am

Lovely, beautiful, outstanding. Love the Sky, Ocean, Blueberries. It will transform your home into something cool and calm place which would always give you positive vibes.

• Reply ana January 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Although I find all the solutions interesting, I love the mirror on the blue wall with the door knobs to hold jewelry.

• Reply Casa e Cose January 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm

oh those red velvet armchairs! And the yellow – how up lifting!

• Reply currystrumpet February 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

These colors are so fun! I just moved into a new apartment and I’m really excited to fix it up. Most of my furniture is white and natural wood and I’m torn between a bold yellow or a strong cobalt blue for my accent. I have no idea how to choose!

• Reply Suma May 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

These are really inspiring. This is an amazing find. Thank you.