Decorating Tips

Photographer Emily Anderson

January 18, 2011

I found some lovely interiors that have clean lines and are quite organized to inspire you today. Or perhaps I’m hoping to become inspired by them after spending 6 hours organizing the front four rooms of our apartment and it feels like the mess has only just begun! These gorgeous photographs are from the portfolio of photographer Emily Anderson, who specializes in weddings, and is based in New York City and will travel the world for her clients. I invite you to visit her site and see her many photos for yourself.

Photographer Emily Anderson

We have a floor-through unit in the city, it is around 2,300 square feet, with four rooms in the front, two in the middle along with two bathrooms and two small rooms for storage (one is my laundry closet), and three rooms in the back but that’s not all, there are also two wintergartens (three season porches you would call them in the states) and a balcony. I haven’t lived in a place this large since I was with my parents so I don’t know what to do exactly with all of this space yet but I’m sure I’ll get my groove on and figure it all out soon enough. I’m an expert at organizing small spaces and 1 bedroom apartments but I feel a bit like a goldfish in the ocean in here and I’m not sure exactly where to begin because there are so many rooms and options for storing things. But so far, so good — I am doing well and making progress. My new sofa arrived today after waiting for three months. Now I have to hunt for a sofa table. The sofa is a lovely color, it’s grey-brown and a very modern with slim metal legs — I’m happy with it. My husband and I selected it together, which was important to me that we make design decisions together in this space just as we did before in our New Hampshire home.

My white IKEA sofa is now in my sitting room, but I will retire it altogether when I find another to replace it because it was never meant to be with us for long and it isn’t good for my back. It was only used in our vacation apartment three months per year. I’m ready to let it go, it’s been good to us for three years but I’m ready to let someone else love it now. :)

Photographer Emily Anderson

What about you? Are you decorating or organizing your home lately? Are you seeing any changes in your color choices? I’m still a big fan of white, but I’m getting bored with my home looking like everyone else’s that I see these days so I want to be different and try some new ideas. I am feeling creative and ready to take on some new looks for my home while still being true to myself. And you? Where do you stand with your interiors lately? I believe that we evolve, and as we evolve, we have to allow our homes to evolve with us. Sure, you aren’t going to toss all of your furniture for a complete redux but you can work in some new pieces to reflect who you are today and that is often a good thing.

Remember to check out Emily Anderson’s site and I nearly forgot to tell you… she authors a lovely blog that you may enjoy browsing, too.
(images: emily anderson)

You Might Also Like

• Reply id rather be shopping January 18, 2011 at 11:41 pm

i’m with you on wanting to explore more color! just posted on john willey who is just phenomenal with color, pattern and texture…makes me want to redo everything! my apartment is a work in progress…i am SO SLOW at decorating…but part of the fun is finding pieces organically and seeing everything evolve gradually!

• Reply Soph January 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm

In 15 days we are settling on the first home I’ve ever bought, (after 21 different homes and 18 consecutive rentals). The house was built in the early 1980s but in a 1970s style with exposed brick, cathedral timber ceilings, and vast expanses of white plaster walls. I’m so excited about the prospect of making it ours that I’ve started documenting the process in a blog ( Inspiration is coming from many places. And happily a source is from you here. Thank you for what you’re doing. xS

• Reply Jacquelyn January 19, 2011 at 2:03 am

I’m looking forward to our new house this February! Am too excited that’s why i keep jumping around trying to make sure i made the best interior i can have in my new place. I like pastel colors basically because they made me feel more relaxed. It’s really cool to see maps perfect for wall arts. Really cool!

• Reply jessalyn January 19, 2011 at 2:22 am

I’m redoing our living room now. We ordered a modern L shaped sofa in a deep charcoal gray with thin silver legs and I have a tall book shelf arriving shaped like a ladder. I’ve never actually had a book shelf in our living room! The new colour scheme is black and white, but I’m leaving the walls the same gray/beige it’s always been. I’m so excited! I bought thick black curtains today and I love them, they look very sleek. Our bedroom is white and airy as is our nursery and kitchen so I’m excited to have a darker more sophisticated room underway!

• Reply Heather January 19, 2011 at 3:47 am

The new year is always a good time to get motivated to try new things! I have a few plans up my sleeve myself!

• Reply Emily January 19, 2011 at 4:00 am

I wish I could redo our place, but it’s a 1950’s bungalow with built-ins and a wall-o-panelling. Mid century is lovely, just not my style. I’d love to have something white, open and airy. I am going to paint my bedroom – one accent wall, but haven’t figured out what colour yet. Your blog and the ones you link to are always a huge inspiration… please keep up the awesome work!

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose January 19, 2011 at 4:15 am

I’m currently mid-evolution with my home. Massive closet organization is happening. But I think it’s totally refreshing to revamp spaces every so often.

• Reply Simple Dwellings January 19, 2011 at 4:23 am

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I love the modern chairs paired with the traditional style table in the first cluster of pictures! I am also finding my decor tastes changing. I am discovering a new love for wallpaper! I don’t have it anywhere in our house yet, and the foyer will be first! I’m inspired by large print wallpaper, and I think I might take the plunge! I would love for you to read my newest blog entry, where I posted some great new design inspirations. I’m totally new at this- only 2 weeks blogging, but I love it!

• Reply Shanon{MyFineGarden} January 19, 2011 at 5:17 am

We are in the process refinishing our basement (fortunately it gets lots of light) and I’m going against my natural inclination by focusing on neutrals. I always gravitate towards color– my house has blue walls, and green walls, and gold walls, and chocolate brown walls. But I’ve decided to take this new space and go a completely different route. The walls are creamy (a color called wicker) and grey (a mid to dark tone called olivewood, but doesn’t really read too green, like the name might actually suggest). The trim and the carpet are going to be light, and the bookcases and credenza will be a blonde birch wood, and I want to add some wooly grey flannel pillows. I’m going to really focus myself towards neutral, texture, and the natural environment and see what happens.

It seems like I’m actually in a different boat then you. One of us trying to escape color, while the other reaching out for it. I’m really curious how this will go for me, and if this new room will inspire me to change the rest of the house? Should be interesting!

• Reply debra January 19, 2011 at 8:48 am

We are renting at the moment, so I am desperate to do some face-lift work…but I know it might be a total waist of money on a rented apartment. I am loving mustard/yellow colours, also reds with a Spanish feel. Splashes of colour!but on the flip side, i find I am also veering toward black and grey!!! Enjoy your home and making it beautiful. I always say that a home should be one that exudes personal history/depth rather than fashion favourites. x

• Reply Meyer-Lavigne January 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

Here in Denmark people have gone crazy with wallpaper for a long time – on walls, furniture and ceilings. But we have had enough now. We are into colors – Kristine is in the middle of changing every room in her big apartment. She is going to plaint her walls in the living room elephant skin – color. It is going to look amazing.

• Reply Enna January 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’m into the color of the skies right now. Blue, white, grey’s with golden, yellow, orange, pink and purple strings. I think it would be pretty amazing to create an abstract sky-wall… something like that.

• Reply Anna January 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

I used to have lots and lots of colour in my rooms, but now I’ve painted almost every wall white. Really white. My accessoires are really colourful, lost of (nature) prints, so I guess it doesn’t hurt to have a clean base.

My advice: Just try out colours, you can almost paint them over! :)

• Reply Will January 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Yay! So pleased to see Emily featured on Decor8 as I’m a big fan of her work.

As for my interiors, Holly, well, you know me – I’m still a big fan of the ol’ colour! ;)

• Reply Jill Wignall January 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’m with you on getting bored of everyone’s homes looking so similar! I’ve got the wood floors, high ceilings and white walls but I want to try something new ~ I want to paint small select pictures in little nooks and cranies around the flat. I haven’t done it yet but i think it will really cheer the place.

• Reply ana January 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I’m also a white fan. I painted my new apartment in white, but my bedroom has a taupe wall behind the bed & in the guest room I choose aubergine which is really bold. Right now i’m negotiating the purchase of an old school armoire to use in the living room. I really hope they accept my price because i’m dreaming with the idea of having one for a long time.

• Reply Georgina Jacobs January 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Definitely still a fan of white. I think I can liven up my apartment with an injection of colour in a few places but I am not going to far with it. Here in London it has been a long winter and seeing the sun for the first time in a couple of weeks makes me appreciate colour so much more! I think a few bursts of colour will make a big difference when spring comes along.

• Reply Emily January 19, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my work, Holly! I’m so glad they can be a source of inspiration!

• Reply Shell January 20, 2011 at 12:52 am

I want to repaint two big dressers of mine that is way too brown for me. Need a big beautiful Queen size bed. I’m dreaming of a sleigh bed for me and my honey and my cat, Mabel.

• Reply bettina January 20, 2011 at 12:53 am

Very nice… beatiful,hermoso todo,te flicito,mis cariños,Bettina.

• Reply Orit January 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I always go for colors and prints. Just redo 4 couches I bought on the fly market, each in defferant color and print (birds, flowers, pink, turquoise etc…). LOVE the way it turned out. Thanks for asking!!