Decorating Tips, Fashion + Accessories

A Alicia + Styling Ideas

January 26, 2011

I was out in twitterland chirping from my nest when I heard a distant tweet from blogger Erin at Kind and learned about A Alicia Handmade. This eco fashion and home brand is small and sweet, and though I’m not turning into a fashion blogger anytime soon, I do love to share what inspires me outside of home decor from time to time because so much of this fuels my passion for interiors even more.

A Alicia + Styling Ideas

The things I see in the fashion world tend to creep into my home in other ways, for instance a skirt may inspire an idea that I have for a patterned shower curtain in my bathroom or the trim on a sweater makes me think of how I should add some trim to my guest towels. I would love to execute more of my creative ideas at home for this year, it is part of my resolve as the clock struck twelve on January 1st. So far, so good — I made a curtain for my office out of Liberty fabric and I am soon to wallpaper my hallway. I also bought a ton of beautiful beads from my last two trips to Morocco and Turkey and now they are displayed on gorgeous hooks on the wall because jewelry so beautiful shouldn’t be hidden away in a drawer and most of these necklaces I won’t wear on a daily basis (especially the large felted beads from the medina in Marrakesh).

Displaying fashion and accessories in the home is also a huge trend in styling and has been for a long time now. You must notice the occasional flowy dress hanging from a closet door or the beads on hooks in some of your favorite books and magazines? Of course, a handbag over a chair and high heels on the floor are common styling tricks of the trade as well.

Why?

Because they warm up interior photographs and bring a certain feeling of home to a shot. You frequently see these tricks more in magazines than in books though but they’re still there and if styled casually they can add warmth and life to a room. If styled perfectly however, they can make a shot seem lifeless because then the room looks like a catalog or the focus can be on the items and not the room, giving the appearance of a product shot.

You see, styling is an art just like anything else and though I do not consider myself an expert in this area I did learn quite a bit last year while I was traveling around styling rooms for my book. One thing I learned is that to make a room come to life — well, it requires a special awareness in my opinion at least — for instance, when you style a room for a book you have to not only think of the editorial angle but also what feeling you want to bring to the reader while still making sure that home reflects the personal style of its inhabitants. You have to consider the senses and how you can help the reader to tap in to some of them. Food stylists know the art of making the viewer’s mouth water because they introduce certain elements to a shot — steam, the bubbles in foam, drips, smears, all done expertly to make you crave what you see. You have to capture that same craving with the photos that you style for interiors — the viewer should want to live there.

But back to fashion and accessories to use in the home as decor. Yes, it’s a great idea and an affordable way to change up a room – your coat rack in the hallway, if better organized, could serve as a beautiful display of coats, bags and scarves in addition to providing a practical storage space. Why not pretty up functional storage areas in your home so that these otherwise mundane areas can look nice and inspire you?

Now back to the talented A Alicia. About A Alicia her bio says, “Anna Alicia took a round-about route to accessory design, via a degree in Art History at the University of Kent and an MA in Fine Art at Central St Martins, London. Her background in Art History and her practice as an artist play a huge role in inspiring her collections, as do the travels of her childhood, and the buzz of living and working in London. Alongside these influences, Anna Alicia also explores a fascination with historical craft and particularly Japanese craft and design. Ethical and environmental concerns are central to her collections – all A Alicia accessories are made by hand in Anna Alicia’s London studio, using fair trade organic cotton and vintage elements wherever possible. Far from finding it restrictive, Anna Alicia feels that working with limited materials inspires her to make the most of their possibilities.”

Psst: She has a second shop for wedding accessories and she is on Etsy.
(images: Anna Alicia)

You Might Also Like

28 Comments

• Reply Arianna January 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Great find Holly! I always find fashion and interiors kind of interrelate with one another. I love how fashion images are great for concepts when trying to recreate a room, you really can pull out so many ideas from a picture, the colours, textures….ect.

• Reply Casa e Cose January 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Just went to check her etsy shop and the dip dye cord necklace is super!

• Reply ANETTESHUS.COM January 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Just lovely!!

xo
    ANETTE:)

• Reply Rocio Rincon January 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this post, I really like the idea of inspiration coming from different sources. I love to get inspired by flowers and things in nature for my fashion illustrations. Inspiration can also come from anything, even from unexpected things like the ones you mentioned such as inspiration from fashion to interior design and vice versa. Love, Rocio

• Reply Ele January 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm

As someone who came from fashion to interiors, it’s a given that I love this styling look… it’s probably something I’d have adopted anyway, even if it hadn’t become such a trend. At the moment I like playing with displaying my jewelry, but once we have a bigger place I’d love to get creative with my vintage pieces, shoes, etc.

Oh, and I love those cushions, and the designer’s use of organic and vintage materials.

• Reply Sanja January 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I love using my jewellery in home decorating – such as my creative nook. It brings color and sparkle and texture and I love when I raise my head from work and see it. I can’t even begin to describe how much joy it gives me :)

• Reply Rachel January 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I really like what you are saying about using accessories in styling your home. I think that this is not only a way of styling your home but an important rule to live by! For so long I have been worried about an open coat rack that I have in my hall way. It is so cluttered and I have never known what to do with it. When I get home today, I am going to select some of my fashionable coats to display and stack colorful large boxes to store my things that I use from time to time (my snowboard bag, and fold away music stand). Thanks for the thoughts!

• Reply Danielle of Pretty Ingrid January 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Wow, the chunky beaded necklace looks amazing with a white tee. Her work is so striking and has such a warm quality. Thanks for sharing such a great find!

• Reply Katie Truelove January 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for sharing those thoughts and tips– I love your comparisons to food styling. It is so interesting to ponder what invokes feeling through a photo beyond simply color and focus.

• Reply Ana January 26, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This is amazing! I needed a bunch of ideas today!
    xx

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Oh, this is great….I love hearing tips like these and they are so inspirational hun. Thanks for this and now, I am off to check out her shops!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Nicole January 27, 2011 at 12:08 am

Great find! I’m always fascinated by creative people.
    And thanks for the styling tips. Very useful for the future :)

• Reply Rosalynn January 27, 2011 at 2:15 am

What an idea! I don’t really accessorize when I dress up. (huh? dress up? do I even do that?) But I think that idea of using necklaces and other fashion accessories to decorate the house is brilliant! Especially when you love ethnic stuff. Recently I’ve just started hanging some of my bags on hooks around the house. I should hang necklaces as well (not that I have many, mind you). Who knows, because they are readily available, I’ll be more motivated to wear them. haha…

Thanks for the inspiration, Holly! Absolutely brilliant!

• Reply Lori January 27, 2011 at 4:02 am

Love A.Alica’s work!

The idea of fashion intersecting with interior design is a natural. I have been thinking about using lace or crochet in a contemporary way for a line of cushions.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    ps. huge fan of the blog – long time admirer – first time commenter

• Reply debra January 27, 2011 at 7:34 am

Thank you Holly for this informative post. I enjoy what you write about-thank you. Any chance of one of your E-courses to be held here in Durban South Africa?! ;) Debra x

• Reply On A Day In November January 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Good find! Really like the cushion’s colours and pattern.
    Great blog btw:)

• Reply PJ@Home Decor Accents January 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

It’s always a pleasure coming back to your blog, Holly. there is always something new and interesting you share with your readers.
    I never heard for Anna Alicia before but will check her design line out.
    I fully agree with you saying, displaying fashion and accessories are a great way to accent a room in an affordable way.

• Reply Kate January 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

What a great find and I love the inspiring tips about styling. I’m slowly, slowly accepting that cleanliness and styling make a space. Now how to incorporate these ideas and make it look artful…

• Reply Laura R January 28, 2011 at 8:07 am

Hi

I have nominated you for Stylish Blogger Award.
    Hope it’s okay though it is in Danish (I just want to let you know)

/Laura

• Reply Marlene January 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sooo beautiful!!

Xou always find so gorgeous things in the deeps of the internet – I enjoy visiting decor8 :-)))

Marlene

• Reply Karena January 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Holly I love your new look ! Accessories really make it!

I was given an award if you want to lear more about me!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

• Reply Emily Fitzhugh January 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm

What a great morning read. I love the idea and try and do the same in my space. Everything is potentially a design element. Thank you for reminding me of this. I am inspired!!

• Reply Lindy Gruger Hanson January 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm

It’s fun to come back to a blog and find something so interesting. I agree about using accessories to decorate one’s home interior spaces. It’s just like art and using it in interesting ways. I love paintings that are on boxes for instance and can sit on a table or shelf. And I love Anna Alicia’s jewelry. I visited her Etsy Shop and love the fabric feather necklace she created out of unique materials.

• Reply T January 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

i love this post, holly. i am so into the idea of using interesting jewelry for decorating! i do the same thing in my bedroom and looking at jewelry i got from my travels just puts me in a grateful, joyful mood.

• Reply Lea- cuadro infantil January 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Just gorgeous!!! Congratulations, I love decor8 full of inspiration everyday!

• Reply Stockton January 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

wow. I love this work! Especially the cushions. And the crow necklace. I have to second PJ, this is why I read your blog!

• Reply artlover January 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Lots of inspiration here! Thanks

• Reply Margaret January 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm

After reading this blog, I had a look around my room and found that I have been using my jewels to decorate as well! I seem to have a lot of pearls and right now they are grouped together in a beautiful bowl ….jazzing up my bedside table.