Decorating Tips

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

February 3, 2011

Calling all stylists, set designers and anyone else in need of props in Boston! Lauren Niles, Prop Stylist, wrote in today about Mad Props and I couldn’t resist sharing this new Boston-based business with you. Mad Props (great name!) is a full service prop rental house catering to stylists, photographers and of course the film and event industries who shoot in Boston and greater New England. They have an extensive collection housed in a 3,000 square foot space that is open weekdays along with their online space where you can browse what’s available.

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

Mad Props carries everything from table settings to home decor, surfaces and furniture ranging from antique to vintage and modern pieces. Founded by owners Lauren Niles and Elizabeth Pond, they launched their business to fill a void and, “To make the propping experience more pleasant, convenient and efficient, and offer hard-to-find items for local clientele and out of town productions coordinating photo shoots in Boston.” Curated with care, Lauren and Elizabeth source items selected for their aesthetic photographic qualities and usefulness as props in general.

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

Sounds (and looks) like a fun space to visit — and a valuable resource for those looking for a great prop house in Boston. Way to go, ladies!

(images: mad props)

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply MelodyA. February 3, 2011 at 1:10 am

That is so awesome. Wish I still lived there.

• Reply Julieann/CreateGirl February 3, 2011 at 1:16 am

Thanks so much for posting on this, what an amazing resource for photo shoots! After seeing these photos I am more tempted to go shopping in their space. YAY for a new creative company in town!

• Reply Holly February 3, 2011 at 1:25 am

What a great collection of goodies!

• Reply laura trevey February 3, 2011 at 1:40 am

I would love to browse though that cool rental store, and awesome name!!

• Reply se7en February 3, 2011 at 1:57 am

Simply amazing… Definitely worth crossing the ocean to visit!!!

• Reply meg manion silliker February 3, 2011 at 1:57 am

can’t wait to check them out. fantastic!!

• Reply Kristan February 3, 2011 at 2:12 am

LOVE the name, love the look! I only wish it were a regular store instead of rental. And that I had money and lived in Boston, hehehe.

• Reply Bianca February 3, 2011 at 2:21 am

omg that’s just awesome. wish they had something like that in melbourne, australia.

• Reply mrs.m February 3, 2011 at 2:22 am

very cool….I really just want to move into their shop…can you imagine the fun making rooms from all of their great props

• Reply Mandy Saile of Bijou's Whimsy February 3, 2011 at 2:42 am

Now that would indeed be an amazing store to browse in. Some serious retail therapy could be had here.

• Reply kaitlyn sullivan February 3, 2011 at 3:32 am

ahh! i just read about this place the other day- such a great idea, can’t wait to go in for a visit.

• Reply jarmaine | poster printing February 3, 2011 at 3:38 am

Wow, I can get lost in this space just looking the whole day at everything they have. Props to mad props for coming up with this! If I ever go to Boston, this is definitely a must-visit place. Thanks!

• Reply A Plum By Any Other Name February 3, 2011 at 3:55 am

Fabulous to hear as I am a Bostonian, looks lovely. Thanks for the update; can’t wait to check it out!

• Reply AlexisAnne February 3, 2011 at 4:17 am

Oh I am so obsessed with the color coded displays of pillows, glasses and linens. Looks great!!!

• Reply Hannah Chen February 3, 2011 at 5:04 am

Oooo! Serious eye candy! Looks like so much fun…

• Reply Katie Truelove February 3, 2011 at 6:01 am

I’m no prop stylist but I’d love to just wander in that place!

• Reply Ele February 3, 2011 at 8:01 am

Um, WOW. I’m not even a stylist and I could happily spend a day or two in there… LOVE the name and the photos.

• Reply Emily Fitzhugh February 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love it! The merchandising is so interesting. At first glance maybe cluttered but then I realized not at all, it is very well kept and looks like an adventure to explore! Next time I am in Boston on my list for sure. Thank you!

• Reply Barbara Johansen Newman February 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Love this! I’ve actually bought items that were used in movies shot here in N. E., and I’ve loaned some of my stuff to set people. Mmmm. Must. Think. About. This. For. Real. Maybe this kind of business would be a good way to justify my incurable need to collect….

• Reply Danielle February 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I really need to take a drive to Boston just for this shop.

• Reply hearttypat February 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

naw, i sure wish we have stores like this in SIngapore! I had a hard time looking for prop for my photoshoot, and ended up giving up some of my ideas if I didn’t managed to buy them first…

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose February 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Oh my goodness, this place looks like heaven!

• Reply cath February 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Wow… how cool. Sure wish this was in existence when I still lived there!
    Neat neat!

• Reply Caitlin February 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm

This shop is amazing – I’ve picked up a few things from here needed for our shoots – they virtually have almost everything! (and owners are super pleasant and helpful)

• Reply Corina Acosta February 6, 2011 at 2:37 am

Thank you for posting this! I am completely ecstatic about this because I am moving to Boston by the end of this summer and have been in dyer need for props to better stylize both my food blog + my personal art blog. I cannot afford to invest in my own props at the moment so a cool prop shop such as this will be a great help! And you just gotta love the name! Mad Props is quite a euonym!

• Reply Courtney February 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Very cool shop!

• Reply Uncle Beefy February 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Honestly, I don’t think I could go in there, Holly. They’d be calling the police to have me forcibly removed ’cause I wouldn’t want to leave! Such creative inspiration in there I’m sure. :)

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister July 27, 2011 at 6:57 am

This style prop mad girl would have a tough time in this shop too cuz I’d want to buy everything! If I lived nearby perhaps I could be convinced to rent but I love my props to surround me! I know I’m obsessed!

• Reply Funky Handmade Jewelry Making Studio March 22, 2012 at 10:29 am

We are definitely planning to do a photo shoot right at mad props. The many inspirations are endeless…