NEW: Boston Prop Rental House, Mad Props

Calling all stylists, set designers and anyone else in need of props in Boston! Lauren Niles, Prop Stylist, wrote in today about Mad Props and I couldn’t resist sharing this new Boston-based business with you. Mad Props (great name!) is a full service prop rental house catering to stylists, photographers and of course the film and event industries who shoot in Boston and greater New England. They have an extensive collection housed in a 3,000 square foot space that is open weekdays along with their online space where you can browse what’s available.

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props carries everything from table settings to home decor, surfaces and furniture ranging from antique to vintage and modern pieces. Founded by owners Lauren Niles and Elizabeth Pond, they launched their business to fill a void and, “To make the propping experience more pleasant, convenient and efficient, and offer hard-to-find items for local clientele and out of town productions coordinating photo shoots in Boston.” Curated with care, Lauren and Elizabeth source items selected for their aesthetic photographic qualities and usefulness as props in general.

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Mad Props: In Boston

Sounds (and looks) like a fun space to visit — and a valuable resource for those looking for a great prop house in Boston. Way to go, ladies!

(images: mad props)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on February 03, 2011

1. MelodyA. commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:10am

That is so awesome. Wish I still lived there.
    MelodyA.´s last blog post ..I Love

2. Julieann/CreateGirl commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:16am

Thanks so much for posting on this, what an amazing resource for photo shoots! After seeing these photos I am more tempted to go shopping in their space. YAY for a new creative company in town!

3. Holly commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:25am

What a great collection of goodies!
    Holly´s last blog post ..i get excited about little things

4. laura trevey commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:40am

I would love to browse though that cool rental store, and awesome name!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..A Beach Cottage in Namibia- Africa – Home Tour

5. se7en commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:57am

Simply amazing… Definitely worth crossing the ocean to visit!!!

6. meg manion silliker commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 1:57am

can’t wait to check them out. fantastic!!

7. Kristan commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 2:12am

LOVE the name, love the look! I only wish it were a regular store instead of rental. And that I had money and lived in Boston, hehehe.
    Kristan´s last blog post ..When I close my eyes I’m somewhere with you

8. Bianca commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 2:21am

omg that’s just awesome. wish they had something like that in melbourne, australia.
    Bianca´s last blog post ..mac pelican

9. mrs.m commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 2:22am

very cool….I really just want to move into their shop…can you imagine the fun making rooms from all of their great props
    mrs.m´s last blog post ..The List

10. Mandy Saile of Bijou's Whimsy commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 2:42am

Now that would indeed be an amazing store to browse in. Some serious retail therapy could be had here.
    Mandy Saile of Bijou’s Whimsy´s last blog post ..Tiny Bird 2 – PRINT

11. kaitlyn sullivan commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 3:32am

ahh! i just read about this place the other day- such a great idea, can’t wait to go in for a visit.
    kaitlyn sullivan´s last blog post ..debbie smyth

12. jarmaine | poster printing commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 3:38am

Wow, I can get lost in this space just looking the whole day at everything they have. Props to mad props for coming up with this! If I ever go to Boston, this is definitely a must-visit place. Thanks!

13. A Plum By Any Other Name commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 3:55am

Fabulous to hear as I am a Bostonian, looks lovely. Thanks for the update; can’t wait to check it out!
    A Plum By Any Other Name´s last blog post ..The Certainty of Mac and Cheese

14. AlexisAnne commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 4:17am

Oh I am so obsessed with the color coded displays of pillows, glasses and linens. Looks great!!!
    AlexisAnne´s last blog post ..The Storm Before the Calm

15. Hannah Chen commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 5:04am

Oooo! Serious eye candy! Looks like so much fun…

16. Katie Truelove commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 6:01am

I’m no prop stylist but I’d love to just wander in that place!
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Etsy- Hello Truelove Paper Goods!

17. Ele commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 8:01am

Um, WOW. I’m not even a stylist and I could happily spend a day or two in there… LOVE the name and the photos.
    Ele´s last blog post ..Monday’s Veg

18. Emily Fitzhugh commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 9:17am

I love it! The merchandising is so interesting. At first glance maybe cluttered but then I realized not at all, it is very well kept and looks like an adventure to explore! Next time I am in Boston on my list for sure. Thank you!
    Emily Fitzhugh´s last blog post ..Irina Gemenyuk Photography

19. Barbara Johansen Newman commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 3:12pm

Love this! I’ve actually bought items that were used in movies shot here in N. E., and I’ve loaned some of my stuff to set people. Mmmm. Must. Think. About. This. For. Real. Maybe this kind of business would be a good way to justify my incurable need to collect….
    Barbara Johansen Newman´s last blog post ..Better late than never

20. Danielle commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 3:21pm

I really need to take a drive to Boston just for this shop.

21. hearttypat commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 4:40pm

naw, i sure wish we have stores like this in SIngapore! I had a hard time looking for prop for my photoshoot, and ended up giving up some of my ideas if I didn’t managed to buy them first…
    hearttypat´s last blog post ..how i made my own hair fascinator and birdcage veil

22. Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 6:32pm

Oh my goodness, this place looks like heaven!
    Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose´s last blog post ..eggplant and steel – a colour story

23. cath commented
    February 3rd, 2011 at 10:17pm

Wow… how cool. Sure wish this was in existence when I still lived there!
    Neat neat!

24. Caitlin commented
    February 5th, 2011 at 11:00pm

This shop is amazing – I’ve picked up a few things from here needed for our shoots – they virtually have almost everything! (and owners are super pleasant and helpful)

25. Corina Acosta commented
    February 6th, 2011 at 2:37am

Thank you for posting this! I am completely ecstatic about this because I am moving to Boston by the end of this summer and have been in dyer need for props to better stylize both my food blog + my personal art blog. I cannot afford to invest in my own props at the moment so a cool prop shop such as this will be a great help! And you just gotta love the name! Mad Props is quite a euonym!

26. Courtney commented
    February 7th, 2011 at 8:27pm

Very cool shop!
    Courtney´s last blog post ..Drawing a Day 64- Bow Ties

27. Uncle Beefy commented
    February 12th, 2011 at 7:14pm

Honestly, I don’t think I could go in there, Holly. They’d be calling the police to have me forcibly removed ’cause I wouldn’t want to leave! Such creative inspiration in there I’m sure. :)
    Uncle Beefy´s last blog post ..Weekending

28. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    July 27th, 2011 at 6:57am

This style prop mad girl would have a tough time in this shop too cuz I’d want to buy everything! If I lived nearby perhaps I could be convinced to rent but I love my props to surround me! I know I’m obsessed!

29. Funky Handmade Jewelry Making Studio commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 10:29am

We are definitely planning to do a photo shoot right at mad props. The many inspirations are endeless…