DAY Home

I shared some of the DAY collection for the home recently, but had to show more since I’m definitely spotting a slight nod to all things nautical lately, have you noticed? I believe that the trick to bringing coastal decor into the home and making it work (key!) is to keep the theme a bit understated and be careful not to overdo things. Pick an accent piece – your main character – then layer in a few supporting actors that do not compete with your star and see how things look.

DAY

It’s a good idea to vary the size of your patterns, make sure patterns are not all of the same scale… And also vary the tones of your colors — some should take the lead (coral and violet in this case below) and others should be a bit understated (beige and white for instance) and less punchy. One thing I love about this look from DAY is the smart combination of violet and coral with beige and crisp white — it’s a great look. I don’t think it’s common to see these two colors living together which is why I like it.

DAY

An alternate color palette that you could try if you want to bring a smart coastal palette to a room in your home is to work with coral (red-orange) and navy with crisp white and add some blue and white stripes. You can also mix in some Indian patterns — that way your room doesn’t scream, “Seafood Restaurant” if you know what I mean because match-y match-y nautical rooms rarely work unless you are in a seafood restaurant and well, even then… Who would have thought to combine Indian paisley prints with coral patterns? Not even me, and I can be pretty out there and quite quirky sometimes!

Do you like the nautical look? Would you try any of these colors and patterns at home? If not as a room scheme, have you considered throwing a lunch party incorporating these colors and patterns in your table linens and flower arrangements?

(images: day)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on February 16, 2011

1. puck commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:04pm

I don’t mind the nautical look in coastal cabins… but unless your house is sitting on a beach, it is sort of weird.

2. Marcela commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:06pm

Lovely cushion!!
    Marcela´s last blog post ..Reciclar con un jean – Proyecto II

3. michelle commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:07pm

I often dress quite nautical and I love bringing that look into the home. There is just something so wonderful about navy,white, brass, rough wood, and jute. As long as you don’t also include portholes & anchors in the same room I think it can look great.
    Confession – though I wouldn’t decorate with an anchor I will certainly wear them. It’s like my little signature :)
    michelle´s last blog post ..When Fashion Meets Art

4. shelbi commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:36pm

I have been in love with coral themed decor for some time now. My husband loves the nautical look, but there is something so soft and lovely about coral. I have started a little collection and have been wanting that red coral pillow for some time now. i dream about it! :) lovely post, as always Holly. xo
    shelbi´s last blog post ..We heart being treasured

5. MelanieO commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:39pm

Beautiful! I never would have thought to use those colors together. Thank you for sharing, very inspirational.
    MelanieO´s last blog post ..Olabelhe Heirloom Style Sewing Patterns

6. laura trevey commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:45pm

I love that coral color in the pillows!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Where We Blog – Home Office – Favorite Cozy Spot

7. AlexisAnne commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:39pm

Huge fan of the colors there- especially the coral w/ the lilac. A combination that I have not yet seen, but would definitely try! Thanks for sharing.

8. Decor Girl commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:55pm

Love the coral with the violet! We see it so often with turquoise, this is fresh!

Hey I say the same thing regarding “star” and “supporting roles”. It is a great way to get our point across. Nice post!
    Decor Girl´s last blog post ..Decorating – 4 Tricks For Selecting Paint Color

9. Iris commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 9:17pm

We just had a nautical themed birthday party for our little captain who turned 5 and it is such a festive theme. I bought striped t-shirts for all of his friends (and they looked so cute in them) and we had a lot of fun doing all kinds of boat-games. You can see some of the decorations here http://irideeen.blogspot.com/2011/02/varen-varen-over-de-baren.html and here http://irideeen.blogspot.com/2011/02/varen-ii.html

love, Iris
    Iris´s last blog post ..Vintage

10. shannon commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 2:39am

wow, these are great! fun colors, beautiful patterns, great textures.
    kind of reminds me of kerry cassil: http://www.kerrycassill.com/

xo
    shannon´s last blog post ..oops!

11. Diana L commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 3:58pm

Being a sea glass girl I do love nautical but not too much in the home. At the moment its contained to the powder bath and table top in one room which displays my collection of sea glass. I do love the Coral Pillow. Is it a Crabby Chris pillow?
    Diana L´s last blog post ..Sea glass charm necklace- sea glass jewelry- beach wedding- genuine sea glass

12. Tamara, Bella Boho commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 7:15pm

I will always have “coastal” influences in my home. Love the idea of mingling India inspired patterns with coastal, like geo and coastal together, but softer.
    Tamara, Bella Boho´s last blog post ..style board- color trends 2011 peapod dining room