Decorating Tips

DAY Home

February 16, 2011

I shared some of the DAY collection for the home recently, but had to show more since I’m definitely spotting a slight nod to all things nautical lately, have you noticed? I believe that the trick to bringing coastal decor into the home and making it work (key!) is to keep the theme a bit understated and be careful not to overdo things. Pick an accent piece – your main character – then layer in a few supporting actors that do not compete with your star and see how things look.

DAY Home

It’s a good idea to vary the size of your patterns, make sure patterns are not all of the same scale… And also vary the tones of your colors — some should take the lead (coral and violet in this case below) and others should be a bit understated (beige and white for instance) and less punchy. One thing I love about this look from DAY is the smart combination of violet and coral with beige and crisp white — it’s a great look. I don’t think it’s common to see these two colors living together which is why I like it.

DAY Home

An alternate color palette that you could try if you want to bring a smart coastal palette to a room in your home is to work with coral (red-orange) and navy with crisp white and add some blue and white stripes. You can also mix in some Indian patterns — that way your room doesn’t scream, “Seafood Restaurant” if you know what I mean because match-y match-y nautical rooms rarely work unless you are in a seafood restaurant and well, even then… Who would have thought to combine Indian paisley prints with coral patterns? Not even me, and I can be pretty out there and quite quirky sometimes!

Do you like the nautical look? Would you try any of these colors and patterns at home? If not as a room scheme, have you considered throwing a lunch party incorporating these colors and patterns in your table linens and flower arrangements?

(images: day)

You Might Also Like

• Reply puck February 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I don’t mind the nautical look in coastal cabins… but unless your house is sitting on a beach, it is sort of weird.

• Reply Marcela February 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Lovely cushion!!

• Reply michelle February 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I often dress quite nautical and I love bringing that look into the home. There is just something so wonderful about navy,white, brass, rough wood, and jute. As long as you don’t also include portholes & anchors in the same room I think it can look great.
    Confession – though I wouldn’t decorate with an anchor I will certainly wear them. It’s like my little signature :)

• Reply shelbi February 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I have been in love with coral themed decor for some time now. My husband loves the nautical look, but there is something so soft and lovely about coral. I have started a little collection and have been wanting that red coral pillow for some time now. i dream about it! :) lovely post, as always Holly. xo

• Reply MelanieO February 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Beautiful! I never would have thought to use those colors together. Thank you for sharing, very inspirational.

• Reply laura trevey February 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I love that coral color in the pillows!!

• Reply AlexisAnne February 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Huge fan of the colors there- especially the coral w/ the lilac. A combination that I have not yet seen, but would definitely try! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Decor Girl February 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Love the coral with the violet! We see it so often with turquoise, this is fresh!

Hey I say the same thing regarding “star” and “supporting roles”. It is a great way to get our point across. Nice post!

• Reply Iris February 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm

We just had a nautical themed birthday party for our little captain who turned 5 and it is such a festive theme. I bought striped t-shirts for all of his friends (and they looked so cute in them) and we had a lot of fun doing all kinds of boat-games. You can see some of the decorations here and here

love, Iris

• Reply shannon February 17, 2011 at 2:39 am

wow, these are great! fun colors, beautiful patterns, great textures.
    kind of reminds me of kerry cassil:

• Reply Diana L February 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Being a sea glass girl I do love nautical but not too much in the home. At the moment its contained to the powder bath and table top in one room which displays my collection of sea glass. I do love the Coral Pillow. Is it a Crabby Chris pillow?

• Reply Tamara, Bella Boho February 17, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I will always have “coastal” influences in my home. Love the idea of mingling India inspired patterns with coastal, like geo and coastal together, but softer.