Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

February 17, 2011

It’s Thursday, almost the weeeeekend! Yay! How are you? I’ve been working on a few projects which includes a little book tourand launch party so that has consumed lots of my time recently. It feels surreal to be a debut author and to be able to take it to the streets very soon. I’m not sure where or when yet, but as soon as I know more about my mini book tour I will be posting about it on decor8 (and on the Decorate fan page over on Facebook) and inviting each on you to come play! Now let’s talk stylish commercial spaces.

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

I don’t write alot about commercial spaces because most of them don’t do it for me if you know what I mean. Seems lots of places follow very specific formats when it comes to bars, cafes, shops and though I understand why I often wish some designers could still follow codes to the letter yet manage to bend the rules ever so slightly to develop a few new concepts. That is why, when reader Mia sent me a press release announcing the fabulous Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen located in the heart of Vesterbro (I love it there) and I had to share it on decor8 the moment I saw the photos. It opened last May and looks fantastic, wow!

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

Mikkeller is one of the world’s best microbreweries known for experimental brewing and they recently teamed up with Danish design agency Femmes Regionales to create an elegant, charming spot to socialize and grab a beer in the center of Copenhagen.

“We found the contrast between the classical pub interior and something more modern really interesting,” says Caroline Hansen, one of the founders of Femmes Regionales.

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

Mikkeller Bar In Copenhagen!

The bar is a casual, quirky and yet sophisticated space with wooden tables and benches, a shiny wall of black tiles and gold details found in lighting and hardware. They wanted to make the setting a bit tranquil so the crowds that it draws would chill out vs. bang their fists on tables and behave like your typical sports fans that you find in most pubs. “We like to demand something from our audience – beauty generates beauty”, Caroline explains. This pub is one posh place to grab a glass of ale! We need this in my city of Hannover! I love the fresh green and yellow accents, definitely not what I’d expect to see in a pub and is a very refreshing change for sure.

(images: mikkeller bar)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Luciane February 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh this is so fun! I’m loving the colors, the clean feel to it.. not like those dark, ugly pubs… no thank you! :-)

I’m so excited for the weekend too… and I’m happy we’ve some sunshine today. Alleluia!!! :-)

Have a blessed day! :-)

• Reply michelle February 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

My boyfriend and are always tossing around the idea of opening a pub. I’m sure he envisions your traditional Irish pub with dark wood and forest green walls but this much more what I have in mind!

• Reply Eadaoin February 17, 2011 at 6:08 pm

How beautiful, this looks like stepping into someone’s kitchen rather than a bar, it’s that relaxed and calm. It makes such a change from the pubs you find here in Dublin where everything is dark – I feel like Dublin pubs are enveloping us in dark warmth away from our gloomy weather, but this bar feels like stepping into spring time, especially with that gorgeous green floor. I’m not a pub person, I’ve never really enjoyed them, but I think I could like somewhere like this! Also the idea of attracting a particular kind of customer, beauty attracting beauty, is such a wonderful ethic to incorporate in their business ideas, I wish them well with it :)

• Reply Clare Pirie February 17, 2011 at 6:17 pm

What a lovely space, only serves to increase my hankering for a trip to Denmark.

• Reply tinajo February 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Fun and interesting details! :-)

• Reply Christina February 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I love it! If there was a bar like this near where I lived I would probably become an alcoholic. If only to glimpse all those fabulous lights!

• Reply Tekesia February 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm

This bar is so pretty! It’s more like someone’s home then a commercial space, which is what makes it great :) I used to bartend at a small place here in Washington, DC and the thing that made it special was the fact that people felt at home there. I love how they have used the space and color here, it just makes you feel happy!

• Reply Katie Truelove February 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I love all the unique lamps and the mirrored bar! What a wonderful place to have a refreshing drink. On my list for when I (someday) get to travel to Copenhagen!

• Reply Dagmarette @ The Finishing School February 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Copenhagen always has the best and freshest interior designs. I always love to seek inspiration from their decorated spaces!

• Reply Alyssa peterson February 18, 2011 at 5:02 am

Thanks for posting! I am actually headed to Copenhagen next month and am looking for fun paces to check out….any other tidbits to share…perhaps flew markets, antique and new shoppes…

• Reply melissa February 18, 2011 at 5:06 am

great space. One of the nicest I’ve seen in ling time!

• Reply Anna February 18, 2011 at 9:47 am

Very nice! It feels very open and fresh, but warm at the same time. I just can’t get enough of the, always beautiful, Scandinavian style!

Like Katie said: On my list!

• Reply Chloe C February 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Loved this space! Especially loved the mis-matched hardware on the drawer/shelf things. I’ve had a bug to do some mismatched hardware for a while now, & it was fun to see it. & yes, light and airy, it has been so dark and cold here this Winter (Providence RI) – I’m starving for light and airy!

• Reply jules @ The Diversion Project February 20, 2011 at 2:34 am

love that black tile, can see so many domestic applications for it.

• Reply Mary Anne from Melbourne February 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love the space too! Love love the black tile too! very inspiring! although of course I am going to chicken out and use white subway (small like this bar’s) in my bathrooms!

Looking forward to your book coming out so I can see some more pics!

• Reply Lise March 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Looks so cool!! Thanks for sharing!