Lisa Stickley Is Keeping It Real

When I’m in London this spring I will do everything in my power to finally visit the Lisa Stickley shop. I’ve been to London a million times in my life but never stepped foot inside of her darling store and feel positively horrible about it. Why? What is my problem!? Don’t answer that. I clearly need to prioritize next time I’m in jolly old England and skip on over for a visit. It was just in The Independent a few days ago, did you catch the article and shop photos? If not, click here to read more.

I love the new bedding Lisa is working on, and that she’s in conversation with Anthropologie to collaborate with them on a line, and she’s working on a line for Hankyu in Japan, a collection of homewares at Debenhams and a new bedding collection at Heal’s (shown). Wow! Lisa is so talented and clearly very successful and though I’ve never met her my heart swells seeing a young woman who seems to have it all but is known for remaining down-to-earth and as real as they come amongst those in her field. I’ve noticed, even in my own blogging world, that even bloggers who grow in popularity can change and became a bit snobby or make it very obvious that they are top tier and everyone else is, well, everyone else. Let’s make it our personal vow to keep it real on the web.

This is prevalent in every industry I guess, the whole swollen head syndrome that occurs when fame sets in, and sometimes it saddens me when those I love get sucked in and I have to watch, powerless…  That is when I turn to examples of those who are super successful like Lisa Stickley who don’t let their inner fame monster take over. I also think of others in the design world who stay true to their roots. Shannon Fricke, Emily Chalmers, Debi Treloar, Selina Lake, Sania Pell, Geninne Zlatkis, Belinda Graham, Irene Hoofs, Leslie Shewring, Jo Packham (publisher of Where Women Create and Where Women Cook magazine), Leigh Standley, Amy Atlas… these ladies (and tons more, plus many guys) really INSPIRE me because they’re all hugely talented and successful and yet, you never once feel like they think they are better than you or more important in some way. I love these women, they are all stars in my eyes and I’ll always support them through thick and thin! I could list SO MANY more wonderful people but I usually just blog about them instead because promoting them on decor8 is my small way of thanking them for remaining true and special.

Whether in the corporate world or the indie lifestyle, or that space in between — some let the fame monster warp their perception of self and as a result, lose a clear sense of reality. My advice is to keep it real and remember how you got to wherever it is that you think you are today. Your readers, your friends, people who wrote up your work when some flat out rejected you, others who believed in you when you didn’t believe in yourself, friends who were there through it all, family members who held you through your growing pains… all of us who have found success in whatever it is owe so much to our fans and support teams – whoever those people may be. I guess that’s why the Lisa Stickley’s of the world impress me so much. They just do their thing and don’t allow themselves to become elevated as a result. It makes me want to support them all the more.

Do you have thoughts on what I’ve said above? I often wonder how you cope with your own success, or the success of others if you perhaps have noticed it affecting them for the worse? Do you say something? Avoid them? How do you handle all of this?

(images: lisa stickley)

Posted by decor8 in bedroom, real talk on February 21, 2011

1. Tanya commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:18pm

Oh I’ve been dreaming of new bedding
    Tanya´s last blog post ..Awkward Moments Monday

2. Diana commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:27pm

Beautiful thoughts, Holly. (Beautiful bedding, too.) I really admire folks like Geninne who just seem to be living a beautiful life. (Let’s see how often I can say “beautiful” in one comment.) After having a glimpse of an “elite lifestyle” this past weekend, I can safely say I’d rather stick to being down to earth. If you lose touch with yourself and who you are, how can you make art that is true? Same goes for writing, or designing, or whatever it is that you are passionate about. I feel like following your passion and being true to yourself are absolutely entangled and that it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to have one without the other.

And you should add yourself to that list of successful women who have stayed true to their roots!
    Diana´s last blog post ..Mellow Mood Has Got Me

3. Teri commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:28pm

I’m glad you wrote this. It inspires me to move forward with my goals and stay true to myself and my intention which can be difficult at times. I see people in the blogesphere getting perks and accolades, but I know the ones who will have staying power or a career beyond blogging, are the ones who remain humble and hardworking. I just have to remember that when I have self doubt about what I do. Hard work an humble attitude is key!

4. Abigail Percy @abigail*ryan commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:29pm

This is too funny, Holly… I was writing a post today saying how much I was enjoying Pinterest, and how it felt a little like blogging of old (sharing inspiration for visual inspirations sake!)…

I went on to ramble a little bit about how blogging has changed, and how cliques have formed who mutually pat each other on the back and promote each other endlessly now they’re ‘someone’, when, back in the day it was original ideas, talent and being nice that got you somewhere and were the reason people featured you on their blogs! I didn’t quite know where I was going with what I meant, so I deleted part of it… interesting to click through here and see your take on the same kind of thing.

Keeping it real is a pretty good manifesto! ;) Hurrah to that!!

xo

5. shelbi commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:42pm

Holly, thanks for ‘keeping it real’ here. you hit the nail on the head. I have experienced what your talking about here. Being a quiet little humble blogger myself (really for the love of it more than anything) I have made some great connections with other bloggers through the years – this kind of stuff is just the nature of the beast I guess. BTW, your always showcasing the most beautiful designers, and I am happy to know that you enjoy the ‘real’ ones just like i do. :) :)
    shelbi´s last blog post ..month of Love

6. Julie commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 7:51pm

that bedding is divine! oh it’s gorgeous. love your thoughts on keeping it real, so true.
    Julie´s last blog post ..The Lovely Number 100

7. decor8 commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:17pm

@Abigail – I am going over to read your blog post right now. I can’t wait to get your thoughts on the matter too. Funny how things work sometimes, we all start feeling a certain pull…

8. Cassie At Primitive & Proper commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:41pm

amen, holly! i totally agree with everything you said. and i find it kind of funny when bloggers get all full of themselves and think they are top tier when there is no tier system here- we all start somewhere and all grow! there are some that are more known but it’s more of a chain reaction rather than being better than anyone else. i wish more people would keep it real, too , and am so appreciative of your sentiments.
    and i love that bedding. like really love.

9. Esti commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:45pm

I will always be thankful to Erin (From Design for Mankind) who was the first to post about my artwork and truly made a difference for me. Thankfully I haven’t had too many bad experiences and the successful people that I know seem to be pretty much the same as think they were. Of course, there will always be a first and I guess I’ll feel sad and would try to avoid that person from then on.
    Good post!
    Esti´s last blog post ..My week ahead

10. laura evans commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:47pm

the bedding is stunning … i want the bottom set, the turquoise though i think it may be a little too girly for the hubby, then again he may never notice!

as for success … i think all the old cliches are true about staying true to yourself. i notice it at my own level when people i know just want to be the popular one, it’s so important to them that they don’t feel the passion for what they do that the rest of us too. I would never feel happy giving someone a second rate version, something i am not 100% happy with. When i work with a client i put my heart into the job, i want them to walk away from it knowing they have something incredible personal to them & i’d rather take my time in becoming successful that way than offering quantity over quality, under cutting the market & selling out those around me.
    laura evans´s last blog post ..all things european – whimsical fine art photography – 12×12

11. decor8 commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:55pm

@Esti – Erin is lovely isn’t she!?

12. cathie commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 8:56pm

Your post is a touching honor to another designer; written with the utmost respect for her work and integrity. This is just one example of why so many choose to support and follow you. Thank you for keeping it genuine and for drawing attention to others who continue to do so as well.
    cathie´s last blog post ..Student Spotlight on Women who Art

13. Catherine commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 9:00pm

Oh goodness, that second bed is simply stunning!

You’ve hit on some very good points as far as success and the way it can twist people and bring out their worst. I have lost {or perhaps put on hold} some friendships that felt less friendly once the other person found “fame”. In a world where so many people struggle to get to “the top” and lose little bits of themselves along the way, it can be hard to avoid following their lead…or wondering if what you are doing will get you anywhere close to where they are. It’s good to have reminders like this post that reality is far superior to the alternative.
    Catherine´s last blog post ..Creative Process a little peek

14. Peggy Raymer commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 9:10pm

I so totally agree. As a new blogger I follow a ton of blogs and the one thing that annoys me is when you send them something that they were interested in hearing about or you heard about a job opening etc. that you know they would be great at and nothing. No acknowledgement.

15. Eva commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 9:15pm

The hot pink floral bedspread is the perfect shade & the scratchy pattern on it is also very nice.

Eva´s last blog post ..Gone Too Soon

16. janis - pinecone camp commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 9:20pm

Holly, I absolutely agree with you! I know a number of people, in their own worlds, that have become very successful, but have remained nice, normal and down-to-earth. I do know of a few that have gone the other way, and it makes me deeply disappointed.
    Now, about Lisa Stickley – I love her work. She’s such a talent. The turquoise bedding is just perfect. I’m looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next.
    Great post.
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..Baked

17. juliette commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 9:48pm

I really related to Abigail’s thoughts on how blogging has changed over time. I’ve been reading blogs since 2006 and some people have definitely let it go to their heads! Some seem to, but then it seems they just got lost in the shuffle of things and they periodically resurface, but I have to say the ones who let it go to their heads are ones I just don’t read regularly anymore.

A huge part of the ‘fun of blogging’ for me is seeing people’s personalities shine through, so when that gets lost or turns a way I’m not jiving with, it’s time to move on. Some blogs also seem to develop right out of my demographic, which is also ok b/c they get to grow, but sometimes it becomes a little “Friends with Money” in a way and get off-putting. However, it’s only really off-putting if the author’s voice get’s all hoity-toity! So yay for keeping it real!
    juliette´s last blog post ..Pillow project- Im Stuck!

18. Abigail Percy@abigail*ryan commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 10:10pm

Ha! I deleted those thought… wondering if I was going too far, or shooting myself in the foot ;)

…think I might talk more about it soon, though. It’s been something on my mind for quite some time, starting a new business and blog now, rather than in the blogging yester-year of 2006!

x
    Abigail Percy@abigail*ryan´s last blog post ..Dahlia Cushion Spring Yellow – &pound4950

19. Esti commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 10:14pm

Holly, certainly she is. I cannot have but words of praise for her. She’s been very supportive and she always makes a point of answering my mails/questions, which brings me back to your post. And to Abigail’s comment: I still believe being nice and working hard can get you somewhere. Keeping it down to earth is necessary.
    Esti´s last blog post ..My week ahead

20. lydia commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 10:49pm

A certain blogger comes to mind. That top tier person is not only is trying to have control over all new content and submissions out there but also telling people how to blog, especially when it seems to benefit THEIR blog.

21. fee commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 10:51pm

what a lovely post…I’m fairly new to blogging and still get v excited when someone leaves me a comment (positively coak-a-hoop when I get 2!!) and really hope that as long as I blog (and for whatever reason) that I enjoy the essence of sharing and receiving.

It feels amazing to connect with someone on the opposite side of the world (or find someone on your wave length who lives locally), as well as keep in touch with all my friends and family (my Mum often reads my posts twice….I bear that in mind!)

Thanks for the info about the amazing looking shop above – I’ll add it to my long list of places to visit when next in the big city!
    fee x

Chippernelly’s last blog…http://chippernelly.blogspot.com/2011/02/brightening-up-grey-dayand-one-big.html

22. fee commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 10:54pm

such a new girl…why didn’t my recent post link look like everyone elses???
    fee x
    fee´s last blog post ..Brightening up a grey dayand one big happy family

23. Angelina commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 11:16pm

Holly, I am a great fan of your work!! It was you and your beautiful blog who introduced me to this amazing world of blogging. I live in Argentina and I’d like to invite you to visit a very special site. It is my mother’s. She makes the most incredible bedding! Hope you like it!

24. Alyson commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 12:09am

It’s true, no matter where you go or what you do, there will always be people who let success go to their heads. Frankly, I think it’s one of the biggest turn-offs out there. What ever happened to generosity of spirit, huh?

I love your blog. It always feels so celebratory. It’s that kind of atmosphere that I want to be a part of. =)
    Alyson´s last blog post ..Almond Cranberry Oatmeal Bars

25. Monica Lee commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 1:36am

I am a big Lisa Stickley fan. I would swoon if I met her. Or even if I met you, Holly. I have always believed everyone meeds a fan, for me, I have two dogs. They are so excited to see me, I feed them so they are my biggest fans. Life is high school, no one likes someone too big for their britches but we are all excited when we get compliments, right. Puppies are so good about that.

26. decor8 commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 1:44am

@Lydia – I hear about some bloggers like that from time to time and it’s a shame, but I don’t judge because no one runs their business perfectly and we all have so much to learn out here on the web. I just want to keep myself in check and to encourage those who read posts like this that I write from my heart to consider some of what I’ve said. I know some pine for the old days of blogging, before blog ads, e-courses and twitter… but I don’t – I love blogging now more than ever and feel very happy to watch this community evolve but I also think that we can learn a lot from those who keep their egos in check as they use this online community to grow their brand… it’s inspiring to see and it is those people I keep my eye on always as my personal examples and to keep myself in check as well.

27. Amy Peters commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 2:18am

LOVE her bedding! And loved your thoughts. I was just having this conversation about the gift industry with a friend at the NY gift show a few weeks ago. Remaining humble in the face of big successes…makes me love their work and THEM even more!
    Amy Peters´s last blog post ..For me Monday- Play

28. Lindsey commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 4:08am

Thank you for reminding us to stay true to our roots.

29. Gosia Maj commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 4:28am

Very refreshing thoughts, Holly. My take on the issue is quite prosaic, actually. As one reads through one’s own blogroll, s(h)e quickly detects, distinguishes, separates from the bloggers who stop “keeping it real”. Regardless how virtual, intangible, or detached the blog world becomes, once the true passion is lost the blogger stops sending the signals which attracted the reader in the first place. Once this connection is gone, it’s useless to debate whether they “changed” or “lost the direction”, what matters only is that they’re not “ringing” the “real” bell in their readers’ heart. I’m endlessly appreciative of your (decor8’s) true ring.
    Gosia Maj´s last blog post ..Bread Baking Buddies- Brunkans Langa

30. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 5:24am

I agree with everything you said Holly & vow to keep it real as well :) I always appreciate that I can come over here & not only feel inspired but, feel welcome. Leaving here feeling good is a pleasure and that is due to you, your warmth & huge heart. Oh, and this bedding is just beautiful.
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Monday inspiration

31. brugge commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 7:08am

These are beautiful thoughts, and that bedding is divine! Oh it’s gorgeous! Love your thoughts on keeping it real, so true.

32. debra commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 7:14am

Hi Holly, Im new in blogging, just into a year with CreativeStream& many trials before that, but in this year of not giving up when only your husband is your follower … ;) its been tough.Alot of blggers that inspire me have really added such a sweet & sincere touch to my outlook & handlings of my own blog, that is truly appreciated. You have been one of my top 3 blogs that have given me the courage to keep going.You have always remained true & humble & honest&you dont even know me!I love that. But have felt the “ignore” factor or the “you smaller than me” factor. Now i have more than just hubby&best friend following! Im not sure why i never blogged sooner! I LOVE blogging.One thing i always remember is to blog with my heart & not anything thats untrue to me… As long as the blogging community stays true,real&sincere, it will flower amazing tulips of many colours! deb x
    debra´s last blog post ..happy snappy

33. Jess commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 7:36am

Holly, what a great post. One of the things I love about the blogging community (and twitter as an extension of this) is the feeling that we’re all in this together, that it’s a fun community to be a part of. Occasionally something will happen and it won’t feel that way… but like you said, we can only keep an eye on ourselves and make sure that our success doesn’t ‘go to our heads’.

@Peggy, I feel your frustration, but I have to admit – I get so many submissions to my blog and my zine that I don’t always get back to all of them. I try really hard to respond to anyone who asks me a question, though!
    Jess´s last blog post .. Monthly Giveaway Nested Necklace Feb 2011

34. ARTiculateART commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 10:43am

I LOVE the ROSY Bedsheets!!!!! Thanks for sharing!
    ARTiculateART´s last blog post ..Forever 21 Spring 2011 Edition

35. Sanja commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 1:43pm

When I see a person get like that, I guess they didn’t start doing the work they do with the right reasons in the first place. You’ll rarely find someone whose work comes from the heart to get cocky and forget about their own beginnings!

36. Suzen commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 1:51pm

I have had the unfortunate experience of agreeing with you on the subject of peoplebecoming successful in the Indie Arts field and then cliquing and sticking to others in their “in” group. One person in particular I met at an art retreat, walked up and introduced myself, told her how much I appreciated her work. Perhaps I had some spinach in my teeth, or perhaps she was catatonically shy. Don’t know, but she steer clear of me the rest of the weekend and stuck with her “group.” Disappointing. Now whenever I see her name I have that unfortunate feeling in the pit of my stomach. On the other hand, one woman I met there continues to inspire me with her depth and tenderness, via her blog, and has really changed my whole work department via her thoughts that I’ve shared. Thanks for the post, though, so I don’t think it’s just me!! Maybe I don’t actually have the spinach going on, right? (PS, the sheets are delicious! Don’t you love that Anthropologie is working with people like this?)

37. Gail Boyce commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 1:56pm

Thank you for your most considerate and uplifting design post. It has become my favorite due to your “keeping it real.” Your enthusiasm, love of your subject and your readers shines through with each reading. I admire all this new young talent who have gone forward with their designs and dreams. I only wish I were 50 years younger!

38. julie @ hazel & hunter commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 2:38pm

what a refreshing post, thank you for writing this! i’ve been reading a lot of things that just leave a bad taste in my mouth these days – thank you for reminding everyone to keep it real!
    and i totally admire artists who just do their own thing and stay down to earth even when they become successful… we all just have to remember never to take ourselves too seriously. oh, and love lisa stickley’s work – gorgeous!

39. Danielle commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 3:28pm

What a lovely thought inspiring post and I couldn’t agree more!! Humility is a virtue! And those that lack it, try to hold on mis perceived greatness, don’t want to share in the glory of creating for creating sake…they are the ones that suffer. That is why silence is always best! What would you say that would change their mind? Just today I posted a quote that I find relates to being humble and peaceful:
    “Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they to, have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in our own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.”
    Maybe there is something in the air!
    Also, thanks so much for sharing about Lisa Stickley…I have to pop into her shop when I am in London this spring. Can’t wait!!!
    Danielle´s last blog post ..Desiderata

40. ana commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 4:17pm

I’m like you i love those people that are truth to themselves & humble even when their success is huge. I saw a Ted Talk with Elizabeth Gilbert & she’s so down to earth & sweet. At her TED talk whe points out some interesting things about what others expectations from you when you reach success. I totally recomend to watch it
    ana´s last blog post ..Featured artist- nomilktoday

41. Shari commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 5:12pm

I am lucky to say that I don’t know anyone (yet) warped by success. My friends and family who do well are very down-to-earth people, which is as good a set of role models as I could ever hope for!

I don’t know how I would respond if it were to happen, but most likely, I would withdraw from that person. I don’t need that kind of ego-mania in my life. I have loads of wonderful people with whom I can share my life with!

Thanks for this very interesting post… I love the bedding, so happy and fun! I love the thoughts you’ve shared, as well. xoxo
    Shari´s last blog post ..Ever Stop to Think

42. el {what you fancy} commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 6:42pm

Great post… and what gorgeous bedding! For some reason I keep seeing gorgeous new bedding ranges everywhere up lately (maybe I’m just pining for my bed!), e.g. Kenneth Cole at House of Fraser http://bit.ly/gthJ0r

Regarding staying true to yourself, I couldn’t agree more. As a relatively new blogger (but having followed others for years), I have reached out to fellow bloggers either for banners, permission to use images, or sometimes just introducing myself… and the range of replies, and more tellingly the non-replies, has been vast. All I think is, with the ‘high and mighties’ just rise above it! The blogging community can be extremely warm, welcoming and helpful, and it’s a hobby that I absolutely LOVE doing… therefore I will gravitate to all things positive in the blogosphere and ignore the negative!
    ~el
    (The best news of the day? Lisa Stickley’s shop is 5mins from my house :-D)
    el {what you fancy}´s last blog post ..at home with ‘a beach cottage’

43. melissa commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 8:34pm

omg! i have stationery from her, i had no idea that she did bedding too! love this. thanks for posting!

melissa´s last blog post ..Ruby et Violette

44. Seema commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 8:35pm

I agree with your thoughts Holly of being “down to earth” in spite of whatever we are as we are not going to take all this with us.

I loved the floral bed. Very sweet and smiling !

45. Renee commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 8:47pm

Your post today is one of the many reasons I read your blog, while I love looking at the beautiful and inspiring photos, I love that you make us all think a bit beyond the pretty pictures.

Many of us work into the wee hours of the morning trying to realize the dreams we have laid out for ourselves. Sometimes if we help each other just a bit, we might get to where we want to be a bit faster. If anyone reaches out to me, I am so delighted and flattered that I probably go overboard with help.

so here is to lending a helping hand and spreading good vibes through out blog world.
    Renee´s last blog post ..I have a thing for fabulous closets

46. Heidi commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 8:58pm

Well said! My favorite ‘big time’ bloggers are the ones that still take the time to give a sincere response to my comments! It means a lot to know they are still taking time for the people that make their blog so successful!

47. decor8 commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 9:03pm

@Heidi – Absolutely! Though sometimes those blogs have staff answering for them so you don’t always know LOL!

48. Kim @ Sand & Sisal commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 9:36pm

I agree with you. The bloggers who naturally live in humility draw us in like magnets. I think our core craves others who are genuine. Great post! On a separate note: I love how Lisa is rockin’ Pantone’s 2011 Honeysuckle and 2010 Turquoise in these bedspreads!
    Kim @ Sand & Sisal´s last blog post ..Repainting an Old Fire Pit

49. Tamara, Bella Boho commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 9:59pm

Great post, the bedding, your thoughts and all the comments. Sooo new to to blogging (at least to being really dedicated to it) and I honestly hadn’t started following others until a few months ago. Yep, I’m lame. In the short time I have been following blogs, I have noticed a change with some bloggers, there is definitely a bit of a clique.

I don’t have a huge following, but I LOVE hearing from my followers, and I also realize that every post is not going to garner a comment. My blog is also tied into my business so of course I want it to be successful, but keeping true to myself and supporting my fellow bloggers and staying happy because I truly love what I do is way more important than being “known”.
    Tamara, Bella Boho´s last blog post ..fab find- stylish entry-desk

50. Marianne commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 10:11pm

That’s the reason i read you blog! Very well said! And the bedding…beautiful!
    Marianne´s last blog post ..Quer sentar

51. Bale & Twine commented
    February 22nd, 2011 at 10:44pm

So fresh & happy. Spring is coming. Thanks for the great post, hope more of those beyond fab people read & come back down to earth:-)
    Bale & Twine

52. Anastasia commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 1:00am

oh i didnt know she had her own store in London?
    thats so cool – if I ever get to London soon I’ll defn have to pop in to have a look.
    i saw her home featured in ‘Real Living’ magazine last year and loved her style instantly!!

An interesting post about people who become successful in their creative business or blogging or life – change would be a natural process as with success comes lack of time – people would need to prioritise and focus so that might make them not accessible to everyone
    which in turn can seem ‘snobbish’ to some…

I can see it with the popular blogs – people want their attention and feedback but sometimes it just never happens…I think with popular blogs people are more inclined to look and not comment as its not always reciprocated.
    Recently, The Sartorialist and Garance Dore got lots of negative comments on a NY article – people are saying they’ve changed and become elitist, too big for their own shoes etc
    but as you do become famous/popular or in demand then I guess sometimes that is how you come across but its not always the case…

53. Blenda Tyvoll commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 1:34am

Holly, what a breathe of fresh air you are! You are my kind of woman. And thank you once again for reminding us to keep it real…~Blenda

54. Penny Patten commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 2:01am

Love these prints, of course I love flowers on most things!
    Penny Patten´s last blog post ..Chef Alex on Nate

55. Lexi commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 4:58am

I love the bedding! I am so looking for fuchsia pops in my bedroom right now.

As for the thoughts, I most definitely appreciate genuine people and immediately shy away from overly elevated individuals in real life. As someone who is trying to muster up the courage to start my own thing, I find everyone intimidating. Perhaps I have had too few connections with bloggers, but the amount of talent out there amazes me. It seems that you need to promote yourself if your aim is to make a living. So where does self promotion and networking cross the line and become top tier? When it becomes more about that and not design?

(i have never, by the way, found your blog to be in any way snobby!)

56. Zoe commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 10:47am

I am a huge fan of Lisa Stickley’s designs, so fresh and inspiring.

This is a really thought provoking post, here in the UK we have fewer ‘big’ blogs and I do wonder if some have let their fame go to their head and this has left them without basic manners. To me a simple thank you goes a long way and that is what I love about so many ‘big’ blogger in the US, they still speak to people, not just those that they feel are important enought to speak to.

Thank you for raising an interesting discussion.
    Zoe

57. Arianna commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 10:58am

Well Holly you certainly are the real deal ;) I cannot get over how sweet and down to earth you were when I met you in London! Do you know how refreshing that is and so inspiring to see! It is for this reason you deserve every single ounce of success :) It is nice to see how you have remained true to yourself and still keep it real xxx

58. VICTORIA commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 11:01am

Gosh, I’m loving your post, this bedding is divine! Looks so fresh and comfy. So true about your thoughts, I enjoyed reading those words, very well said! You are truly inspirational. Love to visit your blog. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

59. belinda commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 1:35pm

oh holly you’re the sweetest! what a complete surprise – and total delight – to see my name mentioned amongst those fabulous creatives. Are you sure it’s meant to be there?!?!??! ha!

I agree with you – I don’t see why you should change just because you have a little success. You get to a certain place being YOU, so why would you change who you are?

Thanks again xx
    belinda´s last blog post ..preg watch- 39 weeks

60. eileen commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 6:08pm

First of all, I am absolutely entranced by Lisa Stickley’s prints. I would do my whole house in them, top to bottom, so it was a delight to see her new products.

Second, when people turn into noteriety monsters, I think low self esteem is often to blame– depending too much on what others think to determine your own self worth.

61. Shop Sweet Things with Jeanne commented
    February 23rd, 2011 at 11:00pm

Thanks for writing such an inspiring post! I’m a big believer in being humble and staying true to yourself. So glad I’ll be taking your course and knowing that I’ll be learning from the best.

xo, Jeanne

62. Designcracker commented
    February 24th, 2011 at 7:55am

Oh Holly I’ve been following you for quite a few years now and you were the first blog I subscribed to and still the first one I read daily. I feel bad for not leaving comments more often. You my dear define “keeping it real” I am so thrilled about your success over the years and love the beauty and elegance you put out there every day. Thank you,
    Deborah

63. natasha commented
    February 27th, 2011 at 1:46am

lovin this bedding!! simple + graphic….beautiful!! thanks for sharing.

64. Phoebe commented
    February 28th, 2011 at 2:57am

Such gorgeous bedding and true words. It’s very interesting to me how quickly people can become so self important. I think the best thing the rest of us can do is to lead by example: share successes, be kind, and stay true to who we are.

65. Hannah commented
    March 1st, 2011 at 7:47pm

Hi Holly, you’ve raised such an interesting topic and I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s responses. It feels very disappointing when people successful in their field become big-headed – I witnessed it as a journalist with some of those working on national newspapers, and I started to avoid them!

In the blogging world, it can often feel like some of the popular design blogs are quite cliquey and part of ‘club’ which I don’t like. It can feel elitist and like they’ve forgotten what’s it like to start out in the creative world. After all, the beauty of blogging and social networking is to openly share wonderful work and ideas and to encourage and inspire each other – which you achieve daily with Decor8!

Thank you for the intro to Lisa’s beautiful bedding, I’m in London next week so will try to pop in! Interestingly, Anthropologie feels like it’s keeping it real – maybe why we all love it so!
    x (sorry for rambling on!)
    Hannah´s last blog post ..Simple steps to inject dining room glamour

66. Emily White commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 12:57am

What wise words! It doesn’t matter how sucessful you are, the bottom line is that you’d be nothing without your friends, family, fans, customers and those around you, just like you say. And success can be here today and gone tomorrow.

I work part-time at Debenhams and love looking at Lisa’s work- it’s lovely to see something that little bit different on the High Street!
    Emily White´s last blog post ..Little Coco in action