DIY

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

March 14, 2011

Hello everyone! This is Anna-Malin Lindgren from Helt Enkelt visiting decor8 today for my once monthly column, Handmade Home! This month I’m going to share with you one very special cabinet that I’ve used in three different ways in my home. A few years ago I was given this gorgeous old French cabinet by my dear mother. It’s an antique but was already painted when I received it so I figured painting an antique that was already painted wasn’t going to break any rules, right?

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

At the time it was a creamy white but after living with it for a few months I decided to give it some color. If you read my blog you know that I’m not usually drawn to using much color in my home but I thought that an aqua color would make it stand out a bit. At first I placed it in my kitchen, but then I got tired of it there and moved it to my bedroom instead.

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

It looked really nice next to my bed — I placed vintage linens inside and some of my favorite cardigans. It stayed in the bedroom until recently when I decided just a few days ago to move it again into my…

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

DIY One Cabinet, Three Ways

…Studio! Things move around all the time in my home so this is nothing new. :) Maybe you can relate? I thought to freshen up the cabinet that I would add some patterned papers in cheerful colors, placing them over the mirrors in the back of the cabinet. Out of respect for the cabinet (especially since it is antique), I used double-sided tape so that I can easily remove it when I decide to change things up again. As you can see, it is a perfect storage solution for my some of my creative stuff (and you can see Holly’s book on the shelf, some rooms from my home are in her book since she was here last year to photograph it). Who knows… maybe when you see this cabinet again it will be in a new space and in a new color. Only time will tell!

See you next month with some more decorating ideas and inspiration from my home to yours. xo, Anna-Malin

(images: anna-malin lindgren)

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Suzanne March 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I like the way the cabinet has been exposed in the last pictures! It’s fresh and happy with the used color scheme. Really nice!

• Reply Stacey March 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I love the idea of using double-sided tape to put up patterned paper! Now I know what I’ll be doing to my bookshelves this weekend :)

• Reply Claudia March 14, 2011 at 11:46 pm

How gorgeous, I am also going to be decorating my bookshelves with some patterned paper!

• Reply bicocacolors March 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm

exquisite post, the picture and colours are delicious!!!

• Reply Andreia March 14, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Beautiful and versatile cabinet!

• Reply Lisa's Creative Home March 15, 2011 at 12:56 am

A lovely cabinet indeed! I love the color. I can relate to the needed change. I get tired of thigs after awhile and change things around. In that sense my home willl never be “done”.

• Reply Brigitte March 15, 2011 at 1:36 am

What a gorgeous piece! This is just the type of thing that you’ll always have a place for.

• Reply A la mode maven March 15, 2011 at 3:48 am

You have a traveling cabinet, I have a traveling pouf. It’s been in every room in my house! Ha! Here is my Moroccan pouf’s curent home :)
    GREAT POST by the way!! Thank you!! Xoxo Shelli

• Reply Katie Stephenson March 15, 2011 at 5:30 am

Oh my gosh, the images with the linens are just so lovely, I want to reach out and touch them. The cabinet and styling options are so fantastic, but the images are really inspiring me to work on my photography above anything else, they are just so lovely..the light, the feel.

• Reply ARTiculateART March 15, 2011 at 6:42 am

love the colour of the cabinet!!!

• Reply SecondHandRosie March 15, 2011 at 7:58 am

Ya gotta love a piece of furniture that is so versatile AND pretty! Everywhere you’ve used it it nestles in and seems as though it’s always been there – just doing its job and looking fabulous all the while!

• Reply elisa rathje March 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

so great to have a piece that is so flexible! it’s delightful for showing things off, you know just how to dress it. i think the long history of painting antique furniture is permission enough x

• Reply raspberry essence March 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

love that blue!

• Reply Robin Baron March 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Anna, we love that you kept the warmth and patina with this piece through the “upgrade.” Infusing each piece with your personality is what it’s all about. Bravo!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

So, so pretty! Such a great piece, beautiful color and you are like me….constantly moving everything around & repurposing them! :) Love it and love your monthly feature!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Lisa H. March 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Lovely! I have some shelves that I painted a similar blue (but mine are cheapola Ikea, not a lovely antique). It’s a wonderful color.

My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts because I’m always wanting to move furniture into different rooms. I can totally relate!

• Reply leslie March 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

A really beautiful piece of furniture! Thank you for sharing the transformations with us! I love seeing it filled with all those pretty patterned papers. Covering the mirrors using the paper and tape is a great idea too. Thank you!!!

• Reply Evelyn March 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Beautiful, lovely colourful cabinet!!! ? love it
    greetings, Evelyn

• Reply Hannah March 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm

LOVE it! and it’s in my favoritest color right now… and all the pretty papers and photos and oh my… so pretty! so inspiring! thank you :P

• Reply MD Interior Design March 15, 2011 at 11:57 pm

What a beautiful aqua! It really suits the vintage cabinet and oh those cardigans just look gorgeous and now with the papers and storage items etc, different colours and textures it looks amazing all over again. Thankyou for sharing your creativity and such a precious part of your home with us.
    x Michelle

• Reply Anastasia March 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

its gorgeous – i love the colour and by using it often makes it even more special gift from your mother!!
    i love it as a stationery/office supplies unit – so wonderful!
    reminds me I really need to clear out and my workspace! haha a never ending mess!

• Reply Rebecca Behrens March 16, 2011 at 5:35 am

I really appreciate how create you are with shelves – I have a similar shelve, I call a “baker’s shelve” and the piece has functioned in several different rooms of my home with some creative touches. Love your work!.

• Reply vosgesparis March 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm

That blue is a color I like a lot as well… you know my home is not colorfull as well… ;) I am looking forward to the bloggers event where Holly will present the book in Amsterdam
    And to you anna congratulations on being in the book!

• Reply colby evans June 5, 2011 at 10:53 pm

i LOVE this piece so much! would you share the name of the paint color and brand? i’d love to use it on a bench of mine for photography!
    thanks, colby