Handmade Home: One Cabinet, Three Ways

Hello everyone! This is Anna-Malin Lindgren from Helt Enkelt visiting decor8 today for my once monthly column, Handmade Home! This month I’m going to share with you one very special cabinet that I’ve used in three different ways in my home. A few years ago I was given this gorgeous old French cabinet by my dear mother. It’s an antique but was already painted when I received it so I figured painting an antique that was already painted wasn’t going to break any rules, right?

At the time it was a creamy white but after living with it for a few months I decided to give it some color. If you read my blog you know that I’m not usually drawn to using much color in my home but I thought that an aqua color would make it stand out a bit. At first I placed it in my kitchen, but then I got tired of it there and moved it to my bedroom instead.

It looked really nice next to my bed — I placed vintage linens inside and some of my favorite cardigans. It stayed in the bedroom until recently when I decided just a few days ago to move it again into my…

…Studio! Things move around all the time in my home so this is nothing new. :) Maybe you can relate? I thought to freshen up the cabinet that I would add some patterned papers in cheerful colors, placing them over the mirrors in the back of the cabinet. Out of respect for the cabinet (especially since it is antique), I used double-sided tape so that I can easily remove it when I decide to change things up again. As you can see, it is a perfect storage solution for my some of my creative stuff (and you can see Holly’s book on the shelf, some rooms from my home are in her book since she was here last year to photograph it). Who knows… maybe when you see this cabinet again it will be in a new space and in a new color. Only time will tell!

See you next month with some more decorating ideas and inspiration from my home to yours. xo, Anna-Malin

(images: anna-malin lindgren)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers on March 14, 2011

1. Suzanne commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:04pm

I like the way the cabinet has been exposed in the last pictures! It’s fresh and happy with the used color scheme. Really nice!

2. Stacey commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:04pm

I love the idea of using double-sided tape to put up patterned paper! Now I know what I’ll be doing to my bookshelves this weekend :)
    Stacey´s last blog post ..Oh- Dad

3. Claudia commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:46pm

How gorgeous, I am also going to be decorating my bookshelves with some patterned paper!
    Claudia´s last blog post ..Springy

4. bicocacolors commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:52pm

exquisite post, the picture and colours are delicious!!!

5. Andreia commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 11:59pm

Beautiful and versatile cabinet!

6. Lisa's Creative Home commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 12:56am

A lovely cabinet indeed! I love the color. I can relate to the needed change. I get tired of thigs after awhile and change things around. In that sense my home willl never be “done”.
    Lisa’s Creative Home´s last blog post ..Heavenly Hoosier Table! A Country Makeover On A Budget

7. Brigitte commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 1:36am

What a gorgeous piece! This is just the type of thing that you’ll always have a place for.
    Brigitte´s last blog post ..By- Maddie

8. A la mode maven commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 3:48am

You have a traveling cabinet, I have a traveling pouf. It’s been in every room in my house! Ha! Here is my Moroccan pouf’s curent home :)
    GREAT POST by the way!! Thank you!! Xoxo Shelli

9. Katie Stephenson commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 5:30am

Oh my gosh, the images with the linens are just so lovely, I want to reach out and touch them. The cabinet and styling options are so fantastic, but the images are really inspiring me to work on my photography above anything else, they are just so lovely..the light, the feel.
    Katie Stephenson´s last blog post ..accepting scholarship submissions- gocco studio

10. ARTiculateART commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 6:42am

love the colour of the cabinet!!!
    ARTiculateART´s last blog post ..Versace SS 2011 – Dresses

11. SecondHandRosie commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 7:58am

Ya gotta love a piece of furniture that is so versatile AND pretty! Everywhere you’ve used it it nestles in and seems as though it’s always been there – just doing its job and looking fabulous all the while!

12. elisa rathje commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 10:27am

so great to have a piece that is so flexible! it’s delightful for showing things off, you know just how to dress it. i think the long history of painting antique furniture is permission enough x

13. raspberry essence commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 11:03am

love that blue!
    raspberry essence´s last blog post ..thank you

14. Robin Baron commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 2:42pm

Anna, we love that you kept the warmth and patina with this piece through the “upgrade.” Infusing each piece with your personality is what it’s all about. Bravo!

15. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 4:51pm

So, so pretty! Such a great piece, beautiful color and you are like me….constantly moving everything around & repurposing them! :) Love it and love your monthly feature!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap &amp Chic

16. Lisa H. commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 7:33pm

Lovely! I have some shelves that I painted a similar blue (but mine are cheapola Ikea, not a lovely antique). It’s a wonderful color.

My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts because I’m always wanting to move furniture into different rooms. I can totally relate!
    Lisa H.´s last blog post ..A sea change

17. leslie commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 7:37pm

A really beautiful piece of furniture! Thank you for sharing the transformations with us! I love seeing it filled with all those pretty patterned papers. Covering the mirrors using the paper and tape is a great idea too. Thank you!!!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Clear Blue

18. Evelyn commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 10:15pm

Beautiful, lovely colourful cabinet!!! ? love it
    greetings, Evelyn

19. Hannah commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 10:55pm

LOVE it! and it’s in my favoritest color right now… and all the pretty papers and photos and oh my… so pretty! so inspiring! thank you :P
    Hannah´s last blog post ..oh the possiblities!

20. MD Interior Design commented
    March 15th, 2011 at 11:57pm

What a beautiful aqua! It really suits the vintage cabinet and oh those cardigans just look gorgeous and now with the papers and storage items etc, different colours and textures it looks amazing all over again. Thankyou for sharing your creativity and such a precious part of your home with us.
    x Michelle

21. Anastasia commented
    March 16th, 2011 at 12:51am

its gorgeous – i love the colour and by using it often makes it even more special gift from your mother!!
    i love it as a stationery/office supplies unit – so wonderful!
    reminds me I really need to clear out and my workspace! haha a never ending mess!

22. Rebecca Behrens commented
    March 16th, 2011 at 5:35am

I really appreciate how create you are with shelves – I have a similar shelve, I call a “baker’s shelve” and the piece has functioned in several different rooms of my home with some creative touches. Love your work!.

23. vosgesparis commented
    March 16th, 2011 at 8:19pm

That blue is a color I like a lot as well… you know my home is not colorfull as well… ;) I am looking forward to the bloggers event where Holly will present the book in Amsterdam
    And to you anna congratulations on being in the book!
    vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Little black books

24. colby evans commented
    June 5th, 2011 at 10:53pm

i LOVE this piece so much! would you share the name of the paint color and brand? i’d love to use it on a bench of mine for photography!
    thanks, colby