Shopping + Products

Spring With West Elm

March 22, 2011

West Elm contacted me last week with their latest offerings for spring (wowie zowie, so pretty!) but I’ve been a bit behind this month since I’m also teaching a huge class online so I’m reviewing this a bit late (eep!). I know that it’s been hopping around blogland already but I feel inspired by it so I’m posting anyway since I’m a huge David Stark fan, I know who isn’t, and the David Stark Collection for West Elm is gorgeous!

Spring With West Elm

David was inspired by the Mediterranean light and the clear blue sea along with his own roots as a painter — so he decided to combine raw canvas and gesso to create baskets and bottles wrapped in artist’s canvas and porcelain soup cans that can be used as vases. I love his dinnerware splashed with gorgeous blue tones with that painterly vibe to them — it’s a treat to see this! Blue and white is such a great palette for warmer weather, I always feel so invigorated when I view various blues that resemble ocean water, they can range from moody blues to exhilarating blues. Paired with white along with modern lines and lots of natural texture and the look can suddenly become quite nautical chic with a more high end Greek resort vibe.

Spring With West Elm

Spring With West Elm

Spring With West Elm

Spring With West Elm

Spring With West Elm

I also like seeing Tennessee-based husband and wife design duo Bill Pritchard and Jane Gray from Stray Dog Designs with a collection at WE as well because I’ve followed their work since 2006 and love what they are doing with papier-mâché and I think that in the right setting their pendant light is divine and a statement piece. I don’t want to gush but by golly gee I love seeing what’s coming out of WE lately… how inspiring. And the styling and photography – spot on!

(images: west elm)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Glenda Childers March 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I just discovered West Elm, since my move to Chicago. A great find.

• Reply jenn March 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

What an amazing spring collection. I’ve really been loving WE for the last few seasons. Their offerings feel much more original that the other big box home stores, and I really appreciate that.

• Reply Shari March 22, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oooohhh…. so fresh, bright and Mediterranean! I’m loving those blues and whites. It reminds me of the Bahamas, too, actually… the place I stayed was white stucco, and the ocean was so blue and just outside. I’ve been in love with West Elm since the Capiz lamp days, ha ha… anything to make me feel like I’m on vacation!

Hey, don’t those dishes kind of remind you of something that Leslie would paint in a color story? :-)

• Reply decor8 March 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm

@Shari I was thinking the exact same thing…

• Reply Sara March 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Love it!!! I literally gasped when I saw that light fixture…wow! I wish I had a good place for it :). I can’t wait to get the catalog. Thanks for sharing your take on it, Holly!

• Reply Miss Walker March 22, 2011 at 11:57 pm

So gorgeous! I wish we had West Elm here in Australia! Miss Walker xoxo

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 23, 2011 at 1:15 am

So, so great! Love this, and love that stray dog designs has work in there too( love them) Those vessels are so pretty….

• Reply able mabel March 23, 2011 at 2:00 am

That light fixture above the table is definitely a statement piece! :)

• Reply ArticulateArt March 23, 2011 at 5:46 am

The lamp reminds me of Medusa’s hair!

• Reply Marianne March 23, 2011 at 6:34 am

It all is very lovely, I agree! i wish though that I was able to visit their site myself. I actually find it strange that they ask you to do a review while you have a large group of non us followers that are not able to visit their site.
    Maybe you can ask them about that(?)
    Take care,

• Reply decor8 March 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

@Marianne – I noticed that too with customers from some countries being unable to view the WE site – and I have no clue why! I can see it here in Germany though…

• Reply juliette March 23, 2011 at 8:03 am

Ditto to the dishes being very Leslie! I am in love with those dishes…no lie. If I were Stateside I’d definitely be tempted to supplement my everyday place settings with some of these…or a LOT of these pieces!

Am also loving the textured white accents…these would totally work well in any room in our home.

• Reply mijk March 23, 2011 at 8:24 am

Am I the only one who just can’t see their website? Not now or if linked via decor8 but like never.
    I just get this message over and over again:
    Sorry, due to website restrictions we are unable to display the requested page.

feel kinda left out!

• Reply Casey Craig Art March 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

LOVE the canvas flowers and the painterly dishes….thanks for sharing this!

• Reply hena tayeb March 23, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Okay that’s it. Off to go win the lottery, rob a bank which ever comes first so I can go on a shopping spree!

• Reply Lynn March 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm

As I commented once before, Holly, I’ve never been able to access their website from the Netherlands, and it really is something that West Elm should remedy: the web is, after all, world-wide. It is very frustrating, very discriminating, and very poor public relations.

• Reply Lori March 24, 2011 at 12:50 am

Ann – thank you!
    As a photographer and jewelry artisan your blog inspires me. I draw so much from things around me that I sometimes forget to see the obvious -I love West Elm – inspiration from the pages of a catalog. Thanks, Lori

• Reply CharlyCha March 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm

wahouu, wonderful, thanks and in french “chapi chapeau” !!!

• Reply Marianne March 27, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Thank you for responding to my question. It is interesting that you can view their site. i have the same problem with the Pottery Barn site. I believe they both belong to the same company.
    If you are interested you could take a look at this blogpost by Nutmeggirl and the comments

• Reply Debra March 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

The blue dinnerware is hot, cool and perfect for outdoor dinner Party this summer! Great stuff!

• Reply patience March 29, 2011 at 1:45 am

please may I have the chandelier and the dishes that appear to have watercolor paint on them. thank you.