Spring With West Elm

West Elm contacted me last week with their latest offerings for spring (wowie zowie, so pretty!) but I’ve been a bit behind this month since I’m also teaching a huge class online so I’m reviewing this a bit late (eep!). I know that it’s been hopping around blogland already but I feel inspired by it so I’m posting anyway since I’m a huge David Stark fan, I know who isn’t, and the David Stark Collection for West Elm is gorgeous!

West Elm Spring 2011

David was inspired by the Mediterranean light and the clear blue sea along with his own roots as a painter — so he decided to combine raw canvas and gesso to create baskets and bottles wrapped in artist’s canvas and porcelain soup cans that can be used as vases. I love his dinnerware splashed with gorgeous blue tones with that painterly vibe to them — it’s a treat to see this! Blue and white is such a great palette for warmer weather, I always feel so invigorated when I view various blues that resemble ocean water, they can range from moody blues to exhilarating blues. Paired with white along with modern lines and lots of natural texture and the look can suddenly become quite nautical chic with a more high end Greek resort vibe.

I also like seeing Tennessee-based husband and wife design duo Bill Pritchard and Jane Gray from Stray Dog Designs with a collection at WE as well because I’ve followed their work since 2006 and love what they are doing with papier-mâché and I think that in the right setting their pendant light is divine and a statement piece. I don’t want to gush but by golly gee I love seeing what’s coming out of WE lately… how inspiring. And the styling and photography – spot on!

(images: west elm)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on March 22, 2011

1. Glenda Childers commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 10:33pm

I just discovered West Elm, since my move to Chicago. A great find.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..How to Manage Transitions part three A Lovely Example of Saying HELLO

2. jenn commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 10:51pm

What an amazing spring collection. I’ve really been loving WE for the last few seasons. Their offerings feel much more original that the other big box home stores, and I really appreciate that.
    jenn´s last blog post ..renovate hallway reveal

3. Shari commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 10:58pm

Oooohhh…. so fresh, bright and Mediterranean! I’m loving those blues and whites. It reminds me of the Bahamas, too, actually… the place I stayed was white stucco, and the ocean was so blue and just outside. I’ve been in love with West Elm since the Capiz lamp days, ha ha… anything to make me feel like I’m on vacation!

Hey, don’t those dishes kind of remind you of something that Leslie would paint in a color story? :-)
    Shari´s last blog post ..Flea Market Style – Sharing A Favorite Book

4. Sara commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 11:02pm

Love it!!! I literally gasped when I saw that light fixture…wow! I wish I had a good place for it :). I can’t wait to get the catalog. Thanks for sharing your take on it, Holly!

5. decor8 commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 11:04pm

@Shari I was thinking the exact same thing…

6. Miss Walker commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 11:57pm

So gorgeous! I wish we had West Elm here in Australia! Miss Walker xoxo
    Miss Walker´s last blog post ..2011 Trend Alert- Typography

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 1:15am

So, so great! Love this, and love that stray dog designs has work in there too( love them) Those vessels are so pretty….
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap &amp Chic

8. able mabel commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 2:00am

That light fixture above the table is definitely a statement piece! :)

9. ArticulateArt commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 5:46am

The lamp reminds me of Medusa’s hair!

10. Marianne commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 6:34am

It all is very lovely, I agree! i wish though that I was able to visit their site myself. I actually find it strange that they ask you to do a review while you have a large group of non us followers that are not able to visit their site.
    Maybe you can ask them about that(?)
    Take care,
    Marianne.
    Marianne´s last blog post ..today I ♡

11. juliette commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 8:03am

Ditto to the dishes being very Leslie! I am in love with those dishes…no lie. If I were Stateside I’d definitely be tempted to supplement my everyday place settings with some of these…or a LOT of these pieces!

Am also loving the textured white accents…these would totally work well in any room in our home.
    juliette´s last blog post ..German DIY e-mag- Eigenwerk

12. mijk commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 8:24am

Am I the only one who just can’t see their website? Not now or if linked via decor8 but like never.
    I just get this message over and over again:
    Sorry, due to website restrictions we are unable to display the requested page.

feel kinda left out!
    mijk´s last blog post ..Honeymoon souvenir

13. decor8 commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 11:01am

@Marianne – I noticed that too with customers from some countries being unable to view the WE site – and I have no clue why! I can see it here in Germany though…

14. Casey Craig Art commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 11:57am

LOVE the canvas flowers and the painterly dishes….thanks for sharing this!

15. hena tayeb commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 7:51pm

Okay that’s it. Off to go win the lottery, rob a bank which ever comes first so I can go on a shopping spree!
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Something New Something Sold

16. Lynn commented
    March 23rd, 2011 at 8:47pm

As I commented once before, Holly, I’ve never been able to access their website from the Netherlands, and it really is something that West Elm should remedy: the web is, after all, world-wide. It is very frustrating, very discriminating, and very poor public relations.

17. Lori commented
    March 24th, 2011 at 12:50am

Ann – thank you!
    As a photographer and jewelry artisan your blog inspires me. I draw so much from things around me that I sometimes forget to see the obvious -I love West Elm – inspiration from the pages of a catalog. Thanks, Lori

18. CharlyCha commented
    March 25th, 2011 at 9:22pm

wahouu, wonderful, thanks and in french “chapi chapeau” !!!
    CharlyCha´s last blog post ..le printemps

19. Marianne commented
    March 27th, 2011 at 6:34pm

Thank you for responding to my question. It is interesting that you can view their site. i have the same problem with the Pottery Barn site. I believe they both belong to the same company.
    If you are interested you could take a look at this blogpost by Nutmeggirl and the comments
    Marianne´s last blog post ..today I ♡

20. Debra commented
    March 28th, 2011 at 5:29pm

The blue dinnerware is hot, cool and perfect for outdoor dinner Party this summer! Great stuff!

21. patience commented
    March 29th, 2011 at 1:45am

please may I have the chandelier and the dishes that appear to have watercolor paint on them. thank you.
    patience´s last blog post ..what i made