Books + Magazines

Inspired By StyleCookie

April 29, 2011

When Anke and Sanne, two stylists and a photographers from The Netherlands, wrote to me about StyleCookie I knew I had to share their new e-zine with you. They launched StyleCookie (yes it is also one word, it is considered trendy in the Netherlands and Germany to combine two English words into one it seems) as an inspiring space online in the form of an e-zine and a blog about decoration and inspiring products for the home that changes biweekly.

Inspired By StyleCookie

Their latest theme is Paper, in Dutch it’s called “Papier en Vliegwerk”. Since mother’s day is coming up, they created a delightful mother and daughter theme woven into their 8 pages to inspire women everywhere. They have lots of products made from paper and also some DIY decoration ideas to make at home. Here are some images that Anke and Sanne sent to me to share on decor8, I hope that you feel inspired after seeing them and that you check out their site for more beautiful things to feast on.

Inspired By StyleCookie

Inspired By StyleCookie

Inspired By StyleCookie

Inspired By StyleCookie

Inspired By StyleCookie

Don’t you just love the Dutch! I do, I’m such a fan of everything they do with interiors – products, displays, books, magazines, all of it is amazing. I’m constantly in awe by their eye and talent for thinking out of the box. I remember when I attended Dutch Design Week in 2006 on assignment for Domino magazine, it was my first time at the Design Academy Eindhoven and I was completely blown away by the talent. I remember walking through the exhibit halls looking at the products each student designed feeling absolutely stunned by everything. I remember talking to a student who said that the current goal of young Dutch designers was to reinterpret “grandmother’s things” into modern wares for modern times without losing their sense of place and culture. You really can see this as a theme in many designs coming out of The Netherlands and I love it. The nod to history is respectful, but the need to update is vital.

I’ll be back on Monday, so have a lovely weekend friends and meet me back here then for another week of decor8ing fun!
Also, a big thanks to InStyle magazine (US) for the very special mention about me and my new book. I really appreciate the huge press love! :)

(images: stylecookie)

You Might Also Like

43 Comments

• Reply Nix April 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

What a fantastic spread. I love the bright summer colors mixed with the concrete!

• Reply lisette April 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Wauw, you made me really quite with so much warmth feelings and memories of our Netherlands. Really lovely post!

• Reply vosgesparis April 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Love it to bits.. the ideas the styling the pictures and they already inspred me to make a change to the paper lamps I have.. simply very very well done!

And ain;t the little girl beautiful all dressed in Orange for queens day tomorrow already !

Helemaal leuk wij hollandertjes toch;)

Happy weekend miss Holly!

• Reply hena tayeb April 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm

So incredibly fun..

• Reply Holly April 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Oh how sweet.

• Reply Sonia April 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm

stylecookie is really an innovative concept here at the lowlands. You can click at the products and directly go to the webshops. Anke and Sanne are very talented and it’s a pleasure to be part of this project as a webshop owner!
    groetjes.

• Reply Cynthia@ Beach Coast Style April 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

This is what I love is creative inspiration and especially with paper. I am a paper, paint and ribbon lover!

• Reply Angie April 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

LOVE!!! What great ideas for quick ways to freshen up a space or decorate for a party! I’m a big fan of paper creations with an obsession with pretty paper bordering on dangerous…. definitely feel the need to play with paper again!

• Reply Barbara April 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Now, this is very inspiring. I love every bit of it!
    Definitely going to check out their e-zine! As always thank you for sharing such marvellous news. – Barbara

• Reply Chloe C April 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm

So many nice things today, I didn’t know where to put the comment!
    Here it is on top – I enjoyed all the posts and pictures.

• Reply Sheedia April 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

The art is not the only beautiful things in this, but the way the pictures are taken makes it even more beautiful.
    The one with the little girl jumping is my favorite.

Prettige Koninginedag!

• Reply Dani Marie April 30, 2011 at 12:34 am

:) Just passed along the One Lovely Blog Award to you!

• Reply Mrs Bok April 30, 2011 at 2:03 am

Terrific styling! Love it. And I have that exact fox cushion!!

• Reply Nat@ dear little house April 30, 2011 at 5:03 am

Ohhhh Paper and old, textured walls! Two of my favourite things!

I like this combining two words thing. Perhaps I could start using it in ordinary conversation? “This morning, because it was RainyCold I decided to play with FunkyPaper in my DearLittleHouse.”

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold April 30, 2011 at 5:53 am

beautiful images..i’ll be sure to check out the new e-zine..have a lovely weekend, holly! xx meenal

• Reply nap atelier April 30, 2011 at 6:09 am

StyleCookie is fantastic!! Thank you :)
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Napatelier

• Reply Cristina April 30, 2011 at 11:15 am

I love those garlands, so nice and colourful!! good idea! (and they seem easy to do)

• Reply hearttypat April 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

i wish i have this kinda colour coordination!

• Reply Amelia@ Wind Chimes April 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm

The banderetas (the one on the second photo) was my daughters’ room’s design layout. Instead of small flags, we hanged some colorful Japanese papers.

You should try it too. It’s fun and funky.

• Reply Glenda Childers April 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

There is so much whimsy and joy in this work . . . we all need that.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Pandora May 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love the sweetness of the banderetas in the second photo, I am inspired to create something similar for my sons birthday, it just looks wonderful!

• Reply Katie Carter May 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Simple, beautiful concepts presented in stunning photos. Incredibly stylish and inspirational – its great that we should teach our children how to create beautiful things from such simple basic supplies.

Not using the pre-cut plastic Disney supplies but the very basics of paper, lace, paint and a dollop of imagination.

Lovely post :)

• Reply Maike Timmermann May 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

We Love your Blog!

• Reply Darcy Davidson May 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I love these party ideas! Perfect for a simple get together with friends, or birthday parties. I love the j’taime pillow too. I love the Dutch and their simplistic designs.

• Reply Urska M. May 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Yay, new e-zine <3 Already checked and I like!
    Thanks for sharing the news :)

– Urska

• Reply {beth} May 2, 2011 at 12:43 am

love this …these are so delightful

• Reply Eva / Sycamore Street Press May 2, 2011 at 1:50 am

Thanks for introducing us to StyleCookie! What a fantastic looking site. I , too, think the Dutch have amazing style. When I lived in Belgium, I loved to cross the border when I had the chance.

• Reply Eli Rush May 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

Haha this is amazing! I recently discovered your blog, and I love it.

Added to my favorites, and can’t wait to read more.

What inspired you to write? I’m trying to develop my niche/voice in the blogging world and am always looking for tips.

I think you might enjoy reading my photography story blog:

• Reply paula Mills May 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

Hi Holly, I received your book in the post over the weekend and was thrilled to see one of our prints on the walls of a nursery in your book (typo alphabet on pg 223)! Well done on the book it looks great! Regards Paula – Sweet William

• Reply decor8 May 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

@Paula – I just took a look, thanks for pointing that out – yep that is your work shining there for all to see. :) That is in the bedroom of Leslie Shewring’s daughter, Sienna. :)

• Reply thea May 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

oooh I just LOVE it! So glad you told us about it. Great idea for Mother’s day too :) We have a little craft project inside the latest Spoonful which might be perfect for moms too… people should come take a peek if they like – hehe

thea

• Reply Renee @ eatliveshop.com May 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I’m off to check out StyleCookie! It looks great so far!

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo May 2, 2011 at 8:35 pm

How can you not be inspired by them and their work??/ i love their website as well.

• Reply Lynne, Tea for Joy May 2, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Lovely! Just saw your book in Easy Living too.

• Reply Angel@ | 77inspire | May 3, 2011 at 12:19 am

Cute shoot. The second photo is so lovely and happy.

• Reply Angela Steyn May 3, 2011 at 3:59 am

An absolute winner! I LOVE this… thank you, thank you, thank you!

Angela x

• Reply nyx May 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

this is so, so gorgeous! thank you for the link.

• Reply Krystal Lee May 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm

such a lovely post, makes me want to sit cross legged on the floor with scissors, surrounded by lots and lots of paper :)

krystal x

• Reply Niki Fulton May 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Lovely happy pictures – funny as I bought one of the post cards (in image one) in Edinburgh last week. Small world!

• Reply FIDM Fashion Club May 4, 2011 at 3:26 am

Style Cookie is a great website and the Dutch do have a fabulous sense of style! The pictures were great and it made me want to visit my nearest craft store to see what I can create! Love it!

• Reply Leo May 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Love this post! The colors, the expressions on the girl’s face, the paper. Love it!

• Reply Alistair October 24, 2012 at 11:05 am

Good design and layouts for the photos – excellent pictures as well – well thought out and the colour contrasts are great :)

• Reply Tyler Jones December 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

awesome site and amazing pictures. I love them all.