Shop Tours

MUD Australia

May 5, 2011

I thought I’d post lightly for the next few days as I’m still feeling under the weather and need to take it easy so I can spring back soon! How are you doing? Are you well? I certainly hope so. Seems though that lots of people are sick right now, at least many of my contacts online seem to have kids or partners who are battling the same strange cold that I have that doesn’t seem to go away like all of the others. Boo, cold! I thought though that I’d pop in to share with you another inspiring shop tour from Australia photographer, Jillian Leiboff, who pops in to decor8 quite regularly to share the shops that she loves from her home country.

MUD Australia

I wish I had a pro like Jillian camping out in every corner of the world shooting shops (and/or homes, everything inspirational!) to share on decor8 because I really enjoy seeing what stores are like in certain places that I don’t get to visit too often (or in this case, never ever as I’ve not been to Australia before – have you?). Anyway, today’s gorgeous shop tour shot by fabulous Jillian is located in Sydney and belongs to the famous ceramics company Mud. Would you like to take a peek?

MUD Australia

Notice the sign in red, it says something you may not expect… I love fun little details, don’t you?

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

For as long as I’ve been blogging, I’ve been in love with Mud products — I mean, who isn’t? Their smooth matte finishes, dreamy pastel colors, yummy grey and white tones — it’s a playground in this store for any lover of tactile, quality goods and a full-on amusement park for the senses if you also happen to adore ceramics and collect/use them regularly. I think we would all love to own Mud ceramics – I can’t seem to locate a dealer near to where I live but perhaps in the future… Do you own anything from them? I know they are a favorite of food stylists, for good reason…

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

MUD Australia

Note: Mud at 134 Edgecliff Road in Woollahra (shown above) is closed for renovations until June 1st.

A special thank you to wonderful Jillian and of course, Mud owner James Kirton for permission to share these images on decor8.

(images: jillian leiboff)

44 Comments

• Reply Estela May 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

trop beau!!! I adore the yellow/pale green combination!!!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I’ve been to australia a few times and to the mud shop as well..love their ceramics..really beautiful..thanks for sharing, holly..hope you are feeling better today..I would like you to visit my blog to check out the images of my daughter’s room which i recently decorated..It would be lovely to get your opinion..take care..xx meenal

• Reply tinajo May 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Looks like a place where I could spend lots of money and time..! :-D

I LOVE to see stores and shops from other parts of the world; even food stores are fun since they are so different from what I´m used to.

• Reply BODIE and FOU May 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I hope you’ll feel better soon, it’s such a silly weather. It was gorgeous in London for the past few days and today it is incredibly cold!

I’ve been going through my mum’s photo albums….check this shot http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2011/05/house-on-beach.html

Isn’t it gorgeous!!?

• Reply Jane May 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Ah, Holly! I’m so sorry to hear you’re still under the weather. Maybe after all the adrenalin of your action-packed past few weeks, your body is telling you to slow down ?.

I adore Mud products and hope to buy some soon. It’s crazy – we lived in Sydney for 11 years but never managed to get to the shop. It’s certainly on my destination list next time we visit!

J x

• Reply Tracey Chalk May 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

That peach is delightful!

• Reply cafenoHut May 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm

What lovely colors… Simple and pure design. I love all products. I wish I could go there. But it is too far away.

• Reply ines May 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Hi there!

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the sign ist great. I was thinking of it, ’cause I read the text in second place and first looked at the pictures. Normally it would be “Sorry, we’re closed” stand on the sign, isn’t it?!

I hope your are a bit better today then the day before. Take care.

ines

• Reply Annika May 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I really liked the soft/light pink stuff! Would love to have a sip of tea from one of those tea cups… :o)

• Reply sally May 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Get well soon

• Reply Jenny May 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Very clean, simple and elegant all at the same time. Truly speaking to me. Feel better soon. I think it is wise to take it easy. As a working woman, who is raising 5 children, going to school and preparing for foot surgery her self. I can see how easy it can be to push your self.

• Reply Emily May 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Gorgeous! Wish we had a shop like that in Dublin!

• Reply Elisa May 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

sooo beautiful colors!!!

• Reply Katie Truelove May 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

What a beautiful shop! My favorite are the coral-colored dishes:)

• Reply Urska M. May 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Whoa, the shop looks lovely! I would go there if I could.
    Sadly is too far away from Slovenia :/
    + Wish that you recover soon Holly! <3

Btw, I received Decorate yesterday and is super gorgeous :)
    I'm so happy that i bought the book! Worth it all :)
    Congrats again! Xoxo

Urska @ Live.Create.Inspire

• Reply Becky D@KingsDownRoad May 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Oh my – looks like a candy store to me!! Now I’m going to try to see if there is a dealer close to me….

The problem would be picking a color.

• Reply Andreia May 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful store! I love the way they put the ceramic bowls (at the second photo)!

• Reply Wrenaissance Art May 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

That logo is a terrific example of using typography as illustration. The “M” entering the “u” is a great symbolic depiction of thumbs opening up the spinning lump of clay on the wheel. Kudos to the designer!

• Reply Miriam@FJällhem May 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Absolutely love it!!

• Reply Shari May 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

That looks like a fun shop! Love all the colors and the shapes of the bowls.

I hope you’re feeling better… since you’re blogging, you must be! xox

• Reply Tanya May 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I definitely need more color in my dishware.

• Reply Courtney May 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I have several Mud Australia pieces, the fish plate, small bowl and round platter, but I never use them because I am TERRIFIED of breaking or chipping them. They are so delicate and beautiful I just display them for now.

Hope you feel better soon! I’m going on day 6 of laryngitis. Grrr…

• Reply Cat@Breakfast to Bed May 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

So well curated and beautiful. I am so jealous it isn’t near me!

• Reply Ariana May 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Gorgeous! I love the thinness of the ceramics– so elegant, simple and delicate. And the color palette is sublime!

• Reply Lauren May 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I have never been to Australia, but if/when I do go I am going to have to make sure that I drop in here!

I love all the gorgeous colors, they’re so pretty. I noticed the “open sign” and laughed out loud to myself before I scrolled down and noticed you wrote about it! :)

• Reply Niki Fulton May 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I hope you get better soon. Try my friends amazing get well quick juice. 1 x raw beetroot, 1 x orange, 1 x apple, 1 x chunk ginger root and put through your juicer. It REALLY does work. Nice post even though you are under par.

• Reply Afi May 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Love those amazing pastel colors, like light mint and pink! Total yum!

• Reply Maria May 5, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I just love this!!! Tanks!

Maria

• Reply Laura May 6, 2011 at 12:05 am

I adore MUD! But don’t know where to start – so many pretty colours, but the neutrals also would be amazing. must visit when they re-open.

• Reply Susan Reaney May 6, 2011 at 12:36 am

Those are so beautiful. I could see them in my own home! We were in Australia about ten years ago and I was dazzled by their art. I had no idea!

I love your blog so much and cannot wait to see your book!

Fondly,
    Suz

• Reply Lisa Lyons May 6, 2011 at 1:48 am

Love the MUD dishes…makes me want to throw all mine out and by theirs! I loved the red ones! They really popped!

Lisa

• Reply Christine Kemp May 6, 2011 at 2:37 am

Hi there,
    Being an Aussie girl I love that you are showing our quirky sense of humour. I especially love the crispness of the ceramics and the colours just create a sense of calmness in me which i need at the moment. Love this blog and site.

• Reply Sarah May 6, 2011 at 2:37 am

Wow! they are gorgeous! I would love to own some! is Mud available in the US???

• Reply Leone May 6, 2011 at 4:07 am

These are so beautiful. I especially like the clean, simple lines. Lovely colors too!

• Reply julie May 6, 2011 at 6:21 am

Beautiful colours as always Mud – the watermelon-y red is gorgeous. I love the combination of glossy interior glaze and the matt glaze on the outside too. Yes, I noticed that sign, very cheeky, “Sorry we’re open” (in other words, your wallet will be emptied, ha ha!).

Congratulations on the book being so successful!
    x

• Reply Rocio Rincon May 6, 2011 at 7:13 am

I hope you feel better soon! Lovely images!

• Reply Ewelina May 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

Why in Australia? Such beautiful places should be located closer to me, in Denmark :) Mud seems to have a really overwhelming collection of what I would call retro kitchen and dining gadgets. I really like the colour selection and soft forms.
    Cheers,
    Ewelina

• Reply Debbie May 6, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi Holly. I’d be delighted to be you Durban South Africa shop reviewer. ;) Ill be interviewing quite a few in the days to come. Let me know.
    Debx

• Reply Lily Labyrinth May 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Gorgeous colour range!

• Reply Marlene May 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Living in Australia seems to pay of :-)

• Reply nieves May 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I would certainly buy many of these if they were in switzerland!! Wonderful stuff thanks Holly for sharing

• Reply Lizet May 9, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love beautiful ceramics!

• Reply Olivia August 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

really love this shop, thanks !

• Reply Kristina Crestin June 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Love your post! I’ve been looking for something like this for a kitchen job I am working on. Now I’ve found out … now just to find a retailer near me to see colors in person. Thanks for all the photos!