Decorating Tips

Easy Porch Decorating

May 8, 2011

I usually post about my personal life and home on Haus Maus, but these photos capture what Sunday in the springtime means to me quite nicely so I want to share them with you in case you are doing a little weekend blog reading. You may also find it inspiring for your own porch or spare room at home.

Easy Porch Decorating

I recently put together my porch (as in two days ago, before photo here), it was empty a few days ago but my friend Tinna gave me a vintage French iron bed that I turned into a little place to sit using a thick piece of foam which I wrapped in white linen. Then I brought in some rugs and layered them and transformed a white rattan hamper that I wasn’t using into a table by topping it with a round tray that I have. The great part is that when you remove the tray, blankets and extra pillows are stored inside.

Easy Porch Decorating

I also brought in a few things from storage that I wasn’t using (like the step stool and folding plant stand from IKEA), and pulled together a little spot on my three season porch where I can relax on the weekends. The best part is, this balcony faces the forest so I have lots of green things to admire and listen to – birds sing all day in the trees outside so I find this resting spot a very peaceful space. Plus, there is sunlight all day from early morning until late afternoon. It’s wonderful!

Easy Porch Decorating

Easy Porch Decorating

I still have to decide what I will put on the walls, and I plan to install a vintage wall light as well, but for now this works perfectly for me. My husband will never use it — he’s not a “porch guy” unless there is a grill involved, so I could girl-it-up a bit. So far, nothing that you see was purchased for this room – just borrowed from other parts of my home or given to me by friends like the felted beads hanging across the window. Some things are from Morocco that I’d not been able to use yet, like the leather slippers and the bed covering. This porch is off of our bedroom which makes it a great nook to escape to to enjoy iced tea and some sunshine.

Easy Porch Decorating
Easy Porch Decorating

I have two porches and a balcony, so I am lucky to have many little places to runaway to when I need some fresh air and nature. Do you have a chill zone in your home where you go to unwind and relax? Where is it? What do you like to do there?

Have a nice Sunday, see you tomorrow!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kira May 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

That’s an absolutely gorgeous space that you’ve created! good on you!

• Reply heba May 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

your photos are so bright and lovely :)

• Reply Lidyll May 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Fantastic! Im just in love with the relaxing and cozy space you have created for yourself!*smile* Love it!

• Reply Lidyll May 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

…just have to say; You are so lucky to have this great balcony-almost like a vinter-garden*smile*

You inspire my so much!

• Reply decor8 May 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

@Lidyll – It’s called a wintergarten in Germany but in America we’d call it a three season porch.

• Reply Alexis May 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

This is so tranquil. I would probably leave the walls bare or maybe hang simple pencil sketches in pale wood frames. The view is already so beautiful, just like a tree house.

• Reply Lidyll May 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You inspire me so much!

• Reply Sondra May 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

beautiful, Holly! so soft!

• Reply laura evans May 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm

so so pretty … i could totally spend my life out here with a stack of books & the little guy! gorgeous chica. happy sunday :)

• Reply Lidyll May 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm

aha…so thats what you call it…thank you, good to know*smile*
    Either way, it is fantastic*smile*

• Reply Adrienne Audrey May 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Molly May 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

What a lovely spot to curl up and enjoy a lovely afternoon!

• Reply leslie May 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

So gorgeous Holly! Your photographs are stunning. Take more!!!

• Reply decor8 May 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

@Leslie – Thank you, you know I’m shy about it! Must. Get. Over. That.

• Reply la boom! May 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Lovely space! Fresh and dreamy :)

• Reply el {what you fancy} May 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Stunning, Holly – what a perfect place to sit and daydream :) I have just spring-cleaned my outside patio, so it’s clear of weeds and over-hanging branches… now I just need to pretty it up! Thanks for sharing your pics, El x

• Reply Shari May 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

You’ve put together a very refreshing place to relax, Holly! It’s hard to believe that all the stuff was just pulled from other places or storage!! I don’t have storage here… old apartments are just not big on storage space! But I do get sunlight in all the rooms, pretty much all day, so I’m happy! I haven’t made a spot to relax… right now, I’d have to say that once the weather is warmer, it will be on the front porch. It’s covered, but rain blows in when it’s windy. We haven’t done much to it yet, other than put two old painted wooden folding chairs out there and a little occasional table with a mosaic top. I’ll blog when we do fix it up, though! :-)

• Reply London Lisbonite May 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm

What a wonderful nook! You’ve made me want to put a ceiling on my garden so that I can use it more than three weeks a year!

• Reply Kirsten May 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

What a gorgeous and inspirational post – your home is gorgeous! I love the soft color palette. You did a great job! I have a feeling I will be referencing these photos when I have a home to fix up!

• Reply Cyndi May 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

What a wonderful place to curl up and read while you are enjoying nature! I love the fresh white backgrounds popped with a hint of color- easy to change as the mood strikes!
    I have a favorite lounge area on our back deck that is still awaiting dependable good weather. I’m anxious to get it out of winter mothballs. My other favorite spot is my sunny window seat that enjoys the same wonderful view out to a beautiful lake and surrounding foliage. It is an ‘all season’ setting where I love to sit, read, & relax.

• Reply Sarah May 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

It really looks great Holly, what a wonderful spot to ‘hang’ – I have a little back deck that looks out on some woods, which is nice and I have a ‘tunnel’ – its mesh for my cat, so we can hang out there together. I also painted a couple of things for my bedroom makeover out there. As for the house, well, my little corner of the living room houses my laptop for my blogging. Not so private, but it works. Have a great Sunday!

• Reply Sylee May 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Wow, so inspiring! I have a neglected porch that I’ve been meaning to pretty up for ages — some lovely ideas here to try out. Thank you.

• Reply Giulia May 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm

We used to have a porch like this in our apartment in Switzerland…it was the perfect place to sleep on hot summer nights.

Looks lovely Holly…what a nice retreat.

• Reply All things nice... May 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Your interiors rreally inspire me but my room never looks as good as yours. You have such good style and wonderful pieces in your home

All things nice…

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 8, 2011 at 7:58 pm

what a beautiful soft and dreamy..have a lovely sunday, holly..xx meenal

• Reply Will May 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m with Leslie – more, more, more. Thank you for sharing your Sunday afternoon chill out with us, Holly!

• Reply Yvonne May 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Your wintergarten is so beautiful and so is your photography. I absolutely love the light you get there and it’s such a clever idea to put a daybed in there so you can sunbathe behind the glass. Love, love, love.

• Reply Bobbi May 8, 2011 at 8:15 pm

What a marvelous space to sit in the mornings with a cup of coffee! I love all that light.

• Reply A.Beaverhausen May 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm

oh I love this style!

• Reply Janneke May 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Wow, you turned that space into a really cosy porch! That’s a really nice porch, you can even sit there when it rains and curl up on the bed with a cup of tea. I don’t have a space like that, but seeing this room makes me wanna turn just a little corner into my own relax zone :)

• Reply Suki May 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Great transformation!

• Reply Flora May 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

oh this is utterly *darling* what an inviting space LOVE

• Reply g May 8, 2011 at 11:11 pm

loving the peonies! such a beautiful place to curl up and read a book!

• Reply donaville May 9, 2011 at 12:04 am

lovely getaway. nice and bright and airy. love all your decorative details!

• Reply Nat@ dear little house May 9, 2011 at 1:12 am

I’m jealous of your little spot in the sunshine! Having said that, as I sit here typing this the builders are noisily demolishing the back two rooms of our house to make way for our fabulous extensions, so soon enough I will have my new little place to sit in the sunshine :)

It’s great that you managed to pull together such a great spot from things that you already had. I like that!

• Reply City Chic - Jamie May 9, 2011 at 2:13 am

oooh, so lovely! We just built our deck and patio last summer. Winter has finally gone away so I am starting to pull things to move out to those areas, fresh flowers soon hopefully! Your area is inspiring!

• Reply mirjam May 9, 2011 at 2:45 am

Oh my! What loveliness….

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 9, 2011 at 3:03 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. i want to perch there, with some tea, some laughter & a great book. Okay? I’ll be right o’vah! :) It is just gorgeous hunnie & that is my FAVE kind of decorating ( borrowing & repurposing things already about) I ADORE that hamper….the slippers, the felt beads across the windows, the iron day bed( want one of those so much or a wicker one), the sunlight streaming in and all the beautiful touches in pink & silver. DON’T be shy about your photographs! They are STUNNING hunnie, I am with Leslie. As someone who really isn’t that great at taking them, I appreciate gorgeous ones when I see them! :)

• Reply Vicki (simply hue) May 9, 2011 at 3:12 am

What a sweet peaceful place to spend a Sunday. :) I’m amazed at, not only your talent when it comes to decorating/designing, but also in photography, Holly. Wow!

• Reply sécia May 9, 2011 at 3:20 am

So cozy!

– sécia

• Reply Keren May 9, 2011 at 4:02 am

What a gorgeous space Holly, I just want to sit down with a book and a cup of tea. Peaceful and serene.

• Reply Allyn May 9, 2011 at 4:07 am

Love your style! Your porch looks so relaxing and light. It’s the perfect peaceful little get-away!

• Reply leah May 9, 2011 at 4:32 am

‘Decorate’ arrived in my mail box yesterday. I bribed myself into cleaning my home before i was allowed to open the package. One clean space later, a pot of tea and your book made for a perfect moment! Thank you, it is a wonderful book full of eye candy. Congratulations.

• Reply decor8 May 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

@Leah – Thank you! I’m happy that you enjoyed it!!! :)

• Reply Katie May 9, 2011 at 5:12 am

I love getting a peek in your home–this is so quiet, simple, and pretty. I want a porch so so so much!

• Reply diane May 9, 2011 at 6:07 am

great post!

• Reply FIDM Fashion Club May 9, 2011 at 6:40 am

OMG!!! There is a HUGE difference in the before and after of this porch! I never thought about decorating your porch but then again, it is another space that is part of your house! This look is totally relaxing and chic. I am loving it :)

• Reply alex wijnen May 9, 2011 at 7:03 am

Absolutely gorgeous! And I love the peony, it’s my all-time favorite flower :)

• Reply Lisette May 9, 2011 at 8:19 am

What a lovely space you have created – I am quite jealous! ;)
    Thanks for your previous post too; it’s very inspirational and moving!

• Reply Marlene May 9, 2011 at 9:58 am

Holly, it looks so cozy and inviting! Lucky you, who has a friend that gives vintage french metal beds to you… ;-)

• Reply Debbie May 9, 2011 at 10:20 am

Wow, I would not want to leave that peaceful place. Im sure it quite romantic in winter too ;) x

• Reply Ilze May 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

Sheer bliss !!! What dreamy space you created ! Nice enough to go into your next book !!

• Reply Lynn May 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

Oh, how inviting! And lucky you, living next to a forest!

• Reply Designer Textiles May 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’m looking for inspiration to tackle my garden patio area and I love the concept of an ‘outdoor’ garden room.

You guys have given me several ideas so thank you ;-)

• Reply Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely May 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm

What a lovely haven you have created! It looks so bright and sunny and like the perfect place to go and relax.

• Reply Mem May 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm

wonderful… really like it….
    lovely & charming photos too….

• Reply Traveling Mama May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

What? You shy about your photos? Nonsense! Your photos are beautiful and I second Leslie! I have been rearranging our flat as well. It must be Spring! My husband surprised with with loads of flowers for Mother’s Day and I thought of you because he bought me a Dronning Ingrid!

• Reply POPI BALOURI May 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

You ‘ve done a great job with the place ……. i just want to come over and l sit at your “three season porch”. Its so shiny…. in Greece we don’t have that room (only balcony or yard….).
    And unfortunately at my house i don’t have space for anything not even for my little crafts…!!!!

• Reply elissa @ faucethead May 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm

what a great space. i love that you have a retreat that’s all your own for those less than stellar days. and this time of year is the best for sneaking outside at any possible moment!

• Reply Daniella May 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm

This is insanely gorgeous Holly! I can only hope i’ll be able to make my little balcony space this pretty!

• Reply Cristina May 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm

What a lovely porch! Mine porch at the moment is practically under construction..

• Reply katy May 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

This just really got me in the mood for Spring! Oh how I love your flower photos!

• Reply Lucia May 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

very beautiful Holly! your photos are great too!
    My scape is my garden that was completely empty when we move in but slowly we are transforming in our little outdoors paradise. Crossing the street there is an old house with an amazing garden full of threes and that is the most closest to a forest we could have here around :) I love the fresh air from the forest, I used to live closed to one in Germany but there is no forest here so he have to get the best of what we have around.

• Reply Kirsten Thijssen May 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Wow, Holly! I’m so inspired to redo my own balcony now. :)
    Also: did you use a different camera or do you just have really good light in your Winter Garten?

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

@Kirsten – I have a new camera thanks to my husband! It’s a Canon EOS 600D and I have two lens for it, the standard lens (which I shot for the wide views) and a 50mm lens for the close up shots. I have to work more on my settings, but I proudly shot these photos using the AV setting vs. M which I usually fall back on but the AV setting really gave me some beautiful light plus the porch was sunny to begin with.

• Reply Meghan @ My Wishful Thinking May 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Gosh that is so gorgeous! I am always so amazed that you can transform a space like that and make it your own! We have a little deck area outside that seriously needs a lot of work but with inspiration like this, I will get around to it quicker!

• Reply Lizet May 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh! So pretty, I have to buy those color glazes for my shop!

• Reply Andreia May 9, 2011 at 11:47 pm

This is so gorgeous Holly! I’m lucky to have a garden (…but it is empty, we are still planting some grass and flowers. And in the meantime I must get some inspiration to decorate the corner to lunch or dinner outside, enjoying the sunny Summer days here in Portugal.
    These posts are really helpful!

• Reply Tracey May 9, 2011 at 11:59 pm

so gorgeous and dreamy!

• Reply FWDstore May 10, 2011 at 12:02 am

Absolutely stunning. Can you come over to my house please and make my porch look like this? :)

• Reply Glenda Childers May 10, 2011 at 1:40 am

I am having so much fun working on my outside porch today. Flowers everywhere. Spring has finally come to Chicago.

• Reply Amelia@ Wind Chimes May 10, 2011 at 2:48 am

This will also look good on my patio. The loveliest of all pink and the fullest of all turquoise .

If I have the same vase, I will paint or design it with something lovely, but the color will still be the same.

What kind of flower is that? Is that artificial?

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

@Amelia – Hello! The flowers are all real – peonies and a potted dronning ingrid from Denmark.

• Reply Mari May 10, 2011 at 3:56 am

Hi Holly, nice photos you got here. The arrangement of things are well done plus the color combinations are magnificent. It makes the whole place looks fabulous!

• Reply Katie Truelove May 10, 2011 at 4:36 am

I do not have any outdoor space so I love imagining how I’d decorate and sped time on a porch! Hope you soak in lots of summertime fun there:) I also have one of those Ikea step stools and put a few little pots with herbs on top– those things are great!

• Reply Nicole May 10, 2011 at 5:55 am

Just beautiful! And where, oh where did you get those lovely slippers?

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

@Nicole – Thank you! I bought them in Marrakesh in the medina at a few of my favorite shops for shoes – these are made really well and don’t smell like so many of the others there (they have “cow” smell if you know what I mean, depends on how they were treated when produced, not the cows, the shoes). :)

• Reply manvi @ mochatini May 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

gorgeous. i have a tiny space like this out in my yard but i need to bug proof it asap as we get closer to the summer. DC has WAY too many mosquitoes. my dining room is a close alternative

• Reply Heather May 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

I agree with Will, Tina and Leslie. More photos please. You are gifted in so many wonderful ways. These images stir something deep within my heart. It is as if I am there with you now on your back porch, part of your intimate world. That is what makes you a treasure dear Holly… your continual approachability despite your fame. You are always a dear friend to us all.

Thank you!

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

@Heather – Wow, your comment really grabbed something deep inside! I have no clue how to use my new camera, my husband bought me a Canon 600D for our upcoming anniversary and I took these photos with it and felt like for the first time in my life, what I saw in my mind finally transferred itself out of me, into the scene, and back into the lens. I’ve had many moments like this in the past month – unsure as to why – perhaps it’s a shift inside of me – but it feels good. I let something go recently, emotionally speaking, and I’m not sure how or why or what exactly but I’ve felt very peaceful inside with MYSELF. It’s so hard to explain in a blog comment but perhaps I’ll keep trying to explain as I go because I’ve had one epiphany after another lately… Thank goodness for aging is all I can say. I never thought I would say that but it’s true – once you get through your twenties and into your mid to late thirties stuff really gets CLEAR. Once you are there, you may see the same Heather in your own life and now I’m curious if you may have hit it earlier than me even since you always seem so open, honest and embracing.

• Reply Cecil May 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

It looks like a lazy Sunday, very comfortable and breezy. :) The pillows are lovely!

• Reply Emma Treadgold May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous and just had to comment! Love the light streaming in and especially the transformation of the white rattan basket…great job.

• Reply Miss Walker May 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Holly, you are so talented! This space is so gorgeous! Can’t get enough of ‘Decorate’ either and wanted to share the love, so am giving away a copy on my blog. Hope you don’t mind sharing the link here Miss Walker xoxo

• Reply A.Beaverhausen May 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

oh I love this style!

• Reply ArticulateArt May 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Great pictures!!! the space looks really pretty!

• Reply amy May 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

wow what an absolutely gorgeous space. i am loving that it faces the forest and that you can hear the birds singing while you sit. i’m thinking about getting a birdfeeder for our patio – we’re up several floors tho so we’ll see if we’re able to entice some birds to come visit out our way.

• Reply Anastasia May 11, 2011 at 2:33 am

it looks like such a lovely light filled space – lucky you! would be great place to have your coffee, read and just daydream!….beautiful photos Holly!

• Reply Lotta ? May 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Lovely pictures! Your beautiful blog is such an inspiration.

• Reply desi May 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm

beautiful light! ^^

• Reply Eloisa May 12, 2011 at 8:04 am

So pretty. Thank you for sharing these. Definitely would love to see more personal house style on here.

• Reply Haust May 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love your porch! Reminds me I have to tidy up our porch so we can start using it again…! ;)

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

• Reply Amy May 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Holly, so serene, airy, inspiring and uplifting, your posts bridge the gap between lifestyle and interiors magazines, and my life. Somehow you make it seem possible and not impossible. You have such a clear vision and voice that seems to resonate with so many of us, thank you. Amy

• Reply Ada @ New York May 13, 2011 at 4:23 am

what a lovely porch .. feels so relaxing. I am currently working on decorating my den (aka: guest room, meditation room, and eventually turning it into a .. a nursery). I have the furniture placement, and colors picked, and finished painting a moroccan design using a stencil and LOVING it … then got side tracked with work and mini get-a-way to San Francisco. Aiming to have it complete before we leave for Europe… so I can come back to it and relax .. and maybe by then start prepping it as the official nursery :) Thanks for sharing ur photos.

• Reply Beatrice May 13, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I absolutely love the porch. It is so adorable and it looks like such a peaceful place. Perfect place for catching up on some reading. Did you make the pillows or did you buy them? Have a great weekend.

• Reply Yvonne May 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

That turned out lovely Holly! I could curl up there and read all day long or doze away! Glad to see something of your home as well!

• Reply Em C May 19, 2011 at 8:03 am

Gorgeoouuuus. That wall screams to me a massive white vintage mirror or a grouping of 5-7 vintage mirrors to reflect your blessed aspect to all that greenery. Please more photos – no one with your talent should hesitate to share & subsequently inspire!!!

• Reply susan June 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

really lovely! i’ve been working on my porches too!! susan

• Reply Colleen June 4, 2011 at 1:32 am

Wow, I wish I could just plop down right there, nice job you’ve done sprucing up the space, it’s very relaxing, inviting, soothing, just perfect! :)