Shopping + Products

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

May 10, 2011

I can really get into wish listing things. Are you with me? They are a lot of fun to pull together but even more, they often motivate me to get things done or to have a certain goal to work towards. Currently, I’m wish listing storage items for my home – everything from zip bags for blankets to bins and magazine folders. There is no doubt about it, when I’m organized I can do my best work. What about you? Some function really well in chaos but I need definite places for everything and a neat space so that my ideas can flow freely. If I’m not organized, I feel like I’m walking in wet sand up to my knees. To motivate myself to get organized at home, I created a wish list for furniture that I’d like to share with you that is both good looking and practical that I also know can help me to get my act together. Introducing my storage wish list…

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

Pretty, right? I love wooden cabinets, preferably vintage, in gray tones, gray-browns, creamy whites and pure whites… I like them painted inside in a favorite color that is really striking or wallpaper inside. I like hardware that is pretty like hand-painted ceramic knobs. But most of all, I like containing my stuff in set places so I can have some peace of mind! I don’t know if you are the same, but when I can’t find my scissors or packing tape for a box I’m about to send I get a little peeved!

I believe that everything in the home should have a place. Keys, spices, dish towels, linens, tacks, scissors… you simply must devote a space to everything, including spare buttons and stamps, because those are always the items that you turn over your house trying to find the second you need them and you know you have a stamp laying around somewhere! Another organization tip is that you have to return items to their nook immediately after use to avoid clutter and chaos as well.

I’m currently in the process of organizing my home and for me it means buying furniture. I’ve not purchased much for my new place since moving in last October. I know, eek is right! The space I had before this one was significantly smaller (550 sq ft) so I had all of the storage and furniture that I needed in a one bedroom apartment. But now that my home has 2,300 sq ft and huge open rooms, I need to furnish it properly. First though, I’ve spent a lot of time THINKING. I really needed to get a feel for this massive city apartment – a feel for the space, what I want to do in each room, etc. before investing in furniture. It’s natural when you first move in to a home to go out and buy everything and be done with it within a few weeks. Problem with that is, you make purchases you often regret later on. You have to get a feel for the space before investing in quality pieces of furniture.

Would you like to see the first item that I purchased on my storage wish list? Here it is….

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

Above you can see my new cabinet shown in the Lys Vintage shop in Hamburg. I first “met” it several months ago in person and fell in love at first sight. I particularly love how solid it is and that it’s this gorgeous gray brown wood with glass doors. It doesn’t hurt that it’s a new piece but made from vintage wood and that it is from France. It will arrive in just a few weeks and I cannot wait to use it. Once it arrives, I’ll show you where I’ve placed it in my home and what I’ve put inside so perhaps it will motivate you to get organized if you’re not currently. I ordered it from Simone who owns Lys Vintage and curates the lovely selection in this favorite shop of mine located in nearby Hamburg.

Now I’m looking for a closet with a single door, in wood, that I can put in my guest bedroom. We will use it to store winter coats and also as a place for guests to hang some of their garments. I am sourcing for something like this one currently, can you see it there in the left corner in creamy white? I think Simone sold this one, so I’m in the prowl for something similar, definitely an antique and not a reproduction piece, for the guest room.

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

My next dream storage cabinet is shown below, it’s a photo taken by Debi Treloar for my book, Decorate!

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

This beauty is tall, antique, from France, gray, solid wood, and inside it has only shelves so it would be perfect for my work room to use as a crafts/props closet where I can store everything that I use and love but can also hide stuff in an attempt to have less visual clutter in my work area since it distracts me quite a lot. I’m not sure where I can find a cabinet like it, most likely a flea market or eBay, so I’m on the prowl… This one is in Tine’s dining room, owner of Tine K Home. Does anyone have some leads for me? Ideally I’d love one in gray like Tine’s but I have plenty of paint and so I don’t care what color the cabinet is in because if it’s wood, I can paint it! I also want to wallpaper inside… Because Shannon Fricke’s cabinet below that I wrote about nearly a year ago hasn’t left my radar.

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

And finally, do you remember Atelier Charivari that I wrote about awhile back as well? I fell head over heels in love with this cabinet below with the green interior. See…

Storage Wish List (+ some organizing tips)

And yes, I’m also looking for something like this for my home too. I hope to eventually find all of the storage that I need (German homes and apartments typically do not come with closets so no room in my home has one except for the kitchen, hence my need for storage!). Remember, I’m American. I come from the land of walk-in closets so this has been an adjustment for me.

So those are my dream storage cabinets, currently on my wish list with the exception of the one I will soon own and the others that I hope to have the patience to source and find.

What’s currently on your wish list? Does your wish list motivate you or depress you? Do you have links to share to pages where you keep your wish lists?

(images: first two: lys vintage, third: debi treloar for decorate.)

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

• Reply Lynn May 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I came across some pretty cupboards and cabinets yesterday at http://www.weldaad.com – and you’ll be in Amsterdam soon anyhow! :-)
    http://www.old-basics.nl has lots, too…

• Reply krisz May 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm

the unit from Lys vintage is gorgeous!

me, I would love some old and customised furniture from this vintage store http://www.nepbolt.hu/en/products/alpage-pine-38.html – it’s too far for us to haul back especially with no car!

• Reply Shannon May 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Your new cabinet is lovely! Such a beautiful gray. Gonna’ put something similar on my wish list.

• Reply juliette May 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I’ve enjoyed using boards on Pinterest as my wishlists for all sorts of things. One of the wish-boards is admittedly depressing simply because pretty much everything on it is out of my project’s budget, HOWEVER, it’s forcing me to think about how we could DIY some of the things. If we can DIY some items/concepts we should be able to afford a couple of pricier key pieces.

• Reply Glenda Childers May 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I am happy that you are having such a great time decorating your new home.

fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply sarah May 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Lovely storage!

Where is the silvery grey fabric lampshade from in the 3rd photo down?

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

@Sarah – That is from TINEK Home.

• Reply Gloria May 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm

So many pretty cabinets!!! I just fulfilled my storage wish list by refinishing an armoire… See it here.
    I love the one you got because of the glass. I wish I had cabinets like these in every room! My friend’s mom bought an antique cabinet from France that’s like 10 feet tall. I drool every time I see it.

• Reply Tine May 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm

love the lys vintage cabinet!!

• Reply Hannah/Sundry Mumsy May 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Love the cabinet with the botanical interior! Got my creative juices churning!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I am EXACTLY the same way….friends always ask me how I keep my house so neat and I say I am not a crazy cleaner or anything..I am just a big ” putter awayer” :) Firm believer in everything having a place & everything put back in it’s place. Cause I feel the same way, that is a great way to describe it, “walking in wet sand up to my knees”. I truly can NOT think when everything is in disarray. I try not to make everyone else feel my anxiety about it too but, instead I just quietly put everything back over and over again( somehow my little ones don’t feel the same way about everything back in it’s place…huh.) :)
    LOVE these cabinets ( and adore Tina K’s whole dining room to pieces…so badly want to paint all of my floors white, yipe!) love the one you bought hun, it is simply perfect. I will keep my eyes out for others like the ones you want. Can’t hurt! And….you know where I compile my wishlist! Pinterest, baby! :) ( sometimes it bums me out, that certain things will never be mine but, mostly it just motivates me)
    xo
    Melsi

• Reply Forever Lovely May 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I love the new cabinet! The glass doors are great for being able to see all of your organized things inside! Organization is key for me to be efficient in my work as well. Even if things have their own container, buttons, paper, etc. life is so much easier! Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

-Forever Lovely

foreverlovelydesign.blogspot.com

• Reply Ana May 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Talking or reading about organizations makes me incredibly happy.

• Reply G is for Grow May 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm

What a great inspiration!

• Reply The Dandelion Chronicles May 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I am soooo with you!! Wish lists, to do lists, have done already lists, never will lists etc etc etc etc…. Almost at the point of compulsive writing! ;)

• Reply Wrenaissance Art May 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I’m trying to find the perfect kitchen cart or island right now for my studio. The old ironing board I use as a palette table takes up too much space,doesn’t keep stuff tucked away, and worst of all, isn’t sturdy enough for an extra work surface. :-)

• Reply sandra lund May 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I really need to be organized as well, all though it doesn’t always happen :-)

The white cabinet in the second big picture is a type that in Denmark is known as “karlekammerskab” (maybe translate into “farmhand closet” ) and is very common, cheap and easy to get your hands on here, I have one I plan to paint white with a fresh color inside :-)

• Reply Matt Evans May 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

The cabinet witht the pretty patterned interior is simply stunning. I really have to do something like that with my own wardrobes at home.

• Reply Shari May 10, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Lovely cabinets, all. When I lived in Santa Cruz, there was this antique store that sold mainly armoires. I used to go in and dream about owning one. They weren’t very expensive… around $200 – $1000 each.
    After I moved to Fremont, I found that they had an antiques auction every Tuesday. I went with a friend of mine, who let me use her paddle to bid on an armoire… a simple English hardwood armoire with very simple lines. I got it for $145! It’s beautiful, and I’ll have it forever. If you could find a nice auction, I bet you could get something fab for less…. they’re fun to bid at, too!!

• Reply Cindy May 10, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I really want to be a “putter awayer.” Sadly, I am more of a “just stacker.” But I love the idea, and at least that is something. Oh, and my wish list is more of an upper than a downer.

• Reply Melissa May 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’ll never stop making wish lists! They’re what keep me inspired. I love the idea of wallpaper inside a cabinet.

• Reply Iris May 10, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Van Dijk en ko in Amsterdam http://www.vandijkenko.nl has many, many old cabinets, you may want to visit them while you are in Amsterdam.

And to answer your questionL I have so many things on my wish list. Having a blog and following blogs does not make the list smaller… I dream of a Barchelona chair, an Eames rocker or an Eames EA670, but those are a bit out of reach for the moment, and that is ok. We have to keep dreaming, right? More in reach are a new cabinet for little O., Farrow&Ball paint for our bedroom (parma gray) and my love’s study (calamine) and a white IPhone. Hope to be able to strike them of my list soon :)
    x Iris

• Reply sécia May 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I am in need of some massive storage as well. Having a house built in 1951, (when people didn’t have much to store), makes it very difficult to find space to put all my crap!

sécia

• Reply Jess May 10, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I am so crazy for organized spaces like your inspiration pics above. I love how you did all white boxes and accessories in your cabinet-I loooong for that much clutter control and the feeling of power over my stuff it would be sure to bring!

• Reply Marilyn Saunders May 11, 2011 at 2:54 am

My daughter just phoned and raved about your wish list and organizing skills.

She is busy with her career but always makes time for your blog.
    You reach such a wide audience with mass appeal!

• Reply Dominique May 11, 2011 at 4:42 am

They are all so beautiful, but I have to say- that pendant light at Lys Vintage (the sort of layered one) is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a very long time. Best of luck in your search!

• Reply Rachel May 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

i totally can relate to this. definitely have a looong wish list and most of things i like are posted on my blog. I wanted to buy a kitchen cabinet and a new work desk and im seeing a lot of inspirations online. Budget is a BIG Factor. I would say that keeping a wish list does motivates me. It can be frustrating to know that i cannot afford most but being inspired by them is great:)

• Reply sara May 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

I am in LOVE with Shannon Fricke’s cabinet…SWOON :)

• Reply Pat May 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

The Lys Vintage Cabinet is to die for. I love the colour scheme that’s going on! Wish I had the space for new cabinets!

• Reply meagan May 11, 2011 at 11:57 am

Oh if I made a list for every ‘wish list’ I had I would just have reams and reams of lists everywhere in my house…. Not working right means that I have way too many wish lists on the go! But its good as it makes me think carefully about every single thing we bring into the house and how much we need it. Thanks for sharing your wishes with us Holly!
    xo Meagan

• Reply Traveling Mama May 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I really wanted vintage closets for our new flat, but I couldn’t find anything quick enough, so I settled for an IKEA closet and switched out the knobs for pretty glass ones. I know just what you mean about lack of storage. My closet is one meter wide and that holds everything I own. It’s ridiculously unAmerican! Just this morning we were talking about the fact that my sister’s closet is bigger than our bedroom!

• Reply laura May 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

i love your wishlist, it made me realize what i actually want my home to look like after restyling it a bit this summer: more clean and with more space for hidden storage! i would also love to buy some great vintage shelves, but i think good ones are hard to find here in germany, aren’t they?

i agree with you: my wishlists also motivate me instead of making me feel depressed. sometimes i even some up with ideas on how to make something similiar with something i already own!

• Reply hena tayeb May 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Oh I love the closet with the wall papered interior.