DIY: Spring Garlands Using Liberty Fabrics

Are you ready to be inspired by some tabletop DIY ideas? Today London-based stylist Sania Pell has so generously taken time away from writing her next book to join all of us on decor8 to share how to add handmade touches to your table. I have three posts from her that she so beautifully prepared to inspire your next party, from a wedding to a sweet and festive brunch at home amongst friends, all taken from the styling demo that we did at Liberty in London last month for the launch party celebrating my new book Decorate. Take it away, Sania!

Hello everyone, it’s Sania here. I’m sure you have all seen Holly’s post about the Decorate book launch and styling demo at Liberty last month. It was an amazing day and a pleasure to collaborate with Holly and Leslie and to meet everyone who came along. If you were there, I do hope you took some useful ideas away with you to use at home. If you weren’t able to make it, then Holly has kindly given me the opportunity to share how to make some of the items we created.

I thought I would start by showing you how to make these decorative Spring garlands.

I love the way these garlands look like little Spring branches with new leaves and blossom – perfect for a Springtime party. The great thing about these garlands too is they are made so that they look equally lovely from both sides, so you can hang them as you wish.

They are quite simple to make and although we used Liberty’s own fabric designs. You can see a selection of their patterns on their website.

Flower Garland DIY

You could be thrifty though and make them using scraps of fabric and ribbon you already have at home or if you want a specific color palette you could buy some ribbon and fabrics to match. They don’t use that much fabric, though it does depend on the length of your garland!

Flower Garland DIY

(Click HERE to download XL version of the above instructions.)

One of the things I talked about at the demo is that when styling , ‘a little bit of wrongness’ can make things right. It can make things more visually interesting and stop things looking too safe. We added a little bit of bright, neon ribbon to the garlands and overall table setting so that it didn’t become too matchy-matchy and to add a pop of colour to grab your eye as you look at it. – Sania Pell.

Thank you Sania for breaking this down for us – gorgeous and inspiring just like you!

Readers: If you have trouble reading the instructions above, please click on the image and then save/print it out to refer to while you’re making — or just drag and drop it to your desktop. Enjoy!

(images: sania pell, holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in diy, guest bloggers on May 16, 2011

1. Jessica commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 1:33pm

So sweet, and perfect for a wedding I’m currently working on. Love the tip to incorporate a little ‘wrongness’. The pop of orange is gorgeous! Thankyou so much for sharing this DIY with us xxj

2. Andreia commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 1:38pm

This is so lovely! I thinking to make one inspired by this to my girls’ bedroom! Thanks for sharing!
    Andreia´s last blog post ..Weekend links- La petite magazine &amp Joie

3. Móveis Rio de Janeiro commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 1:48pm

Lovely, thanks for idea!

4. Emma commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 1:57pm

Oh these are stupendous. I have to give them a go. I am usually a little scared of textile projects (being a jeweller and slight sewing dunce) but this looks straighforward and I know a couple of very small ladies who will covet the results.

5. Jane commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 2:37pm

What utter gorgeousness! Thanks so much for sharing this, Holly – I can’t wait to give it a try. I recently used Liberty fabric to make something pretty (http://www.lifeonplanetbaby.com/2011/04/distracting-myself-by-creating-some.html) and now have the bug – I can’t get enough! J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Sunday splendour- 15 May 2011

6. CeJay commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 3:14pm

Lovely and interesting post. Thanks for the ideals for my daughters bedroom!

7. elisa commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 3:26pm

so much fun. i saw some garlands on the winter toast catalogue, hanging along a staircase, vertically, i’d love to do that with something like this! my children would run off with them x

8. Maria commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 4:17pm

These are gorgeous and versatile. Love!

9. Maria commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 4:19pm

These are cute and versatile! Love!

10. hannah commented
    May 16th, 2011 at 6:13pm

More, more, Sania please! I love all your ideas, and wish you could come and styleout my home.

11. Sania Pell commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:12am

I’m so glad you like the garlands! They really are simple to make and you can use them for so many different things.

Sania x
    Sania Pell´s last blog post ..quick idea- disco vase

12. Heather T. commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:06am

Wow, I just love the simplicity and understated elegance of these. Thank you for sharing!
    Heather T.´s last blog post ..Horse Portraits

13. Nieves commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 11:06pm

Lovely!!! do you think that if I do it my-self it will be as nice?? I will give it a try! thanks!
    Nieves´s last blog post ..Super Natural Cooking

14. Fede commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 12:15pm

this is such an adorable idea!

15. Janet commented